• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Romulus | Rotten Watch

This movie isn't perfect but it's a lot more than I expected after the shit they brought out after 3.(Resurrection gets a guilty pleasure pass from me.) It's back to basics and I loved it. Would have loved a non juvinile cast more akin to the original Alien crew but it is what it is.

I am thankful an Alien movie in this style got made and I hope they expand on it.
Can't wait for the 4k Bluray release.

This movie isn't perfect but it's a lot more than I expected after the shit they brought out after 3.(Resurrection gets a guilty pleasure pass from me.) It's back to basics and I loved it. Would have loved a non juvinile cast more akin to the original Alien crew but it is what it is.

I am thankful an Alien movie in this style got made and I hope they expand on it.
Can't wait for the 4k Bluray release.
I think Fede accidentally made a good Dead Space movie.

Come to think of it.

Andy saved that chick from chest bursting all over the place by injecting her with the black goo from the X-Files because it came out of her vagina rather than her chest and she was very much alive afterwards. Shame that Cailee did not make it in time.

Ash and David are the real asshole androids of the franchise.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Very easily.
I have been watching all these blockbuster movies high af lately. Maybe its clouding my judgement. But when im high as hell on some weed I enjoy the FUCK Out of these movies. Its been so fun this year. Planet of The Apes, Civil War, Alien, The Omen. I have been having a blast in all of them. Like this movie was just awesome from start to finish for me. Do you smoke weed? If not, you should. For me it really elevates the movie going experience, espeically in IMAX.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have been watching all these blockbuster movies high af lately. Maybe its clouding my judgement. But when im high as hell on some weed I enjoy the FUCK Out of these movies. Its been so fun this year. Planet of The Apes, Civil War, Alien, The Omen. I have been having a blast in all of them. Like this movie was just awesome from start to finish for me. Do you smoke weed? If not, you should. For me it really elevates the movie going experience, espeically in IMAX.

Shit, dude. The Marvels is probably a blast when you're three joints deep.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I have been watching all these blockbuster movies high af lately. Maybe it’s clouding my judgement. But when im high as hell on some weed I enjoy the FUCK Out of these movies. It’s been so fun this year. Planet of The Apes, Civil War, Alien, The Omen. I have been having a blast in all of them. Like this movie was just awesome from start to finish for me. Do you smoke weed? If not, you should. For me it really elevates the movie going experience, espeically in IMAX.
If every movie is great on weed, it’s not the movie that’s great, it’s the weed. Glad you’re having a good time though!

I sat next to a couple of stoned Ukrainians who wouldn't shut the fuck up, had a couple of beers and sodas, vaped, devoured nachos and popcorn, missed half the movie as they were taking turns to go pee, and one of them in particular was gobsmacked by literally every space shot... When it ended they were incredibly excited and said it was awesome.

I was praying for a Russian missile to hit the seats next to me. But they really, really loved it. I suppose being on another plane of existence makes everything look good.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I sat next to a couple of stoned Ukrainians who wouldn't shut the fuck up, had a couple of beers and sodas, vaped, devoured nachos and popcorn, missed half the movie as they were taking turns to go pee, and one of them in particular was gobsmacked by literally every space shot... When it ended they were incredibly excited and said it was awesome.

I was praying for a Russian missile to hit the seats next to me. But they really, really loved it. I suppose being on another plane of existence makes everything look good.
Well that is shit. When im high watching a movie, I dont make a peep though - Im silent and just enjoy the audiovisual experience.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Damn man I loved the art direction and the sfx but the ridiculous plotpoints {teens stealing a cargo ship unnoticed, the space station full of research that was just abandoned etc etc) and the horrible young actors really soured the whole thing for me.

The best shots were just straight copies from previous movies.

Smoking a fat one before I went in didn't seem to help in my case.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Some positives were the attempt at world building in the beginning of the film.

Felt like Blade Runner of old. Overpopulated. Everyone miserable. We've never seen this part of Weyland before. Pretty neat to be honest.

This was very welcome. Unlike anything in any other Alien movie. Good stuff.

Puscifer

I truly can't tell if I loved or hated this movie.

I kinda hated that it brought back the black goo from Prometheus, because that means somehow the entire storyline set up in that and covenant was resolved off screen. I'll never forgive Ridley Scott for killing that story because he had to stop Blompkamp from making another alien film

Ulysses 31

Some positives were the attempt at world building in the beginning of the film.

Felt like Blade Runner of old. Overpopulated. Everyone miserable. We've never seen this part of Weyland before. Pretty neat to be honest.
Good thing you said attempt coz it doesn't really withstand scrutiny: Mineworkers can just get their shift hours doubled(planetwide IIRC) and that doesn't cause a ruckus, WY leaves a station abandoned knowing what it is, that android is allowed to walk around freely when it can interface with WY tech. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think Fede accidentally made a good Dead Space movie.

Fede Alvarez Alias Alan wake Uruguayan version

IWGLX9F.jpeg
kcETm9Q.jpeg

Last edited:

Doom85

Good thing you said attempt coz it doesn't really withstand scrutiny: Mineworkers can just get their shift hours doubled(planetwide IIRC) and that doesn't cause a ruckus, WY leaves a station abandoned knowing what it is, that android is allowed to walk around freely when it can interface with WY tech. :messenger_winking_tongue:

-The mining planet is clearly a slave planet in all but name only. A “ruckus” would probably be dealt with quickly.

-You’re assuming all of WY was notified of what was going on in the station. I highly doubt that, simply joining the company doesn’t just give you access to all their secrets, that would seem like a whistleblower disaster waiting to happen at any second. They likely didn’t bother informing any WY personnel on the planet on what was being done on the station (in fact, was the station even that close to the planet when disaster struck? It could have been much further out and slowly gotten closer due to the gravitational pull of the planet) and assumed the research would go fine. You might say, “well, that was arrogant of them”, and yeah no shit, WY personnel being arrogant, hardly a first for this series.

Now, if WY personnel on the planet noticed the station was growing closer to the rings as time went on, it IS a question why they didn’t put together something had gone wrong and send anyone to the station to at least try to rescue any potential crew members still on it. But that’s a different plot hole then what you suggested, again I think it’s feasible no one on the planet knew about the research.

-Why would they care about Andy on the planet? Like I said, I highly doubt any WY secrets were on file down there. Him walking around “freely” would hardly seem like a major risk.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Aliens have a civilization on another planet, they seem very ancient and were taught how to kill, alien movies like this demand questions, does our future have other worldly mining sites and abilities to travel far? From the biology of these aliens is they’re known to consume other species. Going back to their civilization these aliens show “hunting” abilities and gifts like climbing, fingers for possible building and are all aliens of this species aggressive? At some point a director will have to introduce other worldly beings.

Mic Drop GIF

Romulus was conducted very well, seeing all the inventions, including mysteries from Alien 1, perhaps it could have been better or worse, at my theater prime time only a few people gathered.
Alienmovie GIF by 20th Century Studios

I’ll hold this movie in high regard.

Kacho

Gold Member
7/10 seems about right for this. I very much enjoyed it but left with so many questions. Visually it was spectacular.
The space station crashing into the ice ring was chef’s kiss.

Couldn’t stand the retarded, childish android in the beginning, then he went to being the most compelling thing about the movie. Wish he had stayed that way the whole way through.

Not even sure wtf that ending was… 😂

People were waiting around for a post credits scene. Movies have been irreversibly damaged by Marvel shite.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

Just watched it and it’s better than the last ones. It’s okay and like a 6 or 7 out of 10. I was hoping for a bit more as I like his Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe.

It has some good stuff for an Alien film even if it was a lot of member berries. Disney loves doing that.

VulcanRaven

Did anyone else think facehuggers
were sometimes too strong but not always as threatening. The characters seemed to be able to fight them off too easily in the first scene they appear. I'm not sure if I liked them being able to come through glass. I did like the movie.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

-The mining planet is clearly a slave planet in all but name only. A “ruckus” would probably be dealt with quickly.
Some sign that the miners are mentally broken and just accept that kind of stuff or give a glimpse how WY keeps order around there would've been preferable. There's so many workers and they have access to heavy duty mining equipment and ships.
-You’re assuming all of WY was notified of what was going on in the station. I highly doubt that, simply joining the company doesn’t just give you access to all their secrets, that would seem like a whistleblower disaster waiting to happen at any second. They likely didn’t bother informing any WY personnel on the planet on what was being done on the station (in fact, was the station even that close to the planet when disaster struck? It could have been much further out and slowly gotten closer due to the gravitational pull of the planet) and assumed the research would go fine. You might say, “well, that was arrogant of them”, and yeah no shit, WY personnel being arrogant, hardly a first for this series.

Now, if WY personnel on the planet noticed the station was growing closer to the rings as time went on, it IS a question why they didn’t put together something had gone wrong and send anyone to the station to at least try to rescue any potential crew members still on it. But that’s a different plot hole then what you suggested, again I think it’s feasible no one on the planet knew about the research.
Of course a giant corp like WY would have lower(er) level workers that aren't informed about certain stuff. But that station was floating towards its doom for over 100 days seemingly without any other WY checking up on it. Those miner kids find out about the signal and they're seemingly the first to check out that station since its personnel got wiped out.
-Why would they care about Andy on the planet? Like I said, I highly doubt any WY secrets were on file down there. Him walking around “freely” would hardly seem like a major risk.
If it is a slave planet, allowing the slaves have access to that kind of tech just makes the slavers look dumb. A WY android doesn't seem that common in that era or place and you would stand out with it. And seeing what it can later on does raises questions why it hasn't been confiscated or altered to not be able to interface with any WY tech.

Last edited:
Of course a giant corp like WY would have lower(er) level workers that aren't informed about certain stuff. But that station was floating towards its doom for over 100 days seemingly without any other WY checking up on it. Those miner kids find out about the signal and they're seemingly the first to check out that station since its personnel got wiped out.
Doesn't Rook say it would take 6 months for a signal to reach WY? Or something like that...

MiguelItUp

I thought it was a lot of fun, and as a hardcore fan I really enjoyed it. I also loved how there were nods and connections to various films in the series. Didn't feel too fan service-y. My only gripes and qualms revolved around things that in hindsight pale to every good thing in the film, so I was very happy all in all. It was a safe film in a lot of ways, sure. But it was a fun experience with beautiful sets, and some really neat scenes. It's just so awesome to see an IP I love get more attention and love again. I just want to see more of it, and I hope that it continues to get treated with love and quality.

As for what I didn't like....
- I really wish the "member berry" quotes would stop in films. I don't understand Hollywood's obsession with them, but they never really land well. Everything here wasn't THAT bad, but my god the "Get away from her you bitch" line felt SO out of place and forced. Got the biggest involuntary eye roll and head shake from me.

- The other was the Rook CG. It did not look good and was pretty distracting at first. Thankfully it ended up being easy to shake off. I just don't understand why they went that route. Especially after how wonderful the practical effects and sets looked. I would've much rather his face be damaged and practical. Or was shadowed the entire time. But just enough to still make out the silhouette of his face.

Doesn't Rook say it would take 6 months for a signal to reach WY? Or something like that...
He does. It's also inferred that everything on the Renaissance happened VERY recently.

Last edited:

Doom85

Some sign that the miners are mentally broken and just accept that kind of stuff or give a glimpse how WY keeps order around there would've been preferable. There's so many workers and they have access to heavy duty mining equipment and ships.

If it is a slave planet, allowing the slaves have access to that kind of tech just makes the slavers look dumb. A WY android doesn't seem that common in that era or place and you would stand out with it. And seeing what it can later on does raises questions why it hasn't been confiscated or altered to not be able to interface with any WY tech.

-I guess, but I prefer a movie not waste too much time on stuff like that. Just assume they do keep things mostly secure and move on. Pacing is critical for a story, you waste too much on stuff like this and it just weakens the film. Rogue One existing on its own is fine for example, but A New Hope itself would never have needed to explain the exhaust port. A mistake was made in designing/building the thing, that’s all you need. At the end of the day, no matter how many bases you try to cover, people can find details to nitpick, so you are essentially slowing down the story to fight a losing battle

-which I admitted is a plot hole that no one on the planet, even if they were not in the know, didn’t check on it just to see if any people’s lives could be saved. You didn’t have to say any of that

-why? Andy was able to get away with what he did because they were exploring an “empty” station. If they tried to pull something similar on the planet, they’d surely be running into a bunch of guards.

Also, I said “in name only”. I’m sure slavery is outlawed in the galaxy, but WY probably makes sure this planet is kept off record so no government officials look into it. The workers probably are allowed a little more than slaves would normally have, but just they can also get the most out of them such as abruptly extending their required hours.

Ulysses 31

-I guess, but I prefer a movie not waste too much time on stuff like that. Just assume they do keep things mostly secure and move on. Pacing is critical for a story, you waste too much on stuff like this and it just weakens the film. Rogue One existing on its own is fine for example, but A New Hope itself would never have needed to explain the exhaust port. A mistake was made in designing/building the thing, that’s all you need. At the end of the day, no matter how many bases you try to cover, people can find details to nitpick, so you are essentially slowing down the story to fight a losing battle
IMO the oppressive mining planet with 0 sun light was a refreshing setting for an Alien movie and expanded on what WY does in the universe. The movie seems to rush a bit to get those kids to that station rather than giving more of a feel what it's like on that mining planet. Very shortly after workers get their quotas doubled, does the station signal plot point come up.
-which I admitted is a plot hole that no one on the planet, even if they were not in the know, didn’t check on it just to see if any people’s lives could be saved. You didn’t have to say any of that
(y)
-why? Andy was able to get away with what he did because they were exploring an “empty” station. If they tried to pull something similar on the planet, they’d surely be running into a bunch of guards.

Also, I said “in name only”. I’m sure slavery is outlawed in the galaxy, but WY probably makes sure this planet is kept off record so no government officials look into it. The workers probably are allowed a little more than slaves would normally have, but just they can also get the most out of them such as abruptly extending their required hours.
If you're tasked with keeping that many workers in check, having an android like at on the loose seems like a liability. These kids aren't happy with their situation and surely many other workers feel the same and I'm sure WY security must have some awareness about that.

Doom85

IMO the oppressive mining planet with 0 sun light was a refreshing setting for an Alien movie and expanded on what WY does in the universe. The movie seems to rush a bit to get those kids to that station rather than giving more of a feel what it's like on that mining planet. Very shortly after workers get their quotas doubled, does the station signal plot point come up.

(y)

If you're tasked with keeping that many workers in check, having an android like at on the loose seems like a liability. These kids aren't happy with their situation and surely many other workers feel the same and I'm sure WY security must have some awareness about that.

-the movie seemed to take more from Alien’s tone than Aliens (the latter really only could be felt in the final act). Due to that, it made sense to me to not spend too much time pre-station as it was the station where the suspense could begin building

-

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

-I assumed they made sure only a limited amount of people had androids so it wouldn’t cause a security threat (since androids are stronger than your average individual person), as long as the security have exclusive access to all the weapons and armed ships then the workers pose little threat presumably. Remember, it belonged to her parents and we don’t know their full history. It’s possible her parents were given special permission to keep Andy when they arrived on the planet due to unknown circumstances. As I said, the workers are “slaves” in that they’re clearly allowed to not leave and likely have very poor working conditions, but they don’t appear to be underfed (which makes sense anyway, a malnourished workforce is no good) and can have some items of entertainment and such (the one guy had a handheld gaming device). They also seem to take their workers’ medical statuses seriously given when Rain wakens in the morning we hear the wake-up call telling anyone feeling ill to report to Medical.

I’m certainly not defending how these workers are treated, but I could see enough of them not willing to rebel since they’d likely fail and die and see even this rough life as better than a likely death.

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m glad they didn’t completely abandon the David & Engineer storylines, but seriously wtf was that ending… I still don’t understand what happened or where they plan to go with it.

Hopefully this does well enough to get a sequel with a bigger budget. We need answers to questions that have been lingering for over a decade now.

I’d say Prometheus and Covenant were better more interesting movies than Romulus, but it was still a solid flick. I’m eager to add it to my collection so I can rewatch.

Thaedolus

Eh, it was fun and suspenseful if not very original. Worth the $10 to see it on the big screen. I appreciated the old school feel of the direction, both in set design and giving scenes time to breath. But it was a bit heavy on the callbacks.

Not sure I think CG Ian Holm was necessary but it was at least pretty realistic looking

It wasn’t very inspired but it was inoffensive unlike some of the other trash in the series that came more recently.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Just came out of the cinema. I’m a huge Alien fan, Aliens is my all time favorite movie.

It was a mixed bag. Nothing special and the first facehugger scene was great, so was the androids performance.

But for me it was just not enough Aliens.
And why on earth do they always have to shoehorn in something “new” like Mark Zuckerberg in the end? They have the perfect specimen but somehow it’s never enough to fill up a whole movie. Give me more Xenomorph action … bitch.

Verdict: You can easily wait for the Disney+ release.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MO the oppressive mining planet with 0 sun light was a refreshing setting for an Alien movie and expanded on what WY does in the universe. The movie seems to rush a bit to get those kids to that station rather than giving more of a feel what it's like on that mining planet. Very shortly after workers get their quotas doubled, does the station signal plot point come up.
The most interesting part of the movie for sure. Could've used that being fleshed out more with real worldbuilding, cut the 15 minutes of bo'oh o' wo'er guy.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’d say Prometheus and Covenant were better more interesting movies than Romulus, but it was still a solid flick. I’m eager to add it to my collection so I can rewatch.

Covenant is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Easily the worst Alien movie IMO. Incoherent, paper thin plot, and massive immersion breaking plot holes.

If people are saying Covenant is better than Romulus then I might not even bother watching it.

Top Bottom