• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Bentendo

How is Red Faction: Armageddon? Is it better than the previous game in the series (note: I've never played any of them)? I really want a destruction-based game and that THQ bundle looks tempting since I don't have any of those games yet.

Megasoum

Banned
How is Red Faction: Armageddon? Is it better than the previous game in the series (note: I've never played any of them)? I really want a destruction-based game and that THQ bundle looks tempting since I don't have any of those games yet.

If you want destruction Guerilla is much better. Armageddon is a linear 3rd person shooter.

Guerilla is an open world game with ton of destruction. Not necessarly super fun (any of them) but Armageddon is definitly the worst of the two.

Detox

Possibly, if not through us then likely with Steam (and we'll probably match) so you'll have the option of going with either store.

I'll let you know early if we plan anything else though.

Cheers,
Tony
Is the current plan to match Steam's price in the summer sale and is that just for the discounts for the whole sale period or will it include daily deals?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's an old school corridor shooter with some real time destruction elements and well done particle effects. I think the shooting itself is better but that question is really going to depend on how much you enjoyed the sandbox element of the predecessor.

Personally, I enjoyed them both.

That and the name of 3 or 4 of your "first" child lol.

I'm thinking of starting to auction off naming rights for the next generation at this point.

Is the current plan to match Steam's price in the summer sale and is that just for the discounts for the whole sale period or will it include daily deals?

We generally match Steam's sales yes, we take it on a case by case basis. There might some instances where we go deeper as well. It depends on what we've been promoting already.

Stay tuned, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Cheers,
Tony

I am all for pre ordering Borderlands 2 through Amazon, but I want the digital copy and to make sure I can activate it on Steam. Will the digital download BL2 pre orders have this option when it goes live?

Thanks

Megasoum

Banned
I am all for pre ordering Borderlands 2 through Amazon, but I want the digital copy and to make sure I can activate it on Steam. Will the digital download BL2 pre orders have this option when it goes live?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that Borderlands 2 will be a steamworks games so yes they will have to go through Steam.

I'm pretty sure that Borderlands 2 will be a steamworks games so yes they will have to go through Steam.

Cool. I was assuming so but I don't want to get into some preoder clusterfuck and end up with three copies of the game because I get impatient and want to play it on Steam day of release.

Hey Tony, did you ever get a response yet about what's going on with NHL 09 for pc? Still comes up as currently unavailable and I didn't see you post an update unless I missed the post? Thanks.

And I still can't decide on Binary Domain yet... I'm so tempted at $10 plus I still have a soft spot for sega but I have so much I'm playing already that I doubt I would get to it in any way. :(

Megasoum

Banned
Cool. I was assuming so but I don't want to get into some preoder clusterfuck and end up with three copies of the game because I get impatient and want to play it on Steam day of release.

Well Tony might be able to clarify the whole thing but they confirmed in an article today that they will support Achievement and Cloud save (among a bunch of other things) on PC so I don't really see how they could do it without steam.

Quote stolen from the Borderlands 2 quote (which comes from a VG274 article)

“With both BL1 and BL2, the PC version is the best looking, highest fidelity version of the game, but what we’ve learned, is that the details are important to you on the PC and we made a strong effort to improve those details in the product.”

The efforts made to create a better PC game, which Claptrap outlined, are as follows:

100% mouse usable menus/mouse wheel scrolling.
Achievement support
Cloud save support
Control pad support
FOV slider
Friends list support
Integrated V-sync option
LAN support (including offline mode)
Logitech keyboard support
Mouse smoothing options (can be disabled completely)
Native multiplayer matchmaking
No port forwarding required
PC-specific UI
Push to talk
Remappable keybindings for keyboard/mouse
Support for higher resolutions

“It’s a miracle we did what we did with Borderlands 1 – it’s a big risk to build a new IP, Pitchford continued. “We spent every dollar we had on that game, and while we had a nice budget, it still had us confined to being rational and responsible of what is expected to happen.

“Fortunately BL1 was a tremendous success, millions and millions of units sold. We’re at 6 million units sold right now, and that is exciting for a new IP -its unprecedented really.

“That means, we were able to put the budget into BL2 that it deserves – a budget I wish we’d had for the first game – and as such we can up some of our priorities.”

Borderlands 2 releases on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in September.

Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ALUBYQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Well Tony might be able to clarify the whole thing but they confirmed in an article today that they will support Achievement and Cloud save (among a bunch of other things) on PC so I don't really see how they could do it without steam.

Quote stolen from the Borderlands 2 quote (which comes from a VG274 article)

Borderlands 2 is Steamworks, so the only place you'll be able to activate and play it is Steam.

We just have our pre-order page up earlier than they do :).

Here it is:

So yes, if you preorer through us you will be able to play on Steam.

Hey Tony, did you ever get a response yet about what's going on with NHL 09 for pc? Still comes up as currently unavailable and I didn't see you post an update unless I missed the post? Thanks.

And I still can't decide on Binary Domain yet... I'm so tempted at $10 plus I still have a soft spot for sega but I have so much I'm playing already that I doubt I would get to it in any way. :(

Still waiting to hear on NHL 09, won't hear back until Monday.

Will the games in the THQ bundle also be discounted seperatly? I already have all of them except Red Faction Armageddon ;)

Negative, we'll only have the bundle on sale this go-around.

Cheers,
Tony

Borderlands 2 is Steamworks, so the only place you'll be able to activate and play it is Steam.

We just have our pre-order page up earlier than they do :).

Here it is:

So yes, if you preorer through us you will be able to play on Steam.

Still waiting to hear on NHL 09, won't hear back until Monday.

Negative, we'll only have the bundle on sale this go-around.

Cheers,
Tony

Ah, ok. I sort of figured it wouldn't be resolved yet because of the weekend but just wanted to check. Thanks again for the info.

PFD

“With both BL1 and BL2, the PC version is the best looking, highest fidelity version of the game, but what we’ve learned, is that the details are important to you on the PC and we made a strong effort to improve those details in the product.”

The efforts made to create a better PC game, which Claptrap outlined, are as follows:

100% mouse usable menus/mouse wheel scrolling.
Achievement support
Cloud save support
Control pad support
FOV slider
Friends list support
Integrated V-sync option
LAN support (including offline mode)
Logitech keyboard support
Mouse smoothing options (can be disabled completely)
Native multiplayer matchmaking
No port forwarding required
PC-specific UI
Push to talk
Remappable keybindings for keyboard/mouse
Support for higher resolutions

“It’s a miracle we did what we did with Borderlands 1 – it’s a big risk to build a new IP, Pitchford continued. “We spent every dollar we had on that game, and while we had a nice budget, it still had us confined to being rational and responsible of what is expected to happen.

“Fortunately BL1 was a tremendous success, millions and millions of units sold. We’re at 6 million units sold right now, and that is exciting for a new IP -its unprecedented really.

“That means, we were able to put the budget into BL2 that it deserves – a budget I wish we’d had for the first game – and as such we can up some of our priorities.”

Borderlands 2 releases on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 in September.

Ok that list just convinced me to buy Borderlands 2 at full price.

Mechazawa

So do we know if the 14th is the last day of the sale? Like, there won't be a new batch of games to go up.

Also, do we know when the Binary Domain sale ends? Just implied that it runs through the 14th?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey Tony.. Some pre-orders on consoles gives you a 10 buck Amazon Credit for your next game purchase on Amazon.

Any chance of that spilling over to Digital Distribution pre-orders? Some "rewards" program like that would be amazing.. :D

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Hey Tony.. Some pre-orders on consoles gives you a 10 buck Amazon Credit for your next game purchase on Amazon.

Any chance of that spilling over to Digital Distribution pre-orders? Some "rewards" program like that would be amazing.. :D

They already do. I believe I got $10 in credit from prepurchasing Mass Effect 3.

edit - on second thoguht, maybe it had something to do with the From Dust DLC

So do we know if the 14th is the last day of the sale? Like, there won't be a new batch of games to go up.

Also, do we know when the Binary Domain sale ends? Just implied that it runs through the 14th?

Sorry about this. The current sales I've got lined up run through 7/14. After that we have a less conventional set of deals that this audience may or may not be interested in. More to come next week on that.

I'm still working on more offers from Square, Deep Silver, and a Sniper deal as well.

They already do. I believe I got $10 in credit from prepurchasing Mass Effect 3.

We currently do 10-15% off most pre-orders. We've done extensive testing around this and found that more people pre-order when we offer this level of discount rather than a $10 GC. I have no idea why, and I was a huge proponent of the GC idea...the numbers didn't lie though, we tested extensively for about a year.

That being said, we will continue to test here and there on offering a GC with pre-order, it just depends on the title and what kind of data we're trying to gather.

Cheers,
Tony

drizzle

Axel Hertz
We currently do 10-15% off most pre-orders. We've done extensive testing around this and found that more people pre-order when we offer this level of discount rather than a $10 GC. I have no idea why, and I was a huge proponent of the GC idea...the numbers didn't lie though, we tested extensively for about a year.

That being said, we will continue to test here and there on offering a GC with pre-order, it just depends on the title and what kind of data we're trying to gather.

Cheers,
Tony

Weird, if you asked me, the 10 bucks back is both better to the customer (10 bucks is more than 10-15% off 60 bucks) and better for the store (because the customer is obligated to buy the next game on your store to use the 10 bucks).

But I guess there's a reason why I don't work on the retailer industry.. :D

Sturmovik

Neo Member
Was going to start a thread on this, but am was unable (new member restriction I guess).

Did a giveaway for a Victoria II steam key, and the person that won claimed the key was invalid. Made no sense, but felt bad and bought him a copy of Payday the Heist on Amazon for $5 and sent him that key, he also claimed it was invalid. Bit suspicious as I have never had an issue with Steam keys through Amazon. Simply don't know if he was being dishonest, or if there is an issue with his account.

At any rate, putting these two keys out here, anyone that tries them please let me know if they went through, or state if they are already in use (which means I have been scammed). Already own both games myself so cannot do so on my end (both are legitimate Amazon purchase keys):

Victoria II

H6026-R9P8L-IM43D

Payday the Heist

K6DDF-NCAKP-EA2YQ

Thanks,

Paul

drizzle

Axel Hertz
At any rate, putting these two keys out here, anyone that tries them please let me know if they went through, or state if they are already in use (which means I have been scammed). Already own both games myself so cannot do so on my end (both are legitimate Amazon purchase keys):

Victoria II

I got that one. Thanks!

Edit: I guess I could explain it better. I redeemed it properly on Steam without any issue.

robbed

Neo Member
Got payday! Thanks!! Gonna PM you something in return :)

Payday the Heist

Thanks,

Paul

Sturmovik

Neo Member
For future use, you might want to put those in [ email ] tags. Now everyone can see them, if you put them in those tags only registered users can because they need to quote the post.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Weird, if you asked me, the 10 bucks back is both better to the customer (10 bucks is more than 10-15% off 60 bucks) and better for the store (because the customer is obligated to buy the next game on your store to use the 10 bucks).

But I guess there's a reason why I don't work on the retailer industry.. :D

Yeah, they did ask me and I said the same thing. Then we ran the tests. We analyzed both the difference in pre-order volume and the rate of customer return (repeat purchases). The discount crushed.

I was baffled and felt silly for weeks lol.

Cheers,
Tony

robbed

Neo Member
robbed & drizzle,

Thanks mates! Must have been an issue on his end.

Enjoy!

I think if you enter a lot of bad cdkeys in a row, steam will lock you out and not let you enter keys for a while.

Also, since Sturmovik already has it, first to quote gets pm'd a sol survivor steam key (gone!).

Ledsen

Yeah, they did ask me and I said the same thing. Then we ran the tests. We analyzed both the difference in pre-order volume and the rate of customer return (repeat purchases). The discount crushed.

I was baffled and felt silly for weeks lol.

Cheers,
Tony

Well... consumer behaviour isn't logical, so no need to feel bad :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Well... consumer behaviour isn't logical, so no need to feel bad :D
I'd argue that a upfront discount is better than a discount that requires another purchase.

And if you analyze it, that's right. A 10 buck discount on 2 60 buck games is less than 10% off on each of those games. But yeah... :D

hygea

Neo Member
I think if you enter a lot of bad cdkeys in a row, steam will lock you out and not let you enter keys for a while.

Also, since Sturmovik already has it, first to quote gets pm'd a sol survivor steam key.

Yes please :)

Edit: Thx alot robbed! much appreciated

Little bit off topic but does anyone know why Command and Conquer Generals+Zero Hour seem to get zero support? By that I mean it was never added to the steam registry and as far as I know it wasn't on Origin. IMO one of the greatest C&C games to date.

Opinion of Binary Domain during prologue: "Well, this was a waste of $10.00"
Opinion of Binary Domain after prologue: "I should have bought this Day 1."

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Well just bought FIFA 12, installing Origin, i'm scared!

edit: or not, i'm stuck on the check out page. It was almost instant everytime last wek when i bought stuff.
Your order is being processed. Please do not leave this page.
This will usually take less than a minute.

What the fuck, it went through, but i don't have my key, SCAM ALERT!

Megasoum

Banned
Little bit off topic but does anyone know why Command and Conquer Generals+Zero Hour seem to get zero support? By that I mean it was never added to the steam registry and as far as I know it wasn't on Origin. IMO one of the greatest C&C games to date.

I think you can find the Command & Conquer: The first decade online but I'm not sure. I thought it was on Origin but doesn't look like it. Anyway Generals runs terribly on modern machine (unfortunatly...I agree it's a kick ass game).

Deliverance

Neo Member
If I buy tomb Raider Underworld, will I get a steam key? Some people seem to have been getting them.

You're planning on getting the pack, right? (It's cheaper than the game alone). If so, I bought it a couple of hours ago and it activated on Steam just fine.

Edit: I just saw that OP edited the first post. I guess it's all a matter of luck, friend.

Top Bottom