• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am_I_Evil

amazon.it being awesome...this happened a few days ago but just did the math...

so i ordered wave 5A (minus Palutena who is ordered elsewhere) and a Little Mac...then ordered the Pink & Green yarn yoshi amiibo separately...meant to ask to combine (to save on shipping) but got busy at work...noticed i got charged so sent the email when i got that notification on my phone..

they refunded me EUR 10.59 from the shipping charges even though this was already shipped/about to ship...they took it from the Wave 5A/Little mac order...even though my 2 orders shipped in 3 boxes (Little Mac alone, 5A and then the yoshi amiibo)....

so doing the math on that 5A order, it was EUR 63.22...then subtract the 10.59 and its 52.63...in USD that's 58.78....or only 14.70ish per amiibo for Wave 5A and Little Mac...

awesome...

i'm also getting the Little Mac on Monday...for some reason that was shipped normal UPS..the other 2 orders are i-Parcel and scheduled to get here much later...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
there is no hope for NoA

There really isn't. It's why I'm not even thinking about retail seriously at this point.

The Smash series at least, is almost done and I can't see it being a real priority outside of the Nintendo World Show showing off from time to time.

If you live in the US, it seems it is time to consider amiibo a premium collectible that can't be had for 12 bucks a pop. I know this discourages a lot of people, and it isn't their fault.

But it's NOA.

There really isn't. It's why I'm not even thinking about retail seriously at this point.

The Smash series at least, is almost done and I can't see it being a real priority outside of the Nintendo World Show showing off from time to time.

If you live in the US, it seems it is time to consider amiibo a premium collectible that can't be had for 12 bucks a pop. I know this discourages a lot of people, and it isn't their fault.

But it's NOA.

Paid retail for every single amiibo so far. It's a bitch, but it still can be done. :p

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Paid retail for every single amiibo so far. It's a bitch, but it still can be done. :p

image.php

believe in the holiday flood x ordering online from nintendo of americas online store

Nintendo is thirsty for money in case NX doesn't sell x wii u's flop

Nintendo dug there own grave with the smash line and they are now stuck in the same spot Activision was when skylanders was at the peak of there hype they underestimated the demand for the figures and and are now stuck trying to climb there way out of it but sadly the only way out is to ride it out till the smash line ends like Activision did with skylanders series 1. Honestly every new wave of amiibo that comes out i see more and more people trying to get them the demand and hype is far exceeding what Nintendo can keep putting out.

lol

believe in the holiday flood x ordering online from nintendo of americas online store

Nintendo is thirsty for money in case NX doesn't sell x wii u's flop

Is Nintendo (of America particularly) really thirsty for money though? It seems to me they'd rather avoid it like the plague... So many bizarre choices and insane stock issues as of late.

Hell, NOA has released three Wii games on the eShop since they started 5 months ago, which are just ISO dumps running natively - i.e. more or less literally free money. In less time than that MS will have emulated and released over 100 Xbox 360 games on X1, and that was supposed to be technically impossible.

kirby_fox

Banned
Nintendo dug there own grave with the smash line and they are now stuck in the same spot Activision was when skylanders was at the peak of there hype they underestimated the demand for the figures and and are now stuck trying to climb there way out of it but sadly the only way out is to ride it out till the smash line ends like Activision did with skylanders series 1. Honestly every new wave of amiibo that comes out i see more and more people trying to get them the demand and hype is far exceeding what Nintendo can keep putting out.

Your use of there for their irks me so...

Demand basically kept growing because of rarity. Having started around the time Wave 1 was really starting out, it's been interesting to see how increasingly hard it is to get these damn figures and how I've been right about them so far (huge supplies of Greninja in store if you got there on launch for instance).

What scares me is that I'm starting to feel the pinch for Dark Pit...not so much Palutena for some reason, but I think Dark Pit is going to be real hard to find. And I'm going to guess that comes from the fact Pit was hard to find, which makes me think Pit was hard to make. Thus, Dark Pit is going to be just as hard.

kirby_fox

Banned
Nonsense, Wave 4 was by far the easiest yet, just ask Reggie!

Depending on your area, if you walked into a store at a relatively decent early morning hour you could have grabbed everything but Ness. Wave 3 if you didn't preorder you were boned, minus Rosie that is (which you could still find at early morning hours).

Of course, in saying that, if you didn't sit online and constantly check this thread you were pretty much boned too from preordering.

Nonsense, Wave 4 was by far the easiest yet, just ask Reggie!

honestly wave 3 and 4 were by far much easier to get than wave 2 which was a nightmare to try and get Pit, captain falcon, and Little Mac. Wave 1 i walked into Meijer a week after launch and saw the entire wave including the holy trinity just sitting there.

Your use of there for their irks me so...

Demand basically kept growing because of rarity. Having started around the time Wave 1 was really starting out, it's been interesting to see how increasingly hard it is to get these damn figures and how I've been right about them so far (huge supplies of Greninja in store if you got there on launch for instance).

What scares me is that I'm starting to feel the pinch for Dark Pit...not so much Palutena for some reason, but I think Dark Pit is going to be real hard to find. And I'm going to guess that comes from the fact Pit was hard to find, which makes me think Pit was hard to make. Thus, Dark Pit is going to be just as hard.

Lol sorry about that that is what happens when typing fast while doing time trials in Donkey Kong Wii U. Yea the demand is becoming insane at this point Nintendo needs a fresh start which is why I believe once the smash line ends and production of those figures completely stops things will be better since they wont have to do 50+ characters and they can just concentrate on the smaller sets only.

Velcro Fly

People forget how awful Wave 2 was

You had basically no release date for half of them. Another 3 barely showed up in stores if at all. Even Diddy was uncommon at best until after the first of the year. I didn't get my 2B until the middle of January. Wave 3 was similarly bad because there was about 5 different release dates and all kinds of cancellations for Ike, Dedede, Shulk, etc.

Wave 4 had one release date. The supply sucked, but the guesswork was gone. I'd honestly rather have that.

Samaritan

You had basically no release date for half of them. Another 3 barely showed up in stores if at all. Even Diddy was uncommon at best until after the first of the year. I didn't get my 2B until the middle of January. Wave 3 was similarly bad because there was about 5 different release dates and all kinds of cancellations for Ike, Dedede, Shulk, etc.

Wave 4 had one release date. The supply sucked, but the guesswork was gone. I'd honestly rather have that.

That's been the most frustrating part for me at least: the lack of concrete information. We know exactly the time and day new waves of Amiibos are out in Europe and Japan, but it was a complete crapshoot for North America for awhile there.

Lately we've at least gotten concrete dates, but it's taking Nintendo of America so damn long to give us those dates that it's almost more frustrating.

Four might not have been the universal lowest point, but still, there's no way in hell it was the best either. Even with wave three with its random and staggered releases, you still had at least a couple weeks to pre-order every amiibo but Rosalina. There was some fuckery with Lucario, but even considering that he really wasn't that bad relatively speaking.

Fox Mulder

Depending on your area, if you walked into a store at a relatively decent early morning hour you could have grabbed everything but Ness. Wave 3 if you didn't preorder you were boned, minus Rosie that is (which you could still find at early morning hours).

Of course, in saying that, if you didn't sit online and constantly check this thread you were pretty much boned too from preordering.

Wave 4 stock was still shit as everything was gone by like noon everywhere. Just because TRU had like 20 greninjas at opening doesn't mean shit if that's all they ever get. Gamestops were getting 1-2 Ness figures at release for people that didn't line up in store at 2 pm on a Thursday in April or whatever. Probably haven't got shit since too.

Not everyone can catch a fucked online preorder or lineup at 4 am either.

Maengun1

You had basically no release date for half of them. Another 3 barely showed up in stores if at all. Even Diddy was uncommon at best until after the first of the year. I didn't get my 2B until the middle of January..

Oh god, Wave 2 was when the sad reality of amiibos hit me.

I had managed to get the nine Wave 1s that weren't Marth/Villager/Trainer really easily, I picked up 1 or 2 at a time over the course of the few weeks after they came out.

Then I read about the supposed wave 2 "release date," I think it was December 13th or 14th?

I got up really early that morning, walked into the store expecting to see all of Wave 2 lined up neatly on the shelf like Wave 1 had been. Then I see.....scattered Mario/Peach/Pikachu/etc. Crestfallen, I asked an employee where Wave 2 was and they had no idea there were supposed to be MORE of these things. LOL. I realized it was not going to be fun at all from that point on.

Since we are on the subject lets get some thoughts on how each wave of amiibo went for everyone.

Wave 1

I pre-ordered mario and link from gamestop before release and figured i would grab the rest when i got my net pay check. I had a chance to get all of figures for about a 1 week and half as stores near me had all of them then it was found about about the holy trinity being rare and i never saw wii fit trainer or villager again in stores. Wave 1 haul all but wii fit trainer and marth at launch eventually got marth with the restock.

Wave 2

I had zero pre-orders on any of the figures because of bills i found diddy, luigi, and zelda at a local meijer, Pit i had to import on amazon paid $40 for him, Captain falcon i drove to a gamestop 2 hours away to pick one up since that was the only gamestop that had any stock left, and little mac i got because gaf posted he was at gamestop.com. Wave 2 haul complete.

Wave 3

I pre-orded Bowser, Toon Link, Sheik, Sonic, Mega Man, Ike, King Dedede all at gamestop i missed shulk pre-orders by like a day, Rosalina i went to target right when they opened walked out 5min later with rosalina, Lucario i missed out pre-orders and couldnt make it to toys r us they day it released, and meta Knight i imported cause mine got canceled at best buy. Wave 3 all but shulk and lucario.

Wave 4

By far the easiest Wave since wave 1 for me to get i walked into meijer at midnight no one else but me there and got to pick from the entire wave 4 minus exclusives that i wanted since i needed the splatoon 3 pack i had to pass on lucina though. I then went to target 2hrs before they opend was 4th in line picked up jigglypuff and went home. Sadly i didnt have enough money to get greninja at toys r us but if i would have i cold have seeing as my toys r us had about 60 greninja in stock. Wave 4 all but Lucina and greninja.

Total count 32/37

Renewed

Bought my amiibo in-store or from Amazon for MSRP before Wave 5. Sitting at... 25 of god knows how many are currently available in terms of NA. Plus ZSS, Ganondorf, Pitoo and Palutena as my first imports, so it'll be 29.

Josh5890

Well I think that the wave 2/3 hassle was due mostly to the port strike.

SeZMehK

Let's see the only ones left for me to get are:
- Greninja
- Jigglypuff
- Charizard
- Mewtwo
- Yarn Yoshi
- Pikachu (Lol)
- 8 bit Mario (OG colors)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been paying attention to amiibos. how rare are zero suit samus, palutena, dark pit and ganon?

Non-existent in the U.S. so far. Most likely to be sold out at 1 AM in 10 minutes when they do go up.

Please understand.

Rocky

Banned
At least we got it at retail. Especially with how Devils third and fatal frame are looking. NoA always being cheap, I think that's where our real amiibo problems lie.

Cheap? It's beginning to feel like they are trying to actually phase out the NA market. They've been giving us the bare minimum with everything lately.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
I haven't been paying attention to amiibos. how rare are zero suit samus, palutena, dark pit and ganon?

Looking at prices right now, ZSS is the clear winner (personally she cost me an extra $10 than the others). Ganondorf seems to be the only one, at least in Europe, you can get online for it's original price. DP will probably be an auto-unicorn if the Best Buy rumors are true. Not sure about Palutena, other than she's probably in the same boat as the Fire Emblem characters.

Honestly the entirety of Wave 5 it seems like it's a better option to import them rather than deal with exclusives or wait until September, when chances are, you'll end up paying scalper prices anyway.

Pizza

I hope wave 5 has a reasonable preorder situation. If I can nab all my guys on Amazon I'll be giddy. Sure, it's not actually going to happen, but I can hope.

After that I can worry about grabbing jigglypuff and fox before he has a price-hike renaissance before starfox zero drops.

Then I get to start enjoying them more as a thing, grabbing characters here and there as they look interesting and have cool in-game functionality.

then smash dlc characters will drop at the most inoppertune time and I'll start this hell all over

Jawmuncher

Are we guessing that all of the DLC characters thus far will be a wave themselves?

There's a common a rare and two exclusives if they go by trends.

-----

These restocked are a joke.

Jawmuncher

Got my Gamondorf and Dark Pit today. Finally I can rest even if only for a little while. Next amiibos I'll need are the DLC ones.

Xamdou

Aw missed Wii Fit Trainer! If any one has an extra one I'll trade ya JP/NA Marth, NA Shulk, OR EU MeTaKnight for her... I'll even throw in an NA Toad!

kirby_fox

Banned
Are we guessing that all of the DLC characters thus far will be a wave themselves?

There's a common a rare and two exclusives if they go by trends.

-----

These restocked are a joke.

Mewtwo looks to be scheduled before end of the year. According to that timeline image, Mewtwo came before Falco did.

Jawmuncher

Mewtwo looks to be scheduled before end of the year. According to that timeline image, Mewtwo came before Falco did.

Interesting. Wonder when they'll just drop him.
Since Falco seems to be saved for Star Fox WiiU. Wouldn't even be surprised if mewtwo is toys r us exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom