• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 - Reviews Thread

Neolombax

sr-review-just-dropped-guys-v0-5ere9h79r0nd1.png
How dare they assume the gender of those tyranids

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Rarely do I finish games in one sitting and Space Marine 2 is an absolute blast from start to finish. So it's a rare game from that list.

I do understand that people are struggling with some issues here, but for me it was a smooth 9 hours sailing from the main menu to the end titles bar a few toilet breaks.

Space Marine 2 is a perfect sequel like Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1. It is a living, breathing and brilliatntly realized vision of 40k universe in all it's gory glory and spectacular epicness. I can't find porper words to describe how perfect and true to the setting almost every detail and element is.

We've never seen WH40k universe realized with such care, fidelity and production quality. Never. This is the best WH40k media to date and the closest to the huge Warhammer 40k movie we're all dreaming about.

For non-WH fan it's still a bombastic no-BS-TPS with tremendous production values and surprising amount of polishing and variety. Just ignore the lore altogether and watch in awe at the sights.
5vZ4t8y.jpeg
wYxg2LA.jpeg
tS7PZeT.jpeg
WzoI27U.jpeg

YuLY

Rarely do I finish games in one sitting and Space Marine 2 is an absolute blast from start to finish. So it's a rare game from that list.
Quick question, obviously no spoilers, but as we all know, the first game ended with a huge cliffhanger, does the second game have a proper ending? we had 13years between the 2 games, i hope they didnt go the cliffhanger route again.

Dont get me wrong I hope we get a third game it is why i purchased the normal version and will play on Monday, would love a game against the Necrons. But even so, it would be nice to have a more fulfilling ending this time around.

Bartski

Gold Member
On the parry inconsistency issue, I think it really is about constantly being attacked by multiple enemies so the game is registering the parry as reaction to a different attack than intended? I've had no issues 1on1 against bosses, the "blue" attack is widnow is as generous as the indicator itself while the unblockable is fairly easy to dodge. The problem I'm having at least on "veteran" (could be a skill issue at this point) is projectile enemies you generally need to prioritize especially those larger flying ones that mess with your vision while you're getting getting swarmed and stunlocked by melee attacks. Which is why it's clear you need some way to coordinate fire, you can mark enemies but does it mean your NPC will focus attacks on them? Hard to tell in all the chaos but I'll test it.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Quick question, obviously no spoilers, but as we all know, the first game ended with a huge cliffhanger, does the second game have a proper ending? we had 13years between the 2 games, i hope they didnt go the cliffhanger route again.

Dont get me wrong I hope we get a third game it is why i purchased the normal version and will play on Monday, would love a game against the Necrons. But even so, it would be nice to have a more fulfilling ending this time around.
Ending is very defined and rounded with a soft bridge for a possible third installment. It’s a very direct sequel to the first game too, but I love how softly it covers the basics for those, who skipped the original Space Marine.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Hopefully the game sells really well, I don’t want to wait another 13 years for a sequel.
Steam online was floating around 135k for the paid early access. It sold gangbusters.
On the parry inconsistency issue, I think it really is about constantly being attacked by multiple enemies so the game is registering the parry as reaction to a different attack than intended? I've had no issues 1on1 against bosses, the "blue" attack is widnow is as generous as the indicator itself while the unblockable is fairly easy to dodge. The problem I'm having at least on "veteran" (could be a skill issue at this point) is projectile enemies you generally need to prioritize especially those larger flying ones that mess with your vision while you're getting getting swarmed and stunlocked by melee attacks. Which is why it's clear you need some way to coordinate fire, you can mark enemies but does it mean your NPC will focus attacks on them? Hard to tell in all the chaos but I'll test it.
To be honest you just need to press a button a bit earlier than in other games, that’s all. Plus you need to constantly use your pistol riposte and not melee parry alone.

Zathalus

Been trying the operations with bots as I am having zero luck online, keeps disconnecting on login. It is simply way to unforgiving with the moronic AI.

Played the campaign for half an hour and I really like it. Putting time between this and Astrobot. I don't particularly like the dodge or the parry but they're both ok. Maybe I'm not hitting dodge fast enough but I feel like it should work better than it does for me so far. On the other hand I love how weighty everything is. Your character and the guns have a ton of oomph. Overall a lot of fun so far.

Last edited:
Been trying the operations with bots as I am having zero luck online, keeps disconnecting on login. It is simply way to unforgiving with the moronic AI.

I’m doing my first playthrough on easy for two reasons.

1. I’m old

2. I wanted to enjoy the power fantasy of being a hulking space marine that shrugs off hits and wades right in.

Having a lot of fun, but even on easy it can get a bit hairy from time to time. The higher difficulties must get really ball punching.

ElFenomeno

Played the first tutorial mission, my first Warhammer game in long time since the Dawn of War RTS ones.
It's great! Old school feeling to it, just plain fun slashing beasts left and right. Pretty satisfied with the performance as well on PC. Dualsense support as well.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So what's the word on PS5 version?

I think at this point the PS5 is a better bet than my 3080 for many new releases that are graphically demanding like this is.

Zathalus

I think at this point the PS5 is a better bet than my 3080 for many new releases that are graphically demanding like this is.
1080p and very heavy frame drops when things get busy. Especially some of the later levels.

Bartski

Gold Member
Did anyone try playing the PvE campaign missions? The game constantly crashes when joining server

Edit nvm works

Last edited:

I do understand that people are struggling with some issues here, but for me it was a smooth 9 hours sailing from the main menu to the end titles bar a few toilet breaks.

Space Marine 2 is a perfect sequel like Uncharted 2 was to Uncharted 1. It is a living, breathing and brilliatntly realized vision of 40k universe in all it's gory glory and spectacular epicness. I can't find porper words to describe how perfect and true to the setting almost every detail and element is.

We've never seen WH40k universe realized with such care, fidelity and production quality. Never. This is the best WH40k media to date and the closest to the huge Warhammer 40k movie we're all dreaming about.

For non-WH fan it's still a bombastic no-BS-TPS with tremendous production values and surprising amount of polishing and variety. Just ignore the lore altogether and watch in awe at the sights.
5vZ4t8y.jpeg
wYxg2LA.jpeg
tS7PZeT.jpeg
WzoI27U.jpeg
Better than the fan made Astartes project?

Arsic

1080p and very heavy frame drops when things get busy. Especially some of the later levels.
Whack.

Also realized today i could play a $100 version. Fuck I hate this trend.

Astrobot got the buy instead. Space marine can suck my nuts until a sale now.

I have a 4070 Super, and the Steam version was dropping frames at 1440p, even with DLSS on. Refunded it and got it for PS5, now I can experience the same frame drops in 1080p! (it's still fun tho!)

Yerd

Can I jump into this game without knowing much about Warhammer?
I played the first one without knowing shit about WH40K and had a lot of fun.

Watch a recap of the story of the previous game and you'll be good to go.
I know nothing of 40k and played the first and liked it. Don't remember 1 ounce of the story. There are marines and it might be in space. That's about half an ounce.

I am thinking about diving in on this today, 99% ready to buy, and I don't give one shit about 40k still. I don't care about the previous story. I'm going in to kill some alien that looks like every alien in all the games out there. Looks like a fun game, getting good reviews. I'm in. I won't get into 40k after.

Mozzarella

Honestly the combat in this game looks fantastic and fun, i may have to get this, do i need to play anything else before trying it?

Arsic

I have a 4070 Super, and the Steam version was dropping frames at 1440p, even with DLSS on. Refunded it and got it for PS5, now I can experience the same frame drops in 1080p! (it's still fun tho!)
I’ll wait for a fall sale pick up and go with 4k 30fps like a pleb.

This game is really good fun, and it looks amazing with settings cranked up on PC.

I arrived on the second planet now and the visuals keep impressing while the game doesn't drop a beat in terms of performance. The combat loop is satisfying and I enjoy switching weapons to get a feel for all of them. I really love the chonky big-boi feel of the movement, and shooting then closing in for melee and executions is quite satisfying. Pretty cool game so far, I'd say.

Alex11

Man, I hate so much the fact that I don't like this game, more specifically the gameplay. The visuals are amazing, the setting, world and atmosphere, fuck, this I like so much, I haven't played a 40K game since the 1st Space Marine.

But the problem for me, comes from the gameplay loop, ok, there's the horde, all good, but when the big ones come in, then all things start to come apart. The parry doesn't work all the time, as it probably registers a hit from the countless other ones, and you have to constantly change your way between the two, it's like there are two different games.

And then, in the second mission I think, I was killed by one in a QTE moment, that's a major no no for me, that is such a turn off, I don't understand this implementation in game like this.

I see comparisons with Gears, but it's not the same, Gears doesn't have that many enemies and it's a cover shooter.

Last edited:

SantaBanana

Neo Member
GameStop Canada won't take any preorders, they won't be able to guarantee a copy day one. I don't think the sales will be out of this world but that's good news

Dynasty8

Thanks!
Sometimes its nice to take a break from RPGs and Story-driven games and go into an action game like this where you just smash things.

Yeah, I got been pretty burnt out from Elden Ring's DLC (though I loved it). This should be a good & fun change of pace to scratch that itch.

I see comparisons with Gears, but it's not the same, Gears doesn't have that many enemies and it's a cover shooter.
I’d argue that Gears 2 did, and that’s why I did not enjoy it as much as Gears 1 and Gears 3.

I hope that they eventually patch out some of the issues you’re listing. They sound consistent with the PC Gamer review.

Top Bottom