• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are we legit saying 'i dont want stock Android because the Nexus camera sucks and battery life sucks' to justify purchasing a phone with a marginally better camera and battery?

halfway crooks should just stop the madness and get the Samsung.

Cipherr

So which phone do you own that gets fast ota's and great battery life?

Right now Im looking mightily screwed. I wanted to go from my Nexus to the MotoX2 . Was praying it would tick all those boxes, but its now looking like Im going to have to go without one of those desires met unless Google pulls their head out of their ass and puts a real battery in the next Nexus.

If not, Im fucked and will probably go Z3 and let go of vanilla Android in exchange for battery life and pray to the gods Sony fucking updates their shit quickly.

Altazor

All this Moto X vs Nexus debate doesn't apply to me... the Nexus line isn't sold around here (Chile) and importing one is really expensive. So for a Stock experience it's either buying a Moto G/X or installing a custom ROM that's as close as stock in any other phone.

And it's a damn shame, because I'd like a Nexus phone. And I can't buy one :(

jokkir

GymTQOg.jpg

LG G Watch end of the day battery. I left my house around 1:15PM and got home around 10:30PM. I would say this was moderate to heavy usage (checking constantly for new notifications, showing it off to friends so that included voice chat, and general playing around with it).

Pretty good actually. My phone died way before it and had to recharge it.

Toki767

I will laugh in your face when we are all still plugging in our phones every night. Yet I have kickass hardware AND android L and you are waiting until this spring for it on your Sony's, Samsung's, LGs, and HTCs.

All the software tweaks in the world are not going to make a 2300 mAh battery last longer than a 3000 mAh battery. Software tweaks will let the 3000 mAh battery last more than a day comfortably. So no, most of us probably won't be plugging in our phones every night when Sony/Samsung/LG/HTC update to Android L.

Mr.Mike

I don't know why I'd ever get out of the habit of plugging in my phone every night anyway. I'd like to keep my battery as full as possible, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

PriitV

I don't know why I'd ever get out of the habit of plugging in my phone every night anyway. I'd like to keep my battery as full as possible, but maybe I'm just paranoid.
Not paranoid, it's smart. Why not charge every day if it's convenient and already a habit?

All the software tweaks in the world are not going to make a 2300 mAh battery last longer than a 3000 mAh battery. Software tweaks will let the 3000 mAh battery last more than a day comfortably. So no, most of us probably won't be plugging in our phones every night when Sony/Samsung/LG/HTC update to Android L.

Im not saying software tweaks will help battery life that was someone else. I'm saying I will have android L when you won't.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, I'd go with better battery life throughout the life of my phone rather than an update I'll have sooner or later.

I love the fools in this thread who are hating on the moto so much because of one shitty battery life story. Its like you can't comprehend why a user would actually want a phone that is legit android... Ya know? The reason we are here.

The best part is the ones hating and saying they will get a nexus instead. Guess what! nexus devices have always had the WORST battery life not to mention the cheapest hardware. Good luck getting a GPS to lock in a decent amount of time on a nexus. I dropped a nexus 5 in a heart beat for a 2013 moto x and never left looked back. The camera, battety , GPS all kicked the shit out of my N5.

I will laugh in your face when we are all still plugging in our phones every night. Yet I have kickass hardware AND android L and you are waiting until this spring for it on your Sony's, Samsung's, LGs, and HTCs.

You seem to get more and more hyperbolic with every post. It is a phone. Nothing more. We get it, you realllllllly like the Moto X. Why do you feel the need to constantly attack anyone who chooses a different phone?

NotBacon

IPhone 6 battery will probably be around 2300. And I bet you it will last longer than the G3...

Edit: and if you're not plugging in your phone every night, you're doing it wrong

gcubed

IPhone 6 battery will probably be around 2300. And I bet you it will last longer than the G3...

Edit: and if you're not plugging in your phone every night, you're doing it wrong

This is in the alternate reality where iphones have good battery life

terrier

I love the fools in this thread who are hating on the moto so much because of one shitty battery life story. Its like you can't comprehend why a user would actually want a phone that is legit android... Ya know? The reason we are here.

The best part is the ones hating and saying they will get a nexus instead. Guess what! nexus devices have always had the WORST battery life not to mention the cheapest hardware. Good luck getting a GPS to lock in a decent amount of time on a nexus. I dropped a nexus 5 in a heart beat for a 2013 moto x and never left looked back. The camera, battety , GPS all kicked the shit out of my N5.

I've never hated on Moto X , but you seem to do the same but against Nexus devices. Please, understand what you said is just untrue. Unless my Nexus5 is unique. I get a decent battery life, much better than previous phones i owned btw, my gps works fine, and camera is good, not outstanding, much better than previous Xperia T with 13 MP exmor sensor. On top of that it is a beautiful device that runs smooth all the time. For 350€. The only phone that would make me change my N5 would be a Z3 or a nexus 6 that improved battery or camera by a noticeable margin.

edit: in fact in those gsmaren endurance tests i gets slightly better results than moto X (not 2014 obviously with more efficient 801 soc)

Furyous

I guess you missed the part where every iPhone user ever has complained about their battery giving up mid day
It's the Moto 360 of phones

No, every iphone user, WE, have not complained about our battery life giving up. Don't take my word but holla at these facts:

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-iphone-5s-battery-test/

It's among the best smartphones with battery life released that year. You're entitled to your own opinion but we have data now available for review. Dude said the Moto 360 of phones. Show me an iphone with a 320 mah battery. It's laughable to compare a smartwatch panned for poor battery with a smartphone that outperforms contemporaries with better specs.

The Moto X is a solid phone.

Groof

No, every iphone user, WE, have not complained about our battery life giving up. Don't take my word but holla at these facts:

gsmarena_002.jpg

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-iphone-5s-battery-test/

It's among the best smartphones with battery life released that year. You're entitled to your own opinion but we have data now available for review. Dude said the Moto 360 of phones. Show me an iphone with a 320 mah battery. It's laughable to compare a smartwatch panned for poor battery with a smartphone that outperforms contemporaries with better specs.

The Moto X is a solid phone.
Seems like the analogy went straight over your head.
I've heard and read many, albeit anecdotal, reports of poor iPhone battery life. Every phone lasts longer or shorter depending on the person, so no fact is ever going to be 100% accurate. Good benchmark though.

mclem

Right, I have a specific app need which I think should be possible *on paper* but I've no idea if it's ever been implemented:

I need, basically, a walkie-talkie; speak in one device, and it comes out of the other. But there's one crucial caveat: I want it to do so *only* using direct device-to-device networking, not being dependent on mobile internet or being connected to a common wifi hub.

And, just for good measure, being cross-platform between iOS and Android would be good, because while I might have an Android, I'm not entirely sure what the recieving handset would be.

If speech is asking too much, text might be viable.

(The ultimate goal: the ability to communicate between two cars on a long journey in a place where roaming is expensive)

Argyle

Right, I have a specific app need which I think should be possible *on paper* but I've no idea if it's ever been implemented:

I need, basically, a walkie-talkie; speak in one device, and it comes out of the other. But there's one crucial caveat: I want it to do so *only* using direct device-to-device networking, not being dependent on mobile internet or being connected to a common wifi hub.

And, just for good measure, being cross-platform between iOS and Android would be good, because while I might have an Android, I'm not entirely sure what the recieving handset would be.

If speech is asking too much, text might be viable.

(The ultimate goal: the ability to communicate between two cars on a long journey in a place where roaming is expensive)

Maybe not exactly what you want but...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...garden.com&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=button

And the nexus 5 was straight up WORSE

Edit: in fact you are wrong. My moto x camera is average. The nexus 5 camera was straight up trash.

Trash? Yawn. Seriously, leave the hyperbole for those other phone threads. Nexus 5 ain't the greatest camera, but particularly since the camera app update it's fine. And by fine I mean good.

Yes it isn't as good as the very best (S5, Z series etc) but it's very serviceable particularly in good light. Like most mobile phone cameras it struggles in low light scenarios, but nobody has yet perfected that and they won't until finding some kind of way to massively increase the amount of light getting into a small camera sensor without sticking a lens the size of a DSLR on there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Trash? Yawn. Seriously, leave the hyperbole for those other phone threads. Nexus 5 ain't the greatest camera, but particularly since the camera app update it's fine. And by fine I mean good.

Yes it isn't as good as the very best (S5, Z series etc) but it's very serviceable particularly in good light. Like most mobile phone cameras it struggles in low light scenarios, but nobody has yet perfected that and they won't until finding some kind of way to massively increase the amount of light getting into a small camera sensor without sticking a lens the size of a DSLR on there.

