• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Chrysalis

Wanting to jump on the BD bandwagon as well, but I've heard the keyboard controls are unplayable and that, in truth, you must use an 360 controller. Anyone disagree?

Ugh, going through Origin customer support nightmare trying to get Bulletstorm to activate. I complained and got my question elevated to the "expert" team after the live chat person said it just wouldn't activate (after I got a picture of the email and the game in my games library signed and dated at their request).

I'm sure I'll have to end up calling them tomorrow anyways. Bummer, I moved my computer into the living room so I could hook it up through the ethernet cable. :(

Nice you must of had the same origin support guy I was talking too. Jumped through all the same hoops you did and nothing but a new key to use on "windows live platform since it isnt an EA game". I wish you luck.

Wanting to jump on the BD bandwagon as well, but I've heard the keyboard controls are unplayable and that, in truth, you must use an 360 controller. Anyone disagree?

I will be able to tell you tonight. I don't have the 360 wireless adapter yet so I'll be playing it with M/KB

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Tony

It's total bullshit. The thing you hear people bitch about is that the default key layout is atrocious. Simply get your ass to run the configuration and change the keys. Problem solved.

Wait...is your game just not working or not activating on Origin?

Cheers,
Tony

The game wont register on origin period after 2 days of origin phone support I was just given a new key. I'm asuming the first key i got from you guys works if I just download it from my software library. Was just trying to get it registered to Origin. I guess it just depends on who you get to answer the phone.

Alucrid

Banned
It's total bullshit. The thing you hear people bitch about is that the default key layout is atrocious. Simply get your ass to run the configuration and change the keys. Problem solved.

I mean, I played with the default controls and didn't have a problem at all.

Elginer

Still regret getting payday. It was so so for a bit and now it's back to running like crap. Oh how I wish I could resell it or give it away. Actually, no. I wouldn't want to make anyone suffer.

Still regret getting payday. It was so so for a bit and now it's back to running like crap. Oh how I wish I could resell it or give it away. Actually, no. I wouldn't want to make anyone suffer.

i bought the darkness 2, it looks so good but it was a 5 hour experience.. should have been priced at 7.00 though

The game wont register on origin period after 2 days of origin phone support I was just given a new key. I'm asuming the first key i got from you guys works if I just download it from my software library. Was just trying to get it registered to Origin. I guess it just depends on who you get to answer the phone.

This is odd, thanks for the feedback. I'll forward this over to EA.

How long will the 7.49 price for Space Marine will last? I think that after several sales of it I should get it already, haha.

Through the end of 7/8.

Hey Tony,

I really want to buy Mount & Blade but is it Steam enabled?

Ours is not, I'll work on getting Steam keys for it.

Cheers,
Tony

Lancehead

Hey Tony, I'm sure this has been asked before, but any reason why not all the games in the Total War bundle are Steam activated?

Bentendo

So happy that Binary Domain is currently the best selling PC game over at Amazon right now. I wonder if Sega anticipated it to sell so well during the sale.

Aselith

Hey Tony, I'm sure this has been asked before, but any reason why not all the games in the Total War bundle are Steam activated?

I can answer that one for you. At some point, Sega switched over to Steamworks on Total War but everything prior to that isn't, so it doesn't activate on Steam. It is possible for a publisher to add a Steamworks wrapper or to work with Valve to get Steam activatable keys issued if they so choose but clearly Sega didn't feel the need and thus the games don't activate on Steam.

Shogun 2 and the other Steam activatable games were all Steamworks from the get go so there isn't non-Steam version of them.

Because the ones that don't are too old. The retail versions never were able to activate on steam back then only the newer ones have had that built into it. They only register with steam if the retail key would normally register with steam normally.

Edit: beaten.

Souther

Banned
It seems ALOT of people on Amazon are complaining of invalid serial code errors when trying to get Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit to run.

It's only $5 in this sale but it would be nice to know if this has been looked into already.

Lancehead

I can answer that one for you. At some point, Sega switched over to Steamworks on Total War but everything prior to that isn't, so it doesn't activate on Steam. It is possible for a publisher to add a Steamworks wrapper or to work with Valve to get Steam activatable keys issued if they so choose but clearly Sega didn't feel the need and thus the games don't activate on Steam.

Shogun 2 and the other Steam activatable games were all Steamworks from the get go so there isn't non-Steam version of them.

Because the ones that don't are too old. The retail versions never were able to activate on steam back then only the newer ones have had that built into it. They only register with steam if the retail key would normally register with steam normally.

Appreciate the info.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It seems ALOT of people on Amazon are complaining of invalid serial code errors when trying to get Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit to run.

It's only $5 in this sale but it would be nice to know if this has been looked into already.

Oh Jesus, I'm seriously reconsidering a purchase after some of those Amazon reviews.

Elginer

That's very worrying.

Alex

Oh Jesus, I'm seriously reconsidering a purchase after some of those Amazon reviews.

Any legitimate issues aside, I feel like it's worth commenting, for the sheer fun of it, that Amazon's user reviews for PC games are somehow FAR worse than the usually terrible console ones. I saw some eye-bleeding shit on there.

Every other review is like...

GAME WONT LOAD DO NOT BUY!!!!! (no other information or details)

AMAZON WONT MAIL ME DISCS

GAME REQUIRE STEAM! STEAM = VIRUS!

WHY WONT MY 11 YEAR OLD LAPTOP WONT RUN CRYSIS 2

IT DOESNT PLAY GUD WITH MOUAS AND KEBBERD 1/5!!!(on console ports and shit like Darksiders)

Warlock is a lot of fun. Be warned its very similar to Civ 5. The diplomacy is worse, but the different species and lots of different units and spells make up for it.

So happy that Binary Domain is currently the best selling PC game over at Amazon right now. I wonder if Sega anticipated it to sell so well during the sale.

I can tell you that our team internally was pleasantly surprised and that it CRUSHED my forecast. I hope you are all telling your friends that this is a $10 must have, I'd love to see it pick up and stay strong through the weekend :).

Not all of our games activate on Steam, we're working on getting Steam keys to distribute as an option for all our games but we didn't have time to get the ones for those games working in time for this promotion.

I searched the thread, and only one person asked this but never got an answer.

Any chance of Dead Island going on sale?

We received word back from Deep Silver on the promo, I'm not happy with the deal though so if we run it in its current state I won't be promoting it here, it will just run on the site.

When's the price change switch for Hot Pursuit and Bulletstorm EST time?

Roughly 3-4 AM EST.

That's very worrying.

Hey guys,

First and foremost This issue has been addressed and I can now confirm the game activates and plays fine.

Sorry I should have addressed this, it has been over a month since this fire drill so I forgot. We were issued a batch of bad keys at one point, we distributed less than 500 of them (within a few hours of the sale starting) before the CS alarms started going off, at which point we pulled the product down and contacted EA.

EA root caused the issue, which had something to do with the keys not being registered on a server somewhere, we purged all of our keys at the time and received new ones which we tested thoroughly before putting back up.

Hope this helps assuage your worry, Nelo, could you toss this in the OP next to Hot Pursuit?

^OP has been updated.

Thanks dude, you rock.

Thanks Tony. Will buy. Would also like to say that Disciples III installed perfectly with no problems as you said.

:) Glad you got sorted!

Cheers,
Tony

Also, here is Kwiston's review on Binary Domain:

Comments on the PC port - Overall, this game ran well on my PC. I have an older Phenom II X4 945, with a GTX560 and 8GB of RAM, but was able to get a solid 60FPS (with no drops that I noticed) at maxed settings. The graphics options are a little bare. You can set your FOV, choose FXAA or MLAA, and a few other options but that is about it. You can only change these options in the game's configuration tool, and cannot tweak anything in-game.

I started the game using KBM but hated the default keymapping and decided to switch to a 360 pad instead. If you are set on using KBM, you are going to want to change your mapping ASAP. I play PC games from my couch on my 37" TV. While the subtitles are nice and clear from the 8 foot distance I play from, the key prompts use a different font that is hard to read. What is more annoying is that, after switching to a 360 pad, the prompts still referred to KBM keys. I am not sure if this would have been different if I fiddled around in the configuration tool. Either way, it doesn't take long to figure out that Space = A, Q = Y and so on.

Comments on the Game - This is a game that you need to give a chance before deciding whether you like it or not. I don't know what portion of the game is covered by the demo, but if it is the beginning segment, know that chapter 1 is probably the weakest part of the game. In fact, I really disliked the first 30 minutes or so. The generic robot enemies seemed lame, and Big Bo wouldn't shut up. It initially struck me as a B version of Gears with worse voice acting and graphics. However things really pick up if you make it through those first few sections.

Positives:
- Boss battles with big ass robots. Miss boss fights in your shooters? This game has like 10 of them, including a few that are absolutely massive. The boss fights were by far the best part of this game. Furthermore all of them are unique and none are reused. How you take them out also depends on the boss. Some can be defeated using your regular weapons. Some require you to use the environment, and at least one is fought from the back of a moving truck during a chase sequence.

- The shooting. You carry 4 weapons in this game. Your main weapon which is an assault rifle, a side arm, and two open slots for a third gun and a grenade that you pick up from enemies as you go. Your main weapon is upgradable through in game item vending machines. All of the weapons fun to play with, but your main gun is especially satisfying. Once you make a few upgrades you will be tearing through enemies. You almost exclusively fight robots in this game, but you can blow off their limbs, head, and armor in satisfying sprays of sparks and shrapnel. This is a cover shooter, but the cover mechanism is mostly intuitive.

- Enemy AI. Like any shooter, regular grunt enemies will shoot from behind cover, come at you with body shields, or rush you with shotguns or melee attacks. However, since they are robots, they react to the damage you do to them. If you blow off their weapon arm, some will pick up their gun with their other hand, and others will switch to a secondary gun. If you blow off their legs, they will drag themselves towards you (like in Terminator 1), grabbing your legs in an effort to self destruct.

- The story and characters. If you like cheesy 80s/90s action movies, you will probably like this. Most of the characters are big stereotypes, but the game doesn't really take itself seriously so I didn't mind. If you ever wanted to lead an elite international squad of soldiers that include a gigantic black man (your main bro), a Chinese sniper, and a French Robot, this is your game. The plot itself is interesting enough, but like most games, the final execution could have been better. The dialogue is b-movie cheesy. One character justifies killing sentient, organic robots that are mostly non-violent, and have blended into society by saying that the world already has enough racism without adding robots to the mix.

Negatives:
- Your Squad AI. Your squad is dumb. While they can kill regular enemies fairly proficiently, expect them to crowd you at a cover point (even if there are 10 others) or run blindly into your line of fire. This is especially annoying since your teammates have a trust system, and shooting them lowers their trust score. I'm not sure if the trust score means anything, but it does unlock a few of the Steam achievements. I will mention that the game has a squad command feature that I made only light use of. It is designed around voice command using a mic (which I don't have). You can issue some basic commands from the pad (charge, regroup, cover me, and fire) but I didn't really use it much.

- Quick Time events. There are only a few, and they are pretty easy, but they were annoying because I couldn't read the key prompt (which was also for a keyboard instead of my 360 pad as mentioned above) from my couch at times.

- The game is linear. You spend most of it fighting in corridors and small rooms. There is a little exploration in some areas, but not much. If cut scenes bug you in action games, be warned that this game has a fair number of them. What's worse, the game will sometimes take control away from you (forcing you to walk slowly and stopping you from using your weapons) when a team member is giving you instructions before or after a gun fight. No reasons why the same thing couldn't have been done without the semi-loss of control. I thoroughly enjoyed the boss fights but most of them could only be beat in a specific way (sometimes using a specific weapon).

Final Verdict:
This is not the best or most polished shooter I have played this generation, but I definitely think it is worth $10. Especially if you are a big fan of boss fights and can stand (or better yet, like) B-movie stories. The game took me just under 9 hours to beat going by my chapter complete times. Even if you rushed through, this is a solid 7-8 hour game. Blowing away hordes of robots is surprisingly satisfying, and the game performs well on older, mid-range machines. The port was lazy when it comes to default key-mapping and button prompts, but those were minor nuisances. I am not a graphics person, so I can't tell you how the the textures look at higher resolutions. I didn't notice any screen tearing, or glaring graphical hitches like I did in the Mass Effect PC ports. To answer my own question, yes this is a more Japanese Gears of War, but that isn't a bad thing. Thumbs up for me.

Hot damn, I keep coming back and seeing the list get larger and larger in the OP. These sales are
tony_the_tiger.jpg

Fantastical

Death Prophet
We received word back from Deep Silver on the promo, I'm not happy with the deal though so if we run it in its current state I won't be promoting it here, it will just run on the site.
Well that's a bit disappointing. Thanks though.
Hey guys,

First and foremost This issue has been addressed and I can now confirm the game activates and plays fine.

Sorry I should have addressed this, it has been over a month since this fire drill so I forgot. We were issued a batch of bad keys at one point, we distributed less than 500 of them (within a few hours of the sale starting) before the CS alarms started going off, at which point we pulled the product down and contacted EA.

EA root caused the issue, which had something to do with the keys not being registered on a server somewhere, we purged all of our keys at the time and received new ones which we tested thoroughly before putting back up.

Hope this helps assuage your worry, Nelo, could you toss this in the OP next to Hot Pursuit?

Awesome. Definitely buying then.

Edgeward

I started the game using KBM but hated the default keymapping and decided to switch to a 360 pad instead. If you are set on using KBM, you are going to want to change your mapping ASAP. I play PC games from my couch on my 37" TV. While the subtitles are nice and clear from the 8 foot distance I play from, the key prompts use a different font that is hard to read. What is more annoying is that, after switching to a 360 pad, the prompts still referred to KBM keys. I am not sure if this would have been different if I fiddled around in the configuration tool. Either way, it doesn't take long to figure out that Space = A, Q = Y and so on.

This complaint was mine as well until I found out you had to change the button prompts in the config menu under the keyboard mapping tab. Just so people know.

RkOwnage

Already owned it on Xbox 360, but thought I'd pick up Borderlands GOTY to run on my new PC (somewhat new, new to Borderlands at least) Running max, no stutter, loving it!

Definitely gonna pick up Dead Space 2 for 5 as well!

gblues

Banned
Will the Plants vs Zombies GOTY that is going on sale on the 8th activate on Steam? (more out of curiosity, the sale is pretty much guaranteed ;)

Any possibility that Ghost Recon FS will be on sale anytime soon?

Not in July :(.

Is the Amalur DLC codes going to work with Steam Amalur?

I don't believe so.

Hey Tony, any chance of The Walking Dead game going on sale at all?

Not in July :(.

Will the Plants vs Zombies GOTY that is going on sale on the 8th activate on Steam? (more out of curiosity, the sale is pretty much guaranteed ;)

It won't activate on Steam and we might be pushing back the date, we're still getting the executable loaded into our system and I'm not confident it will get done tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

Danj

Just picked up Dead Space 2 and C&C4 for 5 bucks each. C&C4 is now downloading at home at ridiculous speed in Origin, seems like it'll be finished in about 10 minutes. Shame I'm at work really.

Top Bottom