• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PSP bullshit goes in here

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
PSP at $300 essiently means it's out of the running (unless it's bundled with a 128 MS and game).
Barebones PSP at $300 will be another PSX (i.e:failure)

If Sony has any brains they will price it consequently.
But they're in a tight spot. Taking a huge loss on PSP is risky for various reasons, it's never worked with the handheld game model and they'll likely have to take big losses just a year later with PS3. At $300 PSP will still sell out to the enthusiast market and create buzz... I don't think Sony's looking at the 3 year lifecycle for PSP that most handhelds get, it looks like more of a long term platform to me (6+ years). By revising manufacturing over time, they'll drop the price enough and build up a decent enough market to make it a serious competitor for the next GB. I think we'll also get a new model of PSP in 2-3 years (OLED screen, better battery, etc).

jarrod said:
If PSP moves iPod numbers, it'll be a flop by game platform standards. 3 million units in 3 years is about what nGage is doing...

The iPod just sold 2 million units last quarter alone. (3 months). Those are absolutely insane numbers for absolutely any handheld.

BojTrek

Banned
Riddle me this... this is an honest question, I personally don't own and will never own a mobile game system. So... I don't read all the posts on power and what not...

Is PSP basically a mobile PS2 and is Nintendo DS basically N64?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
BojTrek said:
Riddle me this... this is an honest question, I personally don't own and will never own a mobile game system. So... I don't read all the posts on power and what not...

that's close enough for someone who isn't going to buy either.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What 2D game is that? Looks like Darkstalkers or something. I want more 2D on the thing. Then I'd buy one.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
The iPod just sold 2 million units last quarter alone. (3 months). Those are absolutely insane numbers for absolutely any handheld.
Woah... must be the mini. Got a link for that though, their previous annual report indicated 3 million units total in 3 years on the market.

GBA regularly pushes more than 3 million in 3 months though during the slow period of the year it should be noted.

Insertia

jarrod said:
But they're in a tight spot. Taking a huge loss on PSP is risky for various reasons, it's never worked with the handheld game model and they'll likely have to take big losses just a year later with PS3. At $300 PSP will still sell out to the enthusiast market and create buzz... I don't think Sony's looking at the 3 year lifecycle for PSP that most handhelds get, it looks like more of a long term platform to me (6+ years). By revising manufacturing over time, they'll drop the price enough and build up a decent enough market to make it a serious competitor for the next GB. I think we'll also get a new model of PSP in 2-3 years (OLED screen, better battery, etc).

They have no choice other then taking a loss. The handheld market is an extremely finicky market and at $300 casual gamers won't bite. Especially when GBA:SP is $79 and DS is $149. $300 with that kind of competition digs PSP's grave before it hits the retail.
Taking a loss even with the arrival of PS3 is a far greater advantage then wasting years of R&D and a chance to break into the handheld market (and at $300 that won't happen) They will break even eventually, so pricing high and not penetrating the market from the start isn't a smart decision.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
They have no choice other then taking a loss. The handheld market is an extremely finicky market and at $300 casual gamers won't bite. Especially when GBA:SP is $79 and DS is $149. $300 with that kind of competition digs PSP's grave before it hits the retail.
Taking a loss even with the arrival of PS3 is a far greater advantage then wasting years of R&D and a chance to break into the handheld market (and at $300 that won't happen) They will break even eventually, so pricing high and not penetrating the market from the start isn't a smart decision.
Sure.. but Sony might not be able to afford to do that with PS3 only a year away. Besides, PSP's got enough industry support and momentum, even at $300 it'll penetrate the hardcore.... then when SCEI can bring costs down, they can drop the price accordingly and drive mainstream/casual sales.

Insertia

jarrod said:
Sure.. but Sony might not be able to afford to do that with PS3 only a year away. Besides, PSP's got enough industry support and momentum, even at $300 it'll penetrate the hardcore.... then when SCEI can bring costs down, they can drop the price accordingly and drive mainstream/casual sales.

It's difficult to tell if Sony can or can not afford it considering we can only speculate how much they will lose. But regardless, Sony has deep pockets and for a product with as much sales potential as PSP I'm sure they would be more then willing to accept a loss.

And I agree, at the moment PSP does have enough momentum to be priced at $300 and sell out, but it's going to be the equivalent of PSX's momentum which sold well out of the gate and dropped like a stone a month later. At $300, PSP will be a repeat of PSX.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
It's difficult to tell if Sony can or can not afford it considering we can only speculate how much they will lose. But regardless, Sony has deep pockets and for a product with as much sales potential as PSP I'm sure they would be more then willing to accept a loss.
Sony's 'deep pockets" are in question though, some around here were speculating over the viabilty of PS3 losses, much less PSP. Buying MGM recently took a hefty chunk of change, and by most accounts pretty much only PlayStation and Spider-Man movies are keeping Sony above water... they're not in the best shape financially.

Insertia said:
It's And I agree, at the moment PSP does have enough momentum to be priced at $300 and sell out, but it's going to be the equivalent of PSX's momentum which sold well out of the gate and dropped like a stone a month later. At $300, PSP will be a repeat of PSX.
PSX's failure was due to it's design though, not cost. As you said yourself, it flew off shelves... it was only afterward when the negative consumer reactions started coming in that sales dropped. For PSP to be a repeat of PSX, it would mean Sony would have to fumble on the hardware side, not pricing.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
BojTrek said:

If you're talking strictly power, then yes, that's generally true (obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part).

If you're talking about games, both are receiving plenty of original content, though the DS looks to be getting more at this point, probably due to the two screens and stylus making it difficult for a developer to simply port a game over (versus the PSP, where it doesn't seem to be too hard to adapt the PS2 code for the PSP version).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Because it uses better, more expensive screen. I see how one could think they should look the same as they are both backlit, but that's simply not true. There are dozens of various backlit TFT screens, all of varying quality.

Marconelly said:
Because it uses better, more expensive screen. I see how you one think they should look the same as they are both backlit, but that's simply not true. There are dozens of various backlit TFT screens, all of varying quality.
True. Not all TFT displays are the same.

And PSP screen has more and smaller pixels.

Ranger X

Like Dark said it's just a difference in quality. You can't have that screen on a 149$ machine i suppose.
I have to say that the PSP screen indeed owns all.

Insertia said:
They have no choice other then taking a loss. The handheld market is an extremely finicky market and at $300 casual gamers won't bite. Especially when GBA:SP is $79 and DS is $149..

yeah but f'n A look at the thing. This is no Ngage we're talking about.

MattCoz

human5892 said:
probably due to the two screens and stylus making it difficult for a developer to simply port a game over
I think this is the first time I've seen someone claim that giving the developer more options makes it more difficult. If they wanted to do a simple port using just one screen and none of the other features, what's stopping them?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MattCoz said:
I think this is the first time I've seen someone claim that giving the developer more options makes it more difficult. If they wanted to do a simple port using just one screen and none of the other features, what's stopping them?
Nothing, really...but I think that if enough "normal" DS games used these features, a simple port that didn't would look bad in comparison. In addition, the PSP is suited for ports of games currently hitting the PS2, which means a PSP version can be developed in tandem. By comparison, a DS port would almost have to be of an older game, which could mean digging up/changing art assets, altering code, etc.

I'm not saying the DS will not receive any ports, of course -- just that the PSP is logically more suited for them.

snapty00

Banned
What's really surprising is that PSP has a a relatively large viewing angle. With DS and GBA, you have to practically look at the screen squarely or it starts to get difficult to see, but that's not the case with PSP.

jarrod

Banned
BojTrek said:
In terms of chipset performance, pretty much. There's still some differences though, both good and bad. PSP is only capable of about half the polygon output PS2 is and it's far less programmable, but it also has plenty of hardwired effects that'll make things much simpler and a better RAM layout. DS is lacking the texture filtering of N64, but it has slightly better ploygon output, much faster (and more) RAM and some hardwired effects as well (cell shading being the big one). Not sure about audio, but DS has many more sound channels than N64 and I've no idea how PSP/PS2 compare.

It's outside chipsets though that the handhelds differentiate from the consoles. DS moreso though... both have wireless/WiFi out of the box but DS also has a touch screen, microphone and a second screen as standard.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Far less programmable ? Last I checked they still had a programmable VFPU and more features in the Pixel Pipeline than the GS ;).

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Far less programmable ? Last I checked they still had a programmable VFPU and more features in the Pixel Pipeline than the GS ;).
Hey, just the way it's been explained to me. From my understanding, devs could do more with VU1/VU0... if I'm wrong feel free to let me know details?

Also, Pana could you give a comparison between audio on PS2/PSP & N64/DS? Everyone seems to gloss it over, I'd like to know how they compare?

Insertia

jarrod said:
Sony's 'deep pockets" are in question though, some around here were speculating over the viabilty of PS3 losses, much less PSP. Buying MGM recently took a hefty chunk of change, and by most accounts pretty much only PlayStation and Spider-Man movies are keeping Sony above water... they're not in the best shape financially.

PSX's failure was due to it's design though, not cost. As you said yourself, it flew off shelves... it was only afterward when the negative consumer reactions started coming in that sales dropped. For PSP to be a repeat of PSX, it would mean Sony would have to fumble on the hardware side, not pricing.

Sony isn't in the best financial situation atm, but they're in no hole. They've made three multibillion dollar company purchases this year alone.
They're more then stable enough to make it through PS3 and PSP while taking hits. The potential for those two is so great that it's worth the momentary loss.

Camcorders, cellphones, digital cameras, and portable music players are also keeping Sony afloat.

And I'd say PSX's failed largely due to cost. Didn't PSX become the best selling DVD player (or recorder?) after it's price drop?

TKM

Yah it must be a cost issue. Sharp has some of the best LCD technologies in the world, DS could have a high quality display if Nintendo (and consumer) pony up the dollars. PSP is amazing looking, as rich, high contrast, and wide viewing angle as Sony's XBRITE displays.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
Sony isn't in the best financial situation atm, but they're in no hole. They've made three multibillion dollar company purchases this year alone.
They're more then stable enough to make it through PS3 and PSP while taking hits. The potential for those two is so great that it's worth the momentary loss.
Well, I've gotta say I doubt it. Finalcial stablilty is actually what Sony needs right now, and unloading PSP at a massive loss won't help that, especially when they'll have to start doing the same thing with PS3 a year later.

Insertia said:
Camcorders, cellphones, digital cameras, and portable music players are also keeping Sony afloat.
And yet, Sony Electronics was in the red right?

Insertia said:
And I'd say PSX's failed largely due to cost. Didn't PSX become the best selling DVD player (or recorder?) after it's price drop?
Recorder, and that's due to the firesale clearance. DC did pretty well when it hit $49 iirc.

PSX's downfall was in it's sloppy integration. Period. It was a great idea though, SCEI should've done it inhouse imo.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm not trying to turn this into a PSP vs DS thread but I need to bring the DS in for a second as a frame of reference for discussing cost differential.

With Nintendo announcing the DS at a retail cost of basically $150, is the assumption that they are basically losing little or no money on the production of the DS at this cost? If so, if we examine what potentially adds/substracts on the PSP production cost, relative to the DS, we might get at a reasonable estimation of unit cost that's about the same level of break even for Sony as Nintendo is presumably getting with the DS:

+ 30% pixel count
+ 28 meg of internal memory (DS has about 4-5 meg internal, right?)
+ processing power greater by approx 1 "console generation" measure
+ (?) optical disc drive instead of remaining solely solid state
+ (?) USB 2.0 connection
- touchscreen capability
- only one form of wireless
- (?) no built-in microphone
- (?) no built-in software beyond system OS
+/- battery type (unknown)

I've put question marks next to the things that I think may have negligible effect on the cost of the unit itself, either way. I think what it boils down to is that the PSP's greater pixel real estate can probably be factored out of the equation based on its lack of a second wireless connectivity option and lack of touchpanel capability. Meaning that the biggest drivers of cost differential between the DS and PSP are probably the extra internal memory and the extra processing power.

If you then look at the next most comparable devices on the market at the moment, Tapwave's Zodiac handhelds, there's a $100 price difference between the Zodiac 1 and Zodiac 2 which are only different in that Z1 has 32 meg ram and Z2 has 128 meg of ram. So, if the going rate for an extra 96 meg of ram is approx $100, then 28 extra meg gets you approx. $30 bump in price.

So that would just leave the biggest question marks round how much the extra processing power adds to the PSP and what type of battery tech it uses and how much more expensive that is than DS battery tech. If we're floating around $180-190 for the cost of the PSP at this point, without having accounted for these two factors yet, how much more will these add to cost?

Considering that the GBA SP retails for $80 at this point, $70 more will get you the DS with:

+ 250% greater pixel count
+ two forms of built-in wireless
+ 1x generational leap in processing power
+ touchscreen capability
+ approx. 4 meg internal memory
+ 2nd solid state media reader slot
+ built-in software
+ built-in mic

Now, of course, the PSP processing power is something more like 2x generational leap in processing power compared to the GBA, but looking at what DS gets you over GBA, its possible that a 1x generational leap doesn't account for the better part of $70 price increase and as such suggests the possibility that a 2x generational leap wouldn't account for more than $70 by itself.

So I think its possible for Sony to sell a barebones PSP at $250 without losing a lot on the cost per unit, but would probably offer a bundle package at $300 that includes extras that generate the perceived extra value for some - i.e. include a memstick, headphones remote, etc. - while still letting them fully recoup unit cost because the extras don't fully account for the extra cost of the package.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Now, of course, the PSP processing power is something more like 2x generational leap in processing power compared to the GBA, but looking at what DS gets you over GBA, its possible that a 1x generational leap doesn't account for the better part of $70 price increase and as such suggests the possibility that a 2x generational leap wouldn't account for more than $70 by itself.
That's too simplified a comparison though, not taking into account timing of generational leaps into it. If PS2 released alongside N64 in 1996, it should have simply cost twice as much as the difference between SNES & N64?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I know I'm simplifying some things here in ways that may over- and underestimate in different cases, with the hope that these basically balance out. Best a mere layman can do with what's provided for some simple back of napkin calculations. I'm not trying to write the definitive cost differential study here. :)

Brofist

jarrod said:
That's too simplified a comparison though, not taking into account timing of generational leaps into it. If PS2 released alongside N64 in 1996, it should have simply cost twice as much as the difference between SNES & N64?

That analogy sounds off to me. To make the DS/PSP analogy fit that, the DS would have to be on par with the current tech (PS2) and the PSP would have to be on par with future tech (PS3). Then it would make more sense.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
I know I'm simplifying some things here in ways that may over- and underestimate in different cases, with the hope that these basically balance out. Best a mere layman can do with what's provided for some simple back of napkin calculations. I'm not trying to write the definitive cost differential study here. :)
Sure, but really the chipsets likely aren't the highest cost in either platform. Looking at things 'generationally' also downplays other comparative aspects (media/drive, TFT quality, etc) that work in DS' favor. What you're proposing is totally unrealistic and hoping things will basically balance out? Why bother in the first place?

kpop100 said:
That analogy sounds off to me. To make the DS/PSP analogy fit that, the DS would have to be on par with the current tech (PS2) and the PSP would have to be on par with future tech (PS3). Then it would make more sense.
We're looking at generation shifts here, Kaching brought up the comparison between GBA to DS to PSP being 3 generaional shifts. The analogy works.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wasn't my intent to downplay anything, else I would have left certain things off the list entirely but which I instead included for others to weigh in on. Its just representative of my personal evaluation of various tech trends in the portable/handheld arena. I think there's still value in establishing a baseline of feature differentials in order to ultimately get at a reasonable deduction of cost differential. I'm more than happy for anyone to provide more accurate information that better situates each factor's proportional significance to cost relative to other factors.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
and with a $300 ipod , i can store 10,000 tunes (for most people more than all thier favourite music ever). It can run a day without dying of charge. and can be used almost everywhere with limited interaction. Music is also an emotional attachment to most people.
Yes, and with PSP you can do other things, not any less advanced or interesting. It all bogs down to that they are both fashionable looking, solidly built devices that utilizes some sort of high tech, and are (or will most likely be) priced appropriately (hell, iPod is actually way behind as far as tech goes compared to PSP). I think PSP would do just fine at $300 as long as good games are there to get people interested beyond the 'wow' this looks awesome' point.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Teh old?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/15/news_6110669.html

TOKYO--In an interview with Impress Game Watch, Sony Computer Entertainment's chief of network system department Izumi Kawanishi confirmed that the PSP will be capable of downloading games via wireless LAN and playing them off a Memory Stick.

Whether Sony will take advantage of the functionality in the early period after the handheld's release is another issue entirely. But the capability can allow the company to distribute game demos in a similar fashion to what Nintendo announced for the Nintendo DS press event last week.

"It is technically possible" for the PSP to download games and save them on the Memory Stick, said Kawanishi. "But we want to push the Universal Media Disc (UMD) in the beginning, so we will start off with the release of games on disc."

Kawanishi noted UMD as used in the PSP is a read-only medium, meaning any data recording will have to use a Memory Stick. He went on to confirm that saved game play data for PSP games will also be recorded on the Memory Stick. And since data on the Memory stick can be accessed by connecting the PSP to a PC via USB ports, you'll be able to copy your saved data to your PC and retrieve it whenever you want.

While this sounds like a welcoming invitation to users that want to hack their game data, Kawanishi mentioned that SCE will be taking steps to prevent against such occurrences.

Later in the interview, Kawanishi noted that SCE is planning to give the PSP a resume function so that the player can stop playing the game at any time, and continue from that state later on. "It can really be done in software," commented Kawanishi. "The game developers can make and use their own various resume systems [in their games]. We're also planning to include a resume function on the PSP's internal software [firmware]."

Kawanishi confirms that the PSP will be able to run massively multiplayer online (MMO) games, which was first hinted late last month when SCE updated its PSP game line up, listing a to-be-named MMORPG as one of its titles in development. "Network games will be no problem" comments Kawanishi. "They can be produced just like the ones for the PlayStation 2."

When asked what would happen if the UMD is ejected while a game is running, Kawanashi answered that while it is not something users should do, there wouldn't be major issues. "The lid can be opened at any time, and what happens [to the game after that] can be controlled by the software," commented Kawanishi. "It's the same structure as the PlayStation or PlayStation 2. With most PlayStation 2 games, you can continue playing the game again once you close the disc tray."

For movie UMDs, Kawanishi comments that SCE is planning to give UMDs a region lock that follows the current industry standard, such as DVD-video.

Kawanishi, like every other Sony executive, avoided making specific comments on the PSP's battery life. He did state that the handheld can play back a full-length feature film and still have battery power left over. Charging the battery will be done by connecting the PSP to an AC adapter, and you'll be able to play games while the battery is being charged up.

Kawanishi stated that battery charge time should be similar to that of modern mobile phones (average mobile phones in Japan recharge in under two hours). Additional batteries will be available for purchase separately for the PSP, which uses a detachable battery rather than an internal battery. Kawanishi says that SCE decided to go with a detachable battery since the user can simply swap them out when the battery gets low.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Should have just pushed games using the Memory Stick format in the first place. Although piracy abound! would be inevitable.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I'm not sure if the swappable battery thing is old news or not (I hadn't heard it before), but that's definitely a plus for the PSP, especially if the battery life is as weak as rumored.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Wario64 said:
For movie UMDs, Kawanishi comments that SCE is planning to give UMDs a region lock that follows the current industry standard, such as DVD-video.
So no final word yet on region lock outs for games? *crosses fingers*

Wario64 said:
Additional batteries will be available for purchase separately for the PSP, which uses a detachable battery rather than an internal battery. Kawanishi says that SCE decided to go with a detachable battery since the user can simply swap them out when the battery gets low.

Hmmm..

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Defensor said:
Should have just pushed games using the Memory Stick format in the first place. Although piracy abound! would be inevitable.
It's a damn shame we always have speak in terms of rewritable media being more a bane than a boon to game hardware/software.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
kaching said:
It's a damn shame we always have speak in terms of rewritable media being more a bane than a boon to game hardware/software.
I know, I'm really more for the boon of using memory sticks though :)

marconelly said:
Are you crazy! Enjoy paying $300-400 per game :pP
Maybe Sandisk games will be cheaper :D

Top Bottom