• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Has the deal on Fall of the Samurai expired already? It says $14.99 now instead of $7.49. I thought the deal was supposed to last from 4th until the 14th? :/

There were some SEGA deals that expired today. From now on those are -50% instead of -75% and some packs are gone I think.

But it is, for the 50% discount. The 75% discount was only for a few days, just like MP3 going from 50% to 33% off.

YA this was my bad, I noted it in the thread yesterday. I got my wires crossed with Sega and thought FOTS was supposed to be 75% off the whole time with binary domain and virtua tennis. Instead it was supposed to revert to the 50% off today.

Sorry about the confusion.

Cheers,
Tony

Responding from mobile. Sorry for typos.

scitek

It doesn't like ATI cards, which is why I didn't pick it up that bundle. Looks to be an awesome game but shit support since the dev went under and it was broken on ATI cards out the game. :(

It worked fine with my Radeon 6950 when I had it. The problems were only with 5000 series cards and earlier, I'm pretty sure. It's just unoptimized and runs like ass regardless of your setup. There's also a glitch that prevents the map from scaling properly in any resolution higher than 1280xanything.

So wait, Tomb Raider Underworld may or may not be Steam now? I was about to buy the bundle, but it really depends if that game is Steam or not.

Elginer

It worked fine with my Radeon 6950 when I had it. The problems were only with 5000 series cards and earlier, I'm pretty sure. It's just unoptimized and runs like ass regardless of your setup. There's also a glitch that prevents the map from scaling properly in any resolution higher than 1280xanything.

4000 series to, which is what I have. :(

K' Dash

Here's the only patch they ever released. It has mixed results from what I hear but give it a shot.
Also if you have a quadcore manually make the game use only 2 cores as that seems to help as well.

Yeah, disabling 2 cores seems to fix the problem, I installed the patch and fucked it up again, didn't know where the hell the wizard installed it and uninstalled the game, I'll download it again some day and play it that way...

Sucks that there wasn't a disclaimer, I bought the pack mostly for this game :(

Koroviev

Anyone get Red Alert 3 from Amazon? I'm a sucker for anything with a Soviet theme, but that it was review-bombed on Amazon has me a little concerned.

Also, how does the game run? My PC exceeds the recommended requirements by a wide margin.

Impressions are welcome, as I've never played a C&C game before.

Unicorn

I see Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for 5$ on Amazon. Does it activate on Steam? I'm sure Steam will have it on sale too, as not too long ago it was 5$ there too.

Perhaps it will be cheaper on Steam if/when they do their summer sale?

Elginer

Anyone get Red Alert 3 from Amazon? I'm a sucker for anything with a Soviet theme, but that it was review-bombed on Amazon has me a little concerned.

Also, how does the game run? My PC exceeds the recommended requirements by a wide margin.

Own it on 360 and it's a fun ass C&C game jam packed of shitty live action cutscenes which for me makes it even better. Not a bad game at all for 5 bucks. Not sure about the PC ports performance though.

Koroviev

Own it on 360 and it's a fun ass C&C game jam packed of shitty live action cutscenes which for me makes it even better. Not a bad game at all for 5 bucks. Not sure about the PC ports performance though.

Yeah, the game looks pretty fun. I'm just concerned about the PC performance and SecuROM :(

Grabbed Bulletstorm for $5 - totally worth it, but man I always forget how big of a pile of shit the Games for Windows Live software is. I have been amply reminded.

gdt

I see Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for 5$ on Amazon. Does it activate on Steam? I'm sure Steam will have it on sale too, as not too long ago it was 5$ there too.

Perhaps it will be cheaper on Steam if/when they do their summer sale?

EA=NEVER EVER steamworks. NEVER.

It will probably be on sale during the steam sale.

hygea

Neo Member
I only bought bought the expansion from Amazon, but on Steam it tells me I own the vanilla game

wA4mMh.png

As well as the expansion

Same here, havent installed it yet tho...

I played it a few years ago and enjoyed it. Cutscenes are great, especially if you like Tim Curry. Performance should be fine, I played it at 1440 with full settings on a 4850.

hygea

Neo Member

Well the engine it uses gives a max of 30 fps which feels kinda slugish imo, but if you've never played a C&C game i suppose its fairly good, even though i prefer the old ones, and especially RA2 alot more and it doesnt look that bad if u run it 1920x1080 with .ini-file changes.

Koroviev

Well the engine it uses gives a max of 30 fps which feels kinda slugish imo, but if you've never played a C&C game i suppose its fairly good, even though i prefer the old ones, and especially RA2 alot more and it doesnt look that bad if u run it 1920x1080 with .ini-file changes.

Is it a locked 30 fps? It's not ideal, but also not the end of the world. Any way to unlock it to 60?

Anyone know about the SecuROM side of it? If it's a real nightmare, then I'd rather just get it through Steam.

Elginer

Is Just Cause 2 in that Square bundle Steam? Wanted to know as I already have it and could trade the code away with someone else for another game.

hygea

Neo Member
Is it a locked 30 fps? It's not ideal, but also not the end of the world. Any way to unlock it to 60?

Anyone know about the SecuROM side of it? If it's a real nightmare, then I'd rather just get it through Steam.

Nope, the FPS is locked in the engine so cant do nothing. I think it controls the gamespeed aswell so even if you wanted to increase it it would mess upp the game.

Well RA3 activates on Origin so you can just have it there, havent had any problem with it.

Koroviev

Nope, the FPS is locked in the engine so cant do nothing. I think it controls the gamespeed aswell so even if you wanted to increase it it would mess upp the game.

Well RA3 activates on Origin so you can just have it there, havent had any problem with it.

Definitely tempted. Is it a good game for someone largely unfamiliar with the RTS genre? I have a few RTS games (Shogun 2, Civ V, Crusader Kings II, etc.) that I'm trying to learn from, but the tutorials take hours :(

Can't stand Origin, but I was already roped into it with DA:O (i.e. install repeatedly failed without it, despite supposedly not requiring it) :\

gdt

Definitely tempted. Is it a good game for someone largely unfamiliar with the RTS genre? I have a few RTS games (Shogun 2, Civ V, Crusader Kings II, etc.) that I'm trying to learn from, but the tutorials take hours :(

Can't stand Origin, but I was already roped into it with DA:O (i.e. install repeatedly failed without it, despite supposedly not requiring it) :\

None of those are RTS lol.

And Civ V is so easy to jump into its ridiculous.

hygea

Neo Member

For 5 bucks try i out imo. The standalone expansion RA:Uprising contains expanded singleplayer but no mp, so try out RA3 first

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably then. I am not in the US so i just picked one without tax anyway to be on the safe side.

I hadn't even considered tax until I saw the suggestion of using a non-sales tax state mentioned yonks ago (here in Australia it's exceedingly rare to see a product price tag without the GST pre-applied), but afterwards I began noticing that none of my purchases were being slapped with tax despite using a CA-based address. In any case, as long as you don't click hastily, the application of tax is easily checked before confirming a purchase.

Koroviev

For 5 bucks try i out imo. The standalone expansion RA:Uprising contains expanded singleplayer but no mp, so try out RA3 first

Oh, that's another thing: how is the single-player content? I don't think I'm going to have anyone to play co-op with.

hygea

Neo Member
Oh, that's another thing: how is the single-player content? I don't think I'm going to have anyone to play co-op with.

Well the multiplayer is like any other RTS , no need for co-op really eventho it can be more fun. But the singleplayer is like RTS games are. Its solid with lots of mission and entertaining cutscenes (like most C&C games). Good game, wish it could be 60FPS but doesnt really bother that much. I'm just picky :)

Koroviev

Well the multiplayer is like any other RTS , no need for co-op really eventho it can be more fun. But the singleplayer is like RTS games are. Its solid with lots of mission and entertaining cutscenes (like most C&C games). Good game, wish it could be 60FPS but doesnt really bother that much. I'm just picky :)

Okay, thanks for the info! :)

Reikon

JaseC said:
I think the application of tax is IP-based, as I've never been charged any despite using the address of Google's HQ.

Er, nope. It's based on the shipping address for physical goods and I assume billing address for digital.

Not to mention, Google is in CA, which isn't (currently) taxed by Amazon. Even when Amazon does tax CA, CA doesn't seem to have tax on digital goods.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Er, nope. It's based on the shipping address for physical goods and I assume billing address for digital.

Not to mention, Google is in CA, which isn't (currently) taxed by Amazon. Even when Amazon does tax CA, CA doesn't seem to have tax on digital goods.

Ah, that would explain it. Bloody US and its oddball tax system. :p

You didnt misread this was an error on my part that I didn't catch until yesterday. You might have missed my update in the thread.

Cheers,
Tony

Responding from mobile sorry for typos.

Thanks for your reply Tony, I missed the update indeed. Unlucky, was about to buy two keys today for my friend and I. Is there any chance the price will go back to $7.49 at some point this summer?

Thanks for your reply Tony, I missed the update indeed. Unlucky, was about to buy two keys today for my friend and I. Is there any chance the price will go back to $7.49 at some point this summer?

Possibly, if not through us then likely with Steam (and we'll probably match) so you'll have the option of going with either store.

I'll let you know early if we plan anything else though.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony, unfortunately I'm going to have to ask you to sell your sell to get Steam keys for Sniper Elite V2. I didn't want it to come to this. Sorry :(

Top Bottom