• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Romulus | Rotten Watch

Kacho

Gold Member
Covenant is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Easily the worst Alien movie IMO. Incoherent, paper thin plot, and massive immersion breaking plot holes.

If people are saying Covenant is better than Romulus then I might not even bother watching it.
Just wait for it to hit streaming. If you thought Covenant was bad wait until you see the ending to this movie lol.

GHG

Gold Member
The misadventures of a girl and her sex robot.

2.5/5

Wouldn't even give it that much.

I almost up and left the cinema when she decided to go back just for the robot.

The Office I Give Up GIF

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wouldn't even give it that much.

I almost up and left the cinema when she decided to go back just for the robot.

The Office I Give Up GIF
Yeah, I laughed. It's literally just a mass produced robot that only does what it's programmed to do. Supposed to be a heroic moment for her but makes her out to be delusional instead.

She's intended to be Ripley in Aliens at that point, but Ripley's motivations were so much stronger and more realistic, relying on her maternal instincts to override her survival instincts.

Nemesisuuu

Just came out of the cinema. I’m a huge Alien fan, Aliens is my all time favorite movie.

It was a mixed bag. Nothing special and the first facehugger scene was great, so was the androids performance.

But for me it was just not enough Aliens.
And why on earth do they always have to shoehorn in something “new” like Mark Zuckerberg in the end? They have the perfect specimen but somehow it’s never enough to fill up a whole movie. Give me more Xenomorph action … bitch.

Verdict: You can easily wait for the Disney+ release.
Exactly my sentiments about that slenderman, don't understand why they always have to shoehorn some badly designed abomination. It's laughable. Also - now obviously aliens evolve in like 2 minutes to fully grown specimen.

The movie really gives mixed vibes - sets, setting, effects (except deep fake with that scaling problems) are top notch, and then on the other side you have boring cast, awful & unnecessary fanservice, unoriginal plot & locations - mining colony? abandoned space station? really? Are we really that creatively bankrupt? It's like they checkboxed all possible cliches. I hate Alien 3, but that prison colony was at the time at least something original.

I mean - from the other side I can understand the point to flesh out Weyland Yutani, world building etc., but oppressed miners in space colony is equivalent to first quest in rpg games where you have to kill 5 rats in cellar. Come on. 😄

Trunx81

I
Exactly my sentiments about that slenderman, don't understand why they always have to shoehorn some badly designed abomination. It's laughable. Also - now obviously aliens evolve in like 2 minutes to fully grown specimen.

The movie really gives mixed vibes - sets, setting, effects (except deep fake with that scaling problems) are top notch, and then on the other side you have boring cast, awful & unnecessary fanservice, unoriginal plot & locations - mining colony? abandoned space station? really? Are we really that creatively bankrupt? It's like they checkboxed all possible cliches. I hate Alien 3, but that prison colony was at the time at least something original.

I mean - from the other side I can understand the point to flesh out Weyland Yutani, world building etc., but oppressed miners in space colony is equivalent to first quest in rpg games where you have to kill 5 rats in cellar. Come on. 😄
“Oh we just changed 12.000 days into 24.000, sorry”

And the Alien in Alien 3 took a whole movie to grow. Yea it was a queen, but 5 to 10 in-movie minutes?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The actor who played Andy put in a great performance, but I wasn’t a fan of how he was written to never actually lie even after he was reprogrammed. Rain asked him a direct question about his prime directive and he admitted to being aligned with corporate instead of her interests, which severely undermined his ability to carry out his plan.

Doom85

Covenant is one of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Easily the worst Alien movie IMO. Incoherent, paper thin plot, and massive immersion breaking plot holes.

If people are saying Covenant is better than Romulus then I might not even bother watching it.

I personally would never say Covenant is better. Covenant is carried almost entirely by Michael Fassbender (other cast members aren‘t necessarily bad, but the writing is so weak and the scenes that were cut out make it impossible to care about them not helped when they manage to be vastly more stupid than even some of the dumbasses among the characters of Prometheus), whereas I have plenty of positive things to say about Romulus.

Also, they try to mask it, but the actress who plays Rain is 5'1".

1inLP0t.jpeg

Sigourney Weaver is 5'11

LeXfR98.jpeg

A pale imitation with no screen presence.