Yeah, the N5 camera hate is ridiculously exaggerated. There are better cameras out there for sure, but it's certainly not "trash". It takes great pictures in good lighting, and serviceable ones otherwise. Overall it's perfectly acceptable, especially given the phone's unbeatable value.

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying. Anyway using fast charge on battery's is a bad idea. It lowers the charge capacity of the battery much faster then if you just charged it normally. So that crappy Moto X battery is going to die even faster sooner then if you just charged it normally.

Hey, that’s a very good point you brought up. Yup, fast charging may be appealing but there’s potential downsides in terms of battery longevity. Definitely something I’ll be wary of using day in day out. If there’s one thing you can be 100% sure of, it’s the fact that batteries have finite lifespans and will degrade over time. How soon you feel the effects of such degradation will depend on habits, but mostly, it’ll be a matter of dumb luck as to the quality of the batch you’re getting.

That's why removable batt is high on my list of priorities. Not just the fact that I’ve been bitten a few times, but over the last 15 years, I’ve seen enough battery woes from family and friends to realise it’s something I would rather have, given the choice. The convenience of being able to just swap on the go is one thing, but the prospect of not having to send it in, in case of defects by replacing it cheaply myself, is quite another.

Like it or not, battery manufacturing defects are fairly common and will keep happening time and again. Hell, just look at Apple, which supposedly prides itself on quality. Even they are not immune. It was only a few weeks ago I read they were issuing battery replacements for the iphone 5. And last Oct, it was the 5s I believe. I’m sure if we look back far enough, there are many such cases scattered everywhere over years. It’s something that might perhaps become even more prominent as the shift towards mobility continues.

You seem to get more and more hyperbolic with every post. It is a phone. Nothing more. We get it, you realllllllly like the Moto X. Why do you feel the need to constantly attack anyone who chooses a different phone?

Because people constantly make stupid posts saying they dont understand why people like the moto's?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Actually the M8 takes good low light photos, but that's because it uses those extra large pixels. Problem is because of this it sucks in every other area. :p

Hasney

Z3 8 hrs screen on time with 18% left O_O (remember this has a smaller mAh then Z2)

BxqLn-LCUAAeHqX.png

Damn. I thought they were bullshitting about that screen tech that only updates the areas that need updating, but it seems pretty legit if that picture is accurate.

Fucking pathetic. Sure the newer modem and better antennas helped boost the talk time, but that 1080p/5.2" display molested the fuck out of that measly battery. They think L is gonna make up for this trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY

It's gonna help, but it will also help every other phone. So they will still lag behind. Most OEM's get their updates out relatively quick now, right?

Also, considering this phone's biggest attractions are the always on, always listening features, you would think they would make sure people have enough juice for it.

edit: well at least Sony gets it. Well done once again.

Microsoft just released OneNote for Android Wear.

“OK Google, take a note—OneNote supports Android Wear”

"One of our primary goals is to help you capture ideas and information in new and innovative ways. Features like Quick Notes, Cortana, and Office Lens have made it easy to preserve those flashes of brilliance and today we’re adding Android Wear watches. Simply install the free OneNote for Android Wear app from the Play Store and start dictating notes to your heart’s desire."

http://blogs.office.com/2014/09/16/ok-google-take-note-onenote-supports-android-wear/

Volotaire

Microsoft just released OneNote for Android Wear.

“OK Google, take a note—OneNote supports Android Wear”

"One of our primary goals is to help you capture ideas and information in new and innovative ways. Features like Quick Notes, Cortana, and Office Lens have made it easy to preserve those flashes of brilliance and today we’re adding Android Wear watches. Simply install the free OneNote for Android Wear app from the Play Store and start dictating notes to your heart’s desire."

http://blogs.office.com/2014/09/16/ok-google-take-note-onenote-supports-android-wear/

That's actually... quite useful!

Yeah, 4.4.2 sucks complete ass for me. I'm probably going to do a full downgrade back to 4.3 because it's causing me too many problems. I'm going to wait for 4.4.4 or L before I go back up on my Verizon GS4.

With me going back to 4.3, will Kies and the OS have fits trying to copy over specific files and apps that were in 4.4.2 to 4.3 after the reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom