• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 reportedly runs at 840p 60 FPs on the PS5 Pro; Remedy responds, no confirmation, more details coming

Zathalus

He does, and playstation care critical acclaim. He has send a angry email "clarifying" to DF before. The email was regarding the tempest engine and the atmos integration.

Technology is very difficult, he is doing a mix hardware, software, ML/AI on the cutting edge and at scale. It's very difficult if you work certain feature for almost a decade going through hardware, software, AI, involving different partners, internal teams, getting riduculed because of the ear shape(intregral to spacial localisation) only to become part of a console war drama narrative created by DF.

You can see in the reveal video and other older gifs that it's very stressful.

The engagement playstation have with DF is not working out, that is the reason to involve more mainstream/neutral outlet with CNET.

Ah yes, the ‘angry’ email that contains zero aggressive language of any kind.

You know people can simply fact check you if you make up bullshit right? Especially if you link the source right there.

The new mantra from PC maniacs now that PSSR exists:

"I never used DLSS anyway, just 4K DLAA. Even native is not enough for me"

You can't make this shit up

Until a week ago DLSS was the greatest thing since sliced bread

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nah, the best thing about DLSS is still how well it can reconstruct from a lower input resolution than any other upscaler.

PSSR, if it works as that patent suggests, could very well do better or worse depending on the scenario or aspect of the image being analyzed. Will be interesting to test for sure.. and hopefully with time, some better info comes out about how it's implemented in various games.

Taycan77

Are they?

Here are the Steam Statistics from Aug 2024.

Here are the GPUs used on Steam by percentage.
93gdq7.jpg

Old news? Lol.
Most PC gamers are using systems that are less potent than the PS5, nevermind PS5 Pro!

You know what the internets like, hide behind anonymity and claim to be be rocking a GPU that puts the latest consoles to shame.

Just look at the comments in various threads about PSSR & DLSS, many of these PC users don't even know how the tech works!

Like the guy who's been quoted in this thread on X, passing himself off as an insider, when he just watched an early release DF video. Then, when he's called out for his disingenuous and misleading posts, comes back with 'I have a 4090 and don't like consoles'. It's all platform waring bullshit.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Cerny needs to invite the DF team to see the Pro in person. Im hoping this will happen soon. IDK why on earth they invited CNET.
CNET doesn't have any of their own data to fall back on. They are less inclined to ask the right questions. No reason for Sony to go into risky waters when they can just drop a native ad on CNET.

PaintTinJr

Cerny needs to invite the DF team to see the Pro in person. Im hoping this will happen soon. IDK why on earth they invited CNET.
God no, not unless it is to announce full b/c for buyers of the drive, and even then only an invite for a retro connoisseur: John so it is actually a video that isn't comparing it to emulation on a Steamdeck or better.

Zathalus

Most PC gamers are using systems that are less potent than the PS5, nevermind PS5 Pro!

You know what the internets like, hide behind anonymity and claim to be be rocking a GPU that puts the latest consoles to shame.

Just look at the comments in various threads about PSSR & DLSS, many of these PC users don't even know how the tech works!

Like the guy who's been quoted in this thread on X, passing himself off as an insider, when he just watched an early release DF video. Then, when he's called out for his disingenuous and misleading posts, comes back with 'I have a 4090 and don't like consoles'. It's all platform waring bullshit.
If you’re talking about me I’ve never claimed I’m an insider, all I did was summarize a video. I don’t recall being called out for anything either, or at least not somebody who actually has a point.

You’re right that I do indeed have a 4090 (it’s not some mythical GPU, Steam survey shows over 1.5 million are used by Steam users), but I don’t hate consoles, exactly the opposite actually. I’ve bought all PS5 and Switch exclusives this gen bar one. I’ll buy the Pro as well when the next exclusive rolls around worth playing.

Hopefully digital foundry can evaluate if PSSR is closer to DLSS 1.9 ( running shader cores) or 2.0 my hopes was that it's better than FSR and close to DLSS so far my hopes of it being better than FSR have been answered. Just looking at the footage it seems closer to DLSS 2.0 if the internal resolutions are correct 🤔

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
God no, not unless it is to announce full b/c for buyers of the drive, and even then only an invite for a retro connoisseur: John so it is actually a video that isn't comparing it to emulation on a Steamdeck or better.

Would be funny if they skip them and invite NXGamer for a deep dive.

XXL

100% and that's why they never address these posts when I start breaking out the Steam Statistics.....you know actual fucking data.

I love PC gaming and it has a ton of benefits that consoles don't, but alot of their talking points are just straight up fucking lies.

Last edited:

Senua

No the point be made is most users on Steam are using PCs weaker than the PS5......never mind the PS5 Pro.

It's not even close.
So what? You're on an enthusiast forum, most PC gamers here are gonna have pretty powerful gaming PC's

akira__

Ah yes, the ‘angry’ email that contains zero aggressive language of any kind.

You know people can simply fact check you if you make up bullshit right? Especially if you link the source right there.
Do you understand the reasons why Mark Cerny would write an email "clarifying"?

Of course, there is no angry language. That is not how you conduct yourself at that level, and certainly not with a email that is for the press. But the email was certainly written out of frustration.

Is share links so others can actually verify. And everyone can verify that the email wasn't a happy one, and that Richard talked to John as a school teacher.

"Oh my John what did you do this time"

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It costs 2ms in the configuration on that benchmark.

How many frames that will cost you will depend on what framerate you're targeting.
It costs 3-4 when you're running 40.
It's more like 20 at 100.
Any bench to prove that it cost something like 20 FPS at 100? Because the video I linked are nowhere close to 40FPS, they are much closer to 100 and yet the impact is like 5FPS max.

And what's the point of bringing ms now? That's not what I'm talking about (+2ms is ridiculous and unnoticeable anyway and even then you can turn reflex + boost and get better responsiveness than native).

Last edited:

Haint

It seems pretty obvious they very intentionally did NOT want someone like DF pixel peeping Pro. Their preliminary results are so bad basically everyone's thinking they're wrong, assuming the videos are pre-pre-alpha, and questioning whether all the extra cores are being devoted entirely to PSSR upscaling.

Basically a worst case scenario when trying to peddle an $800 console.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

So what? You're on an enthusiast forum, most PC gamers here are gonna have pretty powerful gaming PC's
Are you sure? What tier is above PS5? A lot of people here still probably on 12GB 3060 hardware or less. Without a poll for most active users showing we don't conform with the Steam survey, it is just an unfounded claim, no?

Senua

Are you sure? What tier is above PS5? A lot of people here still probably on 12GB 3060 hardware or less. Without a poll for most active users showing we don't conform with the Steam survey, it is just an unfounded claim, no?
I'm in PC threads a lot so over time you get to see what hardware people have. Quite a few 4090 owners here, lots of 4070s and lots of 3080s (including me)

Knightime_X

In all fairness, is it 840p then upscaled with its Pssr tech?
That makes it 1680p.
For scale 1440p already looks sexy af even on a 4k monitor.
I don't see a problem here if that's the case.

PaintTinJr

I'm in PC threads a lot so over time you get to see what hardware people have. Quite a few 4090 owners here, lots of 4070s and lots of 3080s (including me)
But all still anecdotal info to the size of the mighty Gaf and the vast numbers that will have Steam accounts for a laptop, etc. Minecrafting on potatoes + console, etc
You don't have numbers, and probably just hooked on feeling :)

Senua

But all still anecdotal info to the size of the mighty Gaf and the vast numbers that will have Steam accounts for a laptop, etc. Minecrafting on potatoes + console, etc
You don't have numbers, and probably just hooked on feeling :)
I don't see the relevance anyway? Us here in the thread have access to higher end PC hardware, so we're able to discuss these things.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
In all fairness, is it 840p then upscaled with its Pssr tech?
That makes it 1680p.
For scale 1440p already looks sexy af even on a 4k monitor.
I don't see a problem here if that's the case.

Because it's clickbait. Tomorrow, all these dumb gaming outlets will just copy and past this exact same without context.

People found out today how hardware ML/AI upscaling works. Even some PC kids on twitter screaming this nonsense, but they didn't pay attention to what DLSS is doing for them on the PC.

PaintTinJr

Senua

And that shows less than half from a tiny pool of under 400 people, most of which would be in the thread because the question was a real question to them having discrete GPUs.

The real figure for gaf based on that survey will much less, because as you own it out to those that couldn't be bothered to reply the numbers will go more potato.
parks and recreation whats your point GIF

Zathalus

No the point be made is most users on Steam are using PCs weaker than the PS5......never mind the PS5 Pro.

It's not even close.
Looking at the Steam data around 37% have a GPU roughly as powerful or more powerful vs the PS5. Based on the most recent monthly Steam estimates of 160-200 million active monthly users (extrapolated from CCU of 37 million) we arrive at 59-74 million PCs.

PCs with a GPU equal or better than the Pro come out to around 11.5%, or 18.5-23 million.

Compared to consoles a much larger portion of those PCs would be in China.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
And that shows less than half from a tiny pool of under 400 people, most of which would be in the thread because the question was a real question to them having discrete GPUs.

The real figure for gaf based on that survey will much less, because as you own it out to those that couldn't be bothered to reply the numbers will go more potato.
Not true though.

The 27 votes with 10GB GPUs are 3080 owners.

76 for 12GB which is a mix of 3060 12GB, 4070/S, and a minority on 6700/XT.

51 on 16GB of above. Those are all a tier above the PS5.

90 on 24GB which are 3090s/4090s and 3090 Tis.

Even assuming the 3060 makes up 75% of the 76 votes, you'd still end up with well over 50% of Gaf owning GPUs that are much more powerful than the PS5's GPU. Gaf is a forum for gamers and most of us are enthusiasts. We're nothing like the regular population on Steam.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Do you understand the reasons why Mark Cerny would write an email "clarifying"?

Of course, there is no angry language. That is not how you conduct yourself at that level, and certainly not with a email that is for the press. But the email was certainly written out of frustration.

Is share links so others can actually verify. And everyone can verify that the email wasn't a happy one, and that Richard talked to John as a school teacher.

"Oh my John what did you do this time"
You answered the question in your very first sentence, that is to clarify. Anything else is pure speculation on your part.

For a company that many here thinks hate DF they do a surprisingly amount of work with them. Exclusive dev interviews with Sony first party, early access to games, exclusive look at ProRes footage captured from the Pro…

akira__

You answered the question in your very first sentence, that is to clarify. Anything else is pure speculation on your part.

For a company that many here thinks hate DF they do a surprisingly amount of work with them. Exclusive dev interviews with Sony first party, early access to games, exclusive look at ProRes footage captured from the

Programmers speak in euphemisms such as: "pretty neat right"
Which means "That is fucking awesome"

"clarifying" means "no dumbass this is how it works"

Mark Cerny was a child prodigy going to Berkley at the age of 17. But now he writing emails to explain his invention to non technical people. It seems you are unaware how important he has been for the gaming industry. Look at his Wikipedia page it's insane. He had to drop his work and instead write a email to rectify DF. Probably the email first went through playstation PR department.

Second point.

It seems you totally miss the point of how companies work. Business is business, and DF has outreach while PlayStation wants to sell products to them.
It's called leverage; the goal is to sell more products.

They did just stiff them by going to CNET.

There are others that are xbox influences that playstation still has relationships with for example Paris.

The goal is to get to talk about playstation, because it still helps with awareness of the products they are selling. And even you with a 4090 is still in the market for ps5 pro.

Even if DF is negative, they still make video after video about the product.

L4JD2ks.jpeg

Last edited:

Seomel

Neo Member
Here are some screenshots from reveal in much better quality thanks to DF, still a bit of banding here and there

XXL

Looking at the Steam data around 37% have a GPU roughly as powerful or more powerful vs the PS5. Based on the most recent monthly Steam estimates of 160-200 million active monthly users (extrapolated from CCU of 37 million) we arrive at 59-74 million PCs.

PCs with a GPU equal or better than the Pro come out to around 11.5%, or 18.5-23 million.

Compared to consoles a much larger portion of those PCs would be in China.
Exactly.

Which ironically is extremely comparable to the sales of the PS5 and what the PS5 Pro should do.

It also doesn't really make the PS5 Pro's price seem that outrageous.

PaintTinJr

Not true though.

The 27 votes with 10GB GPUs are 3080 owners.

76 for 12GB which is a mix of 3060 12GB, 4070/S, and a minority on 6700/XT.

51 on 16GB of above. Those are all a tier above the PS5.

90 on 24GB which are 3090s/4090s and 3090 Tis.

Even assuming the 3060 makes up 75% of the 76 votes, you'd still end up with well over 50% of Gaf owning GPUs that are much more powerful than the PS5's GPU. Gaf is a forum for gamers and most of us are enthusiasts. We're nothing like the regular population on Steam.
You clearly don't understand how targeted surveying distorts results, and a 3060 is not conclusive of running games better or equal AFAIK. But even if a distorted poll absent of most potatoes gives you that, a full poll won't and the number will definitely slide the other way substantially.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You clearly don't understand how targeted surveying distorts results, and a 3060 is not conclusive of running games better AFAIK. But even if a distorted poll absent of most potatoes gives you that, a full poll won't and the number will definitely slide the other way substantially.
Dude, you’re plain wrong. 4090s are something like 1% of answers on Steam. Gaf would need to have a population 20x as big for your argument to make sense. We don’t have that many regulars here. A targeted survey wouldn’t bump 1% to 26%. Your claims are senseless.

I also removed the 3060 from the equation by assuming it's 75% of the 12GB GPUs.

Last edited:

Zathalus

When programmers or technical people speak they speak in euphemisms such as: "pretty neat right"
Which means "That is fucking awesome"

"clarifying" means "no dumbass this is how it works"

Mark Cerny was a child prodigy going to Berkley at the age of 16. But now he writing emails to explain his invention to non technical people.

It seems you totally miss the point of how companies work. Business is business, and DF has outreach while PlayStation wants to sell products to them.
It's called leverage; the goal is to sell more products.

They did just stiff them by going to CNET.

There are others that are xbox influences that playstation still has relationships with for example Paris.

The goal is to get to talk about playstation, because it still helps with awareness of the products they are selling. And even you with a 4090 is still in the market for ps5 pro.

Even if DF is negative, they still make video after video about the product.

L4JD2ks.jpeg
You presume to know quite a bit about Cerny there? Frankly the email comes off exactly how he always is, technical, professional, and to the point. Any perceived anger appears to stem from your own bias and is certainly not found in the structure or text of the letter.

As for Sony and DF, if they wanted to Sony can utterly destroy the credibility of DF if they found the coverage to be false or straight up dishonest. We have posters in this very thread that are claiming DF doesn’t know how to pixel count and PSSR is actually this miracle upscaling solution beyond anything else. If Sony thought something like that they certainly won’t keep quiet. Neither would Cerny for that matter.

And DF has been anything but negative about the new technology of the Pro, they are the ones praising PSSR. Pixel counting is just reporting the facts. They are negative about the price (although realistic) and lack of built in drive, but then again so is everyone else.

XXL

Comparing console prices to PC is tricky because of the inherent benefits you get with PC gaming, which is why people pay the premium.

free freedom GIF
I completely agree, but they both have benefits.

But in the end, the PS5 Pro is an pretty cost effective entry into high end gaming and that's undeniable.

akira__

You presume to know quite a bit about Cerny there? Frankly the email comes off exactly how he always is, technical, professional, and to the point. Any perceived anger appears to stem from your own bias and is certainly not found in the structure or text of the letter.

As for Sony and DF, if they wanted to Sony can utterly destroy the credibility of DF if they found the coverage to be false or straight up dishonest. We have posters in this very thread that are claiming DF doesn’t know how to pixel count and PSSR is actually this miracle upscaling solution beyond anything else. If Sony thought something like that they certainly won’t keep quiet. Neither would Cerny for that matter.

And DF has been anything but negative about the new technology of the Pro, they are the ones praising PSSR. Pixel counting is just reporting the facts. They are negative about the price (although realistic) and lack of built in drive, but then again so is everyone else.
Very positive videos. DF have always very positive about ps5 pro in particular that is known by everyone/s
KfNzi5M.jpeg

Top Bottom