I could not care less how tall any actor/actress is. Intimidation by height is a pure subconscious thing, once we stop and think about it we should realize it’s only applicable in certain situations. It’s not like Ripley or Rain were pile driving Xenomorphs, they were using guns or such, their height was completely irrelevant to the situation.

Especially considering this badass on the left:

James Cameron Gun GIF by Aliens

was only 5’3”.

Like it’s fine to prefer one’s acting and finding one to be more intimidating than the other due to that, but I can’t fathom caring about one’s height when they’re holding a rifle, that shit is going to hurt the other guy no matter who’s holding it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I personally would never say Covenant is better. Covenant is carried almost entirely by Michael Fassbender (other cast members aren‘t necessarily bad, but the writing is so weak and the scenes that were cut out make it impossible to care about them not helped when they manage to be vastly more stupid than even some of the dumbasses among the characters of Prometheus), whereas I have plenty of positive things to say about Romulus.

I could not care less how tall any actor/actress is. Intimidation by height is a pure subconscious thing, once we stop and think about it we should realize it’s only applicable in certain situations. It’s not like Ripley or Rain were pile driving Xenomorphs, they were using guns or such, their height was completely irrelevant to the situation.

Especially considering this badass on the left:

James Cameron Gun GIF by Aliens

was only 5’3”.

Like it’s fine to prefer one’s acting and finding one to be more intimidating than the other due to that, but I can’t fathom caring about one’s height when they’re holding a rifle, that shit is going to hurt the other guy no matter who’s holding it.
it obviously does matter for an action heroine lead who’s inexplicably taking point in front of her tall, athletic big brother. She also has some serious Midwest Arms that look like she’s never stepped foot in a gym her entire life, so the Vasquez comparison doesn’t fly.

Doom85

it obviously does matter for an action heroine lead who’s inexplicably taking point in front of her tall, athletic big brother. She also has some serious Midwest Arms that look like she’s never stepped foot in a gym her entire life, so the Vasquez comparison doesn’t fly.

I already said why height doesn’t matter, if you disagree, fine, but it‘s not a universal rule for everyone beyond basic first subconscious reactions. Were people laughing at the hobbits or dwarves anytime they had to fight in the LOTR/Hobbit films?

And again, why does her arm muscle matter? Beyond the fact that while not muscular, she’s hardly got scrawny arms:

5uDmTKm.jpeg

And the fact that the rifles they were using did not look THAT heavy.

Also, yeah Andy should be more intimidating, he’s the android. We’ve seen how androids can be physically stronger than your average person.

Also, shouldn’t it add suspense to a horror film to not have an “intimidating” heroine? I certainly never thought when watching Halloween, “I guess this is great, but it would really enhance the film is Laurie was six inches taller and had some muscle on her. Also Loomis looks not in the best shape either, how can I take this film seriously?!”

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I already said why height doesn’t matter,
“Stopping and thinking about it” is why it doesn’t matter? But it does matter. Sorry if it triggers you that an out of shape midget girl is not a good choice for a Ripley++ stand-in action heroine who keeps up with all the boys and takes the lead, fights aliens head on and jumps into suicidal situations to survive unscathed.

Doom85

“Stopping and thinking about it” is why it doesn’t matter? But it does matter. Sorry if it triggers you that an out of shape midget girl is not a good choice for a Ripley stand-in action heroine who keeps up with all the boys and takes the lead, fights aliens head on and jumps into suicidal situations to survive unscathed.

-she’s not out of shape
-it’s Andy and/or Tyler who frequently take the lead for most of the mission, Rain only does in the final act
-when did she physically fight a Xenomorph with her arms?
-“never tell me the odds.” - Han Solo. It’s a story, often a story has a character survive nearly impossible odds.

But whatever, agree to disagree. No need for the “triggered” shot, I’m chill AF right now.

Tired Fat Cat GIF by Boomerang Official

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
“Stopping and thinking about it” is why it doesn’t matter? But it does matter. Sorry if it triggers you that an out of shape midget girl is not a good choice for a Ripley++ stand-in action heroine who keeps up with all the boys and takes the lead, fights aliens head on and jumps into suicidal situations to survive unscathed.
Outside of this argument, how would you rank the Ripley clones?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Outside of this argument, how would you rank the Ripley clones?
Hmm, I liked Noomi Rapace in Prometheus. She really sold the Plan B scene and was a good actress overall. Prometheus has casting and script issues for having that band of bumbling idiots as allegedly world-class scientists but that’s another matter.

Alien Covenant wasn’t very memorable so I can’t say confidently. Was disappointed that they didn’t bring Noomi back as the lead though. But maybe for the best.

Your thoughts?

Kacho

Gold Member
I thought the main chick looked like a cross between Jennifer Lawrence and Jill Valentine at the end. Very easy on the eyes.

My biggest issue with the cast in Romulus was how young they were. I couldn’t suspend my disbelief seeing a merry band of zoomers casually executing an operation like that.

violence

I was able to enjoy the movie. I’m actually a Prometheus fan and preferred if they went that direction as it felt more fresh than more alien movies. After watching Covenant for the first time, I felt the black Xenomorph lost all its ability to be scary.

Red letter media was very down on Romulus, but made an interesting point that the script felt AI assisted (using parts from all previous movies to create something). You could argue that’s all part of the horror. Ash the robot is writing the script!

Last edited:
I was able to enjoy the movie. I’m actually Prometheus fan and preferred if they went that direction as it felt more fresh than another alien. After watching Covenant for the first time, I felt the black Xenomorph lost all its ability to be scary.

Red letter media was very down on this movie, but made an interesting point that the script felt AI assisted (using parts from all previous movies to create something). You could argue that’s all part of the horror.

I'll be waiting for this movie to come to Streaming

I loved Alien and Aliens

Hated Alien 3 and Alien Resurrections

Enjoyed Prometheus and Alien Covenant despite the issues I had with the script

I know I will most likely enjoy Romulus since I heard it's gets super weird

And I'm only watching it due to loving the gory parts in the franchise

Last edited:

Nvzman

This is easily the best Alien movie since Aliens, it's actually entertaining. I agree it gets too nostalgia-baity at certain points BUT its not really as overbearing as some people in this thread make it out to be. Most of it completely makes sense in-universe. I enjoyed it for actually finally being an Alien movie that understands what makes the first two movies so entertaining to watch; excellent set design and having a tense, dreadful mood throughout the story. The characters aren't great but they still did some interesting ideas with the Android.

Prometheus and Covenant were both boring as shit. Covenant was especially fucking dreadful to watch upon a revisit, the Xeno is in the movie for like 5 minutes of screentime while most of the movie is just incredibly pretentious lore-building I couldn't give two half-shits about.

MiguelItUp

To be fair, the entire series is divisive among fans for various reason. If anything, I'd recommend you watch it and decide for yourself. There's a lot of cool homages to Alien, Alien Isolation, and more. It's a fun film for sure. No one is wrong in their opinion.

However in my personal opinion, as a fan of the entire series. I don't agree that the film is "the best one yet since x", because it still has its flaws. It's a solid film, but it's also a very safe film. It does do some neat new things, and is a lot of fun. But a lot of it is going to feel familiar.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I really liked this movie, but don't go into it expecting a return-to-form sequel (as if such a thing is even possible with a series as all-over-the-place as Alien). It's a Gaiden movie; a teen slasher set in the Alien universe, and it's a good one. Tense, scary, with some really memorable setpieces. My third favorite movie in the series, but it's obviously a pretty big drop after the first two.

Thaedolus

Also, they try to mask it, but the actress who plays Rain is 5'1".

1inLP0t.jpeg

Sigourney Weaver is 5'11

LeXfR98.jpeg

A pale imitation with no screen presence.
Look, Sigourney is a goddess and we just gotta accept there’s no topping Alien/Aliens. Alien is probably the perfect movie.

That said…that main character whose name I can’t remember pretty cute

wondermega

Lots of interesting opinions in this thread. Here's another one... spoilers ahead, mind you.

Went 10AM today to see the film (unusual for me to go to the theater at all, never mind this early, but I was happy to have an excuse to get together with some friends who I rarely see). Expectations were low, mind you I did enjoy Prometheus overall (despite the usual issues) and appreciated some of the more, uh, prickly things that film did. Covenant was a big turn-off - how do you get Kenny Powers in a sci-fi film and have it be that bad?

Anyway, this film started up well enough and the goings-on of the mining colony were immediately interesting to me. I was very interested to see more of that world, and the fucked up psychology it would bring - besides all the other obvious issues, the whole deal about it always being night. Anyway in the blink of an eye they have already got a space-worthy ship and are heading off to this space station? On the one hand, it all felt extremely hand-wavy how they were able to get that far, on the other I guess I could appreciate "let's just get onto the good stuff.."

For the most part, the characters were pretty thin, disinteresting. Again, I can appreciate that they just wanted to get to the meat of the action and horror stuff, but after that pretty fabulous introduction to this splinter of the aliens world, I would have liked to have a little more reason to connect with these character some, and care about them. They were just pretty thin and with the expectation about how everything would likely play out, it became hard to really care about most of them beyond "well hopefully they will get into some interesting sticky situations and at least meet some gruesome, novel fates." That never really took off for me, it just felt like a bunch of rehash for those of us who've sat through a bunch of these films before. I know this is the same complaint echoed by many in the thread already, still I was kind of surprised that they leaned THIS hard into it at this point. It felt lazy and safe, kind of like the filmmakers were just interested in really going through the paces - a waste of great opportunity. Otherwise, so many shots of the aliens just.. lingering. Hovering just over their prey "I'm gonnnnna gettt you, I'm gonnnna getttt you...." What? These are not the xenomorphs we have been led to expect! They are supposed to be constantly quick, vicious, creepy. I wouldn't have minded if they did this a couple of times, but it happened so often that it started to annoy me. At least if you are going to go this route, have them acting in some way interesting (molting or doing something else gross and disturbing, I dunno, there is so much that could be done). These creatures used to be so horrifying to look at, and now they feel kind of humdrum. I attribute some of this to modern filmmaking and trying to show off hero shots where you can appreciate the design/craftsmanship of the creatures, but this was getting a bit much.

Anyway I could go on but I think I have made my point. Some things I did like, production design was fantastic and I couldn't get enough of the design of the movie. The Alien films usually deliver and this one was absolutely no slouch, and for this alone I was very pleased considering the money I forked over for my ticket. Even here there was a lot more that could have been done to play up the disturbing nature of the Creep/general horror vibe and they went pretty light with all of that (when it could have been incredible!) but even if the sets weren't dressed as "they could have been," at least everything underlying just looked so good. I appreciate the reverence they kept for the 70s retro-future vibe. They'll never go as hard as I wish they would, but you gotta have realistic expectations I suppose - anyway this shit looked groovy. I would love to buy an art book of this film.

Also the "sinking into the planetary rings" bit was a nice wrinkle, kinda dumb and probably fraught with a billion plot holes about how unrealistic that must actually be, but they committed to it and stuck to it and we got some cool visuals out of it. If anything I do wish they went even harder with it but yeah, leave them wanting more, blah blah. Showing the space station slowly getting destroyed in those later shots (after the final battle) was a nice touch.

And that final battle - uh yeah, I guess they had to do something, and I appreciate that they probably had a lot of masters to serve in that case. Again it felt a bit hand-holdy horror "no one ever feels like they are in REAL danger," but for what it was I didn't mind. There were some interesting and disturbing biological dynamics going on and I appreciated what they were hinting at, even though you just KNOW they cut way down what they would have really liked to do. It is 2024, this is a Disney movie, what else are you gonna expect? A Disney R is more like an everyone else PG-13 (from 20 years ago) I guess. Anyway could have been worse, so at least we got what we did.

Last bit to mention, we were just getting into the third act when the screen went black and all the house lights went up, and a voice over the PA told everyone that there was some kind of alarm and we had to all leave the building - fire alarm or something. This was very jarring and my friends and I were not happy, an usher told us that it was likely that they would have to restart the movie and none of us really were interested in sitting through it again to finish it up. VERY fortunately he was wrong, and when we returned to the theater 20min later they restarted the film from the same bit so we missed MAYBE a minute of film, what a relief! For the record, the cinema (Regal) gave us vouchers for a free film, for our troubles. That was appreciated.

Ok so overall - I don't regret seeing the film, I guess I will give it a 6/10. I am not the biggest fan of this franchise but there are bits about it I really appreciate, and as for this entry, it was watchable but hardly necessary. I'd rank it above Covenant and below Prometheus. I think I must have enjoyed Resurrection more than many folks because I'd rank this below that film as well (I barely remember it, that was like 27 years ago or something? Maybe I will actually rewatch it)

Oh and a last-last bit, for any who are still reading - the film felt like it existed kind of as an Alien Showcase, made to hopefully draw newer fans into the franchise. Throwing us older fans a bone by delivering something solid, if underwhelming, but if you have never seen any of the older films and you are a younger viewer, you will probably (and deservedly) think that this is cool as shit. In that regard I will give it respect.

Doom85

a teen slasher set in the Alien universe

See, I saw Covenant as more fitting for that description. Sure, they’re not teens, but there’s a LOT of characters and a lot of them seem to be there purely to add to the body count. Romulus kept the cast much more minimal.

But of course, the biggest moment that made Covenant a slasher:

See, I saw Covenant as more fitting for that description. Sure, they’re not teens, but there’s a LOT of characters and a lot of them seem to be there purely to add to the body count. Romulus kept the cast much more minimal.

But of course, the biggest moment that made Covenant a slasher:

Favorite part in that movie 👀

Doom85

I might have some reservations about the final act but ..

The first shot of the offspring, when everything goes silent, is some amazing Dead Space live action shit.

JaUy3ir.jpeg

Seriously:

I do think the creature’s design works less well later on in certain shots, but that initial reveal, pretty creepy. Had a dude in the back of the theater just flat out yell, ”FUCK!”

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lots of interesting opinions in this thread. Here's another one... spoilers ahead, mind you.

Went 10AM today to see the film (unusual for me to go to the theater at all, never mind this early, but I was happy to have an excuse to get together with some friends who I rarely see). Expectations were low, mind you I did enjoy Prometheus overall (despite the usual issues) and appreciated some of the more, uh, prickly things that film did. Covenant was a big turn-off - how do you get Kenny Powers in a sci-fi film and have it be that bad?

Anyway, this film started up well enough and the goings-on of the mining colony were immediately interesting to me. I was very interested to see more of that world, and the fucked up psychology it would bring - besides all the other obvious issues, the whole deal about it always being night. Anyway in the blink of an eye they have already got a space-worthy ship and are heading off to this space station? On the one hand, it all felt extremely hand-wavy how they were able to get that far, on the other I guess I could appreciate "let's just get onto the good stuff.."

For the most part, the characters were pretty thin, disinteresting. Again, I can appreciate that they just wanted to get to the meat of the action and horror stuff, but after that pretty fabulous introduction to this splinter of the aliens world, I would have liked to have a little more reason to connect with these character some, and care about them. They were just pretty thin and with the expectation about how everything would likely play out, it became hard to really care about most of them beyond "well hopefully they will get into some interesting sticky situations and at least meet some gruesome, novel fates." That never really took off for me, it just felt like a bunch of rehash for those of us who've sat through a bunch of these films before. I know this is the same complaint echoed by many in the thread already, still I was kind of surprised that they leaned THIS hard into it at this point. It felt lazy and safe, kind of like the filmmakers were just interested in really going through the paces - a waste of great opportunity. Otherwise, so many shots of the aliens just.. lingering. Hovering just over their prey "I'm gonnnnna gettt you, I'm gonnnna getttt you...." What? These are not the xenomorphs we have been led to expect! They are supposed to be constantly quick, vicious, creepy. I wouldn't have minded if they did this a couple of times, but it happened so often that it started to annoy me. At least if you are going to go this route, have them acting in some way interesting (molting or doing something else gross and disturbing, I dunno, there is so much that could be done). These creatures used to be so horrifying to look at, and now they feel kind of humdrum. I attribute some of this to modern filmmaking and trying to show off hero shots where you can appreciate the design/craftsmanship of the creatures, but this was getting a bit much.

Anyway I could go on but I think I have made my point. Some things I did like, production design was fantastic and I couldn't get enough of the design of the movie. The Alien films usually deliver and this one was absolutely no slouch, and for this alone I was very pleased considering the money I forked over for my ticket. Even here there was a lot more that could have been done to play up the disturbing nature of the Creep/general horror vibe and they went pretty light with all of that (when it could have been incredible!) but even if the sets weren't dressed as "they could have been," at least everything underlying just looked so good. I appreciate the reverence they kept for the 70s retro-future vibe. They'll never go as hard as I wish they would, but you gotta have realistic expectations I suppose - anyway this shit looked groovy. I would love to buy an art book of this film.

Also the "sinking into the planetary rings" bit was a nice wrinkle, kinda dumb and probably fraught with a billion plot holes about how unrealistic that must actually be, but they committed to it and stuck to it and we got some cool visuals out of it. If anything I do wish they went even harder with it but yeah, leave them wanting more, blah blah. Showing the space station slowly getting destroyed in those later shots (after the final battle) was a nice touch.

And that final battle - uh yeah, I guess they had to do something, and I appreciate that they probably had a lot of masters to serve in that case. Again it felt a bit hand-holdy horror "no one ever feels like they are in REAL danger," but for what it was I didn't mind. There were some interesting and disturbing biological dynamics going on and I appreciated what they were hinting at, even though you just KNOW they cut way down what they would have really liked to do. It is 2024, this is a Disney movie, what else are you gonna expect? A Disney R is more like an everyone else PG-13 (from 20 years ago) I guess. Anyway could have been worse, so at least we got what we did.

Last bit to mention, we were just getting into the third act when the screen went black and all the house lights went up, and a voice over the PA told everyone that there was some kind of alarm and we had to all leave the building - fire alarm or something. This was very jarring and my friends and I were not happy, an usher told us that it was likely that they would have to restart the movie and none of us really were interested in sitting through it again to finish it up. VERY fortunately he was wrong, and when we returned to the theater 20min later they restarted the film from the same bit so we missed MAYBE a minute of film, what a relief! For the record, the cinema (Regal) gave us vouchers for a free film, for our troubles. That was appreciated.

Ok so overall - I don't regret seeing the film, I guess I will give it a 6/10. I am not the biggest fan of this franchise but there are bits about it I really appreciate, and as for this entry, it was watchable but hardly necessary. I'd rank it above Covenant and below Prometheus. I think I must have enjoyed Resurrection more than many folks because I'd rank this below that film as well (I barely remember it, that was like 27 years ago or something? Maybe I will actually rewatch it)

Oh and a last-last bit, for any who are still reading - the film felt like it existed kind of as an Alien Showcase, made to hopefully draw newer fans into the franchise. Throwing us older fans a bone by delivering something solid, if underwhelming, but if you have never seen any of the older films and you are a younger viewer, you will probably (and deservedly) think that this is cool as shit. In that regard I will give it respect.
Broadly agree. The asteroid belt was definitely a highlight but could’ve been a spectacular part of the setting like in Interstellar or Sunshine. Felt underutilized. Yes, they were in a hurry, but lacked urgency at the same time since the setting wasn’t fully contextualized. Just some hand waving about the station going a few degree off axis and the time til death is completely different, everyone shrugs and keeps going.

Some elements needed more breathing room. It often felt more like a video game scenario where they were always looking for an item or a switch in the next room full of danger.

Doom85

You got lucky, nice! I wasn’t so much six years back. Was seeing Bad Times at the El Royale (a film I really love, and I hope more people check it out) and the film was in the final act with things looking VERY bad for the protagonists. The film was right at a “one of these two people is most likely about to die” moment and then the screen goes black. The audio plays a bit longer, although just a few shots and screaming so not enough to spoil what happened exactly, but then the audio stopped as well. I forget exactly what went wrong, but yeah, it was the last showing of it that night and while I got a refund they were unable to fix the issue in time before closing. So I had to head back the next day to watch it from the beginning (but thankfully I loved the whole film, so it wasn’t too bad to sit through it again so soon).

Doom85

Weird for an Alien film. I'm only asking because I love when Sci Fi gets weird

Hmm, I’d say maybe 6 (out of 10)? The final act throws in a “new“ element but technically this element has been explored in one prior Alien film. But I think even people not big on Romulus would agree it handles the element better than that particular prior film. Trying to be vague as not to spoil it for you.

But it doesn’t get too weird as I think that would be difficult to do without breaking the lore and general rules of the setting. Like, I would say Prometheus was the “weirdest” of the series so far, it may have been clumsy in some of its execution, but it certainly added some crazy new details, even if those details weren’t properly fleshed out per say.

Hmm, I’d say maybe 6 (out of 10)? The final act throws in a “new“ element but technically this element has been explored in one prior Alien film. But I think even people not big on Romulus would agree it handles the element better than that particular prior film. Trying to be vague as not to spoil it for you.

But it doesn’t get too weird as I think that would be difficult to do without breaking the lore and general rules of the setting. Like, I would say Prometheus was the “weirdest” of the series so far, it may have been clumsy in some of its execution, but it certainly added some crazy new details, even if those details weren’t properly fleshed out per say.

I thought Prometheus was good but had flaws so that's good to hear ^^

Doom85

I thought Prometheus was good but had flaws so that's good to hear ^^

For Prometheus:

Pros:

-Michael Fassbender is amazing, and while I wasn’t big on the direction they took David in Covenant*, his character is great here. Noomi Rapace and Idris Elba are great, and I also liked Elba’s two co-pilots.
-the music, GODDAMN, it’s so good!
-a lot of the visual design was on point.
-definitely some good suspense at times

*though again, Fassbender killed it, now as two characters. Can we get this man in some new big movies that are good?! Alien Covenant, Assassin’s Creed, The Snowman, he always gives us a great performance, but those movies, ugh! They’re doing my boy dirty! :(

Cons:

-most of the rest of the cast were bland.
-why not just cast an old actor as Peter Weyland?! So hard to not laugh at the rough attempt at making Guy Peace look “old”
-while it got worse in Covenant, the decision-making is so stupid at times. Even with the “well, they’re not necessarily the best”, no, come on, that can only excuse so much. Taking off your helmet so quickly once on the planet, going, “aww, hi, little fella!” to some unknown life form, and neither of the two characters attempting to run to the side for the longest time when running straight ahead was not helping them avoid the massive ship rolling to crush them.
-so many unanswered questions but we naturally assumed the follow up film would answer those questions…..it did not

For Prometheus:

Pros:

-Michael Fassbender is amazing, and while I wasn’t big on the direction they took David in Covenant*, his character is great here. Noomi Rapace and Idris Elba are great, and I also liked Elba’s two co-pilots.
-the music, GODDAMN, it’s so good!
-a lot of the visual design was on point.
-definitely some good suspense at times

*though again, Fassbender killed it, now as two characters. Can we get this man in some new big movies that are good?! Alien Covenant, Assassin’s Creed, The Snowman, he always gives us a great performance, but those movies, ugh! They’re doing my boy dirty! :(

Cons:

-most of the rest of the cast were bland.
-why not just cast an old actor as Peter Weyland?! So hard to not laugh at the rough attempt at making Guy Peace look “old”
-while it got worse in Covenant, the decision-making is so stupid at times. Even with the “well, they’re not necessarily the best”, no, come on, that can only excuse so much. Taking off your helmet so quickly once on the planet, going, “aww, hi, little fella!” to some unknown life form, and neither of the two characters attempting to run to the side for the longest time when running straight ahead was not helping them avoid the massive ship rolling to crush them.
-so many unanswered questions but we naturally assumed the follow up film would answer those questions…..it did not

David is my favorite villain in the franchise due to Michael Fassbender. That man does a fantastic job acting even in movies that are horrible. He needs to get a new agent, since the recent movies he's been haven't been good

ZehDon

For Prometheus:
Cons:
I believe there's a deleted scene where we see David talking to Guy Pearce as Weyland in his sleep machine, where Weyland appears as a normal, no-old-age-makeup Guy Pearce. To help the audience understand this was the same old-man, they intentionally cast as younger actor because it's easier to make someone younger appear older than vice versa. Then they cut the dream machine sequence, and we're all left going "Well why the fuck did they cast Guy Pearce?"

Last edited:
Top Bottom