• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drago

Amazon must have really sucked packing Chibi Robo.

Yeah, package things properly -_-
Glad I held off from buying another to keep NIB, I've only heard bad things about how they shipped him. Hopefully they really do something about it, I still want one :x

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
They sure did. Buddy and I both ordered a Chibi Amiibo from Amazon. His arrived in a bubble mailer, completely destroyed, including the figure itself. Mine came in a box that was too big, and had zero padding. Amiibo packaging was crushed, but the figure was OK. I like to leave my Amiibo in their packaging, so the mangled box didn't do me any favors either. Ended up giving my figure to my friend, and he has started the return process with Amazon for his. The funny part, we both live in the same town, so Amazon clearly doesn't have any kind of standardized packaging guidelines for Amiibo. Makes complete sense that they would have a ton of returns.

I still think it's surprising that they used bubble mailers for it. Wouldn't think it would even fit in the big ones! When my Palutena came in, they used those small, rectangular boxes. I think one little piece of padding, but it was in perfect shape. I am local by an Amazon warehouse, so that might make a bit of a difference (can't remember where it was shipped from, though). I think my Olimar was in the same small box. They should use that one more, as it's the perfect fit for Amiibos.

But yeah Amazon REALLY needs to stop using bubble mailers for flimsy/collectibles. I open mine up, but I do take photos before I open them to at least archive that. Surprised FedEx sent a perfect box to my Walmart of the Modern Colour Mario, unlike Ganondorf from the last wave >_>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, imagine if they made Minecraft amiibo so you could take your custom skins to other Wii Us.

.........or ya know, scan Mario characters to unlock skins based on them.

finalflame

lMJyUwS.jpg

HORI Album for the AC cards just cam in. It's well built but nowhere near as nice as the official Nintendo ones for Europe.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
lMJyUwS.jpg

HORI Album for the AC cards just cam in. It's well built but nowhere near as nice as the official Nintendo ones for Europe.

The cover looks flimsy, is it? For some reason from the stock photos, I thought it was made from a chipboard material.

finalflame

The cover looks flimsy, is it? For some reason from the stock photos, I thought it was made from a chipboard material.

It's made form some kind of thick polycarbonate. I have no fear of it bending or tearing, it's thick enough, but the book very much feels like one of these binders:

41ALEB56uSL._SY300_.jpg

My only worry is that the stitching form the pages will hold out. Overall, it feels more like a storage binder for the cards and not a collector's book like the EU Nintendo ones. It's a shame :/

Got mine today, so I took some pictures for those that want to see it "live", as it were.

Front:
k7A0aLA.jpg

Back:
V7usuMC.jpg

Inside:
lMDdGz0.jpg

The entire thing seems to be made of plastic materials. The cover is thin and flexible without really feeling delicate, if that distinction means anything. Edit: victor.m! Good call. That's what the folio reminds me of, too.

I really wish they had made the covers the same as the series card covers, like the European ones are, I would definitely gone in for four in that case. As things stand now, this is only a good album if you are doing NA cards/storage exclusively & haven't already worked out an alternative solution. Or if you're getting a gift for an Animal Crossing obsessed fan! :)

I do like that the bag it comes in opens from the bottom and is able to be sealed again, gives a little extra protection if you want to keep your Series 1 in good shape. Also, album holds 112 cards total, so you can fit in the exclusive cards. There are 4 that I know of so far (the CP Shizue/Isabelle and the 3 amiibo Festival cards).

Oh, wait, this is the amiibo thread!

Here's my "collection" so far:

+ Lottie & Super Mario series Luigi

and yes, that is the 2016 Animal Crossing Wall Calendar, so get that, too.

Something I've been meaning to ask, but why are the Animal Crossing Amiibos so much smaller than the Smash line, which seem to be smaller than the Super Mario line? Am I just being cynical that the Animal Crossing ones are smaller to save money/plastic compared to the Smash line?

I held off on Code Name STEAM for a while until I got the Fire Emblem amiibos compatible with the game, well.

The game was up for $15 on Amazon, and now it's time to play it

Poor Roy, can't be here. Hope Fire Emblem: Fates doesn't leave Roy out of the party.

Something I've been meaning to ask, but why are the Animal Crossing Amiibos so much smaller than the Smash line, which seem to be smaller than the Super Mario line? Am I just being cynical that the Animal Crossing ones are smaller to save money/plastic compared to the Smash line?
The Animal Crossing line is pretty hefty and the detailing is great, I'd say they are made out of the same amount, or close to the same amount, of material as the Smash series, but are squat, solid, and heavy on detail, which more than makes up for it.

Checked Isabelle and Digby directly with my Smash amiibo, they compare favorably in height, too... so not sure which Smash amiibo you're talking about?

The Animal Crossing line is pretty hefty and the detailing is great, I'd say they are made out of the same amount, or close to the same amount, of material as the Smash series, but are squat, solid, and heavy on detail, which more than makes up for it.

Checked Isabelle and Digby directly with my Smash amiibo, they compare favorably in height, too... so not sure which Smash amiibo you're talking about?

Maybe I phrased my post antagonistically.

I mean, they are dense, sure, but they are small. They seem to be about 2/3rds the size of the Smash line. Just eyeballing right now, but they look about a 1/3rd smaller than Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Donkey Kong, Shulk, Rosalina, Bowser, etc. And a lot of the Smash line has a good amount of detail on them, like Ganondorf, Fox, and so on.

No worries, brianmcdoogle - you made me curious so I did some hastily eyeballed (with my frankly crappy eyes) & rough measurements on the amiibo I have opened. All weight measurements on standard kitchen scale. All height measurements include the base, the width is the widest part of the figurine portion. Spoiler Alert: Smash Bowser is a game wrecker.

Smash Series:
Pikachu is 42 g, 8 cm tall, 7 cm wide from left eartip to tailtip.
Peach is also 42 g, 11 cm tall (including her crown), and 6 cm wide, front of skirt-wise.
Kirby is a hefty 43 g, and 5 cm tall and wide, measured from his shoetips.
Bowser is a broken 105 g, 9 cm tall and 9 cm wide, both from claw to claw and from tailtip to snout. Probably the largest amiibo in weight alone.

Most other amiibo are less than 1/2 of a Bowser from what I can tell! He's practically a blunt instrument.

The Animal Crossing series:
Digby is the lightest at 33 g, measuring 8 cm tall and 3.5 cm wide from eartip to eartip.

... I could go on, but the heaviest amiibo in this series so far is...

Cyrus, at 45 g, 9 cm tall, and 4 cm wide from front tip of hair to back of head.

All of the other Animal Crossing amiibo are between them in weight and similar in dimensions, although a couple are wider, Nook at 5.5 cm from tailtip to snout and Mabel at 6 cm between spiketip to snout.

I don't really know if this indicates anything other than Nintendo getting more efficient at making the amiibo & Animal Crossing characters being more similar in size than the Smash characters due to the AC games providing a more uniform scale opposed to Smash's multi-roster approach.

I still think that the detailing on the AC ones is pretty great, there are several different textures on the clothing, and the wood grain on K.K.'s guitar and stump are crazy. The joining seems less awkward to me as well. While I was measuring, I did realize that Pikachu and Kirby have likely skewed my perspective on the Smash amiibo detailing as they are mostly paint by numbers and half of our opened Smash amiibo. The paint on those two is slightly flaking in places and they aren't handled very much at all, either. I should play a few more rounds of Festival and see how well the AC paint jobs hold up over time and use. I'd imagine K.K.'s guitar strings would be the first casualty.

I'm really interested in what the second set of Animal Crossing amiibo will weigh in at, as they are going to feature wider
(Blathers)
and heftier
(Resetti)
characters, as well as a 2 characters in 1 amiibo
(The Nooklings)
similar to Rosalina & Luma, but in a more condensed pose.

I am probably too defensive anyway, since I'm a bigger Animal Crossing fan than I am of almost all of the Smash characters (yes, really, not shocking), but it was a fun little thing to do... I won't say "science experiment" because I'm terrible at eyeballing stuff though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
It's made form some kind of thick polycarbonate. I have no fear of it bending or tearing, it's thick enough, but the book very much feels like one of these binders:

41ALEB56uSL._SY300_.jpg

My only worry is that the stitching form the pages will hold out. Overall, it feels more like a storage binder for the cards and not a collector's book like the EU Nintendo ones. It's a shame :/

Hmmm yeah I'm glad I cancelled my order and got the EU one. That is ummm not what I expected :/

I do like that the bag it comes in opens from the bottom and is able to be sealed again, gives a little extra protection if you want to keep your Series 1 in good shape. Also, album holds 112 cards total, so you can fit in the exclusive cards. There are 4 that I know of so far (the CP Shizue/Isabelle and the 3 amiibo Festival cards).

Thanks for the pics! Was curious to see some shots of it, just out of curiosity.
The EU one also has about 7 extra slots for bonus cards, so it works out for it, too. I doubt Series 1 will get anymore extras. The Isabelle card would be nice to see localized, though.

jmizzal

Regular Samus and Kirby are pretty much nowhere. I got mine used by calling gamestops over the US, and having them shipped to the gamestop near me. Can't get new anywhere for msrp!

Wow cant believe a popular character like Kirby isnt getting restocks, regular Samus must have stopped once it sold all of the original shipments, since no new Metroid games they prob arent in a rush to restock her.

Have not posted in a while because I was waiting for 2015 releases to be over.

Here you go all amiibo released so far.
(Yeah I know I'm THAT guy who keeps them in a box, mostly because I have no space to put them yet).

All EU, all payed msrp or less.

ZkdVPHW.png

JXx56rw.png

uP9VgXR.png

bWilhqN.png

u3FXuDS.png

NWicsj9.png

IVt9p84.png

m0To2rq.png

4OvAzYn.png

ZfhS9ng.png

Ljwlhoe.png

lFf7Qix.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Have not posted in a while because I was waiting for 2015 releases to be over.

Here you go all amiibo released so far.
(Yeah I know I'm THAT guy who keeps them in a box, mostly because I have no space to put them yet).

All EU, all payed msrp or less.

*amazing photos*

We're not worthy!

That is an amazing collection, Dutch Slayer! Do you have first print everything or are some reprints?

I suck at amiibo collection envy, every iota of my being went "That's a kitty!" and then started baby talk mode. Kitty...

^Holy crap that is awesome

Wow. Good photos.

Well damn 0_o

Awesome collection B^)

We're not worthy!
Thanks all I really appreciate the awesome support! :D
I wish I could post here most often but just don't have that much time for all the thread I wish to keep up with :(
That is an amazing collection, Dutch Slayer! Do you have first print everything or are some reprints?
All first prints.

There are TONS of modern color 8-bit Mario at my local Walmart. I had no idea the standalone was here already. And I just imported a couple of weeks ago........ Oh well.

Have we had any news on Timmy & Tommy Nook and the rest of the AC amiibos? It's killing me.

In NA? 1/22 for Series 2 Cards and the first four amiibo for the Series 2 figures (Blathers, Celeste, Kicks, and Resetti), Nooklings is Target exclusive, no date yet. Going by Lottie, possibly a week later and they won't be easy to find at first, although abundant in supply? (Unless Target gets their exclusive amiibo act together.) Or they are part of Animal Crossing Wave 2b.

Individual Isabelle: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...-figure-release-coming-soon-to-north-america/

Series 2 Figures & Cards: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...oming-in-january-to-north-america-and-europe/

Nooklings, Rover & Kapp'n leak: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...ailer-displays-including-duo-timmy-and-tommy/

finalflame

In NA? 1/22 for Series 2 Cards and the first four amiibo for the Series 2 figures (Blathers, Celeste, Kicks, and Resetti), Nooklings is Target exclusive, no date yet. Going by Lottie, possibly a week later and they won't be easy to find at first, although abundant in supply? (Unless Target gets their exclusive amiibo act together.) Or they are part of Animal Crossing Wave 2b.

Individual Isabelle: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...-figure-release-coming-soon-to-north-america/

Series 2 Figures & Cards: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...oming-in-january-to-north-america-and-europe/

Nooklings, Rover & Kapp'n leak: http://animalcrossingworld.com/2015...ailer-displays-including-duo-timmy-and-tommy/

Thanks! I had a super easy time getting Lottie. Was at my Target at open and nobody was there for her but me. Just wanna get the details on when Timmy/Tommy, Rover, and Kappn gonna come around. Hopefully they won't be ninja-announced for some kind of retailer exclusive and sell out. Perhaps those days are gone now.

Also, I completed my Series 1 card collection, but don't get Series 2. They seem to be a lot of the same characters, what's the point?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like in M&L Paper Jam, there's special "Sparkle" cards that can only be obtained if you own 2 versions of the same character, i.e. the Smash Bros. version & the Super Mario version of someone. Probably will only be able to get one for Mario considering Dr. Mario & 8-bit Mario will probably be the same.

HardRojo

A friend who's in the US right now got me a Little Mac amiibo :D I'll have it next week. I need to start getting the commons I'm still missing.

Velcro Fly

Looks like in M&L Paper Jam, there's special "Sparkle" cards that can only be obtained if you own 2 versions of the same character, i.e. the Smash Bros. version & the Super Mario version of someone. Probably will only be able to get one for Mario considering Dr. Mario & 8-bit Mario will probably be the same.

I feel like this is done more to make sure that as long as you have two compatible amiibo you get something cool and can make something. I don't think it's some sinister ploy to get you to buy amiibo.

I think writing to the amiibo itself is way worse but I hardly ever train an amiibo up in smash so it doesn't matter much.

What the hell?! I thought Digby was supposed to only be available with Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival. But it looks like Nintendo filed a CPSIA certificate for him? I'm so confused.

you're confusing digby for Isabelle

Look at the amiibo lineup pages for Digby and Isabelle. They both say "exclusive to AC Amiibo Festival AT LAUNCH." A true surprise would be Nintendo doing KK Slider alone since he's "exclusive to the AC 3-Pack."

Zalman

Isabelle and Digby will obviously be available separately at some point. Those figures will be relevant and used far longer than amiibo Festival.

Also, I completed my Series 1 card collection, but don't get Series 2. They seem to be a lot of the same characters, what's the point?

2/100 cards in Series 2 are alternate versions of the Series 1 characters, but every other card is unique. They're mostly for Happy Home Designer, Animal Crossing fans in general and (maybe something in the future but don't hold your breath). I'm still playing HHD in small spurts every couple of weeks, so I will unlock everything eventually (but you need the SP cards for that). As for "the point", we're talking amiibo here. There isn't any point other than "I had room in my budget and these make me happy to have/use/collect". I hopped on the amiibo and cards in earnest since official merchandise for Animal Crossing is fairly rare in NA.

Of course the NA card catalogue sucks, here's the Japanese one:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/edhj/sp/amiibocard/index2.html

I don't own a Wii U either. I just traded it in and picked up Happy Home Designer lol

You have chosen... wisely.

I have a Wii U and sometimes do a round of board game mode with my teen or guests (more like watch them play while I make dinner). It isn't any different than playing any other board game, with extra cuteness. Solo play is all about Desert Island, but I'm a sucker and couldn't say no to those precious amiibo faces.

finalflame

2/100 cards in Series 2 are alternate versions of the Series 1 characters, but every other card is unique. They're mostly for Happy Home Designer, Animal Crossing fans in general and (maybe something in the future but don't hold your breath). I'm still playing HHD in small spurts every couple of weeks, so I will unlock everything eventually (but you need the SP cards for that). As for "the point", we're talking amiibo here. There isn't any point other than "I had room in my budget and these make me happy to have/use/collect". I hopped on the amiibo and cards in earnest since official merchandise for Animal Crossing is fairly rare in NA.

Oh of course, I loved collecting Series 1 and own HHD. I've played about ~5 hours of it and actually quite enjoy it for a bit at a time (which I imagine is how Nintendo intended for it to be played). I just saw Series 2 cards that looked like the same characters as Series 1 and was confused, hoping we'd instead get new characters. I'm definitely in for collecting them, though. Really do wish we got the JP/EU album instead of ... no album at all. Or the crappy HORI binder.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
A few months ago, the fact that we're getting a Ryu amiibo due to his appearance in Smash had my head spinning in disbelief. Now I realize we'll eventually get a Cloud amiibo and I can't even begin to think how that happened. What a time to be alive.

Don't forget K. Rool!

Sakurai pls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom