• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

How are SE normally for sending their games out to be delivered on release day?

The place I've ordered FFXV from delivered DE:MD to me on the Saturday before the Tuesday it was supposed to come out, but publishers seem to be making an effort to hold back their massive tentpole releases until the last minute to stop that happenning.

Styles

I really want a desert region with vast dune fields covering the land. Nights would look spectacular.

9OWPeap.jpg

DrBretto

Banned
Lightning haters like you are so annoying. She's one of gaming's most iconic figures and the face of a whole new generation of Final Fantasy games. The success proves her right. Just deal with it.

IcySharpHartebeest.gif

Lol. Lightning Returns is on my list of go-to games :p

I just apparently have super-human facial recognition or something, lol.

Koozek

Lol. Lightning Returns is on my list of go-to games :p

I just apparently have super-human facial recognition or something, lol.
Jokes aside, I don't care about Lightning - there is nothing to care about -, but LR is one of my favorite games last-gen. Amazing combat, great music, wacky sidequests that don't take themselves too serious. Think of it as a mid-budget JRPG, not a mainline FF sequel. In fact, I think, if it was a Valkyrie Profile-branded game, which it easily could've passed as with its similar themes and style of battle-system, it could've been a small cult game like Nier. Though the story would've had to be better than the non-sensical mess in LR, lol.

DrBretto

Banned
Jokes aside, I don't care about Lightning - there is nothing to care about -, but LR is one of my favorite games last-gen. Amazing combat, great music, wacky sidequests that don't take themselves too serious. Think of it as a mid-budget JRPG, not a mainline FF sequel. In fact, I think, if it was a Valkyrie Profile-branded game, which it easily could've passed as with its similar themes and style of battle-system, it could've been a small cult game like Nier. Though the story would've had to be better than the non-sensical mess in LR, lol.

It's definitely the combat that does it for me. And the extensive customization of the garments. You can make some really creative combinations.

The game is weird, and sometimes pretty cringey, lol. And I am probably 80% through the story and I have absolutely no idea what's going on, lol. But, it's really fun somehow. I play it in spurts, whenever minecraft doesn't have a grip on me. I want to push on through it so I can unlock hard mode, though. Except, I just started a new modded minecraft server, so I'll be doing that pretty much right up until FFXV drops.

Tyaren

If it makes a big difference, Sony should be doing everything possible to help them show it

Its a potential system-seller I think

But it also makes one version look inferior, the version 95+ % of all players will play. I don't think that would be a good marketing stunt. The Tomb Raider video also avoided direct comparisons.
Regarding the system seller:
It will be Sony that profits the most, not so much Square Enix...

LordKasual

Banned
Ah, still can't decide on whether to get a Pro or not. Waiting for a Pro patch tech video for FFXV now like this one for Rise of Tomb Raider from today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVyw2jVzlJE

Man, same...i had pretty much resigned myself to a $700 FFXV month since i also got the collectors edition...but then the base PS4 version started looking like Pro footage and now im confused

Which is funny because i told my sister i'd just give her my PS4 after i got my Pro

Ralemont

not me
Not gonna lie, it took effort. It's an acquired taste.

I liked LR, but less and less as the game went on. Part of that's just weird balancing of time mechanics: I thought that fighting well to get time points and then spamming Chronostasis was intentional game design for how to have enough time to complete all the sidequests. Turns out there's not actually a whole lot to do in the game and I ran out of quests at Day 6 of 13, and just had to mostly skip the rest of the days to get to the end. Also didn't like that crafting was COMPLETELY locked off until your second playthrough, like SE completely misunderstood the problem when people complained "crafting in XIII isn't useful until the end!" "Wakarimasita. Now it's not useful until after the end!"

Story sucked too but the combat was cool, I guess.

But it also makes one version look inferior, the version 95+ % of all players will play. I don't think that would be a good marketing stunt. The Tomb Raider video also avoided direct comparisons.
Regarding the system seller:
It will be Sony that profits the most, not so much Square Enix...

If that's a big worry for Sony, they shouldn't have bothered making the Pro tbh

They don't have to do side-by-sides to show us why its worth buying one

I liked LR, but less and less as the game went on. Part of that's just weird balancing of time mechanics: I thought that fighting well to get time points and then spamming Chronostasis was intentional game design for how to have enough time to complete all the sidequests. Turns out there's not actually a whole lot to do in the game and I ran out of quests at Day 6 of 13, and just had to mostly skip the rest of the days to get to the end. Also didn't like that crafting was COMPLETELY locked off until your second playthrough, like SE completely misunderstood the problem when people complained "crafting in XIII isn't useful until the end!" "Wakarimasita. Now it's not useful until after the end!"

Story sucked too but the combat was cool, I guess.

Had a similar experience.

I liked the combat, but when things started getting more difficult I started over-relying on Artemis Arrows which ended up sapping some of the fun. I beat the game once, but didn't feel motivated to spend more time w/ it and really master the combat.

Tyaren

If that's a big worry for Sony, they shouldn't have bothered making the Pro tbh

They don't have to do side-by-sides to show us why its worth buying one

Wait, no, that clearly isn't Sony's worry, but it is Square Enix's worry. SE just wants to sell the game, no matter what version (it is the same game disc after all) and Sony wants to sell the PS4 Pro.

DrBretto

Banned
Had a similar experience.

I liked the combat, but when things started getting more difficult I started over-relying on Artemis Arrows which ended up sapping some of the fun. I beat the game once, but didn't feel motivated to spend more time w/ it and really master the combat.

This is why I want to unlock hard mode. I am just overpowered at this point and I feel like it'd be more fun if I was forced to really learn the mechanics and the enemies' patterns and whatnot.

LordKasual

Banned
Lightning haters like you are so annoying. She's one of gaming's most iconic figures and the face of a whole new generation of Final Fantasy games. The success proves her right. Just deal with it.

IcySharpHartebeest.gif

Lightning has to be the most tryhard character in existence.

Everything about her just screams "please like me"

Wait, no, that clearly isn't Sony's worry, but it is Square Enix's worry. SE just wants to sell the game, no matter what version (it is the same game disc after all) and Sony wants to sell the PS4 Pro.

I think there are more sales to be had for SE though if the Pro version of FFXV is a notable showcase.

That seems to be the only thing that's really in it for the devs. Even if Sony has to pay SE to show off the Pro version, they should :p

LordKasual

Banned
Moeblobs probably take the cake there.

She is a moeblob. The Square Enix version of one.

"People love Cloud? AWESOME make him a girl and call her Lightning"

"Personality? fuck that cloud was a depressed loser in Advent Children and everyone still loved him"

"We have to sell XIII-2, she needs to be more iconic. Make her a goddess and slap her on the cover"

"Well art team couldn't decide how to top goddess, so lets just throw the closet at her. Also bump up her cleavage so she'll look good in a Miqo'te outfit."

"We still need to prove she's iconic, nobody's buying that shit...hey yo gimmie the phone, call Louis Vuitton"

zoukka

Nobody will remember Lightning. Cloud is still gushed over, 20 years after the games release.

(helps that Cloud first appeared in a good game)

Toth

While I had no problem following the story, I agree its a VERY underrated gem. The time limit does get blown out of proportion though since it is easy to circumvent it with Chronostasis.

DrBretto

Banned
While I had no problem following the story, I agree its a VERY underrated gem. The time limit does get blown out of proportion though since it is easy to circumvent it with Chronostasis.

I'm nearing the end of my first full playthrough, using no guides except when I'm really stuck on something and very occasionally use chronostasis. That aspect really is overblown. It's not like it feels like you have a gun to your head all day. I only use chronostasis if I get lost doing something time sensitive.

lul she's already been forgotten by everyone but the diehard XIII fanatics

She's still talked about daily on the internet.

Ralemont

not me
She is a moeblob. The Square Enix version of one.

"People love Cloud? AWESOME make him a girl and call her Lightning"

"Personality? fuck that cloud was a depressed loser in Advent Children and everyone still loved him"

"We have to sell XIII-2, she needs to be more iconic. Make her a goddess and slap her on the cover"

"Well art team couldn't decide how to top goddess, so lets just throw the closet at her. Also bump up her cleavage so she'll look good in a Miqo'te outfit."

"We still need to prove she's iconic, nobody's buying that shit...hey yo gimmie the phone, call Louis Vuitton"

Yeaaah but that's not tryhard in the same way moeblobs are, and I find the latter way more dumb.

Top Bottom