• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PSP bullshit goes in here

Chittagong

Gold Member
Actually now that I think of it, there could be anti-PSP bias in Japan. I was working with a Japanese producer, a former Namco veteran. When I hooked up with him in E3 and asked what he thought of PSP, he said:

"I don't like it and think it will not be a success. It's not got a good feeling, it's not in balance."

During the E3 madness I didn't have the time to think it through, especially because the comment was so cryptic. Not good feeling? Not in balance? He kept insisting that the feeling is important. Too bad he couldn't explain it better. Maybe I'll e-mail him tomorrow.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How is this any newer info than this from back on 9/30
It's different because this basically confirms that PSP will play files which are not DRM protected, I think.

Oh, and for the alleged lack of confidence in Japanese developers, here's what TGS survey had to say about it:

46.1% already announcing games
30.8% would like to develop
15.4% no plans to develop
7.7% already developing
(completed by 79 companies)

How well do you think PSP will sell in the first year?
19.0% 2 million
14.3% 3 million
14.3% 1 million
9.5% 500,000
6.2% 7 million
4.6% 5 million
4.4% 100,000
1.5% 1.5 million
26.2% don't know
(completed by 65 companies)

So, 60% companies believes that PSP will sell at least a million.

XS+

Banned
Marconelly said:
The point is that one might consider buying some of them that offer stuff that is not available elsewhere. I'd like to buy for example a music/video album from a favorite band or something like that (like the music DVDs that you can buy, but this would be portable)
It's probably going to be a bit of a hassle to rip music/video to your PC and upload it to a Memory Stick, but this option sounds like non-game UMD software became that much less valuable.

EDIT: OK, I was wondering how this thread mushroomed into 5 pages.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's probably going to be a bit of a hassle to rip music/video to your PC and upload it to a Memory Stick, but this option sounds like non-game UMD software became that much less valuable.
Still, I would have no problem buying a music album on UMD if it has videos for every song on it. Encoding files and spending space on a memory stick for videos IS a hassle, when I can just buy a whole package, and probably in a higher quality than I'd be willing to encode those videos anyways.

XS+

Banned
Paying for UMD music/video that you can't play on a big screen/stereo-- when you can buy the more universal CD/DVD, convert them into an as small-as-necessary file size and u/l to your Memory Stick-- is a hassle as well.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
So, 60% companies believes that PSP will sell at least a million.
Not to turn this into anything else, but 1-3 million in a year is pathetic. NGage is past 2 million and it's a certified disaster... these quotes should hardly instill confidence.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not to turn this into anything else, but 1-3 million in a year is pathetic. NGage is past 2 million and it's a certified disaster... these quotes should hardly instill confidence.
OK, now my understanding of that was that the first year is Nov/Dec of this year only. But if it's global, and for whole 12 months, then I agree, that's very bad.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
OK, now my understanding of that was that the first year is Nov/Dec of this year only. But if it's global, and for whole 12 months, then I agree, that's very bad.
You sure, it just says first year... might be fiscal year though (which would be much better and in line with SCEI's own expectations more or less). I doubt it's Nov/Dec though, as PSP won't even release until early December most likely.

Chittagong said:
Too bad he couldn't explain it better. Maybe I'll e-mail him tomorrow.
yes, please do so. if you have any excuse to talk to someone from namco, you should always take advantage.

anyways, i understand what he meant. from what i've heard from the development community, things seem like they're just a mess.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Anything that guys like you and boutrosinit can be just a bit more explicit about would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, there isn't much point to vague rumor-mongering other than to stir the pot.

Brofist

Chittagong said:
Actually now that I think of it, there could be anti-PSP bias in Japan. I was working with a Japanese producer, a former Namco veteran. When I hooked up with him in E3 and asked what he thought of PSP, he said:

"I don't like it and think it will not be a success. It's not got a good feeling, it's not in balance."

During the E3 madness I didn't have the time to think it through, especially because the comment was so cryptic. Not good feeling? Not in balance? He kept insisting that the feeling is important. Too bad he couldn't explain it better. Maybe I'll e-mail him tomorrow.

Most impresssions I've read in Japanese magazines (gaming, tech, and gadgets magazines) have been favorable. Mostly praise for the screen, but overall good impressions.

Here's an interview about the PSP (its in Japanese so you'll have to use a translator to read it):

http://watch.impress.co.jp/GAME/docs/20041015/scej.htm

scej04.jpg

scej03.jpg

scej06.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Johnny Nighttrain said:
yes, please do so. if you have any excuse to talk to someone from namco, you should always take advantage.

anyways, i understand what he meant. from what i've heard from the development community, things seem like they're just a mess.

I e-mailed him, got an Out of Office for the next week. I asked him how he feels now that more of those devices is known, and what the overall feeling in Japan dev community towards PSP and DS is. I'll post a summary when I hear back from him.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SolidSnakex said:
Here's an interview about the PSP (its in Japanese so you'll have to use a translator to read it):

http://watch.impress.co.jp/GAME/docs/20041015/scej.htm
That just looks like the full transcript for the interview that Gamespot already reported on. Rather funny that they're talking to the SCE chief of network systems and yet the most concrete thing he said about anything network related was about the PC to PSP direct connection.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"make it 12 hours and I will buy"

christ, even if it's 2 hours and the games kick ass.... i can find ways to live with it.

I will personally throttle the next sony rep who says "comparable to other similar portable machines"...
could you be any more vague? is that a DVD player? a toaster? a vibrator? what?!?!

DCharlie

"Rather funny that they're talking to the SCE chief of network systems...."

holy fuck, they actually have someone coordinating that!??! ;)

Insertia

seismologist said:
It looks like it has expensive construction. They're definitely gonna try to get $300 for this.

You would love to see Sony be stupid and price at $300 or more, wouldn't you?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Err, PSP's screen is EXTREMELY high quality (at least the demo unit screens are). It is on par with the absolute best screens available in today's laptops (the glass coated LCDs).

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
scej01.jpg

He looks scared, like he's going to have to get naked with it. He needs a Game Boy as a fluffer...

DCharlie

"I dont think $300 means failure. iPods are like $300"

and with a $300 ipod , i can store 10,000 tunes (for most people more than all thier favourite music ever). It can run a day without dying of charge. and can be used almost everywhere with limited interaction. Music is also an emotional attachment to most people. Yes, the PSP can play MP3s too... you just have to buy 20 one-gig Memory stick cards so you can have the same capacity.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm not paying more than $100 for the damn thing, which means I'm prepared to wait a whiles for it to drop in price....a long whiles :(

DCharlie

the PSP screen kicks all manner of ass.

my jaw hit the floor when i saw it.

Infact , the last picture doesn't do it justice - it's THAT good.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
I dont think $300 means failure. iPods are like $300
If PSP moves iPod numbers, it'll be a flop by game platform standards. 3 million units in 3 years is about what nGage is doing...

Insertia

PSP at $300 essiently means it's out of the running (unless it's bundled with a 128 MS and game).
Barebones PSP at $300 will be another PSX (i.e:failure)

If Sony has any brains they will price it consequently.

jarrod

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
I'm not paying more than $100 for the damn thing, which means I'm prepared to wait a whiles for it to drop in price....a long whiles :(
This thing won't be $100 until the next Game Boy's ready for release I'll bet...

Top Bottom