• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys should've realized earlier that if the Verge said it was great then it was terrible.
Nah. The Moto X and other phones they give good reviews to aren't terrible, it's just that as soon as they see and feel a phone built with some metal, gently caressing their hands, they tend to overlook some of the faults. They love metal construction. Like really love it.

Groof

If you're looking for a great phone that does pretty much everything and does it good, then the G3 is the best. If you have more specific needs you can look elsewhere.

Status bar? Wut?
Whenever I see LG phones in the wild, the status bar is so overcrowded that the indicators and notifications become meaningless, a la this:

113875d1398034422t-upside-down-tear-drop-icon-status-bar-t-mobile-lg-g2-screenshot_2014-04-20-17-48-01.jpg

Seriously.

Say what you will about the weaknesses of the Nexus program, but at least Google is investing serious time, effort, and talent into the AOSP design, both from a usability and aesthetic point of view.

So basically everything any other phone would show when you have those programs running?
I doubt it. I use my phone pretty intensively and I've never ever seen status icons take up 2/3 to 4/5 of the bar. That's inexcusable.

Toki767

Umm...you could turn on bluetooth, wifi, GPS, NFC, silence your phone, etc... for any Android phone and you'd end up getting all those symbols clogging up your status bar. Not exactly an LG thing.

Groof

Umm...you could turn on bluetooth, wifi, GPS, NFC, silence your phone, etc... for any Android phone and you'd end up getting all those symbols clogging up your status bar. Not exactly an LG thing.

This.

But honestly, LG and Samsung oversize those icons for some reason, so they take up way more space than they should.

Seriously.

Say what you will about the weaknesses of the Nexus program, but at least Google is investing serious time, effort, and talent into the AOSP design, both from a usability and aesthetic point of view.

I doubt it. I use my phone pretty intensively and I've never ever seen status icons take up 2/3 to 4/5 of the bar. That's inexcusable.

Do me a favor and go to your phone, turn on all those apps and turn on the status bar updates, take a screenshot, then post it.

Do me a favor and go to your phone, turn on all those apps and turn on the status bar updates, take a screenshot, then post it.
It's not usually what my phone looks like, but here:

Notice I had to get Maps open in order to get the GPS icon. LG and Galaxy users just seem to have it pop up randomly, but I think that's just because of the apps they install.

The status bar is barely half full in this extreme situation. Also the icons are much more readable and easier on the eyes.

spwolf

If you're looking for a great phone that does pretty much everything and does it good, then the G3 is the best. If you have more specific needs you can look elsewhere.

I dont think so. Unless you are thinking about price. But I would never buy G3 because of the battery life.

Toki767

It's not usually what my phone looks like, but here:

Notice I had to get Maps open in order to get the GPS icon. LG and Galaxy users just seem to have it pop up randomly, but I think that's just because of the apps they install.

The status bar is barely half full in this extreme situation. Also the icons are much more readable and easier on the eyes.

That looks way more than half full to me. Also is NFC on?

rrvv

Honestly every time I wake up in the morning. my Nexus 4 usually half full. most come from random notification like Gmail, Ymail, Whats up, etc. ofc Ii clean it up quickly is not exactly LG/samsung exclusive problem.

Issue probably lies to the user that like downloading random stuff. bloatware can also contribute to this thought

I always wondering what happens if you get the notification slot full.

I wonder if you guys can help me, my girlfriend has a slight problem with her S5 mini (4.4.2)

When she unlocks her screen with a swipe normally the unlock effect is set to popping colours, she noticed earlier today that the effect has now changed to an unlocking padlock.

In the lock screen menu "unlock effect" is now greyed out.

Any ideas?

NVM - Fixed; swapped wallpaper and the option is no longer greyed out.

Sure. But you're hiding facts and trying to spread misinformation just to prove your nonexistent point.

Hell, even Verizon wasn't so bad with the KitKat update, for the previously mentioned devices they had them out in almost 4 months stat.

Nobody is arguing that Moto is bad with updates. But stop trying to be misleading.

I'm not trying to be misleading nor am I being misleading. Debating with you is awful. You still have to talk shit even when you are given straight facts.

Peace out.

It sounds like people are pretty down on Motorola in this thread. Is it worth waiting for the Nexus 6? What are the chances the Nexus 6 is better than the M8 Or Galaxy S5?

People are down, because they hate freedom and choice and would rather stare at their TouchWizzes and software buttons and sd card slots.

malyce

Bro just take the damn pill.

Anyways, I'm probably getting the Z3, even though the bezels are ridiculous and it has a Sony skin.

Actually, when might the Z4 come out?.....

Hey guys look, someone who doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about!

Android L will bring massive battery improvements. This a fact.
Moto X should just about match all of the top flagships when L is released. And yes they will jump also and Moto X will still be behind.

Don't mind me, just saving this in the archive for later use.
Carry on.

Well Anandtech put up their Moto X 2014 review and, well, it's a dud through and through.

- Poor battery life
- Poor screen
- Mediocre camera

So that's a bummer.

Gen 1 murdered you on your own shit.

Oh did Android L come out? Shit brb I'm going to go check it out.
Before I conclude this section, I just wanted to note that Android L alone won’t improve battery life on these tests. Android RunTime (ART) won’t help with battery life as these applications are native code. Job Scheduler is also irrelevant to our tests, as it will only improve battery life in situations where multiple applications are running in the background. We make every effort to ensure that no background tasks occur during these battery life tests and auto-sync is disabled as well in order to make sure that the only task running is the one under test. We have already run the data early in the summer on the Nexus 5 with Android L developer preview and our data does not show any significant difference in battery life. However, in real world usage where background applications and data syncing are active, one can expect greater battery life with Android L but only in the range of 10-15%.

There's not really much to say other than that this was definitely a compromising design choice.

BTW my location icon doesn't pop up on my G3 in the status bar unless I'm using the GPS. Another case of false information perpetuated by a poster.

Volotaire

It's getting toasty in here.

Codename HTC One M8 Eye could be coming on October 8th as a variant of the M8 with a 13MP camera.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/htc-prepping-yet-another-one-m8-variant-leaks-suggest/

HTC could be ready to release yet another variant of its One series of smartphones, a new rumor suggests. According to details obtained by Twitter source @Uplinks, HTC could soon introduce a new, albeit minimal, twist on the One M8 flagship.

Called the HTC One M8 Eye for now, this new device is expected to largely feature the same hardware found in the flagship model. The only difference, allegedly, is that HTC will swap out the 4-UltraPixel camera in favor of a more traditional 13-megapixel rear camera.

If you thought HTC had already released a smartphone with these specifications, you'd be mostly correct. The HTC Butterfly 2 is essentially a plastic-wrapped spin on the all-metal One M8 that also features the 13-megapixel rear shooter. Adding to the confusion, the HTC One Mini 2 houses the 13-megapixel rear camera as well as the M8's premium build materials, though this phone doesn't have all its other hardware muscle.

In a separate, yet related note, a phone called simply the HTC Eye (and not the One Eye) is also being tossed around the rumor mill. Not to be confused with the aforementioned device, this one purports to feature a 5.2-inch 1080p HD display, an 8-megapixel rear camera, and a Snapdragon 801 processor.

HTC has a press event scheduled for October 8 under the theme of "Double Exposure," which likely refers to the camera. Whatever the phone-maker has in mind, we'll be there on the ground, covering it all in real time.

spwolf

It has the same battery life as the other flagships and has a replaceable battery..

battery life is worse than G2, let alone best of them. 6:40 on web browsing from GSMArena is really, really, really poor result. G2 got 11:22, Z2 gets 11:33... video playback is also few hours short... only thing it is good at is call time, when screen is completely off.

but i am sure you knew this already.

battery life is worse than G2, let alone best of them. 6:40 on web browsing from GSMArena is really, really, really poor result. G2 got 11:22, Z2 gets 11:33... video playback is also few hours short... only thing it is good at is call time, when screen is completely off.

but i am sure you knew this already.

It may not be better than the G2, but the G3 battery at least in my case, better than what GSMarena had touted it as. I got about 5 hours SOT all day browsing on LTE once and usually around 4 and a half on a normal day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom