• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon selling re-sealed games as new or cost-cutting shrink-wrap the new norm?

I disagree, if you can afford to worry about the cellophane wrapping on your unopened entertainment products, clearly your life is in a happy and stable place so you can worry about inconsequential shit freely on a time wasting internet message board.

Bingo. Listen to the ninja. Remember how niche we really are here to begin with...

People bitching about a box, I can understand that. It's still a little funny, but I get people want to have a nice box. Freaking out because of shrinkwrap... No, that's full blown insane.

thankfully you not understanding or relating to something != insane

Look at all those poor sealed games...

...Wait, is that Smash sealed?! SMASH?! OP WHY

F5GxPUT.gif

His amiibos are probably sealed too, free them diggeh :p

My copy of monster hunter 4 was like that , really confused me at first but I saw other copies and they were like that , same with ducktales remastered with pin
Oh capcom

Not to drag this off-topic any more than it has been, but what are the yellow stickers on the spines of the games? Is that a standard US/Canadian retail thing or something?

I think they just indicate which games have the tuck-and-fold wrapping versus the two shrinkwrapped copies.

Walpurgis

Banned
I have some games that are still shrink wrapped because I bought them on sale (like ~$10 or less). It's not that weird.

As for OP's issue, I'm pretty sure that I have bought some games from Best Buy that had funny shrink wrapping like that. I never thought anything of it at the time. As a useist gamer, I am now sickened by what might have snuck into my collection.

miku

I bought Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, and Street Fighter x Tekken (all PS3 version) from Amazon on release date and they all came with crappy shrink-wrap like the one from OP.

Hope that helps.

Not to drag this off-topic any more than it has been, but what are the yellow stickers on the spines of the games? Is that a standard US/Canadian retail thing or something?
I think they just indicate which games have the tuck-and-fold wrapping versus the two shrinkwrapped copies.

*clears throat*

OK, so back in the era of 360 and only certain Xbox Original games being compatible, I took a pack of multi-colored stickers to place on the spines of the games I knew I could play in my 360 and revel in the additional AA.

Why didn't I just lump all those games together in a pile of their own? Certainly that could have worked, but hey--free stickers. Why not put them to use? Easy to spot on the shelf which ones worked and which didn't.

Then I used another color to denote which games were actually 240p (ummm, ICO?) and would be mangled by my new LCD. Another color for games that couldn't be forced into 480p and should receive proper deinterlacing.

I had a bunch of yellow stickers left over and figured I'd give them a use. Yellow became "still sealed".

Still have plenty of stickers to burn...

His amiibos are probably sealed too, free them diggeh :p

TBH, I never got the appeal of amiibos. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I bought Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2, and Street Fighter x Tekken (all PS3 version) from Amazon on release date and they all came with crappy shrink-wrap like the one from OP.

Hope that helps.

Is this regional? Could people mention which region they've received these awful shit-seals in? US, Canada, Germany?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Ignore the haters OP, shrinkwrap concern is more commonplace than people think. I don't buy games/movies anymore if they don't have the Y-Fold real factory sealed wrap. It's no coincidence that most of the games/blu ray movies I've had to exchange or return over the years due to scratches/fingerprints right out of the box have had that nasty sandwich wrap packaging.

I don't understand your strange habit of keeping games sealed though? Like, if something was wrong with the disc you'd want to know during the return window when you could still replace it, wouldn't you? o_O

I think they reseal games with French manuals.

i think this is the correct answer. bilingual sleeves/manuals probably need to be added after the normal manufacturing process. I assume some don't need to be resealed because they simply don't have anything else in them while a game like monster hunter comes with a decent sized manual.

OP should open it up and see what's inside.

sector4

Don't worry OP, I understand, you're not alone haha.

I can't say either way what's happened here, but I have had stuff like this happen in the past, the last one was Project Cars and was definitely brand new (picked up on release day) assumed it was just Bandai being cheapos.

I just checked the remainder of all my sealed games, and low and behold--I found one and only one other shit-seal.

Care to guess the title?

None other than Monster Hunter Tri.

I guess my memory is as shot as I'd feared. Thanks parenthood!

I'll chalk this up to Capcom + Canadian bilingual laws = cost-cutting sandwich wrap.

One goes back to Amazon, while the other takes it's place of shame next to its brother.

Suggestions on which one to return? ;)

Haha, I love the fact that the shrink wrap around the game is not enough to show that it is still sealed.

No, you see it makes sense when you know the whole system at work here. *wink*

When I finish a game, I put it in a re-sealable bag for safe-keeping. (Picked up that quirk in Japan). Not sure whether to thank or curse my oni-san for that one.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm in Canada and both Monster Hunter Tri and the Wii U version were sealed with the correct factory wrap for me so it's not a French manual thing unless you're in Quebec or something. What a mess just return them both and open your other games for crying out loud.

When I finish a game, I put it in a re-sealable bag for safe-keeping. (Picked up that quirk in Japan). Not sure whether to thank or curse my oni-san for that one.

Ok you've lost me that's..... odd... o_O

Don't worry OP I have over two dozen sealed games for various platforms including like six seven for Wii U. In total between systems I have over 200 unplayed games (at the end of the Gamecube, PlayStation 2 Wii and PS3 generations I got some great discounts on used games.

I also have to keep buying Nintendo games (particularly Wii U) at the slightest discount because they'll probably raise on price like several games of the last generation.

I just checked the remainder of all my sealed games, and low and behold--I found one and only one other shit-seal.

Care to guess the title?

None other than Monster Hunter Tri.

I guess my memory is as shot as I'd feared. Thanks parenthood!

I'll chalk this up to Capcom + Canadian bilingual laws = cost-cutting sandwich wrap.

One goes back to Amazon, while the other takes it's place of shame next to its brother.

Suggestions on which one to return? ;)

Are you telling me you also have a sealed copy of the Wii Monster Hunter Tri you never touched?

Wow.

iLLmAtlc

OP paid for new and should have gotten it. The shrink wrap is literally the only way to tell if you were ripped off.

And TC was very clear he was buying it for collection purposes which makes this more important. Not everybody buys games for the same reasons.

Are you telling me you also have a sealed copy of the Wii Monster Hunter Tri you never touched?

Wow.

No, I'm telling you I have two copies of Monster Hunter Tri sealed--one with a controller and one without. ;)

To paraphrase Raul Julia, "For you, the day Monster Hunter Tri came out was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

I jest, I jest. =)

fernoca

Is something that has been done for years. Sometimes it was because they had to open them to add something else, others because they received them without wrapping; and so on.

Having worked across multiple retailers, it was quite common. Is why I always found...weird people in here accusing Gamestop as if they were the only ones or the sole responsibles. Sometimes even Gamestop received games without wrapping, shocking! :p

If anything, whenever you open a similar sized game, (like a friend of mine does): unwrap it carefully, unfolding it at the bottom (using a blower to provide some heat if needed), then just remove it carefully and insert the Monster Hunter case inside it. Use some direct heat (like an iron at the lowest temperature) and put the opened-side, so that it glues back together.

KeRaSh

No, you see it makes sense when you know the whole system at work here. *wink*

Ah now that makes sense. It's hard to tell which games are new if even the old ones are sealed.

I used to be like you, I bought two copies from games that I really liked a lot (like MGS4, Devil May Cry 4, Dragon Quest VIII, etc.) and I remember that I was so meticulous looking for scratches on the shrink wrap or if it was factory sealed or just rewrapped, but to be honest I get tired of being like that, so I prefer digital stuff, games, music, etc....

Forsythia

Amazon shipped a replacement just because the shrink wrapping looks iffy to you? So it's not like the disc is scratched, or there is no disc at all, but just the wrapping? Kudos for Amazon, but really? I feel for the Amazon customer service guy having to deal with this sort of thing each day.

Did you buy the US version, or the bilingual Canadian version? Did it look like the one in this auction, as that appears to have tuck and seal.

Perhaps this was only for Canada, and they strayed from the norm of simply wrapping the bilingual cover over the original?
I bought the game directly from Amazon US, and not from a wholesaler. I thought all games in the U.S. now have bilingual text on the coverart? I've bought Pikmin3 , NSMB U etc. and they all seem to have a bilingual ESRB logo on the front and multilingual text on the back.

Normally I'd prefer to have just English text, but I let this slide because I assumed that all US games now have multiple languages.

U.S. Wii U gamers: do your games have bilingual covers?

I got Wolfeinstein for PS4 for a friend for Christmas. I ordered it online from Walmart.com and I picked it up locally. The game was only $20.

When I got to the store, I went to the layaway area (where you pick up your online orders) and the copy they gave me was a shink-wrapped, used-looking copy. Before, I went to the layaway desk, I had went to electronics and saw they had actual, real New copies, that did not look shrink-wrapped. So, I went to the electronics department with my shitty-looking used-looking copy and had them replace it with another one. My explanation was that it was a gift (it was) and the person I was gifting this to would think it is a used copy and be disappointed.

They exchanged copies, but they told me an interesting story. Apparently, they got a huge shipment of those shitty-looking shrink-wrapped copies from <somewhere> and they were shipped-in specifically for that sale. They were considered sale copies, while the version I exchanged it for were not consider sale-copies.

What the hell is going on? Either these are a shitton of used copies coming from <somewhere> or they are shitty-made new copies. But, where are they coming from? I cannot imagine that so many used copies of the game could be compiled on such short notice and I cannot imagine that the publisher is specifically making shittier-looking copies for use in sales.

Any idea what could explain this situation?

Ape

Banned
This might be some Schrödinger's cat shit, it wasn't previously opened until you "know" it was previously opened. Do you really want to do that to yourself?

nemisis0

I recived 2 games from amazon.de that were described as just good conditon but to my surprise they were near mint but also were resealed.

Draft

Stop buying games you won't play and instead use the money to get a nice shrink wrap machine of your own. Give those plastic boxes the artisinal wrapping they deserve.

People bitching about a box, I can understand that. It's still a little funny, but I get people want to have a nice box. Freaking out because of shrinkwrap... No, that's full blown insane.

What is so ridiculous about the OP wanting to know if he bought a game that was opened and resealed?

Mendrox

hey. why are u a super member?

Also OP please stop buying games when you don't even play them. Get the games that get rare immediately and all the other games when they are cheap as fuck. It's just stupid OCD and doesn't help you. Waste of time and money.

Edit: And please play Bayonetta

Zach

Let me teach you all about the shrink wrap machine.

Bigger places probably have a better one, but for a quick fix, there's a mini-shrink wrap machine that usually produces a seam if done in a rush. The wrapper probably ripped, so they took it off and shrink wrapped it with their own. Gamestop and I believe Best Buy does this shit all the time.

I worked at a local used game store in my youth and we had a shrink wrap machine. It was very simple. You just put stuff in the wrap, cut it with a hot guillotine thing, and then -- and I'm not joking here -- used a hair dryer to shrink down the wrapping around the item. When we did it to boxy items like games, it would end up looking like what OP posted.

And not that anyone cares, but we didn't do this to sell used games as new. We just classed up select items and would also shrink wrap used systems to keep all of the controllers, etc. together, which was kind of a pain.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Unlikely for Amazon themselves to do something like this, it quite simply doesn't make any business sense from their point of view.

Ultima_5

LOL. It means the game is sealed, and not to buy it again because DAMN I never get around to playing my games and occasionally forget what I own.

I don't know, it made sense at some point...

i don't understand how a sticker would keep you from making the mistake again

you should have an open games party dude. ill come over. i got nothing going on

Top Bottom