• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

read the OP, everything's there. ;)

Don't see ARMA II: CO listed, wasn't that supposed to be on sale at some point? I know that there was an issue with the keys or something for it, so I guess that never gotten straightened out and they had to can whatever sale they were planning for it?

Yeah, I also bought it for 5$ back a few sales ago on Origin. Granted the community still updates it fairly frequently (updated rosters, rinks, uniforms, etc.) but it still sucks that it's the last PC NHL game we've gotten in forever.

Ya, I was getting it to try it with that. The only thing I didn't notice, have they updated the controls at all? Or have patches to do so? I think faceoffs and some other things have changed since 09 hasn't it?

Elginer

I FIXED IT!!!!

It's dumb and for some reason doing a Google search doesn't supply this answer.

Go to C:\Users\<userdir>\AppData\Local\PAYDAY

Inside there is an XML file that has your config. For some reason if you look at the refresh rate, mine was set to 24. I changed that to 60 and now I run at 60 fps. Keep in mind that make sure your resolution is correct because if you change it in game, it will screw up the refresh rate again.

OMG thank you! Now it runs just fine.

Are you guys playing on HDTVs by chance? Driver San Fransisco defaulted to 1080p24 when I played it on my TV through HDMI. I had to force it to detect a 60 Hz refresh rate through RadeonPro.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey Tony, anything planned for a Steam version of Driver San Francisco? I hear the story is fantastic and would love to check it out.

kaskade

This thread is amazing. I feel like it's a gaffer saying, hey I want this game for cheap and Tony gets it done. I love it.

Double D

Very specific question about Mirrors Edge. What does the LB (on the 360 controller) button do? LB is broken on my wired controller so, as ridiculous as this sounds, I base a lot of my purchase decisions on the function of that specific button.

Very specific question about Mirrors Edge. What does the LB (on the 360 controller) button do? LB is broken on my wired controller so, as ridiculous as this sounds, I base a lot of my purchase decisions on the function of that specific button.

Uh, I think all the parkour stuff like sliding and wall running, so I wouldn't recommend it. Don't know if you can remap that button in the PC version.

EDIT: Oh, I believe that was LT yeah.

scitek

It jumps. Very essential. Not sure if you can remap it as I've never tried to.

sazzy

Are you planning on fixing it or buying a new controller? :\

SparkTR

Considering the Rockstar classics bundle -- mostly for Bully. Can anyone comment on how good the port is??

It's not the greatest port, capped at 30fps and don't even try to play it with a m/kb. Other than that it's fine and worth the price, it's not any worse than the 360 version.

Double D

Are you planning on fixing it or buying a new controller? :\

Yes. I actually have been trying to track down one of those wireless things so that I can use a wireless 360 controller, but they are damn near non-existent at retail. It seems like they are 3rd party anywhere else. Anyone else using the wireless thing? I realize that wired is better, but I own 5 wireless controllers, so it seems like the adapter thing is a smarter buy.

Quikies83

It's not the greatest port, capped at 30fps and don't even try to play it with a m/kb. Other than that it's fine and worth the price, it's not any worse than the 360 version.

I tried the 360 version years back and it was playable.
Is the 360 controller compatible with the PC version??

Getgamesgo has these current deals:

Any price-match incoming for Sniper Elite V2 Tony? I'd much rather throw my money your way.

We don't generally match international sites. I'm working on a Sniper Elite V2 deal though.

Hello Tony,
I asked this in the other thread but I didn't get a reply.
I already have bought the previous "SEGA 48-Game Mega Arcade Pack" from March. I am missing only SEGA Genesis Classics Series 5. If I buy it, are the games going to be added in my current collection when I run the Sega Genesis Collection executable?

Nice work with the deals :)

Oh good question. I think this is the case. I have all the collections, and recently bought the 5th pack. Now I have 1 launcher with everything in it.

Don't see ARMA II: CO listed, wasn't that supposed to be on sale at some point? I know that there was an issue with the keys or something for it, so I guess that never gotten straightened out and they had to can whatever sale they were planning for it?

Still waiting on keys :( :( :(.

Hey Tony, anything planned for a Steam version of Driver San Francisco? I hear the story is fantastic and would love to check it out.

If not, I'm sure Steam will be putting it up for sale 50 or even 75 percent off.

Steam had it for 75% off last month.

Yeah, we won't have any Ubi stuff up in July. I'm almost certain Steam will though, so it is likely that we will match whatever they do and you will have the option of buying from either of us :).

Cheers,
Tony

Gibbo

Bought my very first digital download from amazon awhile ago- The Square Enix pack. Is Amazon's download service usually this slow? I managed to download Just Cause 2 via steam in less than 40 mins. When downloading Tomb Raider Underworld directly (Not steam redeemable), my download stood at only 10-15% after 45 mins. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Megasoum

Banned
It's crazy, I finished Spec Ops last night (all in one night) and I'm sitting at work right now and still thinking about that... What a crazy and amazing experience.

Sober

Ya, I was getting it to try it with that. The only thing I didn't notice, have they updated the controls at all? Or have patches to do so? I think faceoffs and some other things have changed since 09 hasn't it?
If it's like it was years ago, and what I saw from browsing a few months ago, then no. The closest they can do with it is artwork or rosters that can be changed (and I doubt they can actually make 'new arenas' (if a team changes venues), just retexture it as good as it can get.

Controls, I played around with the 360 controller, seems okay. It has a semi-primitive version of the current gen (i.e. PS360 versions) controls where you can shoot with the RS but it's not as great as I think.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah, we won't have any Ubi stuff up in July. I'm almost certain Steam will though, so it is likely that we will match whatever they do and you will have the option of buying from either of us :).

Cheers,
Tony
Amazon price matches anything Steam puts up on these big sales? Because it seems like it more and more..

Nelo Ice

Banned
Amazon price matches anything Steam puts up on these big sales? Because it seems like it more and more..

They did this last Winter. Pretty much anything they have will be price matched during a Steam sale or undercut. Like when MW3 was like $40 dollars during the Winter Sale and Amazon threw out a $35 sale.

edit: Tonys pretty much priced matched any Steam sale actually now that I think about it lol.

scitek

That's why Amazon has him. They're able to price-match in nearly real-time (as quickly as the hamsters can move, anyway) and are able to be extremely competitive with the Steam sales. Not to mention a lot of what they sell is redeemable on Steam, so Valve benefits from Amazon's aggressiveness, too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. I actually have been trying to track down one of those wireless things so that I can use a wireless 360 controller, but they are damn near non-existent at retail. It seems like they are 3rd party anywhere else. Anyone else using the wireless thing? I realize that wired is better, but I own 5 wireless controllers, so it seems like the adapter thing is a smarter buy.
The wireless adapter is absolutely amazing and well worth it.

Check Amazon or eBay.

If it's like it was years ago, and what I saw from browsing a few months ago, then no. The closest they can do with it is artwork or rosters that can be changed (and I doubt they can actually make 'new arenas' (if a team changes venues), just retexture it as good as it can get.

Controls, I played around with the 360 controller, seems okay. It has a semi-primitive version of the current gen (i.e. PS360 versions) controls where you can shoot with the RS but it's not as great as I think.

Alright that's what I figured. Hopefully it's good enough for having updated rosters.

Tony, do you think you'll be getting Sniper Elite V2 for less than $19.99? Granted you've heard anything back from them of course....

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

As others have said, it jumps, which is kind of important. You can swap the shoulder buttons, but then you won't be able to do a quick 180, which is also fairly important. You can't customize any further than that, so if you don't have any other controller, you should avoid ME.

Not the same person but what exactly am I looking for and how much should I spend.

Something like this that is a controller and comes with the usb dongle also to make it wireless. You could also get a wired controller if it doesn't bother you. You might be able to find the dongle by itself but just be wary of knockoffs since I've heard bad stories about them not working. You can see the dongle in the 3rd or 4th pic on the page I linked to.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not the same person but what exactly am I looking for and how much should I spend.

12 bucks for a fake one:

http://dx.com/p/pc-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-xbox-360-controller-black-129230?item=7
http://dx.com/p/pc-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-xbox-360-controller-white-grey-129241?item=18

Free shipping from China, which means it'll take a month to arrive.

I have both, a Fake and a Original one. There's virtually no difference between them. You MAY need to input some drivers for the fake one, but they come in a CD and I didn't (maybe because I already had the original drivers installed before, I'm not sure). They report as being the same to Windows, so there are no game incompatibilities.

You can't get original ones by themselves new anymore. They're only bundled into "Games for Windows" controller bundles (which is just a 360 controller and a wireless receiver).

You might get an original used one on eBay or Amazon, but they have the shitty habit of blowing up a shitty fuse inside them, rendering them unusable. You can easily fix by gaping the connection between the both solder points. I just did it yesterday to one of my old ones.

Since they're so hard to find (and I doubt the fake ones even have that fuse), I'd tell you to buy the fake ones from China. It'll take a while, but you can buy two at a time and never have to bother with it again (because if it's breaks, just swap to your other one, and order a single one as a backup again).

12 bucks for a fake one:

http://dx.com/p/pc-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-xbox-360-controller-black-129230?item=7
http://dx.com/p/pc-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-xbox-360-controller-white-grey-129241?item=18

Free shipping from China, which means it'll take a month to arrive.

I have both, a Fake and a Original one. There's virtually no difference between them. You MAY need to input some drivers for the fake one, but they come in a CD and I didn't (maybe because I already had the original drivers installed before, I'm not sure). They report as being the same to Windows, so there are no game incompatibilities.

You can't get original ones by themselves new anymore. They're only bundled into "Games for Windows" controller bundles (which is just a 360 controller and a wireless receiver).

You might get an original used one on eBay or Amazon, but they have the shitty habit of blowing up a shitty fuse inside them, rendering them unusable. You can easily fix by gaping the connection between the both solder points. I just did it yesterday to one of my old ones.

Since they're so hard to find (and I doubt the fake ones even have that fuse), I'd tell you to buy the fake ones from China. It'll take a while, but you can buy two at a time and never have to bother with it again (because if it's breaks, just swap to your other one, and order a single one as a backup again).

Hmm, if they're alright then that might be ok. I know the knock off ones on amazon and stuff always have bad reviews of them dying within a week or two of using them.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Hmm, if they're alright then that might be ok. I know the knock off ones on amazon and stuff always have bad reviews of them dying within a week or two of using them.

The official ones suck too unless they fixed it. If you unplug it while your PC is on then it fries a chip or something. Mine stopped working presumably because of that so I just got a wired controller.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What's the longevity like? I had a genuine one that apparently decided to die at some point during its few months on my shelf.

As I explained, the Original Ones have a flaw in the design. I've heard multiple stories, but the most accepted ones are these two: They either heat up and the fuse inside them blows up (it's not supposed to blow up under heat) OR the fuse blows up when you plug/unplug the receiver with the computer ON, as it has a too low rating. They SEEM broken, but you can easily fix them by either replacing the fuse or bypassing it altogether, as explained here: http://replayproject.wordpress.com/...x-360™-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-windows®/.

I never opened up my fake one (as it never stopped working, as opposed to the two original ones I got that stopped working after two months), I've had it for over a year, always plugged in. If you ask me, the "fake" ones don't have that fuse, so I believe they won't "fail", but I can't confirm it because I can't be bothered to opening one up.

I really recommend the fake ones, as they're cheaper and easier to come by. I linked DealExtreme because that's where I get mine (since I'm from Brazil and that offers free shipping) and you pay waht they're worth (12 bucks), but you can easily find fake ones on eBay and Amazon at a decent price, I'm sure.

What's the longevity like? I had a genuine one that apparently decided to die at some point during its few months on my shelf.

Same thing happened to mine. It worked fine the last time I used it, but it was sitting unplugged for ages. Now that I have a new setup, it's completely dead.

Top Bottom