• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All-New Press Previews of Final Fantasy XV's First 5 Chapters

cheesekao

I've watched a bit and I've noticed that there are no skills. I know that magic is a finite resource thing but are there no weapon skills? Sorry but I haven't been keeping up with XV news.

Tyaren

I've watched a bit and I've noticed that there are no skills. I know that magic is a finite resource thing but are there no weapon skills? Sorry but I haven't been keeping up with XV news.

There are skills and abilities. They are just not shown in this video but have been shown numerous times in others.

Final-Fantasy-XV-Sph%C3%A4robrett-2.jpg

One thing I haven't seen so far in any gamplay video is swimming though. I guess it isn't in after all. We would have seen it so far if it was. :/

Monocle

Oh hell yes, I love what I'm reading, especially from Destructoid. Eos is like a jacked-up Spira from FFX? Uhh, yes please.

cheesekao

There are skills and abilities. They are just not shown in this video but have been shown numerous times in others.

One thing I haven't seen so far in any gamplay video is swimming though. I guess it isn't in after all. We would have seen it so far if it was. :/
I did a bit of searching and it seems a lot of the active skills are tag-team attacks. By skills I was thinking more of like special moves for a weapon.

Exentryk

Party banter and riding the car looks nice. That new area (Cleigne?) looks good too. I love seeing powerful monsters randomly in the areas. That Bandersnatch (?) in Duscae and that Midgar Zolom in Cleigne (?) looked inviting.
Dialogue, facial animation, mannerisms, etc., are a little poor though. Combat looks poor, but maybe they tightened things around; so will have to play to find out.

There isn't.

I did a bit of searching and it seems a lot of the active skills are tag-team attacks. By skills I was thinking more of like special moves for a weapon.

Weapon skills are via directional inputs as you attack.

sappyday

I think there's swimming in like rivers and lakes like the one in the Duscae area. But beaches like at Galdin there is a wall.

Even if it was mainly for polishing up the game, the extra two months looks to have been well worth for SE in turning around some of the anxiety surrounding this game.

Tyaren

I think there's swimming in like rivers and lakes like the one in the Duscae area. But beaches like at Galdin there is a wall.

Why hasn't any previewer shown that so far? You'd think at least one guy would have tried so far.
Nah, there doesn't seem to be any swimming. That's the chocobos job apparently.

the_id

Wife and I rewatched FFX and FFXII cutscenes and we have also been watching all the media for FF XV.

Sooo hyped for this game. Please be good. I can't wait.

I hope the story would make us cry like the story in FF X and Xii.

I did finally get to catch up on the Polygon vid, and the game is looking gorgeous. I'm looking forward to trudging around those big beautiful vistas. I was pleasantly surprised that both Ignis and Gladio sound a lot more natural and less stilted in the Titan portion of the demo. I don't know if the game was recorded in chronological order or not, but they both suddenly sounded immediately better those scenes. I did a double take. I love that Noctis is a bit of a whiny shit, and Titan was intimidating as hell. I really like Iris' English voice over the Japanese actress, though I'm still a bit bemused by her mo-cap. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to her bobbing around like a parrot.

I was a bit surprised how much the characters end up talking over each other, even during background dialogue whilst exploring the world. The English dialogue seems to lacking a lot of natural pauses? I don't mind characters interrupting each other, but this was constantly an issue of the dialogue not been naturally spaced. I love that there is so much dialogue and interaction between the characters, but it does make the weird dialogue pacing more noticeable, especially when it seems to not be an issue in the Japanese version. I'm also still really frustrated by the constant half-assed quips and puns, even in really serious situations. We've all been in serious situations and made a bad joke for comfort, but this is too constant. I like that the game is attempting to be funny, but it doesn't work if every single line of dialogue is a quip. Even Joss Whedon knows when to lay off.

It's a credit to the game otherwise that my biggest disappointment is still the contstant quest pop-up in the centre of the screen, and the fact the game has to frustratingly announce even the littlest thing. I don't think it's possible to turn it off...? It keeps throwing me out of my engagement with the world. It often feels like 'Go buy a newspaper!' -> 'You brought a newspaper!' -> 'Go read the newspaper!' -> 'Go recycle the newspaper!' I have less problem with it in games where there is a long time between triggering the next part of the quest, but it seems to pop up in FFXV ludicrously frequently, even over the littlest change in the quest. It might have been a bit more tolerable if it was smaller and off to the side, but no, it's incredibly disruptive, with a large animated graphic that takes up the screen. Some of the quest markers feel quite useless, too, especially when you only have to walk a few feet. (ie. Titan segment.) Whilst quest markers are something I'd utilise for side quests and hunts, when Noctis is in a small space it seems rather silly. Final Fanatsy has always been quite good at not being too hand-holdy - I feel like they've gone 'well, the world's big, we better tell them exactly what to do/where to go.' You've made this incredible world, guys, just let me get engaged with it.

Eternal quest pop-up frustration aside, can't wait for FFXV. The end of November seems so far away.

Kuni

This is all very exciting. I always had faith but man to see all of these glowing previews is just awesome.

Tyaren

I did finally get to catch up on the Polygon vid, and the game is looking gorgeous. I'm looking forward to trudging around those big beautiful vistas. I was pleasantly surprised that both Ignis and Gladio sound a lot more natural and less stilted in the Titan portion of the demo. I don't know if the game was recorded in chronological order or not, but they both suddenly sounded immediately better those scenes. I did a double take. I love that Noctis is a bit of a whiny shit, and Titan was intimidating as hell. I really like Iris' English voice over the Japanese actress, though I'm still a bit bemused by her mo-cap. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to her bobbing around like a parrot.

I was a bit surprised how much the characters end up talking over each other, even during background dialogue whilst exploring the world. The English dialogue seems to lacking a lot of natural pauses? I don't mind characters interrupting each other, but this was constantly an issue of the dialogue not been naturally spaced. I love that there is so much dialogue and interaction between the characters, but it does make the weird dialogue pacing more noticeable, especially when it seems to not be an issue in the Japanese version. I'm also still really frustrated by the constant half-assed quips and puns, even in really serious situations. We've all been in serious situations and made a bad joke for comfort, but this is too constant. I like that the game is attempting to be funny, but it doesn't work if every single line of dialogue is a quip. Even Joss Whedon knows when to lay off.

It's a credit to the game otherwise that my biggest disappointment is still the contstant quest pop-up in the centre of the screen, and the fact the game has to frustratingly announce even the littlest thing. I don't think it's possible to turn it off...? It keeps throwing me out of my engagement with the world. It often feels like 'Go buy a newspaper!' -> 'You brought a newspaper!' -> 'Go read the newspaper!' -> 'Go recycle the newspaper!' I have less problem with it in games where there is a long time between triggering the next part of the quest, but it seems to pop up in FFXV ludicrously frequently, even over the littlest change in the quest. It might have been a bit more tolerable if it was smaller and off to the side, but no, it's incredibly disruptive, with a large animated graphic that takes up the screen. Some of the quest markers feel quite useless, too, especially when you only have to walk a few feet. (ie. Titan segment.) Whilst quest markers are something I'd utilise for side quests and hunts, when Noctis is in a small space it seems rather silly. Final Fanatsy has always been quite good at not being too hand-holdy - I feel like they've gone 'well, the world's big, we better tell them exactly what to do/where to go.' You've made this incredible world, guys, just let me get engaged with it.

Eternal quest pop-up frustration aside, can't wait for FFXV. The end of November seems so far away.

Nice post! :)

I'm worried about the quest markers too...but I think I have read somewhere and saw a screen that you actually can turn different parts of the UI/HUD off in the menu. Weird that no one playing the game ever does... :/

cheesekao

Nice post! :)

I'm worried about the quest markers too...but I think I have read somewhere and saw a screen that you actually can turn different parts of the UI/HUD off in the menu. Weird that no one playing the game ever does... :/
I'm not sure why you think its weird as turning off HUD elements means getting less information and I don't think the average person would do that.

Tyaren

I'm not sure why you think its weird as turning off HUD elements means getting less information and I don't think the average person would do that.

Because the poster I quoted and I are not the only ones that find the big quest markers in the middle of the screen intrusive. You said you didn't really follow this game before but that complaint comes up a lot.
Also, by now I've watched like two dozen of different people play the game and still not even one tried to customize the UI/HUD. Yeah, I do think that's weird. Many of them are also gaming journalists. You would think they would want to try out everything possible even if it is just for their viewers who want to know that stuff.
Same goes for swimming. It's been mentioned and asked about a lot and still no one seems to even try. And that is definitely weird. Entering water is the first thing I do/try in a game when I see a body of pretty, sparkeling water. XD

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So, where's everyone preordering from?

Stupid GameStop for their exclusive retro style game (I'll sell this after I get the pre-order game)

And stupid Square Enix store for their stupid Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Someone will probably tell you about some -10% off deal they got on the regular game and that will be a better person than me.

I was always there, in the first wagon on the hype train, ever since 10 years ago.

Hell, I was riding the engine like a mechanical bull. My hype has never faltered. Every time I saw the game my hype went higher and higher.

Previews and early impressions being overwhelmingly positive has only increased my anxiety for playing the game.

Versus XIII was my most anticipated video game since 2006. No other game could take its spot, not even my personal favorites like Metal Gear Solid 4 or the Uncharted franchise, not even The Last of Us.

And now we're almost there.

Almost there.

Good man :)

Can't wait for this to come out. The wait's been the hardest part.

So, where's everyone preordering from?

Still got my Ultimate Edition preorder in on the S-E store.

Gbraga

I do not want to watch the videos (trying to avoid spoilers...).

Can anyone telling me if Lestallum has a good volume of NPCs?

It does! I opened this thread just to say this. Watched the entire Polygon video yesterday (not really spoiler-free at all, but it was a nice video), and Lestallum seems to be a lot more populated than in the "master version" video.

MilkBeard

rvdc.png

svdc.png

Jeuxfrance vid

Ravus looks cooler in-game than in Kingsglaive confirmed

It does! I opened this thread just to say this. Watched the entire Polygon video yesterday (not really spoiler-free at all, but it was a nice video), and Lestallum seems to be a lot more populated than in the "master version" video.

Yes, I noticed this as well. I didn't see much of Lestallum, but what part I saw had NPCs in the streets and they didn't seem to pop-in at a ridiculously close range like before.

Top Bottom