• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z3 8 hrs screen on time with 18% left O_O (remember this has a smaller mAh then Z2)

BxqLn-LCUAAeHqX.png

for clarification, is this the Z3 or the Z3C?

jesalr

How much of the Z3 battery is due to software? In that, were i to flash stock android l, would I likely get as good battery?

Not entirely sure I want to use the Sony skin

Hasney

Sony are claiming it's to do with some kind of screen tech with refreshing, so I'm not sure if that's controlled by software at all. If it is, you may not get battery life as good on a custom ROM.

Will probably have to wait until it's in more peoples hands to find that out though.

Toki767

Installing stock Android L is not going let you keep whatever software tweaks Sony made for the battery. Say goodbye to Stamina Mode.

I've noticed most stock devices have crap batter. So if stock = crap battery, I'd much rather have better battery and wait a month or 2 for an update.

NotBacon

Lol I could use the Moto X twice before my G3 battery dies.

It's easy to see why people like the Moto X. I for one don't get people like NotBacon who seem to think the Moto X is the greatest phone in the world.

Bro just take the damn pill.

Anyways, I'm probably getting the Z3, even though the bezels are ridiculous and it has a Sony skin.

Actually, when might the Z4 come out?.....

Fucking pathetic. Sure the newer modem and better antennas helped boost the talk time, but that 1080p/5.2" display molested the fuck out of that measly battery. They think L is gonna make up for this trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=409Pjtq7jzY

Hey guys look, someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about!

Talon

Seems like the analogy went straight over your head.
I've heard and read many, albeit anecdotal, reports of poor iPhone battery life. Every phone lasts longer or shorter depending on the person, so no fact is ever going to be 100% accurate. Good benchmark though.
Turns out, the more you use your device, the more power it uses. Shocking.

When'd you get junior'd?

malyce

Bro just take the damn pill.

Anyways, I'm probably getting the Z3, even though the bezels are ridiculous and it has a Sony skin.

Actually, when might the Z4 come out?.....

Hey guys look, someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about!

No shit?

Pls respond.

malyce

Android L will bring massive battery improvements. This a fact.
Moto X should just about match all of the top flagships when L is released. And yes they will jump also and Moto X will still be behind.

You can't make this claim as you don't have hard numbers. When the X gets its L update get at me.

As I've said a million times before. No amount of software tweaking is gonna make up for that 7-900mah deficit. It's gonna be even worse in real world use. Looping a video or a web page over and over till a device's battery dies is not indicative of real world usage. The Ars tech battery L life preview shows a 40% improvement when looping a video. It's not a 40% improvement across the board. There are too many factors involved. You're gonna really disappointed if you think L is gonna put the X on par with an M8, 5S, N4, Z3 etc. It's not happening.

lol @ me having no idea what I'm talking about. You're cute.

Groof

If the Moto X will match all of the top flagships as they are right now with the L update... then what will happen with the rest of the flagships when they get L?

The endless gap.

I'm sorry to interrupt your wonderful discussion about "Moto X vs All" (I love that this is a thing again and it should totally be a permanent discussion point, right after SD card vs internal storage).

Is it somehow possible to turn my phone into a Bluetooth audio receiver? I want to transmit audio from my iPad to my phone.

NotBacon

You can't make this claim as you don't have hard numbers. When the X gets its L update get at me.

As I've said a million times before. No amount of software tweaking is gonna make up for that 7-900mah deficit. It's gonna be even worse in real world use. Looping a video or a web page over and over till a device's battery dies is not indicative of real world usage. The Ars tech battery L life preview shows a 40% improvement when looping a video. It's not a 40% improvement across the board. There are too many factors involved. You're gonna really disappointed if you think L is gonna put the X on par with an M8, 5S, N4, Z3 etc. It's not happening.

lol @ me having no idea what I'm talking about. You're cute.

Don't mind me, just saving this in the archive for later use.
Carry on.

I just put in an order for a LG G3. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Will it seem like a big leap? Is there anything I can do on this phone that i can't on my current one.

BTW, Amazon has the G3 phone for 49.99 with a 2 year contract.

I need a case for it that has a built in screen protector like my old one from casemate.

Toki767

I just put in an order for a LG G3. I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S3. Will it seem like a big leap? Is there anything I can do on this phone that i can't on my current one.

BTW, Amazon has the G3 phone for 49.99 with a 2 year contract.

Much bigger screen, much better battery life, much better camera, all the things you would expect from a newer phone really. LG does have some software features but they aren't necessarily as important. I think the experience is much more smooth though.

kIdMuScLe

How much of the Z3 battery is due to software? In that, were i to flash stock android l, would I likely get as good battery?

A lot since when I had the xperia z I installed a vanilla ROM and it gave me worse battery life than stock. I really miss the Sony look on my moto G :-(

BEHOLD

I have really big hands.

It’s not something I usually think about; you don’t ever really think about your hands. Those are my hands, you might idly remark to yourself from time to time. I wonder if I can use them for anything good.

But using a smartphone with a huge screen, like the iPhone 6 Plus, forces you to constantly consider the size of your hands. This phone looks huge, even in my admittedly large hands, you might think to yourself. Or: Dammit, I can’t reach that button without using my other hand.

Or: If my children and my children’s children and their children and all the children after that keep contorting their hands to use phones like this for generations, will our hands evolve to have gigantic thumbs?

It is not often that a new iPhone threatens to alter the course of human evolution, is what I’m saying. But here we are.

I have really big hands.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

The sony skin is honestly fine. I came into it after using stock android only and it is about as minimal as you can get.

Mr.Mike

Can we expect the Z3 to have more or less battery life than the Z3C? Plentiful battery life is really appealing to me...

I think I'll wait to see the Nexus 6 anyway. But if the Nexus goes full on phablet I'll be getting a Z3C instead.

vivftp

haha... well, i was in Sony store today and saw Z Ultra again... now thats large. It reminds me of portable tv set if anything, lol.

I wonder if Sony is going to update that phone.

I've got my Z Ultra sitting in front of me and not a day goes by that I don't enjoy that monsterous screen.

The only rumour we have about a successor right now is the Z3x, which has a slightly smaller display at around 6.14", IIRC. I'm patiently waiting for CES/MWC to see what Sony's got up their sleeves next.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've got my Z Ultra sitting in front of me and not a day goes by that I don't enjoy that monsterous screen.

The only rumour we have about a successor right now is the Z3x, which has a slightly smaller display at around 6.14", IIRC. I'm patiently waiting for CES/MWC to see what Sony's got up their sleeves next.

Please, please, how does Microsoft's new Android OneNote app work on the Z Ultra? Are you running the Play Edition/stock Android — is the pencil accurate? I'd love to have a digital notepad running stock Android

vivftp

Please, please, how does Microsoft's new Android OneNote app work on the Z Ultra? Are you running the Play Edition/stock Android — is the pencil accurate? I'd love to have a digital notepad running stock Android

Microsoft's new what in the who where?

Running the standard version that Sony provided with their latest updates. It's an unlocked phone.

I don't use pens too often, but I have occasionally used keys to move around and doodle. I can confirm it is indeed very accurate.

Blackhead

Redarse
Microsoft's new what in the who where?

Running the standard version that Sony provided with their latest updates. It's an unlocked phone.

I don't use pens too often, but I have occasionally used keys to move around and doodle. I can confirm it is indeed very accurate.

OneNote for Android got an update in August with the drawing/writing functionality added.

I'll try to grab a Z Ultra and see how it goes. Prices are pretty decent right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, looks like Silver is dead.

It had a good run.
The Information: Android Silver Is Maybe Probably Dead, Which Is Good News For Nexus Phones http://andp.lc/1r5yiAC

No one really believed this program would go through. Find the crow at the beginning of this thread and end of last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom