• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarus

Still have no desire to get a wearable, apple watch didn't blow my mind. I'm looking forward to seeing what android wear 2.0 offers, it's rumored to launch on october 15th.
Aesthetics wise, i still think the moto 360 looks the best.

Quasar

Still have no desire to get a wearable, apple watch didn't blow my mind. I'm looking forward to seeing what android wear 2.0 offers, it's rumored to launch on october 15th.

Yeah. Still have no desire for one. But then I never was a watch wearer, and other use cases (fitness/notifications) are not of intetest to me. Well ...watch as nfc payment device is nice. Not 1000$ or more nice though.

I hope that Wear 2.0 adds support for round displays. It would certainly help the Moto 360 and the G Watch R.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It boggles my mind how many people are gonna buy the iPhone 6+ when it's highway robbery at $299 and up on contract.

Boggles my fucking mind

I thought that was already supposed to be part of 1.0.

It is? Someone better tell Motorola, because I think they didn't get the memo.

uZjp4Ew.png

Peru

I am a watch wearer, which is part of the reason why I will never get a wearable. My wrist is for a mechanical watch only.

That's high for sure, but not totally comparable to buying a $300 phone on contract.

Considering that it will probably cost all of $500+ to get one that doesn't have a rubber sport band and looks decent enough to wear on a day to day basis, we're getting closer to being in the ballpark.

Groof

Thanks. I really didn't know that.

I hope developers have the little gap on the bottom in mind as well, when they code for Android Wear.

KU3Nh09.png
The gap is only there due to the hardware design of the moto360. The other round watch from LG is a full circle.

The gap is only there due to the hardware design of the moto360. The other round watch from LG is a full circle.

I know that, but the 360 is probably going to be one of the more popular Android Wear watches and cut off peek cards would be really annoying.

So anyway, with nothing of note left to be announced this year, it's safe to crown the king of 2014. Sam did it again!
I think the Apple Watch is great. It's not as groundbreaking as I hoped it would be, but it's still pretty nice. The Moto 270 looks nicer, though. Even still, everyone wins today. Apple has some good ideas and an interface that's much more thought out than a singular fucking Google Now notification.

I'm still waiting before boarding this wearable train.
Ok.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wouldn't mind trying out the new iphone for a year to see how things are on the other side, but $859 for the base model in Canada is fucking nuts. I'll never be able to justify that when I can get a nexus for $350.

mturco

Does anyone have a 360?

How is it?

Yup. It's great.

Good things: looks amazing, feels like quality hardware, fair price
Bad things: battery life compared to other Wear watches (though I still easily make it through the day), Wear needs a bit of work (but a big update is coming in October)

Still waiting on the metal band to make it perfect but I'm loving it so far.

Lets hope moto releases gen 2 in the next 2 months.

I know that's exaggerated, but I'm honestly hoping for a refresh at CES or MWC. That should be enough time to replace the battery and SoC. A completely round display with a higher resolution needs to be there in a year.

NotBacon

If I wanted a Moto X 2014 I'd keep my G2.

Your G2 shows the time and your notifications without touching it? And executes any GNow command in response to "Hey Jarvis" while the screen is off? And auto adjusts its ringer and actions based on your schedule? And shuts up when you wave over it?

Once you have these things, you can't go back to a normal phone...

no like installing the developer version?

Just wait another month

Cipherr

The best thing about wear is they all have stock software basically. So I can freely choose between whichever model I like the most next year and not have to worry about updates and shit.

Husker86

To be fair, Apple's security implementation for NFC payments seems great. Retailer gets no actual credit card information, including your name. It's something different, at least.

Argyle

Gizmodo headline: "Whoa, the Apple Watch Has Wireless Charging"

Guess they didn't pay attention to the 360 at all.

But it's not wireless, you still have to plug it into the wall!

/s, obviously

To be fair, Apple's security implementation for NFC payments seems great. Retailer gets no actual credit card information, including your name. It's something different, at least.

Isn't this more or less how Google Wallet works now? I think the only significant difference is that Apple generates a one-time credit card number, with Google Wallet it seems to use a virtual number that seems to be assigned per device, although I bet that if someone tried to charge something to that number without authorizing through the Wallet app (for example an attacker managed to get the virtual number by compromising the POS terminal), the transaction would be declined...

Toki767

Your G2 shows the time and your notifications without touching it? And executes any GNow command in response to "Hey Jarvis" while the screen is off? And auto adjusts its ringer and actions based on your schedule? And shuts up when you wave over it?

Once you have these things, you can't go back to a normal phone...

There are apps for those, yes, and saying OK Google does work for every screen. But I don't particularly care about waving my hand over my phone.

Cipherr

Isn't this more or less how Google Wallet works now? I think the only significant difference is that Apple generates a one-time credit card number, with Google Wallet it seems to use a virtual number that seems to be assigned per device, although I bet that if someone tried to charge something to that number without authorizing through the Wallet app (for example an attacker managed to get the virtual number by compromising the POS terminal), the transaction would be declined...

Yep. Only difference is GWallet uses a virtual number, very minor difference, equally as secure either way.

Fox318

I know that's exaggerated, but I'm honestly hoping for a refresh at CES or MWC. That should be enough time to replace the battery and SoC. A completely round display with a higher resolution needs to be there in a year.

Look at LG and samsungs turnaround

Hell Moto should have released the 360 in June

NotBacon

Moto said the old Moto X is getting some of the new X features, but the features are scattered on the old X and consolidated on the new One. Wonder how they're going to implement this...

Toki767

Moto said the old Moto X is getting some of the new X features, but the features are scattered on the old X and consolidated on the new One. Wonder how they're going to implement this...

The new active notifications will probably make it. The waving your hand over the phone thing probably won't.

NotBacon

There are apps for those, yes, and saying OK Google does work for every screen. But I don't particularly care about waving my hand over my phone.

- You can't say Ok Google or Hey Jarvis or Wake Up Dummy or Shoo Bop Shoo Bop, while your G2 is on the table with the screen off.

- You can't replicate glorious Moto Display without taking a massive battery hit.

- Waving my hand to shut up my alarm sounds amazing. No more fumbling half awake.
I haven't tried this one yet b/c it's on the new X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom