• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alone In The Dark (2024) |OT| Christian Slater and Tara Reid Not Included

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Alone in The Dark - The New Nightmare is up for those interested, £7.99 if you want to actually purchase it or free with PS+ Premium
Game has both PAL & NTSC modes
Ignore my previous comment, the PAL version has boarder's.
I forgot it's the PS2 version that had the PAL 60hz mode
GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Alone in The Dark - The New Nightmare is up for those interested, £7.99 if you want to actually purchase it or free with PS+ Premium
But it was developed by European Devs so it's not an easy automatic choose NTSC.
PAL has a higher native resolution and doesn't suffer from slower speeds.
GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png
It's worth revisiting. Classic horror.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
But it was developed by European Devs so it's not an easy automatic choose NTSC.
GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png

Which video filters does this offer and any trophies?

Reactions: TGO

T-0800

GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png
I played this last night for the first time and was blown away to be honest.

TGO

Which video filters does this offer and any trophies?
It's a PSone Classic so the usual Filters I'm using Modern Arcade for scan lines and I don't think it has Trophies, I never checked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png
This game looks so cool but I got cucked by it at least twice trying to start it back on PS3. I never understood how to deal with the enemies and shut it off. I def wanna give it another try, probably just had to use my brain for once.

This and Siren were two Horror games I never "got" on PS3 back compat.

TGO

The New Nightmare is pretty cool. I played the Dreamcast version and replayed it last year. The lack of lip synk (they're not even moving their mouths) is a bummer,
I just remembered that the PS2 version added that to the game.

TGO

Alone in The Dark The New Nightmare just got an Update.
They've done something to it because it looks a lot sharper now and the lights in the game are fucking bright, had to check to see if added HDR 😂
Kurt Russell Sun GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Can anyone confirm or am I imagining this shit

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Devs made a mistake of putting two white main characters in the game.

Pretty much

Ive really fallen off of playing even though I think its a great game. Ill definitely shoot for finishing it by the end of the year and I still think its the most enjoyment Ive had with a game so far this year, but yeah, the game breaking bug (thats now fixed of course) really kinda soured the experience and Im finding it hard to come back to. They had me so hard when it released. Same shit happened to me with Metro Exodus. Broke on me at release, was fixed within the year and I just couldnt get back into it no matter how much I tried.

TwinB242

Ignore my previous comment, the PAL version has boarder's.
I forgot it's the PS2 version that had the PAL 60hz mode
GVVQQH0.png
Prp2XjW.png
pHat6Wo.png
Ma317fh.png
Y4akLLz.png
zGV65Gc.png

I dont know why they would port the PS1 version instead of the PS2 one.

TGO

I dont know why they would port the PS1 version instead of the PS2 one.
I've no idea, I would have preferred the PS2 version as the backgrounds are more detailed and it has better character models, better lighting and the effects are better too.
same with when they release the PSP versions when the PS2 version is superior.
but PS2 classic don't output in 4K and don't have the new features.
bout time they upgraded it and sort out a PS3 emulator too.
I'm sure some games work fine on PS5.

Alan Wake

Pretty much

Ive really fallen off of playing even though I think its a great game. Ill definitely shoot for finishing it by the end of the year and I still think its the most enjoyment Ive had with a game so far this year, but yeah, the game breaking bug (thats now fixed of course) really kinda soured the experience and Im finding it hard to come back to. They had me so hard when it released. Same shit happened to me with Metro Exodus. Broke on me at release, was fixed within the year and I just couldnt get back into it no matter how much I tried.
I know the feeling. But It's worth finishing.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finally started it. Have played about 1 and a half hours and its growing on me. Atmosphere, which is hugely important to horror games, is on point here. The manor itself has quite some personality, if thats the right word for it. I often dont like games which are confined to a single palace or are basically indoor, but this game so far seems to buck that trend (not that its always indoors).
The mystery is also intriguing enough.
The combat is hit and miss though. Hopefully it gets better.
For now looking forward to playing more.

Everything I've seen since the initial batch of mostly negative reviews is that it's actually a great game.

It sucks so much when this happens to a dev, especially when it's not a huge studio. Imagine working years passionately on something, making a great game but then getting a low meta score when it releases ...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The game has received a pretty big patch.

A new patch for Alone in the Dark is now live, adding Photo Mode, New Game+, a fix for the "Nobody knows what happened" achievement bug and much more.

New Features
• Added Photo Mode
• Added "New Game +" available after finishing the campaign once
o Start the game with all weapons unlocked
o Completely overhauled balance with more and tougher enemies
o Some additional gameplay-events and scares
o New, alternative intro

Critical Bugs Fixed
• Fixed black screen when solving attic puzzle after loading save made in attic.
• Fixed achievement bug "Nobody knows what happened"
• Fixed a large number of potential crashes and bugs related to audio issues
• Fixed missing keychain in French Quarter 1 after Save/Load
• Added fixes to avoid potential softlocks:
o Door to from Spiral Staircase to Grand Parlor to avoid soft lock when transitioning to Taroella
o Made sure the Parlor to conservatory door always in unlocked in Chapter 4
o Fixed an issue where the door between Grand Parlor and Spiral Stairs was locked in Chapter 4
o Fixed save issues with boiler valve
o Fixed an issue where the camera in Ruth's room was not interactable when playing as Emily; preventing the player from proceeding to Warphoto
o Fixed an issue where loading an autosave in chapter 4 made the player lose key items (contract and dagger)
• Fixed more than 90 collision issues that could make the player get stuck in environments

Quality of Life Features
• Added two additional save slots for the last autosaves
• Added tutorial popup for examination view.
• Add contextual dodge tutorial for when you have been in combat but not dodged for a while
• Melee tutorial will now also display if player is already in combat state upon picking up weapon.
• Added new icons for molotovs & brick throwable opportunities
• Added camera keyboard controls to the rebinding menu
• Split map and lagniappe tutorial messages into separate strings to better fit the screen.

Combat improvements
• Fixed wrong hitreactions playing for Steamboat Creature in some occasions
• Updated Cemetery Creature to be more responsive to damage received
• Disabled dismemberment on already dead creatures. Now only triggers on the killing hit.
• Updated Emily's combat animations to allow her to blend out of the animations earlier (eg. getting player input control back much sooner)
• Trimmed and sped up many of Emily's hitreactions to feel more direct and responsive
• The player can no longer switch weapon while suicidal (Dark Man)
• Tweaked Edward's heavy hitreactions so the player is allowed to regain input control sooner (smaller chance of stunlock)
• Improved Edward's melee swing arcs to hit so they hit enemies more consistently
• Decreased combat exit wait timer to not have the music played for too long after combat is finished

Other gameplay improvements
• Talisman: Increased the amount of time the player can look at the talisman when completing a puzzle to see all three pictures
• Updated Talisman pickup animations and sequence for both Edward and Emily
• Added bark for picking up the mummified cat lagniappe
• Added/adjusted various barks in Chapter 2 Derceto (pickups & puzzles)
• Added sound when trying to pick up max stack item
• Removed enemies that have not been killed in the warehouse fight if we reach the show room building and load a save
• Made sure the warehouse event cannot be retriggered after loading a save
• Boiler Valve Puzzle: Made sure the player can't interact with the puzzle when taking damage of the steam.
• Added fog and disabled the traversal to avoid backtracking down to the sewers in Gallatin street
• Added bark to noticing Cassandra's crime scene in the basement of spiral stair case
• Updated player character's "Awe" Reaction (used upon entering convent library)
• Added various instances of force feedback on controllers
o Added proximity force feedback to active Dark Man
o Added force feedback when landing on the ground after jumping down
o Added small force feedback on player death
o Added force feedback to transition to various game events (Steamboat storm event, cemetery, dead clerk in Derceto, crypt flicker anomaly, temple collapse)
o Added force feedback to grapple
o Added force feedback to unlocking doors with key
o Added force feedback to unbolting doors
o Added force feedback when trying to interact with a bolted or permanent locked door
o Add small force feedback when picking up consumables
o Added force feedback to walking in maggot piles
o Added force feedback on tackling doors open for single and double doors
o Added force feedback to resistance walk
• Added save logic to the "Jack in the box" - lagniappe to ensure you can only pick it up once.
• Added new plank walkway in Gallatin street dock area
• Allowing the player to triggering Edward's hidden ending in chapter 4
• Removed bark after climbing down ladder to crypt after plaza fight in cemetery
• Small audio improvements to cutscenes
• Added non-diegetic "boom" sound when an enemy is dismembered

Visual Improvements
• Updated size of objectives in the menu
• Tweaks and improvements to level visual guidance
• Tweaks and improvements to level lighting
• Added LODs to Edwards Ghost models
• Updated various animations (Combat, Gun Handling, characters reaching out to rails)
• Optimized interaction HUD
• Various updated textures
• Updated various meshes and UI elements for multiple key items (Sitting Room Key, Stevedore's Key, Kitchen Garden Key, Edward's Desk Key, Jetty Key)
• Updated UI for Batistes Keychain to only feature 3 keys
• Adjusted and added keys to both versions of Johnny the Conqueror cutscenes to match with the amount of keys you actually get
• Decreased lens frost intensity
• Added dust trail to car in intro cutscene
• Polished lighting of the final boss area and added more animations
• Improved mirror reflections
• Edited the jacket joints in Emily sneak animations to fix most of the clipping between the jacket and her skirt.
• Removed some missed full body dismemberment effects
• Updated setdressing for better visibility in the voodoo courtyard in French Quarter 1
• Added a minor set of vines outside of voodoo drugstore in French Quarter 1
• Updated water drop shader and fixed many areas in the game with water effects to work with the change.
• Updated Emily banter animations to fix sync issue between animation and sound.
• Added blood splatter decal to rock crushing cemetery creature in temple escape sequence
• Fixed issue with part of Edward's hair going invisible when far away
• Reduced flickering issues of cloth in windy conditions
• Improved visual quality of 8bit filter
• Updated Power of the Verb UI to better match the description
• Fix for player character having frost effect on clothes during confronting the Dark Man

Performance
• Improved Lighting in various cutscenes, improving performance
• Added preload component to cemetery corridor transition to reduce texture pop-ins.
• Several small visual fixes and improvements (reflections, lights)
• Several bug fixes to art assets improving overall performance
• Removed preloading of Arctic levels to reduce stutter and lag in final Gray's Apt sequence.
• Simplified fmod events for performance improvements

Steam Deck
• Added default video settings specifically for the steam deck
• Steamdeck ui support
• Steam Deck Icons resized
• Steam Deck Controller icons added
• Made the keybinding option hidden when playing on a steam deck

Balancing
• Boosted enemy health on hard difficulty and removed consumables
• Boosted the health of the steamboat creature
• Added new checkpoint in French Quarter 3 just before flooded section
• Added destructible weapons in French Quarter 3 to flooded area
• Updated weapon pickup in Cryptflicker Anomaly
• Added weapon drop spot to Dead Clerk Anomaly
• Increased chances of loot spawning, avoiding the possibility of empty containers.
• Healing flasks now change the healing amount based on difficulty.
• Added melee weapon pickups and dropspots to Derceto
• OilyRoom anomaly: Added melee weapons.
• Added support for flare gun ammo in dynamic pickups
• Spawning of consumables due to empty containers now takes the current difficulty into account when calculating health flask spawn rate
• Moved pickups in chapter 5 from bossfight gameplay to regular gameplay

Additional Bugfixes and Optimization
• Fixed noir and 8bit filters being wrongly displayed with enabled HDR
• Fixed bug where flare gun ammo is over Revolver/Remington after loading a save
• Fixed the menu so the options for dlss and dlaa are not enabled if dlss is not supported
• Fixed bug with subtitle size reset after game start
• Fixed an issue when binding an action to a key that is already bound. Now the old binding will get properly unbound and saved.
• Fixed an issue of players getting stuck while opening lockers in Oil Rig
• Fixed an issue of the "I abandoned him" achievement being possible to unlock early.
• Fixed an issue where it was possible to see the Mound Beast despawn in Oil Rig
• Updated credits and fixed spelling errors
• Disabled Flare Gun when Dark Man is active to avoid letting the player setting him on fire.
• Added timeout checks to avoid weapons getting stuck mid reload animation
• Fixed credits music not playing
• Removed duplicate save key of drowning disaster door to prevent the mansion door to be locked after loading a save
• Attic Puzzle: Added logic to add the item needed to continue the puzzle, if the player has already put it in the puzzle and the puzzle was reset.
• Gray's Apartment Checkpoint: Retimed when the save occurs to minimize the risk of the player getting stuck in when loading the autosave.
• Fixed a VO line in a cutscene not playing and multiple VO lines getting delayed
• Fixed weapon-fire audio getting sidechained (volume lowered) when shooting certain enemies
• Disabled checkpoints in chapter 4 to fix a bug where player could get softlocked in funnel when loading autosave.
• Fixed a bug where a molotov by the plaza in the cemetery could not be reached
• Attic Statuette Puzzle: Fixed an issue with the images in the talisman snapping out of focus.
• Chapter 2: Piazza door is now deactivated in CryptFlicker anomaly.
• Chapter 4: Funnel doors fixed in Gray's hallway.
• Moved up interaction icon on False book in Gray's office that was sometimes impossible to reach
• Fixed an issue where player got stuck when loading save in chapter 5
• Fixed the falling rock after chase event in cemetery
• Fixing issue with being unable to trigger a hidden ending
• Fixed multiple minor bugs that all would lead to ragdoll stopping immediately (most prevalent on loaded save game)
• UI fix for puzzle Dual Cemetery Medallions: move marker input hints was set to incorrect axis (left/right instead of up/down)
• Fixed bug where NPC dialogue would not be correctly reset upon picking up commonplace book.
• X-Ray Puzzle: Tweaked how items are swapped to handle plates clipping through it while moving the item there.
• Solved issue with player character shadow disappearing when the character gets too close to the camera

Oh wow, that's a massive update and I already thought the game was a gem even with the bit of jank I came across. I never experienced any major issues in my playthroughs.

Will definitely give this another go sometime soon and also glad I bought a physical copy on top of the digital, got access to the vanilla version for the sake of posterity.

I really wish more people would take a chance on this game, I'm sure some will when it goes on sale. It's such a dime to me, so much better than I expected it to be. AA greatness all day.

Last edited:
People got a problem with Alone in the Dark games. I like them all. Even the 2009 one.
Inferno is a great game. It's goofy for sure and has no shortage of jank but I always say that once you learn the mechanics, there's really not much else like it. The dynamic fire mechanics are awesome, lots of people have no idea the amount of options you have at your disposal and if you get hung up on something and don't want to deal, just pause the game and skip forward to the next checkpoint. It's awesome.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The game has received a pretty big patch.

A new patch for Alone in the Dark is now live, adding Photo Mode, New Game+, a fix for the "Nobody knows what happened" achievement bug and much more.
Stop. My penis can only get so erect.

This is $45 on PSN now.

Is it 60fps and smooth otherwise?

Ready to dive in after this giant list of improvements.

Oh wow, that's a massive update and I already thought the game was a gem even with the bit of jank I came across. I never experienced any major issues in my playthroughs.

Will definitely give this another go sometime soon and also glad I bought a physical copy on top of the digital, got access to the vanilla version for the sake of posterity.

I really wish more people would take a chance on this game, I'm sure some will when it goes on sale. It's such a dime to me, so much better than I expected it to be. AA greatness all day.
raises hand (just completed download)...

Stop. My penis can only get so erect.

This is $45 on PSN now.

Is it 60fps and smooth otherwise?

Ready to dive in after this giant list of improvements.
Even at 30fps it feels great, it was really smooth and not jittery like some fidelity modes I've experienced on PS5. I suspect the performance mode is solid though I'm sure others can comment, I only switched to it to see the difference and I preferred the clarity of fidelity because the game has a great lived in feeling and I always wanted to zoom in on various books, paintings, etc. in each environment.

I started a new save as Emily last night and I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect but the lighting looked much better in some areas. I never thought it looked bad but rays of light and reflections stood out to me more.

Unrelated but THQ Nordic related, picked up Outcast 2 last night.

Hell yea, really hope you enjoy it. Don't be afraid to melee, just abuse the dodge mechanic and you'll be fine. Has a perfect dodge too.
somewhere in chapter 2, & i'm gaming like it's 1999. the game's such a great throwback to 'the old days' of adventure games, & the developers've done such a nice job capturing that feeling with everything (tho I could've passed on the authentically awful shooting). thanks for the recommendation!...

somewhere in chapter 2, & i'm gaming like it's 1999. the game's such a great throwback to 'the old days' of adventure games, & the developers've done such a nice job capturing that feeling with everything (tho I could've passed on the authentically awful shooting). thanks for the recommendation!...
Just a reminder, modern Gamespot gave this a 4/10. Let that sink in.

Absolutely loved getting the Platinum trophy for this game. Spent a number of hours on this game and done literally everything there is to do. Really hoping that more games in the series are remade like this, because Alone In The Dark (2024) is an absolute gem.

I started a new save as Emily last night and I'm not sure if it was a placebo effect but the lighting looked much better in some areas. I never thought it looked bad but rays of light and reflections stood out to me more.

Unrelated but THQ Nordic related, picked up Outcast 2 last night.
After some time away, I can confidently say it has high level PS3-tier graphics. It is masked by the time of day and strong environmental light sources a lot of the time, but it cannot hide behind those in Teroella. That level of quality is perfectly acceptable for an AA production. I did have more framerate hickups with the game after the update unfortunately.

I saw the new intro and while I found the cinematics splicing amateurish I did enjoy the slower accoustic rendition of House of the Rising Sun (originally by Bob Dylan) with new Alone In The Dark-themed lyrics. New game plus feels a lot more like what the game should have been to begin with due to the enemy remixing. It unfortunately comes with the worst elements of Hard mode. Stingy bullet pickups, spongy enemies, tanky as hell facehuggers, and impossible to manage spawns during final boss battle. Worst of all, the difficulty during new game plus is locked unlike it is in other difficulties. That makes the ending tied to the final boss encounter unattainable for me.

P.S. The chapter 4 ending is only for Emily so the update notes about one for Carnby are wrong (though a Chapter 4 interaction behind Wishing Tree is necessary for a secret ending of Carnby in Chapter 5).

Last edited:
I saw the new intro and while I found the cinematics splicing amateurish I did enjoy the slower accoustic rendition of House of the Rising Sun (originally by Bob Dylan) with new Alone In The Dark-themed lyrics. New game plus feels a lot more like what the game should have been to begin with due to the enemy remixing. It unfortunately comes with the worst elements of Hard mode. Stingy bullet pickups, spongy enemies, tanky as hell facehuggers, and impossible to manage spawns during final boss battle. Worst of all, the difficulty during new game plus is locked unlike it is in other difficulties. That makes the ending tied to the final boss encounter unattainable for me...
right era, wrong artist. eric burdon & the animals:

"House of the Rising Sun" was said to have been known by American miners in 1905.[5] The oldest published version of the lyrics is that printed by Robert Winslow Gordon in 1925, in a column titled "Old Songs That Men Have Sung" in Adventure magazine.[14] The lyrics of that version begin:[14][15]

There is a house in New Orleans, it's called the Rising Sun
It's been the ruin of many poor girl
Great God, and I for one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_the_Rising_Sun

Just a reminder, modern Gamespot gave this a 4/10. Let that sink in.
just looked up mark delaney's gamespot history: few reviews, & maybe 2/3 of his articles cover fortnite?...
https://www.gamespot.com/profile/markdelaney/

With its reality-bending story, parade of puzzles, and unwieldy combat, Alone in the Dark is, in some ways, more faithful to some turn-of-the-century horror games than their own revitalized modern remakes. I enjoyed the game's story, setting, and abundant lore, and I felt smart when I'd overcome some of its puzzles. But others proved so obtuse as to be frustrating, and nothing about the combat even climbs to a level I'd call serviceable--it's consistently poor...

for a 4/10 game, it manages to do a number of things well, it'd seem...

Jesb

Would you guys say this worth full price? See that this is $60 here still. This game seems like a good 30-40 game. Not sure why it’s still not dropping

Last edited:

Alan Wake

Would you guys say this worth full price? See that this is $60 here still. This game seems like a good 30-40 game. Not sure why it’s still not dropping
For me it absolutely was. I even bought the Collector's Edition but I may be a bit crazy. It's a good game, if you know you like this type of soft horror games it could be no doubt really. Just get it.

Top Bottom