• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Sai-kun

Banned
Binary Domain. Yes or no? I'm leaning towards yes because even though I still have to finish Alan Wake (+American Nightmare), it seems pretty cool.

edit: will it work with steam?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Re Amalur DLC: I can't speak to the boxed retail version of Amalur and the DLC, but I purchased Amalur on Origin and then bought the two DLC packs on Amazon and entered the DLC keys into Origin and downloaded them that way with no issues.

So if the retail version of Amalur makes you install Origin to play it, you will almost surely be ok with buying the DLC keys via Amazon and then entering the keys into Origin to download them there.

(The Amalur DLC is totally worth it btw, particularly at that price. Those two packs are probably the meatiest DLC I've purchased so far this gen - multiple hours worth of quests, completely new settings and characters, and entertaining stories.)

JAGII

Neo Member
Bulletstorm is satisfying as hell when things go boom.

Haven't played the other two but Bulletstorm is greaaaaat.

Bulletstorm it is, then. Thanks for the suggestions! Now to convince myself that casual interest in The Sabetouer is not reason enough to get the Burning, ect. Pack.

We have Space Marine for $7.49 right now too btw.

Cheers,
Tony

Whoops, I must have overlooked that. Thanks!

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well have no clue why Binary Domain got deleted sorry about that. Guess it must've been accidentally deleted when I was trying to clean up the upcoming sales >< apologies about that. Also lemme know if I missed anything, been crazy to keep up with all the deals Tony's throwing out and since somehow everyone's reading my OP lol.

Link Man

Banned
Re Amalur DLC: I can't speak to the boxed retail version of Amalur and the DLC, but I purchased Amalur on Origin and then bought the two DLC packs on Amazon and entered the DLC keys into Origin and downloaded them that way with no issues.

So if the retail version of Amalur makes you install Origin to play it, you will almost surely be ok with buying the DLC keys via Amazon and then entering the keys into Origin to download them there.

(The Amalur DLC is totally worth it btw, particularly at that price. Those two packs are probably the meatiest DLC I've purchased so far this gen - multiple hours worth of quests, completely new settings and characters, and entertaining stories.)

Thank you! Yes, the physical version requires Origin to play, so this will most likely work.

Guys,

We moved the EA stuff that was starting 7/8 to start tomorrow so some of you who want to play can do so over the weekend (you can thank our EA rep for that, he just called me and suggested some people want to spend their weekend playing Amalur and Fifa :) ).

I'll email this to Nelo shortly for the OP (with the forum markup).

7/6-7/14

Kingdoms Of Amalur-$24.99
Legend of Dead Kel DLC-$4.99
Tooth of Naros DLC-$4.99
FIFA Manager 12 - 9.99
FIFA Soccer 12 - 9.99
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 - 4.99
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters - 9.99
Madden NFL 08 - 4.99
Need For Speed World Bronze Starter Pack - 7.49
Need For Speed World Gold Starter Pack - 14.99
Need For Speed World Silver Starter Pack - 11.24
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - 4.99
Alice: Madness Returns - $4.99
Bulletstorm - $4.99
Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight - $4.99
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - $4.99
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3: Uprising - $4.99
Dead Space - $4.99
Dead Space 2 - $4.99
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $4.99

7/6-7/8
Battlefield 3 + Battlefield Premium - $79.99
Mass Effect 3 - $35.99
Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Version - $47.99
ME1 + ME2 DD + Mass Effect 3 DD - $59.99

7/12-14
Need for Speed: The Run - $9.99

Cheers,
Tony

Yessss, thank you magical EA people. Definitely picking up Fifa tomorrow.

Lingitiz

Just wanted to pop in here and say that everyone should give Binary Domain a chance. Its got great shooting, genuinely interesting characters and story, and a fairly unique universe. I'm on chapter 4 so far and i'd say its campaign could rival the quality of Gears 3 or UC3 on any day.

feel

Just wanted to pop in here and say that everyone should give Binary Domain a chance. Its got great shooting, genuinely interesting characters and story, and a fairly unique universe. I'm on chapter 4 so far and i'd say its campaign could rival the quality of Gears 3 or UC3 on any day.
Agreed. I'm near the end now and I'm completely blown away by it, can't recommend it enough.

Game got pretty poor reviews across the board
who cares, these same reviewers are giving 9s and 10s to all kinds of garbage games

vaelic

Banned

BigDug13

Times like this I realize that even if they stopped making new consoles and games today, I would still have a plethora of amazing games to play for the rest of my life.

No regrets on Binary Domain. Its a solid game.

Agreed. I'm near the end now and I'm completely blown away by it, can't recommend it enough.

Sounds like the two people quoted above you disagree, what did you think when you played the game?

Cheers,
Tony

Tony can we plz plz plz get a battlefield premium deal..pretty pweeze

I would totally be all

tumblr_m4yj0ia8CJ1r91g01.gif

if you could make it happen

I got Binary Domain in the sale and I've been enjoying it. It lacks a little bit of the polish that seems to guarantee 8s and 9s from the western press, but it makes up for it with satisfying shooting and, as said, an interesting story/world.

It's definitely a B-game, but I could see a lot of people having more fun with it than some of the usual suspects of the TPS genre. I know I am.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Gaf, I need some advice.

I want to get an action game, but I'm not sure which to pick up: Binary Domain at 10 bucks, Space Marine at 7.50 (assuming that will be the Steam price), or Bulletstorm at 5 bucks. I've played the demos of each, and liked them all, but no one stood out over the others.

My sole criteria is "Must be satisfying when stuff goes boom." I really don't want much story involvement, as I want to be able to listen to podcasts and such when I play. I intend this to be a veg-out game. That said, I don't want something too terribly long, as I have limited game time and I do like to finish my games.

Any suggestions?

Binary Domain and Space Marine are both really, really fun games. Both games do a really great job of just making it fun to squeeze the trigger and blow the crap outta stuff, it just feels good.

Binary Domain you're going to be gunning down robots, and you can blow their limbs off and watch them squirm. It's really cool blowing them away and watching their armor peel off and react accordingly.

Space Marine you're killing fleshy things and the impact from your weapons feels just right. Nice meaty guns, lots of gore, and the melee is brutal in a good way. You're going to be making Commodus tongue-roll face a lot.

Space Marine has a pretty fun and challenging Horde More, and on PC the multiplayer is small but still kinda active.
Binary Domain didn't have quite as active multiplayer, but that could change with this sale going on.

Anyway both kicked ass. They are both a steal at sub $10 no doubt. If you can only pick one just kinda pick your style I guess.

- Actually Binary Domain does have more cutscenes and story elements I guess, so if you just want to completely veg out I would go with Space Marine. You could probably pick up the gist of the story by watching with the sound off anyway haha. But you will miss Mark Strong as the hero, and he sounds like a badass.

- Didn't play bulletstorm, cant say.

Sounds like Binary Domain is one of those games where gamers should completely ignore the reviews. I may have to jump on it since it activates on Steam and all.

Lingitiz

Since when has that really mattered with this type of game? (low budget, little marketing) Either way alot of people on GAF seem to like it a whole lot, and most people picking it up in this thread have nothing but good things to say.

I'm having fun too, but I SUCK. WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

You just have to keep playing and you will get better. That's why i love VT4 so much, it's rewarding and you actually get better the more time you put into it. Such a fun and addictive game, you don't even have to like/follow tennis to enjoy it. I hope you're using a controller as well.
Since when has that really mattered with this type of game? (low budget, little marketing) Either way alot of people on GAF seem to like it a whole lot, and most people picking it up in this thread have nothing but good things to say.

And more often than not GAF and forum impressions in general are a better gauge of a game's quality. No real bias, no PR monkeys breathing down your neck to write a positive review, just regular people.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ugh, going through Origin customer support nightmare trying to get Bulletstorm to activate. I complained and got my question elevated to the "expert" team after the live chat person said it just wouldn't activate (after I got a picture of the email and the game in my games library signed and dated at their request).

I'm sure I'll have to end up calling them tomorrow anyways. Bummer, I moved my computer into the living room so I could hook it up through the ethernet cable. :(

Megasoum

Banned
All this BD talk really makes me want to play it. Too bad I can't buy anything from Amazon right now (sorry Tony! My Canadian Bank is ?$%"/%"% stupid).

I'll probably end up getting it somewhere else down the line.

hlhbk

Is there any way to fix Binary Domain so it is full screen (without black borders) at 1920x1200. Devs seriously need to support 16x10 resolutions.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Tony your avatar looks too poorly made for you to be stuck with it, so I figured I'd help remove the jaggies and get a more official looking avatar for you.

Feel free to use either of the four, the diagonal ones are so that there is more room for the words so they appear larger.

ibfXZElzVAzg8O.png

ipAKZlp0XBYOl.png

ixfi4u4C1hleE.png

ib0EwDkAa73saq.png

nickelpat

Neo Member
probably not going to be able to pass up kingdoms of amalur for $25

I'd definitely recommend picking it up, I don't regret paying full price and I'll be grabbing the DLC.

It doesn't have the strongest story, and it's not the open-world bliss of Skyrim, but it has some of the best combat I've seen in an RPG.

Tendo

I'm eyeing that Warlock: Masters of the Arcane game. Any good? It comes bundled with some other games I haven't heard of but that one caught my eye.

Tony your avatar looks too poorly made for you to be stuck with it, so I figured I'd help remove the jaggies and get a more official looking avatar for you.

Feel free to use either of the four, the diagonal ones are so that there is more room for the words so they appear larger.

ibfXZElzVAzg8O.png

ipAKZlp0XBYOl.png

ixfi4u4C1hleE.png

ib0EwDkAa73saq.png

Changed!

Cheers,
Tony

I'd definitely recommend picking it up, I don't regret paying full price and I'll be grabbing the DLC.

It doesn't have the strongest story, and it's not the open-world bliss of Skyrim, but it has some of the best combat I've seen in an RPG.

Cool, appreciate the info.

Aselith

I'm eyeing that Warlock: Masters of the Arcane game. Any good? It comes bundled with some other games I haven't heard of but that one caught my eye.

I had a great time with it. There are few things I'd like to improve like I think there's not enough time before a time decision to really explore the portal worlds in a normal game but you can probably turn off time victory (not sure because I didn't mess with advanced game options at all.) And I feel like the units between factions don't have enough to distinguish them and there are only three types of city.

That said, it is a much tighter and more strategic experience than you get in a lot of mass market 4X games and there are a ton of units even when you count the aforementioned repeats between factions.

I really enjoyed it and it's a steal at 19.99 let alone the deal price. Definite buy also I'd get the DLC stuff. It adds some really cool units.

Top Bottom