• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Bentendo

There are a few games on NeoGAF that seem to be HEAVILY divided among people who love it and hate it. Alice is definitely one of them. I've found that there's not a hivemind on the site but it still seems more divided than usual.

But, you know, I'll try it out. It looks interesting and for that cheap I can't really go wrong. I also have some gift card balance so it's not like it'll do me any harm.

There are a few games on NeoGAF that seem to be HEAVILY divided among people who love it and hate it. Alice is definitely one of them. I've found that there's not a hivemind on the site but it still seems more divided than usual.

But, you know, I'll try it out. It looks interesting and for that cheap I can't really go wrong. I also have some gift card balance so it's not like it'll do me any harm.

Alice is well worth the price for the environments and art alone. Only real knock on it is some of the levels are really long and you just get burnt out... game is a solid 15+ hours which is quite long for a platformer, even 3d.

kaskade

Bought the Square Pack. I never played Underworld or Guardian of Light so it was worth it for the 7.50 for those 2 alone.

Deitus

Is it cruel and/or calloused of me to say that since Amalur's developer went under, the price is only going to go down from here, so I'm going to wait until it drops more to buy it?

And there is not really any developer to support anymore, just EA's wallet to fatten, so I don't feel obligated to give them any more of my money than I have to.

Tony,

I don't see this address yet so please forgive me for asking a question if its already been answered.

Will we ever be able to add pc downloads to our amazon cart or at least buy multiple pc downloads at once? There have been a few times where I wanted to buy 2 or more different pc dowloads but I didn't buy any of them because I didn't want to run 2 separate transactions right next to each other and possibly causing my credit card to get locked.

Yes, this is something we'd love too. Dev teams are working on it but changing ANYTHING with the order pipeline is very intense/sensitive as you can imagine.

The OP says Tomb Raider: Underworld (SE Ultimate Bundle) is not Steam. But it activates on Steam. I just did.

Weird, maybe they gave us Steam keys this time...

Bought the Square Pack. I never played Underworld or Guardian of Light so it was worth it for the 7.50 for those 2 alone.

Kaskade, can you try activating Tomb Raider Underworld on Steam and see if it works?

Cheers,
Tony

Nert

After not having played any shooters for quite a while now, I just bought Bulletstorm and Binary Domain. For $15, it seems like I should have a lot of fun. Great deals!

Is it cruel and/or calloused of me to say that since Amalur's developer went under, the price is only going to go down from here, so I'm going to wait until it drops more to buy it?

And there is not really any developer to support anymore, just EA's wallet to fatten, so I don't feel obligated to give them any more of my money than I have to.

I don't think that there's anything wrong with waiting for a product to cost less. It's up to you to decide how to use your money and it's not really your responsibility as a consumer to keep large companies afloat; if their products and marketing strategies can't make it in the marketplace, it's on them. I mean, if you really enjoy something, it's worth helping its word of mouth and getting your friends to try it, but that's about it.

It's also worth noting that these sale prices aren't bad for companies. I'm sure that Binary Domain is bringing in far more revenue this week than it has in the past two months.

Deitus

I don't think that there's anything wrong with waiting for a product to cost less. It's up to you to decide how to use your money and it's not really your responsibility as a consumer to keep large companies afloat; if their products and marketing strategies can't make it in the marketplace, it's on them. I mean, if you really enjoy something, it's worth helping its word of mouth and getting your friends to try it, but that's about it.

It's also worth noting that these sale prices aren't bad for companies. I'm sure that Binary Domain is bringing in far more revenue this week than it has in the past two months.

Oh yeah, I have no problem waiting for sales. That is after all the reason I didn't get the game in the first place. It's more that when the game now has a decent sale, my first thought is "well they went out of business so I'll wait for a better sale." I dunno, it just gave me a pang of conscience that people are out of their jobs and the state of Rhode island is in serious financial trouble as a result of the whole debacle, and I'm sitting here saying "yes, lower prices!" But you are right, it's not my fault, or my problem if they cannot support themselves on their business model.

And yes, sales are definitely good for the companies in many respects. But waiting 6 months to buy a game sadly does do damage to developers (not publishers) in this environment where the first month of sales seems to be the only thing publishers care about. Publishers are all too quick to call a franchise dead when sales expectations are not met in a month. This is why I'm perfectly willing to buy a game day one, and at full price, if I am really truly interested in the game. But if I am on the fence, sorry to say, but its not my problem that your business model sucks and doesn't account for people who don't want to pay $60 for a game they are unsure of.

Edit-
I was checking out some videos of Binary Domain, it looks a lot to Vanquish to me, does it play anything like it?

It actually plays more like Gears of War, except you can shoot of limbs to incapacitate the enemy. Though aesthetically, I agree it is very reminiscent of Vanquish.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was checking out some videos of Binary Domain, it looks a lot to Vanquish to me, does it play anything like it?

I think if you like Vanquish, you will probably like Binary Domain, but they're not too similar, aside from the fact that you kick a lot of robot ass in both games. Binary Domain is much more of a traditional third-person cover shooter, while Vanquish is more of an action game/shooter hybrid. Vanquish is way faster and much more over the top.

Mechanically, Binary Domain plays like a faster paced Gears of War. There is only one unique mechanic that I've run into, removing the head of the robots causes them to fight on your side until they die. It's definitely solid and I'm having fun with it.

Hey guys,

I've gotten a couple of questions about why you might be asked to re-enter your credit card, and then why it might take a bit longer to process.

This is a function of our customer protection system that algorithmically checks for purchase patters that are atypical to your account. This is basically in place to make sure you don't walk away from your computer and have your child/little brother buy EVERY GAME ON AMAZON with your credit card.

These are usually resolved in under an hour but can sometimes take 4ish.

Hope this clears up confusion.

Cheers,
Tony

Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 acquired. Thanks amazon.

Interesting hearing about the Underworld situation...

yea, i bought the square bundle the first time it came out and for sure underworld didn't validate on steam

I'm in the same boat.

Nor did I think it would. The only thing I can think of is that, in the last batch that we ordered most recently they gave us Steam keys...I'll follow up but this was not intended.

Not unwelcome either but just not intended.

Cheers,
Tony

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Spec Ops actually has some fairly original, neat ideas after a fake-out "this is Gears of War in Dubai" opening hour or two. Definitely worth $25 if you're sitting on the fence.

I can tell you that our team internally was pleasantly surprised and that it CRUSHED my forecast. I hope you are all telling your friends that this is a $10 must have, I'd love to see it pick up and stay strong through the weekend :).

Not all of our games activate on Steam, we're working on getting Steam keys to distribute as an option for all our games but we didn't have time to get the ones for those games working in time for this promotion.

We received word back from Deep Silver on the promo, I'm not happy with the deal though so if we run it in its current state I won't be promoting it here, it will just run on the site.

Roughly 3-4 AM EST.

Hey guys,

First and foremost This issue has been addressed and I can now confirm the game activates and plays fine.

Sorry I should have addressed this, it has been over a month since this fire drill so I forgot. We were issued a batch of bad keys at one point, we distributed less than 500 of them (within a few hours of the sale starting) before the CS alarms started going off, at which point we pulled the product down and contacted EA.

EA root caused the issue, which had something to do with the keys not being registered on a server somewhere, we purged all of our keys at the time and received new ones which we tested thoroughly before putting back up.

Hope this helps assuage your worry, Nelo, could you toss this in the OP next to Hot Pursuit?

Ah, you're working to have things redeem on steam that normally wouldn't (like aren't a part of retail keys redeeming on steam?). That's pretty cool then, I still enjoy amazon more when you have the DRM free stuff instead of steam. So much more convenient.

Hey guys,

I've gotten a couple of questions about why you might be asked to re-enter your credit card, and then why it might take a bit longer to process.

This is a function of our customer protection system that algorithmically checks for purchase patters that are atypical to your account. This is basically in place to make sure you don't walk away from your computer and have your child/little brother buy EVERY GAME ON AMAZON with your credit card.

These are usually resolved in under an hour but can sometimes take 4ish.

Hope this clears up confusion.

Cheers,
Tony

Ah, makes sense. I went from buying nothing to buying a lot, so I like this protection system. :D

Mine has been longer than 4 hours, but I guess i will wait a bit longer.

Like a huge monument a molten lava? :p

Teehee Minecraft joke.

ha. That was funny. XD

I havent been in the server in awhile, sorry. :(

Lots and lots of games bought :p

Blame Tony! :D

Hey Nelo, can you update the OP to say NHL 09 for PC is on sale for $4.99? I think tony missed it when he was making the list, it's on sale now with the other stuff from EA so you don't have to wait until the 8th or 9th like originally planned.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Tempted to get Fifa12 for cheap to mess around with.

Is the PC version good ? I remember Fifa on pc used to be crappy compared to the console versions, but got better with the last releases. Also there's the need to install Origin, if it's even redeemable with a non-US account.

Hmm decisions decisions.

Even though the BD review from kwiston wasn't that glowing, I just bought it and will play it when it's finished downloading.

#YOLO

Really nothing else I want from this sale though. I feel like you're lacking in the "smaller/indie games" section a bit. Like QUBE, Dustforce, Dear Esther. Something more like that

Daante

I havent bought anything (yet), but i just want to say that i think its incredible seeing a retailer communicate with their customers at this level that Tony is doing.

Bravo!!

Even though the BD review from kwiston wasn't that glowing, I just bought it and will play it when it's finished downloading.

#YOLO

Really nothing else I want from this sale though. I feel like you're lacking in the "smaller/indie games" section a bit. Like QUBE, Dustforce, Dear Esther. Something more like that

He gave it 4 stars on Amazon and it seemed like he enjoyed it...enough to buy a second copy and gift it as a pay it forward type thing.

EDIT I agree on your comment about indie games selection. We are aggressively trying to get more of it. The issue is one of scale. Generally when we reach out to indies and say "hey do you want to sell your game on Amazon?" they say "YESTHATWOULDBEAWESOME!" the problem has been getting in front of them in scale.

One of the big value adds that we bring to indie guys is the ability to get your game up for sale quickly. We don't vett for "how good the game is" only that it works, we let customers decide what is good and what isn't. We've talked to a bunch of devs who just couldn't get their game up for sale on Steam and are psyched to get it up with Amazon.

Any thoughts on where to go to talk to LOTS of indie devs all at once would be awesome, we'd love to sell all their games on Amazon.

Cheers,
Tony

Nelo Ice

Banned
He gave it 4 stars on Amazon and it seemed like he enjoyed it...enough to buy a second copy and gift it as a pay it forward type thing.

EDIT I agree on your comment about indie games selection. We are aggressively trying to get more of it. The issue is one of scale. Generally when we reach out to indies and say "hey do you want to sell your game on Amazon?" they say "YESTHATWOULDBEAWESOME!" the problem has been getting in front of them in scale.

One of the big value adds that we bring to indie guys is the ability to get your game up for sale quickly. We don't vett for "how good the game is" only that it works, we let customers decide what is good and what isn't. We've talked to a bunch of devs who just couldn't get their game up for sale on Steam and are psyched to get it up with Amazon.

Any thoughts on where to go to talk to LOTS of indie devs all at once would be awesome, we'd love to sell all their games on Amazon.

Cheers,
Tony
There's a indy devs on all over gaf and heres the indie game dev topic. Theres a ton of devs in the iOS gaming thread as well. I'm sure most of them know where devs congregate.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445986

Also off the top of my head Chubigans got his game rejected by Steam 3 times.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399219

When you try to buy NHL it says Unavailable :(
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047T7JKO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bah, didn't notice that. :( Maybe Tony can explain what's going on. I was just looking around and noticed the price changed from $9.99 it was the other day to $4.99 which is the sale price.

Does anyone know if Madden 08 or whatever has the newer right stick controls? I can't remember if they killed it off before or after updating the old as hell controls. I think I remember it was before they updated the pc for the newer controls but I'm not sure.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Does anyone know if Madden 08 or whatever has the newer right stick controls? I can't remember if they killed it off before or after updating the old as hell controls. I think I remember it was before they updated the pc for the newer controls but I'm not sure.

It has the hit stick, if that's what you meant.

Top Bottom