• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Sorry I've explained this a couple of times, sorry if you missed it.

The Pint Sized package was built specifically for the early adopters of the first Plentiful Package. If you notice we aren't merchandising it on site, nor is it in any of our emails.

We sold thousands of copies of the original Plentiful Package, and then came up with the Plethora, so the Pint Sized was created specifically for the first Plentiful Package buyers so they wouldn't feel cheated by buying early.

Cheers,
Tony
I see. In my idiocy, I assumed that the Plethora pack had all the games that were in the Plentiful and Pint Sized bundles. Out of curiosity, why weren't Sword of the Stars I and II included in the Plethora package? Anyway, thank you for the explanation. :) Guess I should read the fine print next time.

What's the deal with the Civ packs?

Cheers,
Tony

Individual games costs more than the pack and the Civilization 4 and 5 pack don't have Civ 5 GOTY but the 2K Strategy Pack does.

I escaped the first and bought the Civ 4 and 5 pack thinking that I'm so clever, and noticed that I could have gotten Civ 5 GOTY and Stronghold as extra with just some more dollars with the 2K Strategy Pack.

Also Civ 5 GOTY is 25$ while the 2K Strategy pack including it is 20$.

I see. In my idiocy, I assumed that the Plethora pack had all the games that were in the Plentiful and Pint Sized bundles. Out of curiosity, why weren't Sword of the Stars I and II included in the Plethora package? Anyway, thank you for the explanation. :) Guess I should read the fine print next time.

No worries, its not idiocy, it is a case of confusing situations. I'm fairly certain this is why most companies don't try and respond with as much agility to customer feedback.

Here was the scenario.

We built the first Plentiful bundle, it had a ton of success, so we wanted to create a better, more comprehensive one.

Our data showed us that the SOTS games were the least desired by our customers so we traded them out for some other stuff (Majesty, Warlock, CKII DLC) and announced the Plethora bundle.

Then, many of the customers who bought the Plentiful Package responded with "ZOMG I didn't even WANT SOTS!!! I would have just waited and bought the new bundle for $19.99 with the new stuff".

In response we created the "filler" bundle, which is the pint sized, but are not advertising it in the main sale on site, or in email.

The reason the bundle was created, however, was to address those who bought the first one...so I let those people know in the forums I participate in that it was available and that information, as a function of the internet, spread to others, like yourself who have the questions you do.

Hope this helps explain, again you shouldn't feel like an idiot, it is a complicated situation.

Cheers,
Tony

Individual games costs more than the pack and the Civilization 4 and 5 pack don't have Civ 5 GOTY but the 2K Strategy Pack does.

I escaped the first and bought the Civ 4 and 5 pack thinking that I'm so clever, and noticed that I could have gotten Civ 5 GOTY and Stronghold as extra with just some more dollars with the 2K Strategy Pack.

Also Civ 5 GOTY is 25$ while the 2K Strategy pack including it is 20$.

Got it. I guess my question is, how is this different than when Steam does franchise sales where individual games are not as good deals as the bundles?

Cheers,
Tony

REV 09

hey Tony, any reason why Amazon doesn't allow some digital items to be bought with points (Shop with Points)? i have a lot of points from my Amazon CC purchases and wish that i could buy game downloads with them.

Got it. I guess my question is, how is this different than when Steam does franchise sales where individual games are not as good deals as the bundles?

Cheers,
Tony

Steam prices the games in the bundle, generally, at sale but a bit higher than the bundle ratio. But the thing is, except the regional exceptions, buying game X on the bundle wouldn't be cheaper than not buying it in a bundle during the sale.
So if game X is 10$ and game Y is 5$ the bundle including both would be between 10-15$, all prices on discount.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really happy with these sales, would be even more happier if the Civ 4 was on steam too but still, really happy.

hey Tony, any reason why Amazon doesn't allow some digital items to be bought with points (Shop with Points)? i have a lot of points from my Amazon CC purchases and wish that i could buy game downloads with them.

This is a technical limitation. The team that manages the points likely has a dartboard somewhere with my face on it. I bother them about when we will get integrated almost every week.

Cheers,
Tony

Steam prices the games in the bundle, generally, at sale but a bit higher than the bundle ratio. But the thing is, except the regional exceptions, buying game X on the bundle wouldn't be cheaper than not buying it in a bundle during the sale.
So if game X is 10$ and game Y is 5$ the bundle including both would be between 10-15$, all prices on discount.

Don't get me wrong. I'm really happy with these sales, would be even more happier if the Civ 4 was on steam too but still, really happy.

Yeah, not asking for you to justify your request, just gathering data so I know how to better structure these deals in the future.

Cheers,
Tony

Tess3ract

Banned
A thing I'd really like to see is that even if a game is discounted in a bundle, for the time that bundle is around for the game out of the bundle to be discounted too. Maybe not as much as if you bought it in the bundle, but it saves me from buying multiple copies of stuff I already have.

Yeah, not asking for you to justify your request, just gathering data so I know how to better structure these deals in the future.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, as long as you are listening to feedback allow me to suggest you something. I know Amazon don't have a Steam Store like interface but pointing out which bundles/packs/deals include the game we are checking may improve the way this sale works. I like checking GAF and reddit for the packs but it would be really easier if we could just see them on the game page.

Let me give you an example:
I would like Bioshock 2 page to include a link to Bioshock Dual Pack page.

Well, as long as you are listening to feedback allow me to suggest you something. I know Amazon don't have a Steam Store like interface but pointing out which bundles/packs/deals include the game we are checking may improve the way this sale works. I like checking GAF and reddit for the packs but it would be really easier if we could just see them on the game page.

Let me give you an example:
I would like Bioshock 2 page to include a link to Bioshock Dual Pack page.

I agree with that completely. Making systematic changes to our product pages is insanely complex but I know it is being worked on.

Cheers,
Tony

I agree with that completely. Making systematic changes to our product pages is insanely complex but I know it is being worked on.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks, you are doing a great job, ask for a raise already.

I got an email telling me that the money is refunded, I'll talk to my bank tomorrow and if they got it I'll send it your way again to get Bioshocks.

Thanks, you are doing a great job, ask for a raise already.

I got an email telling me that the money is refunded, I'll talk to my bank tomorrow and if they got it I'll send it your way again to get Bioshocks.

Word! I keep buying games during our sales...and telling myself I'm going to start working through the backlog.

Then I enter Summoner's Rift and never come out...

Cheers,
Tony

U114h.jpg

First day and I've already bought Max Payne 3, Spec Ops: The Line and XCOM bundle. My poor wallet. EDIT: And oh yeah, ARMA 2 as well...

kharma45

Tony, two things.

I wish Amazon UK had someone as awesome as you, and I wish they did digital PC games for us over here too :(

Edit - Before I get quoted again, yes I know I can buy games from the US site.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
No worries, its not idiocy, it is a case of confusing situations. I'm fairly certain this is why most companies don't try and respond with as much agility to customer feedback.

Here was the scenario.

We built the first Plentiful bundle, it had a ton of success, so we wanted to create a better, more comprehensive one.

Our data showed us that the SOTS games were the least desired by our customers so we traded them out for some other stuff (Majesty, Warlock, CKII DLC) and announced the Plethora bundle.

Then, many of the customers who bought the Plentiful Package responded with "ZOMG I didn't even WANT SOTS!!! I would have just waited and bought the new bundle for $19.99 with the new stuff".

In response we created the "filler" bundle, which is the pint sized, but are not advertising it in the main sale on site, or in email.

The reason the bundle was created, however, was to address those who bought the first one...so I let those people know in the forums I participate in that it was available and that information, as a function of the internet, spread to others, like yourself who have the questions you do.

Hope this helps explain, again you shouldn't feel like an idiot, it is a complicated situation.

Cheers,
Tony

can't win them all, but i'm glad as heck your trying your damnest

iNvid02

Tony, two things.

I wish Amazon UK had someone as awesome as you, and I wish they did digital PC games for us over here too :(

1. go to amazon.com and sign into your account (even if it is from UK)
2. add new address, anything from US will do as long as its real, fake number too
3. buy the game you want, select the new US address, use your regular CC, done

Amazon UK will prob have their own DD service by next year i believe, should be good
But i doubt it will beat our insane price drops, retail is already too good to us sometimes

kharma45

1. go to amazon.com and sign into your account (even if it is from UK)
2. add new address, anything from US will do as long as its real, fake number too
3. buy the game you want, select the new US address, use your regular CC, done

Amazon UK will prob have their own DD service by next year i believe, should be good
But i doubt it will beat our insane price drops, retail is already too good to us sometimes

See my above post. I know you can do this but it'd be nice to see it available natively for us in the UK.

Quikies83

Can anyone comment on how good the COD: MW 2 online community is? I read that there are no dedicated servers but aside from that, is the game worth it?
I haven't played a COD on PC since COD 2.

Max Payne 3 bought. <3 amazon.

preordered NCAA college football '13 earlier today for PS3 as well. Even if it is a price match $45 is awesome.

Can anyone comment on how good the COD: MW 2 online community is? I read that there are no dedicated servers but aside from that, is the game worth it?
I haven't played a COD on PC since COD 2.

There is no one playing it. This is the sad truth I noticed after getting it recently from a sale. You can wait for half an hour and not see even a single person matched to your game. But if by any chance you get it add me on steam so that we can get the number of active community members to 2.

Quikies83

There is no one playing it. This is the sad truth I noticed after getting it recently from a sale. You can wait for half an hour and not see even a single person matched to your game. But if by any chance you get it add me on steam so that we can get the number of active community members to 2.

Heh, thanks. I'll be passing on this one.

Megasoum

Banned

Heh, thanks. I'll be passing on this one.

I played recently (1 or 2 months ago) and there was still a ton of players online. Seems to be a bug with the matchmaking servers which makes it take a while to start but once it's on there's no problem playing with people. When I played I was level 1 (I played on 360 only when the game came out, got it on pc recently) and I was the only one that wasn't at least a couple of times prestiged in the game haha.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

There are certainly a LOT of players still playing. Matchmaking sometimes sucks and takes a while.
Not that the game is worth it anyway. Multiplayer is only explosive spam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played the first 7 "milestones" (out of 20) in Syndicate after picking it up for 15$ and I honestly don't even know if I would qualify what I have played so far as being 15$ material.

The game feels completely devoid of character/soul.

U114h.jpg

First day and I've already bought Max Payne 3, Spec Ops: The Line and XCOM bundle. My poor wallet. EDIT: And oh yeah, ARMA 2 as well...

Lol this is awesome.

Tony, two things.

Edit - Before I get quoted again, yes I know I can buy games from the US site.

Hey there, I'm not sure what the plan is, if there is one, for UK expansion. I know we just launched in Germany and Japan.

If we do launch a UK DD business maybe I'll try to get transferred :). London sounds fun.

nba 2k12 steamable?

DCX

Yep :). Make sure to buy the "Steam" version, this is indicated on the page.

Cheers,
Tony

goober

I played the first 7 "milestones" (out of 20) in Syndicate after picking it up for 15$ and I honestly don't even know if I would qualify what I have played so far as being 15$ material.

Ouch.
?

You saved me 15 dollars.

Detox

Is this the coop or SP?

Duxxy3

I already regret buying max payne 3. I was very critical of the PS3 version but figured the PC version would have been a better fit for me since that's how i played MP1/MP2.

That's just not the case, i simply do not like this game. Max controls like he's moving in molasses, checkpoints are waaaaay too few and far between, the gunplay is not as satisfying as 2 and the worst... the cutscenes. The ENORMOUS amount of game disrupting cutcenes. I could go on and on but it's not worth my time.
The game does look great it and runs smoothly on my machine. So there's that.

It's been said before and i'll just repeat it. Max payne 3 feels like a rockstar game, not a max payne game.
Slightly offtopic, i thoroughly enjoyed alan wake and played through it in about a day. I guess that makes me a remedy fanboy?

If it were console game i would be trading it in for whatever i could get for it.

Bentendo

Damage so far:

-Bioshock 1+2
-X-Com Collection
-Space Marine

I'll be getting Binary Domain when that's on sale too!

Tess3ract

Banned
580 sli is such a waste of money lol.

Nothing but the most outlier of games will begin to tax that system, especially if you're running at 1080p or below

_woLf

All of the Civilization 5 stuff is PC only, right? I'm kinda confused because when you buy the game on steam, you get the PC and mac version for one price. But amazon's page has a different product page/price for the Mac versions.

Top Bottom