• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

Elginer

i84RpCjBy9LIy.jpg

OK, this is really selling me on the game but I can't spend any more money. Am waiting for the Steam sale and I picked up Divine Divinity on there as an impulse by fueled by dreams of always playing that game and missing out on it back in the day.

EDIT: Tony you are a scholar and gentleman. Thanks for all you do mang!

Question here guys, I'd love to collect some feedback from you on what you think likely contributed to the negative reception at launch for this game. My plan is to try and gather this info and pass it along to Sega to review.

Cheers,
Tony

I initially didn't pay much attention to the game due to the dudebro Gear-ish vibes it can evoke in screenshots. I picked it up during the sale after seeing the great reaction it was getting here on GAF and elsewhere. I'm not too far in yet, but I think I can see where it could be a little off-putting to some folks: It has the same weird loose feel to it that the Yakuza games have always had, which kind of bothers me and could be a deal-breaker for some. So far, though, the characters, acting/dialogue, and generally the rest of the game have been more than satisfying. It reminds me a lot of the critical reaction vs. reality of Alpha Protocol (which I loved) - which kinda sucks for Sega since you don't tend to make a whole lot of money off of discounted diamond-in-the-rough type games. I'm totally digging it so far, and by all indications will continue doing so.

Glad you're trying to make Sega hear it straight from the little people :)

Sober

And for reason people really hated Bo. I mean, he wasn't the greatest character in all of gaming but I always had a good laugh at his lines. I think people take it too seriously, even if he is token black guy in a team of token nationalities in a game where you shoot robots.

JAY the BIRD

Neo Member
God Binary Domain surprised me. So much better than I thought it would be. Decent optimization too. This sale is just multiplying my already monstrous backlog. Hoping for a Sniper Elite V2 sale and an Arma II sale soon!

I initially didn't pay much attention to the game due to the dudebro Gear-ish vibes it can evoke in screenshots. I picked it up during the sale after seeing the great reaction it was getting here on GAF and elsewhere. I'm not too far in yet, but I think I can see where it could be a little off-putting to some folks: It has the same weird loose feel to it that the Yakuza games have always had, which kind of bothers me and could be a deal-breaker for some. So far, though, the characters, acting/dialogue, and generally the rest of the game have been more than satisfying. It reminds me a lot of the critical reaction vs. reality of Alpha Protocol (which I loved) - which kinda sucks for Sega since you don't tend to make a whole lot of money off of discounted diamond-in-the-rough type games. I'm totally digging it so far, and by all indications will continue doing so.

Glad you're trying to make Sega hear it straight from the little people :)

This hits all the major points:

-Gears look-alike, but
-Controls (on PC, at least) aren't as responsive as the Gears series, further complicated by
-Marketing not matching the product

Alpha Protocol is pretty much the perfect comparison to make.

Elginer

OK Tony maybe you can help me out with this. I bought DAO Ultimate a while back and in Origin it's DAO vanilla and had DLC code. Weird thing is I'm looking at the menu now after downloading all this stuff and I have pretty much every DLC BUT AWAKENING. Is there a way to get that?

OK Tony maybe you can help me out with this. I bought DAO Ultimate a while back and in Origin it's DAO vanilla and had DLC code. Weird thing is I'm looking at the menu now after downloading all this stuff and I have pretty much every DLC BUT AWAKENING. Is there a way to get that?

I'm like 99% sure you have to register on the Bioware website to unlock all of the DLC, including Awakening. This is what I did way back when. I'm pretty sure I haven't even added it to Origin.

Can you check that and let me know if that works for you?

Cheers,
Tony

Elginer

OK, I see what I did like a dumbass. I had bought TWO copies of DAO. One Ultimate and one non and then for some insane reason the DLC code was redeemed [in game] for the vanilla Origins for all of the content of Ultimate which has has Awakening. I basically have one version that has all my DLC associated with that account in a vanilla version that does not have Awakening and an Awakening copy with no DLC.

Awesome! LOL

Amazon had the money, i had no game. No, i don't think i overreacted at all.

Anyway, i got it in the end, so let's not derail the thread, and PM me if you want to talk more about it Tony. If there is even things to talk about.

Nah, dude you were a huge dick about it too. A huge company like amazon isn't going to steal your money and "scam" you. He's explained to you and on previous pages that if your buying histories don't match up that they can be pending to make sure they're not fraudulent charges multiple times in this thread. Amazon of all companies isn't scamming and selling fake codes or something. FFS

Searched and didn't see anything about this: Just wanted to point out to anyone looking at grabbing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit should be aware that as a PC port, it's blatantly a rush job. Absolutely zero mouse support for anything in-game or menus (obviously meant for a gamepad/wheel), minimal tweakable options (and the most half-assed impotent little config file I've ever come across), and just the general feeling that it doesn't belong on the PC. I can't knock it TOO too much at $5 since my key had no trouble activating on Origin and it does run fine, but just be aware that there are potential issues that may not bother anyone but a PC gamer.

OK, I see what I did like a dumbass. I had bought TWO copies of DAO. One Ultimate and one non and then for some insane reason the DLC code was redeemed [in game] for the vanilla Origins for all of content Ultimate which has has Awakening. I basically have one version that has all my DLC associated with that account in a vanilla version that does not have Awakening and an Awakening copy with no DLC.

Awesome! LOL

:( is there anything you think we can do to assist? I don't have any creative solutions I can think of at 10:30PM on Saturday. Open to suggestion though.

Cheers,
Tony

mosesjohn

Neo Member
A week? LMAO you had it good friend. It took me 2 years to be approved. It was a very long 2 years. So congrats for making it so quick! :D

Damn I had no idea that it took that long... I was initially surprised that they didnt take just any email address. I used my college email, I thought that that might have been an issue. I guess it wasnt... well now I'm going to really appreciate this account.

Lots of good questions. I'll try and answer all of them as best I can.

1. When it comes to price matching steam, is that only on games that amazon has actual steam codes for? - If we have the game, Steam code or not, we'll match if we are matching.

2. If there are packs that steam makes, is amazon going to try and make similar packs to compete? - No, this puts too much of a burden on our OPS team and generally doesn't result in enough traction to make it worth our while.

3. Do you price match all of steams prices, even when they are not having that elusive summer sale? - Generally yes, but there are exceptions and errors that occur sometimes.

4. Also is this Amazon sale just going to last through July, or into August? Some of your posts reference upcoming deals for next month - With the exception of June, we've had a major promotional event every month since January. We also have a Deal of the Week that runs every week: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1375060442&pf_rd_i=979455011

5. Thanks for the kind words :).

Cheers,
Tony

Once again Tony responds promptly and completely. Tony, you are the greatest amazon rep in the world... I'm pretty sure if i google customer service, your name would be in the first link. I'm just going to add that I'm happy to hear that your working on getting arma 2 keys, there are a lot of us who are cheap but are really excited to try out dayz. i wanted to know if by any chance you were working on a saints row 3 deal? i mean i guess if steam did one during the sale, you would probably match it.

As for those raving for binary domain, i only played the first level and it was pretty cool i guess. i know it gets better, but i didnt have much time to play it today. hopefully it doesnt fall into my steam backlog....

Damn I had no idea that it took that long... I was initially surprised that they didnt take just any email address. I used my college email, I thought that that might have been an issue. I guess it wasnt... well now I'm going to really appreciate this account.

Once again Tony responds promptly and completely. Tony, you are the greatest amazon rep in the world... I'm pretty sure if i google customer service, your name would be in the first link. I'm just going to add that I'm happy to hear that your working on getting arma 2 keys, there are a lot of us who are cheap but are really excited to try out dayz. i wanted to know if by any chance you were working on a saints row 3 deal? i mean i guess if steam did one during the sale, you would probably match it.

As for those raving for binary domain, i only played the first level and it was pretty cool i guess. i know it gets better, but i didnt have much time to play it today. hopefully it doesnt fall into my steam backlog....

Thanks dude :).

We don't currently have anything planned for SRTT, if this changes you guys will be the first to know!

So, the THQ bundle is coming in about ~1 hour right?

Yes, I'll be turning on the buy box right around midnight.

Cheers,
Tony

mosesjohn

Neo Member
Thanks dude :).

We don't currently have anything planned for SRTT, if this changes you guys will be the first to know!

awesome! i really want it because of the coop and whatever mods it has. ive only gotten into pc games really in the past year, and i made some purchases on my steam account including some indie bundles. ive realized that the only games i actually play have coop... so thats what im using as my self-control this summer sale season.

Milamber

Hi Tony, any Binary Domain keys left? I'm planning on getting it within the next few days & hope there's still a lot. Thanks.

Hi Tony, any Binary Domain keys left? I'm planning on getting it within the next few days & hope there's still a lot. Thanks.

Every time I see questions like this i FREAK OUT and think the buy box is down for some reason lol.

Yeah we have lots of keys. I hope we get to the point where we need to order more!

Cheers,
Tony

thank you nice guys!!!!

Celebrating the account approval after 3 years, I will give out the Metro key for a GAFFER. Cannot stomach fps due to motion sickness :(

Ploid 3.0

I got the Square-Enix pack, so is there a reason I'd want them activated on steam other than JC2 for the multiplayer mod (requires steam)? Downloading Kane and Lynch 2 without steam to test. I just don't want a Ubisoft situation like Anno 2070's 3 installs then you have to rebuy (change video card = second install used).

Nelo Ice

Banned
OP updated.

7/8-7/14
THQ Bundle$14.99:Activates on Steam. Buying this bundle nets you a $5 coupon towards 3 THQ pre-orders (Darksiders II, Metro Last Light, and South Park) for a total of $39.99. After coupon)
  • Darksiders
  • Metro 2033
  • Red Faction Armageddon
  • Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC
  • Nexuiz
  • Supreme Commander:Forged Alliance

Enco

If anyone buys the bundle and doesn't want Metro I'll be happy to buy it from you.

Edit: ploid, steam has no max installs. Some games might but it has nothing to do with steam

Ploid 3.0

OP updated.

7/8-7/14
THQ Bundle$14.99:Activates on Steam. Buying this bundle nets you a $5 coupon towards 3 THQ pre-orders (Darksiders II, Metro Last Light, and South Park) for a total of $39.99. After coupon)
  • Darksiders
  • Metro 2033
  • Red Faction Armageddon
  • Nexuiz

Christmas in July indeed. So many games.

I got the Square-Enix pack, so is there a reason I'd want them activated on steam other than JC2 for the multiplayer mod (requires steam)? Downloading Kane and Lynch 2 without steam to test. I just don't want a Ubisoft situation like Anno 2070's 3 installs then you have to rebuy (change video card = second install used).

Install limits are a moot point when shopping with Amazon, my friend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200205020_times?nodeId=200205020&#times

How many times can I download my games or software?

You can download an unlimited number of times for personal use. To re-download, go to Your Games and Software Library through the "Your Digital Items" link at the top of the screen and click the download button.

Can I download and install to multiple computers?

For video games: Each game manufacturer has a different policy on how many installations are allowed with each product key. If you run out of installations for the product key you originally purchased from Amazon, please contact Customer Service and we will happily provide you with another key at no additional charge. You can install an unlimited number of times for personal use, however additional copies of the game for friends or family must be purchased separately.

OP updated.

7/8-7/14
  • Darksiders
  • Metro 2033
  • Red Faction Armageddon
  • Nexuiz

Thanks dude, you rock :).

Cheers,
Tony

Ketch

So I just got a $5 gift card for amazon... help me decide what to spend it on... what's the best game on the list for $5... thinking burnout collection... or paying an extra 2.50 for the uni bundle

edit: Oops! not ubi, squenix bundle... my bad

So I just got a $5 gift card for amazon... help me decide what to spend it on... what's the best game on the list for $5... thinking burnout collection... or paying an extra 2.50 for the ubi bundle

This makes me nervous lol...did you get a $5 GC or are you referring to the $5 credit you got with the purchase of the THQ bundle?

Cheers,
Tony

Top Bottom