• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Has the witcher 2 ever had a good sale? Wouldnt mind picking this up as I have heard lots of good stuff but its not usually my type of genre.

Cheapest I've seen it was $16 on Amazon last year but non steam so everyone ignored it lol.

i never got this. why do people care if something is steamworks? you know you can add any game you want to your steam list so you can launch it within steam. is it because of the achievements?

sazzy

Tony, a quick UI suggestion:

Some way to tell quickly which are new titles added to the July sale catalog as they are added. For example, I found the Spore for 5 deal on deals4downloads.com which linked back to Amazon, and not by browsing the Amazon page itself.

Nelo Ice

Banned
i never got this. why do people care if something is steamworks? you know you can add any game you want to your steam list so you can launch it within steam. is it because of the achievements?

I don't get it either but Gaffers love their steam because of having everything in one place or ease of use etc etc. Yeah I find it so difficult to DL a DRM free game that I actually own versus really a subscription steam and having to go through the pain and trouble of installing it through an exe and adding it as a non steam game. Of course it's incredible how many people will give their arm and leg to avoid non steam and pay up just to get a game on steam or even double dip just because the game is on steam.

It's just nice knowing that if something ever happens you can just re-download all your games from one place. Sucks trying to remember passwords and log ins to like 5 different digital video game services

Jintor

It's like some kind of compulsion I hold

I'll deal with non-Steam games (actually I quite like it for a certain type of game - quarantining all my Sims games to Origin, for example) but if possible I prefer Steam-activatable.

AlexBasch

I like them on Steam or Origin (wait, hold your horses, hear me out) because of how better it's to download the games from there, sorry Tony but the Amazon Games Downloader (for stuff like Assassin's Creed 1 and The Witcher were pretty difficult to download correctly), instead of just inserting a code and download it through there.

I'm talking about games bought from Amazon though, not sure about the rest of you.

rac

Banned
Which xcom should I start with? Are there any mods for them that are good? Or should I just wait for the new xcom coming out?

Aeana

With Steam, I only have to download the size of the game. With every other download service, I have to download an installer and then it has to install, so that requires twice the hard drive space. If a file gets corrupted, I have to download the installer again and reinstall, whereas with Steam, I can just verify the cache and get the busted file. When other download services figure out the benefits of this, I will very gladly patronize them.

Tony, a quick UI suggestion:

Some way to tell quickly which are new titles added to the July sale catalog as they are added. For example, I found the Spore for 5 deal on deals4downloads.com which linked back to Amazon, and not by browsing the Amazon page itself.

We'll add heavy hitters to that featured titles "shoveller" at the top. Other than that, I'll try and update all the threads as often as possible when we add stuff (and email Neloice).

Cheers,
Tony

Nelo Ice

Banned
I like them on Steam or Origin (wait, hold your horses, hear me out) because of how better it's to download the games from there, sorry Tony but the Amazon Games Downloader (for stuff like Assassin's Creed 1 and The Witcher were pretty difficult to download correctly), instead of just inserting a code and download it through there.

I'm talking about games bought from Amazon though, not sure about the rest of you.

Yeah the Amazon downloader isn't very good. Bought Bulletstorm from Amazon for $2 and the install took forever and based on what others have said it's because if something fucks up it downloads the whole game again.

Yeah the Amazon downloader isn't very good. Bought Bulletstorm from Amazon for $2 and the install took forever and based on what others have said it's because if something fucks up it downloads the whole game again.

Yay for developers! I'm told many of these issues are addressed in our current cycle. I'll let you guys know when it is live.

Cheers,
Tony

Ledsen

Because having different games on 3-5 different dl services makes it a pain in the ass to keep track of your games having them in one place only is very convenient. Personally I avoid anything that isn't steam or Gog, but i do have a drm-free game or two on amazon.

sazzy

We'll add heavy hitters to that featured titles "shoveller" at the top. Other than that, I'll try and update all the threads as often as possible when we add stuff (and email Neloice).

Cheers,
Tony

Ah I see. Just remember that hardcore gamers (aka GAF etc) are interested in non-heavy hitters as much as the heavy hitters :)

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Is it really that hard to understand? It's just far more convenient having it in one place. Having it seperated across 10s of services (Amazon, Desura, gamergate, impulse, gamefly, ....) means that I have to remember where I bought what game everytime. With Steam, not so much. Adding games to steam means that I have to download AND install every nom steam game I own. I simply don't have that much space on my HDD. So yes, I will pay more to have a game on Steam.

Love how they have the Steam version if you wanted that. Awesomesauce. Just got MP3 and 2K12 for steam, all for $30. Got a $10 discount from somewhere (don't know how)for MP3. Not bad.

ghostmind

Which xcom should I start with? Are there any mods for them that are good? Or should I just wait for the new xcom coming out?

Start with UFO Defense. It break you down so that you can be reforged and be ready for the new challenge.

Alex

I need New Vegas, as well. C'mon Tony, I'm sure there's someone you could menacingly wave a bat at or something.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Can someone (esp. Tony) help me out here?

I just ordered MW2 for Steam and it says invalid key...

Is there a list of games working/not working with "Amazon Games & Software Downloader". I downloaded Civilization 4 Complete without problem yet can't get it to download Stronghold.
Reinstalling the "Amazon Games & Software Downloader" started the downloads, it started the already finished ones too but once they are canceled the Stronghold Collection started downloading.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nope, but I've read that it's really difficult unless you're playing co-op as the game is designed with co-op in mind. I'll wait for it to drop to £5.

I heard that 2 player co-op was more difficult because the co-op mode was designed for 4 players. The single player is fine AFAIK.

Zoc

Binary Domain isn't available on Steam in this country (Japan). It doesn't show up in a search on the website or through the Steam app. If I bought the Amazon version and put the key into Steam, would it work?

Top Bottom