• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Summer Sale July 1 | Not steamy but very hot (non-US buyers: read OP)

LM4sure

Banned
lol Reviews.

GAF impressions are pretty positive, even accounting for the underdog factor.

If any has an extra Darksiders, I might be interested. Definitely interested if its free :).

lol GAF impressions

$10 is too rich for such a gamble. I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Koroviev

Binary Domain people.

Buy it. Dont think. JUST BUY IT.

fantastic game.

A GAF recommendation hasn't failed me yet, but BD just looks so incredibly generic. The screenshots make it look like every other TPS on the market featuring a ridiculously muscular protagonist.

Zat

Neo Member
lol GAF impressions

$10 is too rich for such a gamble. I'll wait for a $5 sale.

"Gamble?" It's a gamble because of the reviews? An overwhelmingly positive consensus coming from gamers around the internet (of those who played more than the demo) and a $10 price tag don't make that investment low-risk enough?

Things that raise it above the rest of its kind: a) the story, b) the combat, c) the modularly modeled damage that the enemies take (and withstand), d) the pacing and e) the cinematography of the cutscenes. It's "a B scifi action movie" the game, and it does it perfectly.

Your call.

It's the game of the year 2012 so far in my books, with relative ease.

Zat

Neo Member
GAF impressions!!!

I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Like I said, playing the demo or the first half hour to hour doesn't really cut it. The game doesn't truly start until Chapter 2. But boy does it pick up from then on. It's an awesome 9-hour experience and apart from the terrible opening chapter, I loved every minute.

A GAF recommendation hasn't failed me yet, but BD just looks so incredibly generic. The screenshots make it look like every other TPS on the market featuring a ridiculously muscular protagonist.

It plays very much like other third person shooters. There are some interesting characters and a quirky story. As far as, mechanics go, it plays very much like a faster paced Gears of War with one particular unique mechanic, when you remove an enemy's head they will fight on your side until they die. The game controls well and the pacing is good for the most part, though at some points I feel that gameplay is interrupted too often for story purposes. Really solid game and I feel it's definitely worth $10 if you're a fan of the genre. On the other hand, if you can't stand TPS games, don't expect something radically different.

Binary-Domain-Screens_08-02.jpg

mosesjohn

Neo Member
I'll wait for a $5 sale.

Probably a smart idea... if you don't mind waiting, then do it, no matter who reviews it. i bought it for 10 and sadly only played the first level. i might get back into it, or it might fall into my backlog. Either way, I could have waited to buy it, maybe during the fall or winter sales, when it will probably be $5, and then spend my money on something i would actually play right now. Oh well, I was getting tired of waiting for the summer sale and I just had to buy something from somewhere... and binary domain was a suitable fix.

Are you guys that plan on waiting to purchase Binary Domain not planning on playing mulitplayer? I'd think that the longer you wait the less chance you'll find guys to kill in multiplayer.

Zat

Neo Member
360 controller? It wasn't meant for KB/M.

I preferred keyboard+mouse. Other than the slightly annoying mouse acceleration issue, it worked just fine; it was not too different from the likes of Mass Effect 2 or 3. I probably rebinded a few of the default keys though.

But I can't play TPS's like this for shit with a controller so the choice was obvious.

Koroviev

It plays very much like other third person shooters. There are some interesting characters and a quirky story. As far as, mechanics go, it plays very much like a faster paced Gears of War with one particular unique mechanic, when you remove an enemy's head they will fight on your side until they die. The game controls well and the pacing is good for the most part, though at some points I feel that gameplay is interrupted too often for story purposes. Really solid game and I feel it's definitely worth $10 if you're a fan of the genre. On the other hand, if you can't stand TPS games, don't expect something radically different.

I'm not anti-TPS (I love Mass Effect), I just don't like how much the main guys look like they were pulled straight from Gears. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is my favorite sci-fi novel, so I certainly find the premise intriguing.

How does the game run on PC? I have a 3.0 GHz dual core, a GTX 460, 4 GB of RAM and a 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have a PS3 controller, if the game works with Motion Joy.

Hey guys,

buy Binary Domain. I'm seriously baffled at the reviews it has been getting. It's a solid 9 for me so far. And by that I mean it is fantastic. Just buy it. It'll be a long time until it goes below $10, and it's ABSOLUTELY worth it at this pricepoint.

I'm playing it with a 360 pad and it controls perfectly fine.

BUY IT.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yes, I am.

It probably won't be too long before it's $5. Maybe even during the steam summer sale?!

You're expecting Steam to hit 88%? We're lucky if they even hit 80% off :lol. The max Steam discounts is generally at 75% and that's whats currently being offered right now. Steam rarely goes past that mark and that's generally for for older games. This game just came out like 2 or 3 months ago on PC. Not to mention the fact that Amazon has shown that they can beat Steam. If you want the game and want to play it now may as well pick it up.

I have nothing against the mechs. They're my favorite enemies in Mass Effect.

$10 is a 75% discount. Don't think Steam will go lower than that :\

Oh, I know you have nothing against robots. You certainly do go out of your way to defend them. That got me thinking...

Zat

Neo Member
How does the game run on PC? I have a 3.0 GHz dual core, a GTX 460, 4 GB of RAM and a 1920 x 1080 resolution. I have a PS3 controller, if the game works with Motion Joy.

On a pretty decent machine (i5-2500K, GTX 560 Ti, 8 GB) at least, it runs absolutely flawlessly at 1920x1080. No slowdowns at all ever, no matter how much shit is going down, and the game looks pretty damn nice and there's no frame limit or any such nonsense (except the cutscenes, they seem to be locked at 30 FPS). I suppose the graphics are not quite state-of-the-art but they look good nonetheless. The characters and the robots look great and are animated really well.

Koroviev

On a pretty decent machine (i5-2500K, GTX 560 Ti, 8 GB) at least, it runs absolutely flawlessly at 1920x1080. No slowdowns at all ever, no matter how much shit is going down, and the game looks pretty damn nice and there's no frame limit or any such nonsense (except the cutscenes, they seem to be locked at 30 FPS). I suppose the graphics are not quite state-of-the-art but they look good nonetheless. The characters and the robots look great and are animated really well.

As long as it's not a God-awful port a la GTA4, I think I'm alright.

Does the game feature a co-op campaign? Don't care about online mp, but it would be cool to play it with my sister.

Are people generally able to find multiplayer games in BD?
I know it's not the primary focus of the game, but I'd like to try it out and can never find any games. Thinking it's maybe a network issue on my side.

Just re-read the OP, looks like the current mistakes are:

1. Crusader Kings II - Ended yesterday
2. The Sega packs ended on 4/6 and now the individual games are 50% off

I THINK that's it, sorry for the confusion guys. This was the result of me sending Nelo incorrect info via email to post here.

Cheers,
Tony
Noooo!!! I was literally planning to buy Crusader Kings II in two hours time when the bank opens (need to put money on my debit card), I thought I had to the 14th, so I didn't go earlier. :( Oh well, it was $10 on Steam a few weeks back (I was away), hopefully it will hit the same price point during the Summer Sale.

Need to elevate that timer to priority one Tony, lol.
Really? Reviews have been terrible
Man, I would have missed out on some amazing games if I trusted reviewers. Until you actually try the games for yourself, you really don't know.

By the way, I don't see how 68/100 is "terrible". It has a higher metacritic on Xbox/PS3, but regardless, if I am ever grading you and you score 68/100, I will be sure to give you an F. XD

Okay great and what is wrong with Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer?

Thanks,
BB
This concerns me also. I have the game but some guys here at the forums said there are security concerns with firewalls and av software triggering alarms left and right. This has prevented me from trying the multi player a bit.

Should I buy Binary Domain or the slightly cheaper Hot Pursuit?

I hear both have slightly iffy PC ports. Is Hot Pursuit locked to 30fps?

Elginer

I hope The Last Remnant goes on sale :)

In a miracle, Amazon had it on sale for 15 last month. I hopped on that shit like a lion on a gazelle.
Question for that that picked up BD, how's the voice thing work? It any good or can it be played w/o it?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Are people generally able to find multiplayer games in BD?
I know it's not the primary focus of the game, but I'd like to try it out and can never find any games. Thinking it's maybe a network issue on my side.

PC mp was completely empty when I tried it last night.

Tess3ract

Banned
I started playing Binary Domain and I'm on max settings with the SMAA injector on ultra and everything and I get 30-45 fps all the time on this computer:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5GHz
8GB DDR2 in Dual Channel
1920x1200 on a ATI HD4890 1GB

Koroviev

Anyone else experience problems with the BD demo? I can't play it at all. The game crashes as soon as the opening scene starts. I tried disabling the voice recognition since I don't have a mic hooked up, but it didn't help.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That Spider boss fight I just finished was worth the $10 by itself.

The game starts off a bit slow, but is gradually escalating.

For me this game is this year's Alpha Protocol. It's fucking awesome once you get through the tutorial level. And I hated Gears!

scitek

I started playing Binary Domain and I'm on max settings with the SMAA injector on ultra and everything and I get 30-45 fps all the time on this computer:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5GHz
8GB DDR2 in Dual Channel
1920x1200 on a ATI HD4890 1GB
You're having trouble running Alan Wake on that rig? That doesn't seem right.

Edit: let me know how SMAA works for you over the long term. It works for me for a little bit but then always crashes. Both with an AMD and Nvidia card.

PC mp was completely empty when I tried it last night.

How do we fix this?

When I'm on Steam my handle is XBRoughneck. I am more than happy to game with others when I'm online.

It's ridiculous that this fun game doesn't have a ton of people playing online.

And yes, after 1 hour I enjoy the story.

Tess3ract

Banned
I find the game is actually better with a mouse and keyboard (most 3rd person games are) but only if you remap everything because the defaults are shit, and the On Screen button images are just wrong. Like what is -><-? what's [_]?

I know what they were trying to do but it's shit.

Also the game gets better after chapter 1.

Also the voice commands are shit. It keeps thinking I'm saying something else, prolly because of the way I say words.

Top Bottom