• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Bulzeeb

Hey guys,

My boss bet me that I couldn't sell 5,000 copies of any bundle of casual games in 2 months.

I think he's wrong.

How much do you think this bundle is worth? Vote on it and we'll set the price at the majority vote.

If the answer is "there is no price on earth that would make me want those games, and I wouldn't install them if you paid me to" then that's fine too. I'll be running this poll in a few different communities.

Cheers,
Tony

1 USD and i wouldn't install them, I'll be gifting the games to some aunts and casual relatives of mine

1 USD and i wouldn't install them, I'll be gifting the games to some aunts and casual relatives of mine

Yeah 1 USD cause you're awesome. Don't worry about server bandwith tho lol, won't need any downloads.

Lol I think we'll probably run it at $5 and I'll promote it in places not Neogaf/Reddit.

Based on the feedback I'm also now going to hunt through the other Casual Games we've got and look for a different composition.

Thanks for the feedback guys, obviously Casual games aren't really my thing so it seems like my first run at a Casual games bundle would have been a flop without the feedback :).

Cheers,
Tony

tenz0r

Did they add anything extra to Binary Domain on the PC from the console versions? I already played through it on 360, but I am tempted to double dip to play on my PC.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Lol I think we'll probably run it at $5 and I'll promote it in places not Neogaf/Reddit.

Based on the feedback I'm also now going to hunt through the other Casual Games we've got and look for a different composition.

Thanks for the feedback guys, obviously Casual games aren't really my thing so it seems like my first run at a Casual games bundle would have been a flop without the feedback :).

Cheers,
Tony

If you guys were running a sale on awful junk bin games that could be activated on Steam I'd probably pick them up, just for the sake of inflating my game count. Just sayin'.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So there is no problem activating Origin games bought from amazon.com in other countries right ? Never used Origin.

Tempted to get FIFA 12 to mess around with.

RetroGreg

Hey guys,

My boss bet me that I couldn't sell 5,000 copies of any bundle of casual games in 2 months.

I think he's wrong.

How much do you think this bundle is worth? Vote on it and we'll set the price at the majority vote.

If the answer is "there is no price on earth that would make me want those games, and I wouldn't install them if you paid me to" then that's fine too. I'll be running this poll in a few different communities.

Cheers,
Tony

Tony, I've played some bad games but I wouldn't touch those even with your........PC.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Cheers,
Tony

$5 sounds about right for that bundle.

Tony, I've played some bad games but I wouldn't touch those even with your........PC.

They need to get a nice bundle with 20 games on the cheap. So close to 200!

$5 sounds about right for that bundle.

I would too Tony. Most of GAF doesn't play their games, they just look at the number of them in their steam account.

Roger that. One of the things I think was most valuable about all of the feedback was the amount of data I've gathered about what to put in a casual games bundle.

It sounds like 20 games is about right but we need to get at least 1 or 2 well known games in there.

I THOUGHT Airport Mania fit that bill for this guy, because it has a ton of pretty good reviews, back to the drawing board!

Cheers,
Tony

Megasoum

Banned
I THOUGHT Airport Mania fit that bill for this guy, because it has a ton of pretty good reviews, back to the drawing board!

Cheers,
Tony

I'll be honest, I love tycoon type games and and I don't think I've heard about any of those games before hehe.

Oh god, now I have flashbacks of the late 90s/early 00s with the hundreds of terrible tycoon games lol.

I'll be honest, I love tycoon type games and and I don't think I've heard about any of those games before hehe.

Oh god, now I have flashbacks of the late 90s/early 00s with the hundreds of terrible tycoon games lol.

Lol, at least this idea made for good discussion and reminiscing.

Cheers,
Tony

I wonder if Steam will have Alice and Hot Pursuit for the same price Amazon has them right now. I really don't want to put any games on Origin that I don't have to. I already double dipped on Dead Space 2 because I can't stand Origin. :(

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I wonder if Steam will have Alice and Hot Pursuit for the same price Amazon has them right now. I really don't want to put any games on Origin that I don't have to. I already double dipped on Dead Space 2 because I can't stand Origin. :(

I don't really get it. What's so bad about it?

Nelo Ice

Banned

Alice and Hot Pursuit don't require Origin. You can download it directly off Amazon or use origin to DL/install the game. Either way you can launch em through steam without running Origin.

Cheers,
Tony

Throw Faerie Solitaire Or Fairway Solitairie in there. Or anything by Pop cap.

Those would be way more popular.

BioHazard

Hey guys,

I think he's wrong.

Cheers,
Tony

$20ish and I'm there
get me some a dat panda craze and cinema tycoon

gdt

Tony, any luck with getting some more Indie games/devs on board? I think thats a really good place for you/your team to expand to.

AlexBasch

Just grabbed Space Marine, after several sales it was right to go ahead and pick it up already. Binary Domain will have to wait. :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've just registered here, and wanted to say thanks to Tony for everything he did. I read all the 53 pages on this thread, and seen that many times he went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the people here is satisfied. That is something extremely rare these days, and Amazon should be proud of having him in their team. So keep on with that great work, I'm sure it'll have brought excellent results after the sale is over.

Now about the games, there are a couple of bundles that pick my interest, but I'm trying to be selective instead of buying everything I'd like to. Right now I've only grabbed a copy of Max Payne 3, and I'm seriously thinking about getting Binary Domain. After playing the demo I was left with a bittersweet taste though, that of a nice game with horrible, horrible controls. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions to anyone who has played the full version: Is it really worth the $10? Can you get used to the bad controls? (I'm talking specifically about the weird mouse acceleration, and binding of multiple actions to the same keys). Is the multiplayer any good, and is it easy to find someone to play with?

Oh, and I'm really on the fence about the 2K Shooter Pack. I've only played DNF (sans the DLC), and contrary to popular opinion, liked it pretty much. From what I understand, the Bioshocks are great games, worth having in any game collection, but I'm not so sure about Borderlands. I'm not too keen on RPG's, so does it feel like one? Or is it kinda like Mass Effect, a mix of shooter and RPG? Because if it's the latter, I could give it a chance.

Sagitario

Kingdoms of Amalur sounds tempting, but my backlog is big enough as it is.

Will get until it gets cheaper, I don't mind waiting.

nickelpat

Neo Member
Oh, and I'm really on the fence about the 2K Shooter Pack. I've only played DNF (sans the DLC), and contrary to popular opinion, liked it pretty much. From what I understand, the Bioshocks are great games, worth having in any game collection, but I'm not so sure about Borderlands. I'm not too keen on RPG's, so does it feel like one? Or is it kinda like Mass Effect, a mix of shooter and RPG? Because if it's the latter, I could give it a chance.

I can't commend on BD since I'm in the same zone as you, enjoyed the demo but I'm afraid the game may break my space bar.

As for Borderlands, I just picked it up this sale and I must say it feels much more like a shooter than an RPG. It is an RPG, don't get me wrong, there are experience points, levels, skills (really more of boosts, there's only one active skill per character that I know of, and it's bound to F), loot (guns, grenades, shields, ammo and health), and quests. The guns do determine damage output, but at it's core, it is still a shooter. A headshot still crits, if you miss, you miss. I would definitely put it into the "Shooter with RPG elements" category and not the "RPG with shooter-ish combat" category.

Also:

I bought Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and I found that when I redeemed it on Steam, I got the full, vanilla Shogun 2 WITH Fall of the Samurai (And the included Battle Pack, that apparently comes with FotS). FotS is a stand-alone pack, so I definitely wasn't expecting the full game and the expansion for that price (they're both $30 separately, great to get them for $7.50). When I go to the Shogun 2 store page on Steam, it tells me I own the game and cannot but it again, same goes for the FotS page, so I can only conclude that the code did give me both games. Has anyone else had this happen?

$20ish and I'm there
get me some a dat panda craze and cinema tycoon

Lol I think we'll stick with 5!

Tony, any luck with getting some more Indie games/devs on board? I think thats a really good place for you/your team to expand to.

I agree, we actually just heard back from the Oil Blue guy from the indie thread here on 'Gaf, the team sent him over our contract today! Hopefully we can get him up and running soon.

Any word back on Sniper Elite V2, Tony?

Negative, will let you know when I hear!

Tony, if I may ask, what is the Borderlands tattoo of? The symbol?

Should be of Lilith if you ask me. Preeeetty damn symbolic. :p

I'll let the community decide (within reason I'm not getting a mural on my back) Claptrap is the current favorite. I'd do a Charlie's Angels style Lilith outline though

I've just registered here, and wanted to say thanks to Tony for everything he did. I read all the 53 pages on this thread, and seen that many times he went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the people here is satisfied. That is something extremely rare these days, and Amazon should be proud of having him in their team. So keep on with that great work, I'm sure it'll have brought excellent results after the sale is over.

Now about the games, there are a couple of bundles that pick my interest, but I'm trying to be selective instead of buying everything I'd like to. Right now I've only grabbed a copy of Max Payne 3, and I'm seriously thinking about getting Binary Domain. After playing the demo I was left with a bittersweet taste though, that of a nice game with horrible, horrible controls. So I'd like to ask a couple of questions to anyone who has played the full version: Is it really worth the $10? Can you get used to the bad controls? (I'm talking specifically about the weird mouse acceleration, and binding of multiple actions to the same keys). Is the multiplayer any good, and is it easy to find someone to play with?

Thanks for the kind words man, I'm really digging how welcoming this thread has been.

From my perspective Borderlands is definitely an RPG/Shooter blend, although I think it is more akin to a first person Diablo with guns than Mass Effect.

I played a couple of hours of BD today and I can agree with the mouse sensitivity complaints, for me the good is outweighing the bad though. Between the two, if you have friends to play with, I'd got with Borderlands GOTY, lots of content. If you're looking to play solo or with random people, BD is prob more your speed.

If Borderlands sounds like something you'd like then the shooter pack is probably best for you.

Cheers,
Tony

What is wrong with me?

I have like 10 new games including Max Payne 3, Binary Domain, and both Dragon Ages...and I CAN'T STOP PLAYING LEAGUE OF LEGENDS!!

:( :(

Cheers,
Tony

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can't commend on BD since I'm in the same zone as you, enjoyed the demo but I'm afraid the game may break my space bar.

As for Borderlands, I just picked it up this sale and I must say it feels much more like a shooter than an RPG. It is an RPG, don't get me wrong, there are experience points, levels, skills (really more of boosts, there's only one active skill per character that I know of, and it's bound to F), loot (guns, grenades, shields, ammo and health), and quests. The guns do determine damage output, but at it's core, it is still a shooter. A headshot still crits, if you miss, you miss. I would definitely put it into the "Shooter with RPG elements" category and not the "RPG with shooter-ish combat" category.
Thanks for your answer, that definitely put Borderlands into the "potential buy" category, so maybe I'll get the bundle after all. One last question: are there people currently playing it online? None of my friends have the game, and it would be a shame to only play the single player portion of it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the kind words man, I'm really digging how welcoming this thread has been.

From my perspective Borderlands is definitely an RPG/Shooter blend, although I think it is more akin to a first person Diablo with guns than Mass Effect.

I played a couple of hours of BD today and I can agree with the mouse sensitivity complaints, for me the good is outweighing the bad though. Between the two, if you have friends to play with, I'd got with Borderlands GOTY, lots of content. If you're looking to play solo or with random people, BD is prob more your speed.

If Borderlands sounds like something you'd like then the shooter pack is probably best for you.

Cheers,
Tony
And this answers my last question. BD then, as none of my friends have either game (and sadly I don't think they'll be buying any of them). Who knows, maybe I'll also get the Shooter Pack, as a self birthday present ;)

Sober

I bought Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and I found that when I redeemed it on Steam, I got the full, vanilla Shogun 2 WITH Fall of the Samurai (And the included Battle Pack, that apparently comes with FotS). FotS is a stand-alone pack, so I definitely wasn't expecting the full game and the expansion for that price (they're both $30 separately, great to get them for $7.50). When I go to the Shogun 2 store page on Steam, it tells me I own the game and cannot but it again, same goes for the FotS page, so I can only conclude that the code did give me both games. Has anyone else had this happen?

It shows up as DLC for me under TW:S2 instead of it's own entry. I also seem to only have to download the FotS data even though S2 isn't installed at this moment. Not sure if you have to download all of S2's data (since I assume they reuse the map). If you can't get into vanilla S2 then it probably works as a standalone in the sense that it's DLC from the base game but you can't play the base game.

Katoki

Anyone know if you get bigger bags in Borderlands? It's realistic and all with the carry limit but makes me go back to a vendor too often.

She's not pretty yet but here she is:

www.amazon.com/dp/B008I6NTVK

This will be $14.99 starting tomorrow (Sunday 7/8). Plus, when you purchase it you'll get $5 off any of our 3 THQ pre-orders (Darksiders II, Metro Last Light, or Southpark). This should bring the price of whatever you pre-order down to $39.99.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for your answer, that definitely put Borderlands into the "potential buy" category, so maybe I'll get the bundle after all. One last question: are there people currently playing it online? None of my friends have the game, and it would be a shame to only play the single player portion of it.

I suggest for every potential buyer of Borderlands to:
1. Get all the DLCs.
2. Get a four pack and play with 4 people using voice chat (not the in-game one if possible)
3. Read PC Gaming Wiki before playing like all other games.

That way you can maximize the fun.

Top Bottom