• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Thread 7 | Now Lucina, now you don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't taken a case and plastered the Smash logo on one side, Sakurai's face on the other, and sold it for a hefty profit.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Also Diggeh, you should update the Shovel Knight date in the OP graphic!

are you telling me how to dig it Thoraxes

are you

ARE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU

Completely slipped my mind in the holiday rush! How ironic that I would forget to update Shovel Knight! I definitely dig it now!

I never went past Wave 4/Splatoon, feels good.

image.php

Something tells me that won't last long.

zroid

Banned
Cloud isn't among my fave FF characters by a long shot, but just the sheer lunacy of an FF amiibo means I have to buy it.

probably going to pass on Ryu though, love him in Smash but not a big Street Fighter fan

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Got my Shovel Knight amiibo in the mail.
Super disappointed, from a manufacturing pow it is by far the worst amiibo I've ever seen, it's so bad I thought I must've been unlucky and decided to replace him so I went to a couple stores (Gamestop and Mediaworld) to check and low snd behold my disbelief I saw that each and every one of 5 Amiibos they had in stock in fact had all the same problems: color bleeding (especially the yellow) and the details of the armature were all smudged and fucked up.

Did you guys witness anything similar or it is maybe a low grade print run which somehow has flooded my city's stores?

ChrisD

Super disappointed, from a manufacturing pow it is by far the worst amiibo I've ever seen, it's so bad I thought I must've been unlucky and decided to replace him so I went to a couple stores (Gamestop and Mediaworld) to check and low snd behold my disbelief I saw that each and every one of 5 Amiibos they had in stock in fact had all the same problems: color bleeding (especially the yellow) and the details of the armature were all smudged and fucked up.

Did you guys witness anything similar or it is maybe a low grade print run which somehow has flooded my city's stores?

...How do you screw up something so simple as Shovel Knight?

Ugh. Guess I may not need him.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I'm still getting it but this does have me worried :/ When I saw the figure at PAX at Yact's Club's booth it looked great! I mean, it's a basic design to begin with. Let's hope they fix them in the future batches :/

Marvie_3

Banned

Thats disappointing. Hopefully its only a certain batch of them.

I think it's due to the fact that Shovel Knight's amiibo is manufactured by the Disney Infinity production line, and not Nintendo's amiibo setup.

http://nintendoeverything.com/shovel-knight-amiibo-will-be-produced-at-the-same-factory-as-disney-infinity-figures/

Disney Infinity was always more simplistic in design because the toy designs usually came first, and that meant high quality figures. I know he looks simple but perhaps Shovel Knight's model had some complexity to it that didn't quite translate well into the manufacturing process.

Shoyz

Why did they make the second Player Fire Emblem Character default to male after we got Male Robin? Male Corrin looks like a girl anyways.

Guess it's time to give up on Neku being added (with a TWEWY2 announcement). cry

Hopefully they port all of Smash 4 to NX (as 'Smash Bros for NX') and only make amiibo of any newcomers, the thought of a Smash 5 line from scratch is about the only thing that'd stop me from collecting amiibo.

Acid08

Banned
Hey everyone! I have an extra Lucas pre-ordered on AmiAmi that I'd like to pass off to someone if they're interested! The total is 2510 yen w/ EMS shipping, ~$20 US. PM me if you're interested!

Sorry in advance if this type of thing isn't allowed here. Let me know and I'll edit the post out.

Drat! i just got shovel knight for 3ds thinking about that amiibo... sad to see it's not great quality.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Drat! i just got shovel knight for 3ds thinking about that amiibo... sad to see it's not great quality.

A friend of mine came visit me and didn't notice anything bad until I actually pointed out the poor paintjob on certain parts of the figure to him and even then he said it looked good and was happy to go get one, so YMMV?
I'm really disappointed but maybe I'm super anal about this.

Thats disappointing. Hopefully its only a certain batch of them.

This might also be it, hopefully it's like that and I can get a better one in the future or when the sort it out.

Hold your horses, I don't wanna give a kiss of death on Yacht Club's amiibo line (heard others might be coming if this sells well? I'd love a Plague Knight amiibo or if an "indie heroes" line were to be made a Commander Video... or Shantae!) I was so happy when they decided to go for it and make SK themselves, maybe not all of them have problems?

I think it's due to the fact that Shovel Knight's amiibo is manufactured by the Disney Infinity production line, and not Nintendo's amiibo setup.

http://nintendoeverything.com/shovel-knight-amiibo-will-be-produced-at-the-same-factory-as-disney-infinity-figures/

Oh wow, this is very interesting. I do not own DI figures tho, so I can't say if they're usually affected by the same problems having only watched them on retail shelves without inspecting them like I do when I buy an Amiibo to get the "best" one.

Maybe I should just post a few pics.

Velcro Fly

Yeah can't add to cart

So much for making enough of them Yacht Club! I bought your game TWICE and I can't even get an amiibo with it

lol though they delay it NA and say there will be no stock problems and it sells out at Best Buy in like two hours. Definitely not going into a store on release day to find one either. Guess I'll import if they are available elsewhere.

Velcro Fly

I tweeted at Yacht Club and they said it wasn't a limited run so I'm guessing regular restocks will happen. I think we already knew that but I was feeling salty this evening since the only reason I missed it was taking my parents out to dinner =/

The_Kid

So I just got a Detalf cabinet from Ikea. Does anyone know of any good steps or clear risers to display and space the amiibos out? I really want them to look nice.

kirby_fox

Banned
So with the last of the characters announced for Smash and thus the Smash line being finished in the coming year...I need to get figures of some cut characters or find a way to make some custom ones.

Anyone have an idea of how one might go about that with very little artistic skills beyond Photoshop? Looking into 3D printing it seems that I'll have to buy one since there aren't companies that do personal stuff (not that I can find at least).

And while the Pokemon all have figures, and I found one for Young Link- there's absolutely no merchandise for Ice Climbers. Not a big fan of some of the customs I found on Etsy either- for the price people want a lot of them are rough looking customs. I'm not 100% against custom amiibos, but I'd rather make them myself.

G0523

And while the Pokemon all have figures, and I found one for Young Link- there's absolutely no merchandise for Ice Climbers. Not a big fan of some of the customs I found on Etsy either- for the price people want a lot of them are rough looking customs. I'm not 100% against custom amiibos, but I'd rather make them myself.

I would probably wait until the Timmy & Tommy amiibo from Animal Crossing comes out since I think that will be your best bet to turn that figure into an Ice Climbers custom one.

Anime

Neo Member
So with the last of the characters announced for Smash and thus the Smash line being finished in the coming year...I need to get figures of some cut characters or find a way to make some custom ones.

Anyone have an idea of how one might go about that with very little artistic skills beyond Photoshop? Looking into 3D printing it seems that I'll have to buy one since there aren't companies that do personal stuff (not that I can find at least).

Do you by chance live near a microcenter? i hear most of them are recieving 3d printers in store allowing you to 3d print as long as you have the schematics.Im thinking of giving it a try myself.

Just wanted to show my appreciation for the thread. I don't use it much these days since Amiibo are, mostly, much easier to get now, but back in January I used it a lot when we all spent days sitting and waiting for stores to come up online during wave 2 & 3. I was just a lurker as my account just finally got approved after about 2 years of waiting, so I couldn't participate back then. So yeah, thanks guys, and thanks Diggeh for best OP!

I've got all of the Smash line now, except for Lucina, the Mario line, Chibi-robo, the two classic Marios and the Splatoon trio. I decided not to bother with the Animal Crossing ones. I spent most of last years discretionary income on these things and I'm also already running out of space for these things. Hard to stop though (yes, I ordered a gold Mega Man...).

And yes. I spent more than one cold morning waiting outside in front of stores. It was -10 when I got my Meta Knight. Here's to an amiibo-filled holiday! Cheers!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to show my appreciation for the thread. I don't use it much these days since Amiibo are, mostly, much easier to get now, but back in January I used it a lot when we all spent days sitting and waiting for stores to come up online during wave 2 & 3. I was just a lurker as my account just finally got approved after about 2 years of waiting, so I couldn't participate back then. So yeah, thanks guys, and thanks Diggeh for best OP!

I've got all of the Smash line now, except for Lucina, the Mario line, Chibi-robo, the two classic Marios and the Splatoon trio. I decided not to bother with the Animal Crossing ones. I spent most of last years discretionary income on these things and I'm also already running out of space for these things. Hard to stop though (yes, I ordered a gold Mega Man...).

And yes. I spent more than one cold morning waiting outside in front of stores. It was -10 when I got my Meta Knight. Here's to an amiibo-filled holiday! Cheers!

Thanks! Don't forget to stop by from time to time! I'll be updating the darn OT forever.

Guys how do I stop buying amiibos.

I can't stop.

I don't have enough money to afford to do this.

Plz help.

WmnuDxf.gif

HardRojo

Finally got my Little Mac amiibo. A friend came back from the US and got me one :D Now I need to track down the last rares I'm missing (Palutena, Pit, WFT and Meta Knight) and I can start getting the common ones with no pressure.

kirby_fox

Banned
I would probably wait until the Timmy & Tommy amiibo from Animal Crossing comes out since I think that will be your best bet to turn that figure into an Ice Climbers custom one.

I'm more curious how some of these are done. I can't seem to find how the more complex ones are made, what materials they use, etc. I saw some of them saying they used 3D printers for some of them- but no word on if they used clay or other materials I don't know about to make some of these items.

Do you by chance live near a microcenter? i hear most of them are recieving 3d printers in store allowing you to 3d print as long as you have the schematics.Im thinking of giving it a try myself.

I do, but I was unaware they were printing things for the public. I actually accidentally stumbled upon someone's schematics for Ice Climbers and Wolf, but they seemed a bit polygonal and rough looking.

Edit: And after waiting 20 minutes, they do not do public printing...

Would be curious how sophisticated their machines are, as in- how well they could build something like an amiibo and at what costs.

Velcro Fly

My dream is to get about 120 Mega Man amiibo and make robot master and Mega Man palette swap customs to match them

But that would be ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom