• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

The L dev preview took my N5's battery life from bad to pretty good. I've got faith it'll work the same, if not better for the X.

Still don't excuse Moto for the shit battery

NotBacon

Not even close.

Considering how quick Moto updates, he's probably......... sorta close

The L dev preview took my N5's battery life from bad to pretty good. I've got faith it'll work the same, if not better for the X.

Still don't excuse Moto for the shit battery

Yep and yep.

For me it's a "fuck you" to Moto, and a "take my money".
It's really close between the Z3 and X. By November everything should be settled and I'll have a clear choice I hope.

Averon

Sony's screwy mobile strategy finally bit them. Maybe the Z4 will be on more than one carrier and actually be available in NA on a timely manner.

Hasney

Sony's screwy mobile strategy finally bit them. Maybe the Z4 will be on more than one carrier and actually be available in NA on a timely manner.

I thought carriers just weren't carrying their phones often, regardless of their release schedule.

$252 ZTE ZMAX
Starting September 24, the ZTE ZMAX will be available at participating T-Mobile retail locations and online at T-Mobile.com for $0 down and $10.50 a month for 24 months on T-Mobile’s Equipment Installment Plan (EIP). MetroPCS will carry the device later this year.

ZTE ZMAX specifications:

Battery: 3400 mAh
Dimensions: 6.4” x 3.3” x 0.35”, 6.7 oz.
Display: 5.7" TFT LCD HD 1280 x 720
Memory: 16GB ROM, expandable to 32GB via micro SD
Network Compatibility: LTE, GSM
Operating System: Android KitKat 4.4
Processor: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 400 Quad Core with Adreno 305 GPU at 1.2 GHz
Camera: 8MP rear, 1.6MP front, 1080p video
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/zte-zmax.html

2GB RAM, NFC, BT 4.0, Dual Band Wifi, welcome to the new low-mid range.

Groof

Really dude?

Vzw motox KitKat Ota: November 2013
Vzw S4 KitKat Ota: May 2014
Vzw LG G2 KitKat Ota: April 2014
Why are you limiting the list to the two slowest OEMs on Verizon, the worst carrier?

If you look at the unlocked devices figures, the slowest was LG G2 with 4.6 months. The rest (HTC & Samsung's) were out within 3, with the HTC only taking a month. Yes, Motorola beats them all, but they're not as slow as you want everyone to believe.

Update-times.0012.jpg

The only problem with this chart is that it excludes Sony.

Gigglepoo

I'm getting a new phone in a month or two and can't quite decide which direction to go. My options: One M8, Galaxy S5, and Nexus 5. They all seem more or less identical. Any major advantages or problems I should be aware of?

devonodev

I just put in an order for a LG G3. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Will it seem like a big leap? Is there anything I can do on this phone that i can't on my current one.

BTW, Amazon has the G3 phone for 49.99 with a 2 year contract.

I need a case for it that has a built in screen protector like my old one from casemate.
This is the same upgrade I made. There's nothing revolutionary about it, but the whole experience is just so much nicer, with all the little things like battery, speed, and LGs skin. I'm enjoying the bigger screen too, the phone doesn't feel much larger in the hand.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm getting a new phone in a month or two and can't quite decide which direction to go. My options: One M8, Galaxy S5, and Nexus 5. They all seem more or less identical. Any major advantages or problems I should be aware of?

Nexus 6 will be out in a month or two so get that instead.

PaulLFC

Decided it was finally time to upgrade my Nexus 4, and although I wanted to wait for the Nexus 6 (or whatever they'll end up calling it), the Xperia Z3 is really, really tempting. I'm leaning towards choosing one of the Z3 models for my next phone - I'm just not sure which out of the Z3 or the Z3 Compact.

Looking at Sim-free prices (as my N4 was sim-free and I have a great-value sim deal) - currently the best prices I can find for pre-order are £495 for the Z3 (£550 with free '£90' headset from Sony), and £349 for the Z3 Compact (£425 from Sony).

I've cross-checked the specs and as far as I can see the differences are:

- 5.2" screen on the Z3 vs 4.6" screen on the Z3 Compact.
- Aluminium sides on the Z3 vs plastic (?) on the Z3 Compact.
- 3GB memory on the Z3 vs 2GB on the Z3 Compact.
- Edit: and 1080p (Z3) vs 720p (Z3 Compact) of course. Not sure how I forgot that.

It's a really tough decision. On the one hand, I don't really think those features justify an extra £150-£200, unless there are some other added features I'm missing?

On the other hand, the N4 is 4.7", and while I love the screen size, I'd find 'downgrading' the screen size on a phone upgrade hard to justify to myself. Silly, I know. Also the extra memory would be nice if it's likely to make a difference in the future. Also the screen res bump could be nice, I was wary of buying the LG G3 or similar with its over 1080p resolution, but 1080p would be a nice upgrade on the N4.

For anyone else looking at a Z3 phone, which model are you going with?

Jigolo

Who knows if sonys mobile division will still be around (in its current state) in a year.

It's Sony vs HTC to see who will go down first

They'ed be more successful if they had (close) simultaneous WW launches. More so here in the US if they launch on all 4 carriers.

How does carrier exclusivity work exactly? Are carrier paying the OEM large sums of money to only make phones available on their network?

Why are you limiting the list to the two slowest OEMs on Verizon, the worst carrier?

If you look at the unlocked devices figures, the slowest was LG G2 with 4.6 months. The rest (HTC & Samsung's) were out within 3, with the HTC only taking a month. Yes, Motorola beats them all, but they're not as slow as you want everyone to believe.

The only problem with this chart is that it excludes Sony.

Your chart only includes 1 oem that mine didn't. Nexus doesn't count for obvious reasons. VZW is the most popular carrier and Moto had to deal with VZW with their November OTA too...
You are really grasping for straws. The ONLY oem that is good at getting fast updates is Motorola. With the rest its just a blind waiting game and this is a proven fact.

Edit: I would give HTC some credit if you know anything about their track record you would feel very uncertain about the M7 ever getting android L. M8 will be the only one.

Why does sony keep doing this? Announce phone... then go totally silent on release plans. Makes no sense...

Because the carriers control everything. Motorola is having the same problems.

Until you sell Apple level or even Samsung level you have no control over what these carriers want to do and when they want to do it.

mturco

Well Anandtech put up their Moto X 2014 review and, well, it's a dud through and through.

- Poor battery life
- Poor screen
- Mediocre camera

So that's a bummer.

67651.png

67650.png

67652.png

67654.png

67656.png

67658.png

"The camera is another issue. While Motorola has improved their camera dramatically from the original Moto X, the competition has moved on. Unfortunately, the camera disappoints when compared to some of the best in this generation."

If Android L truly improve the Moto X battery life then I'll probably choose that over the Z3. The education discount is great and the Z3 will mostly go for $800 unlocked. I don't have that kind of money to spend and I highly doubt Sony will lower the price.

The camera is another unfortunate compromise I will have to make with the X :/. Everything else looks amazing on the Moto X.

Groof

Your chart only includes 1 oem that mine didn't. Nexus doesn't count for obvious reasons. VZW is the most popular carrier and Moto had to deal with VZW with their November OTA too...
You are really grasping for straws. The ONLY oem that is good at getting fast updates is Motorola. With the rest its just a blind waiting game and this is a proven fact.

Edit: I would give HTC some credit if you know anything about their track record you would feel very uncertain about the M7 ever getting android L. M8 will be the only one.

Sure. But you're hiding facts and trying to spread misinformation just to prove your nonexistent point.

Hell, even Verizon wasn't so bad with the KitKat update, for the previously mentioned devices they had them out in almost 4 months stat.

Nobody is arguing that Moto is bad with updates. But stop trying to be misleading.

reKon

Banned
If Android L truly improve the Moto X battery life then I'll probably choose that over the Z3. The education discount is great and the Z3 will mostly go for $800 unlocked. I don't have that kind of money to spend and I highly doubt Sony will lower the price.

The camera is another unfortunate compromise I will have to make with the X :/. Everything else looks amazing on the Moto X.

The Z2 went down in price. On the US website it's selling unlocked for $580. You can find it cheaper at other places. You just have to wait (just like every other smart phone). Right now you can import the Z3 Compact for around $500 USD. I think I'm about to pull the trigger today or the new few days on this. I just can't see the Nexus 6 offering me anything that will truly impressive me other than the design or the performance on stock android. Based on how the past 3-4 Nexus releases went, the battery will be smaller in comparison to flagships and the camera will be OK to decent, but not great. Even though I'll only have 16GB on the phone internally, I don't think this will be an issue anymore because Google Music lets you save cache on the SD card now and I don't play a ton of games on the smaller size. That's what my tablet will be for, especially when I'm traveling.

I might sell my OPO and get a Z3C unlocked. Here's hoping the Sony store will have it in stock in a timely fashion.
lol yea rite

Just buy it from Clove or Handtec. I checked the price at Handtec and it came out to 301 pounds, which will be about $500. The only thing is that you'll get a UK charger (which I need anyways for when I travel, I have plenty of US chargers).

The Z2 went down in price. On the US website it's selling unlocked for $580. You can find it cheaper at other places. You just have to wait (just like every other smart phone). Right now you can import the Z3 Compact for around $500 USD. I think I'm about to pull the trigger today or the new few days on this. I just can't see the Nexus 6 offering me anything that will truly impressive me other than the design or the performance on stock android. Based on how the past 3-4 Nexus releases went, the battery will be smaller in comparison to flagships and the camera will be OK to decent, but not great. Even though I'll only have 16GB on the phone internally, I don't think this will be an issue anymore because Google Music lets you save cache on the SD card now and I don't play a ton of games on the smaller size. That's what my tablet will be for, especially when I'm traveling.

Just buy it from Clove or Handtec. I checked the price at Handtec and it came out to 301 pounds, which will be about $500. The only thing is that you'll get a UK charger (which I need anyways for when I travel, I have plenty of US chargers).
I need a new phone by January and I don't want the Z3c, as good as it is, I'm looking at the Z3. Perhaps I will be working the next time the Z4 comes out so I'll jump on that. I feel like a kid again when I was trying to choose between the PS3 and 360. The Z3 really looks like it matches my needs.

SimleuqiR

If it is really going to be made by Moto, then lol.

I've been clamoring for a Sony Nexus device since the Nexus One. They were the first OEM Google approved and they turned down Google like some fat chick.

I wonder where Sony would be now if they had made the original Nexus One?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This really does not bode well for the Nexus 6. G2 was great hardware and the Nexus 5 was a quality drop from that in battery and camera. Starting with a Moto X and getting worse battery and camera would be horrible.
Current Nexus 5 is already better than X. I'm not worried for the new N5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom