• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Starting at £420? Are they serious? You can already get a Note 3 at that price range. Or Z2, even cheaper at around £370. And that’s with 3200mah batt, microsd and water resistance lol. I’d love to see Moto shills spin that :-D Right now, you can even get a G3 directly from Amazon UK for around £416.

They really need to get the X on with some carriers. I guess the Moto G seemingly doing well (in that you see it advertised/sold) hasn't stretched to the rest of Moto, which is a shame.

thespot84

Wait for other reviews.. that Italian gadget blog that had the leak earlier said their moto 360 lasted 2.5 days on a charge.

It's possible that Joanna got a bad unit or something.

We'll see if others confirm the battery life issues and what the response is.

Unless you were put off by something other than the battery life claims, of course.

quoting for new page...

What's the most successful smartphone with smallest advertisement budget?

I know outside of the US, its going to be a low end phone like Hongmi or something, but for the US, I am drawing a blank. Can you even sell a model without huge ad budget in the US?

Volotaire

Well the Moto G was more expensive than I thought for a temporary phone, relative to a budget Windows phone (even in used cases).

And by most accounts, the original Moto X flopped, and saw almost constant price slashing to move inventory. I'm not sure how you would know the intentions of the people who post complaints or criticisms about the phone. I also think you are taking this just a bit too seriously. It's just a phone after all.

For me, I stayed up until 2AM just to see what it was going to be, as I liked the concepts behind the original X but felt it was overpriced for what it delivered. I see that, again, Motorola is aiming for a niche in the market that I just don't think exists.

It exists alright, just not as big as Motorola hoped :-D Niche is basically all about morons with absolutely no sense of value proposition.

Sky Chief

I cannot justify buying a smartwatch regardless of design with less than 24 hours of battery life. 48+ and a good design and it becomes an instabuy.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not being able to reload in Chrome without opening the menu is bullshit. Why would they do this? Space concerns? I don't need to see that much of the URL at all times. Please bring the reload button back, or at least make it an option.

SimleuqiR

Not being able to reload in Chrome without opening the menu is bullshit. Why would they do this? Space concerns? I don't need to see that much of the URL at all times. Please bring the reload button back, or at least make it an option.

It's adaptive design.
On my Nexus 7 both the reload button and arrows show up next to the URL bar.

thespot84

Can't these watches be solar powered in any way?

the solar constant is 2000 watts per m^2 from the sun. assume 5v because all these devices tend to charge at 5v

The website claims that the battery lasts 'all day' (assume 18 hrs) with mixed use, and has a 320mAh battery.

At a surface area of the face of 21mm^2*pi (.00138474 m^2), you'd receive 2000*.00138474 watts or 2.77 watts to the face. The very best thin film PVs run ~20% efficiency (and now the watch costs $15,000). so now you get .554 watts from the PV, at 5 volts is .11 A, or 110mA, or 1900mAh for a full day.

So assuming 18 hours of clear skies, the watch face always facing the sun, thin film PVs at peak research efficiency that somehow absorb the incoming light but let the watch display pass through, and mixed use, yeah it could work.

Doopliss

Just to make you feel better: They increased the address bar font size so you aren't actually seeing any more URL than before.

Prez

I'm about to order a 32GB Micro SD card. Which is more reliable: Sandisk Ultra or Samsung EVO? I'm only using it for music, so the speed difference isn't that important.

Motorola keeps bringing love to Brazil S2

The new Moto X is available starting today (black and white, bamboo and leather);

Moto Maker available next semester (!!!)

Same price as original Moto X. Smartphones are really expensive here, so when Motorola came last year with the X costing a lot* less then the others, they sold really well.

Moto G also sold and still sells a lot. You see loads of Moto Gs on the street/subways etc. Moto E is selling well too. They are dominating the mid-range and low-end markets here and are only behind Samesung in sales numbers.

*Even more if you compare the price with S4 and Z1 launch prices.

S4 and Z1 - R$2399 = USD1068
Moto X - R$1499 = USD667

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Skipping Moto 360 and staying strong. It's disappointing but I expected it to be. There's still more work to be done on these wearable. Wait for Apple to show their hand. You might not buy the Apple device but other Android manufacturers will take the best of it and incorporate it into their stuff.

Loooooooool did you just tell me to breathe? Sorry buddy but I didn't take any offense to that. The most sensitive poster in this thread telling me to take a breather is just haha.

You seem sensitive to it since you have to let me know that you aren't. Chill. Again. It was a joke.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's adaptive design.
On my Nexus 7 both the reload button and arrows show up next to the URL bar.

I don't even see it in landscape. Just a massive URL field. Not very adaptive. And even in portrait there's plenty of space to still have the button there. The URL field goes full width when you tap in it anyway.

In terms of looks, the Gear S doesn't look that bad.

EXpSzhi.jpg

1yR1VRa.jpg

It just needs to be thinner.

TTOOLL

Submarino Conversível;128616092 said:
Motorola keeps bringing love to Brazil S2

The new Moto X is available starting today (black and white, bamboo and leather);

Moto Maker available next semester (!!!)

Same price as original Moto X. Smartphones are really expensive here, so when Motorola came last year with the X costing a lot* less then the others, they sold really well.

Moto G also sold and still sells a lot. You see loads of Moto Gs on the street/subways etc. Moto E is selling well too. They are dominating the mid-range and low-end markets here and are only behind Samesung in sales numbers.

*Even more if you compare the price with S4 and Z1 launch prices.

S4 and Z1 - R$2399 = USD1068
Moto X - R$1499 = USD667

Yep, and I will support them selling my ZQ and buying the new X =D

HawkeyeIC

Skipping Moto 360 and staying strong. It's disappointing but I expected it to be. There's still more work to be done on these wearable. Wait for Apple to show their hand. You might not buy the Apple device but other Android manufacturers will take the best of it and incorporate it into their stuff.

Battery life should see an improvement from Gen 1 to Gen 2 (my biggest reason for not getting anything now). Android Wear will be a much better software platform in a year as well.

Furyous

The amount of battery life is in the name already.
3+6+0=9!
Even 2+7+0=9!
THEY KNEW

This counts as quick math.

I cannot justify buying a smartwatch regardless of design with less than 24 hours of battery life. 48+ and a good design and it becomes an instabuy.

I can't justify it because there's no use for one for me personally. What can a smart watch do that my phone can't do? With the asking price so steep, the device better have a 48+ hour battery life. FOH with less than 24 hours of battery life yet demanding over $100 for a WATCH. What was the Android OEM that gave free offers with their smartphone for customers? I need that treatment dammit.

So, is the new moto G still the best bang for the buck smartphone in the market??

I think the OPO offers better bang for your buck for the tech savy consumer. Everyone else should be fine with the Moto G or the next Nexus assuming it's a GPE G3 with a sub 5.3 inch screen and the same resolution.

Maiar_m

What about simply extending battery life?
Well, let's consider it: you'd need to add solar panels somewhere on the watch. Some are transparent, sure, but they're not common place and they are not the most efficient solar cells there are.

The most efficient solar cell available for NASA use today only get about 45% efficiency, they're large, opaque and extremely expensive. Think ISS expensive. Now imagine something transparent on a very small screen that needs to gather enough power to even sustain A BIT of battery life for a brightly light screen with touch capabilities (which involves power consumption as well). Imagine also the wiring and energy conversion unit needed to make energy from the solar cell charge the battery.

I guess the question is are you ready to buy a very thick, very large, very very expensive smartwatch for the sake of it being remotely solar powered?

Look, I'd love to be proven wrong, but when you spend a little time researching the solar cell teck as it is now, clearly, we're not yet there.

SimleuqiR

I don't even see it in landscape. Just a massive URL field. Not very adaptive. And even in portrait there's plenty of space to still have the button there. The URL field goes full width when you tap in it anyway.

Well, I guess there is a "Tablet" view. Maybe it can be enable on a phone?

HawkeyeIC

Beta users have been feeling the pain for a while. Worse, you used to just be able to hold and swipe down on the menu button to get to the refresh button (which really wasn't that much worse than just hitting an actual refresh button), but with the new menu animation, even that option is gone.

Quasar

Have to say I really am liking what I'm seeing of Moto X. Solved the technical gripes I would have had. Still a bit pricey for me as a person used to Nexus prices though.

phoenixyz

The fashion watch has been getting bigger in the last few years..

That's such a stupid trend. I can't pull of more than 40mm. I also don't wear my watch as a fashion accessory but as a time-telling-device and that's how I've done it most of my life. That's also why I would immensely enjoy a smartwatch which is as small as a regular (dress-)watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom