• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 - Reviews Thread

Man, I hate so much the fact that I don't like this game, more specifically the gameplay. The visuals are amazing, the setting, world and atmosphere, fuck, this I like so much, I haven't played a 40K game since the 1st Space Marine.

But the problem for me, comes from the gameplay loop, ok, there's the horde, all good, but when the big ones come in, then all things start to come apart. The parry doesn't work all the time, as it probably registers a hit from the countless other ones, and you have to constantly change your way between the two, it's like there are two different games.

And then, in the second mission I think, I was killed by one in a QTE moment, that's a major no no for me, that is such a turn off, I don't understand this implementation in game like this.

I see comparisons with Gears, but it's not the same, Gears doesn't have that many enemies and it's a cover shooter.
You might want to check your weapon as some have no parry and small parry windows.

EekTheKat

At the risk of pointing out the obvious - but Space Marine 2's character creator can arguably translate 1:1 to a mini that you could paint yourself that can be built with existing parts and bits from a 40k kit.

It even tells you the Citadel paint color names used in customizing your Space Marine.

Space Marine 2 is literally seeing those wargaming miniatures come to life, and so far it's been just delightful seeing how well everything is built/handled.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I haven't touched PvP yet, but the operations PvE-only missions are amazing and arguably better than campaign missions. I'm wrapping up the second tier now and on to the third!

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm worried about the longevity gents, I mean, the MP seems kinda tacked-on and "filler" destined to die after a few months and the 8-9 hours of SP seems kind of short.
Is there any replayability whatsoever here ?

I really want to get it but if it's going to be 70 big ones for a nice-ish 8 hour campaign and some shallow, tacked on MP I don't know...

I'm between this and Wukong and I can't choose 🤔

Bartski

Gold Member
I'm worried about the longevity gents, I mean, the MP seems kinda tacked-on and "filler" destined to die after a few months and the 8-9 hours of SP seems kind of short.

I really want to get it but if it's going to be 70 big ones for a nice-ish 8 hour campaign and some shallow, tacked on MP I don't know...

After 2 days with the game its the single player thet feels tacked on the multi longetivity wise

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bless gamefly for shipping out the copy 2 days before release. Should be playing this in a few days.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

70 bucks for 8-12 hours of entertainment is good value. Buy the damn thing, we need to show these pubs/devs we're sick of overly bloated Open Worlds and GAAS trash.

vote with your wallet

gatti-man

If you want content Wukong is the best value you can possibly get it’s insanely long and wide.

SM2 ‘s value is in the co-op for me. I have a literal blast in the 3 player co-op pve stuff. Each mission is 30-60 minutes long so the game is plenty long if that’s what you’re after.

Wukong however is easily the GOTY especially if you have a high end PC.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I would have liked more customization to the armor. I have the DLC armor so far. I also like him with the helmet on. My Plus is expired atm, so I keep getting that “Buy Plus” each time I launch the game. I wanted this for the single player campaign. I wasn’t going to use coop mode.

gatti-man

I would have liked more customization to the armor. I have the DLC armor so far. I also like him with the helmet on. My Plus is expired atm, so I keep getting that “Buy Plus” each time I launch the game. I wanted this for the single player campaign. I wasn’t going to use coop mode.
Customization is all locked behind co-op and PvP I believe and there is a metric shit ton of it

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Bought this but the regular version. I am super excited but can wait till 9th as I also bought The casting of frank stone and Alan wake 2 DLC. They will tide me over till then.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Customization is all locked behind co-op and PvP I believe and there is a metric shit ton of it
Dang. I have the deluxe edition, so I have some time to jump back in with Plus. I’m really enjoying the more I play. It makes me want to start buying Warhammer figurines someday.
HWDkCou.jpeg

Alex11

I’d argue that Gears 2 did, and that’s why I did not enjoy it as much as Gears 1 and Gears 3.

I hope that they eventually patch out some of the issues you’re listing. They sound consistent with the PC Gamer review.
I don't even think these are issues or at least big ones, maybe I just don't like it, although the 1st one I liked.

Or the fact that this is 40K and it's such an awesome built universe, so let's put these aside and maybe the gameplay flaws would be more noticeable.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's a total bummer to see this game coming out 5 days early for people who are willing to fork over an extra 30 bucks.

My timeline has been flooded with Space Marine 2 gameplay for days and with a 6 hour campaign I've probably seen the entire game by now, albeit in 30 second gifs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's a total bummer to see this game coming out 5 days early for people who are willing to fork over an extra 30 bucks.

My timeline has been flooded with Space Marine 2 gameplay for days and with a 6 hour campaign I've probably seen the entire game by now, albeit in 30 second gifs.

I’ve bought the standard version… but I also sailed the high seas to get a look early so it wasn’t all spoiled for me. Fuck ‘em for their greed.

TheMan

What do you guys think about the modding potential for the PC version? Contemplating getting this on PC since the PS5 and xbox are often in use by my kids.

Last edited:

flying_sq

What do you guys think about the modding potential for the PC version? Contemplating getting this on PC since the PS5 and xbox are often in use by my kids.
My guess would be almost 0%. From what people and reviewers are saying I am interpreting the game as more like 40k Helldivers.

Is Space Marine 1 worth the $15 it's on sale for now? Does it hold up well? I'd just be playing the campaign.
I see it's been cheaper a few times, but it looks like it doesn't drop much more lately.

gatti-man

Im huge 3rd person shooter fan, is this better then helldivers?
It’s not like Helldivers at all. Helldivers is like an orbital strike shooter that’s frenetic on a giant scale. SM2 is more like Gears than Helldivers. Think of an evolution of gears 2 with countering and class mechanics. Mix in coop with randomized boss encounters (randomized in type and area/time of entrance). Some outstanding voice over work and story. Tons of unlockable skins.

It has a ton more content than HD2 but they are really very different games. Graphics are better in SM2.

Top Bottom