• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

GSM has already reviewed the Z3C, I'm not sure about other outlets.
Thanks, going to give the GSMarena review a read tonight. May hold off on preordering one or the other until a few reviews are in to compare - especially looking at what happened with the Verge's Moto X review!

mturco

And while most of these things seem obvious, the Verge blew their load over the device.

It's baffling.

Not really. The Verge's idea of a review is using a phone for a bit and then writing down impressions about it and giving it an arbitrary score. They don't actually measure anything or do any kind of comparative analysis whatsoever.

SimleuqiR

Goddamn

DiligentRedCanary.gif

Anand is the girl, Moto is he boy

9d1380752efac1eb5993a8f0a57cf25d.gif

Please love me?

Gotdamn at that Anandtech review.

Now, see, I don't care about the camera on phones, but I do care about battery life. If moto had put a bigger battery in the new X, I'd be fine with it. Though the display is also a concern. The phone should have been priced similar to a Nexus, as it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the Nexus 5.

reKon

Banned
After my Z3/Z3 Compact post yesterday I went to a phone store today and tried out two Sony phones - Z2 (same screen size as the Z3), and another which I forget which had a 4.6" screen (same as the Z3 compact).

While the larger screen was nice, the smaller phone was more comfortable to hold and use one-handed.

Making me lean more towards a Z3 Compact now. Yes, no upgrade in screen resolution from my Nexus 4, and a slight downgrade in screen size - but the addition of 4G (my main reason for upgrading), 20MP camera, seemigly very good screen and battery life which should outlast even the Z3 (same battery size, smaller screen, less pixels).

And that's for ~£350 unlocked compared to ~£500 for the Z3.

Do we know when reveiws are likely to be out for either the Z3 or Z3C?

Are you living in UK?

SimleuqiR

Decisions like these leave me scratching my head. A home button has been totally pointless since about 1998.

What the fuck

What version of Chrome is this? On my Nexus 5 they don't have a home button at all (or a refresh button)

Chrome version 37.0.2062

This is not even live. It's not something even in the beta channel guys. Just some code that was found by some users. It's not even guaranteed to be part of Chrome down the road. Chillax!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...tion-add-home-button-androids-version-chrome/

Toki767

Did they seriously just imply that Apple, who up until this year released 1 new device a year, is a "faster moving" competitor than Samsung?

SimleuqiR

Did they seriously just imply that Apple, who up until this year released 1 new device a year, is a "faster moving" competitor than Samsung?

If anything Samsung likes to try NEW things way before anyone else, including Google. This approach is also not exclusive to hardware.

I may not like much of what Sammy is doing but they try to innovate sooner than anyone else, success rate none withstanding.

If anything Samsung likes to try NEW things way before anyone else, including Google. This approach is also not exclusive to hardware.

I may not like much of what Sammy is doing but they try to innovate sooner than anyone else, success rate none withstanding.

Better to try than not at all?

Salsa

Had the same on my S4. It's a really easy replacement to do yourself and the part should only cost around £10.

EDIT: Ah, fuck that. Just checked and it was soldered on for the S3 while you can just pull the S4 one out.

same guy who changed my screen is gonna do it for roughly $35. Will have to leave the phone there for a day or two tho :(

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
There are a few things that make it stand out (premium materials, front speaker, awesome reception), but the killer feature is the Moto apps integration with dedicated processors.

It may sound gimmicky, but these are legit awesome features that are making it really hard to move away from a Moto phone:

-Viewing time and notifs just by looking at my phone while it's on the table
-Never having to use the power button to unlock
-Eerily accurate voice commands while screen is off
-Moto actions (a very simple and beautiful Tasker)

It's truly a joy to use, and I will miss these if I go for the Z3.
Do you work for Motorola?
Serious question, but your posts read like ads sometimes.

charging port of my S3 crapped out

you guys remember I replaced the entire screen like a month ago

this is a cruel joke

;_;

i'll try to see how much a repair costs but im guessing it's battery charger + wireless charging kit for me from now on. both of which are annoying
You are pretty unlucky man D:

Google found room in mobile chrome for a home button, but not refresh...

nexus2cee_Chrome1.jpg
Uh, that's already in Chrome, mine has it

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
ppi?

Android Police said it my be trigger on the server end. So depending on what phone you have it will show.

I still think it's some sort of bug. Stuff like this would go through the beta channel before the stable channel could see it.
432ppi IIRC.

Mind that I have the icon since the latest Chrome update, it's not something that just showed up.

Verizon gonna Verizon. I can even imagine what it'll look like when they switch over to their new XLTE network.

"XLTE" is just their branding for markets where they now have 700 MHz and 1400 MHz spectrum. It's a capacity expansion, your speeds won't be any different unless there was network congestion in your area.

I like the 4G LTE logo on my Verizon Note II. I like how it's always there on my bar everywhere I go, reminding me that I actually am getting something for the premium I pay to have Verizon because they have LTE coverage literally everywhere. It's actually real LTE too, unlike some other LTE networks which deliver sub-3G speeds in the real world.

SimleuqiR

432ppi IIRC.

Mind that I have the icon since the latest Chrome update, it's not something that just showed up.

That's the point. That it's not just having the latest version install, but that their is something else causing the icon to display for some users. AP thinks it's something on the server side flipping that icon "on".

jokkir

Android Wear post here but I think some of you guys might be interested

LG G Watch battery test 2. From around 8AM to when arrived home at 12:45AM.

I would say I used it as I would any other watch to check the time, even extra to show friends what it does (voice commands, etc), use it as music controls and just constantly turning on the watch and rebooting it sometimes.

I'm surprised by how long it lasted, actually. My phone could have died at least twice (or even three times) before the watch died.

NotBacon

Do you work for Motorola?
Serious question, but your posts read like ads sometimes.

Ok this is getting old.
Is it that hard to believe it's just a killer device? Really? Ask almost anyone who has used it as their daily driver and they'll tell you the same damn thing.
Yes it has it's faults, but no one currently touches what the Moto X pulls off in terms of enjoyment and usability.

That said, I'm probably getting the Z3 because of that mouthwatering battery life.
Can't wait for this

Toki767

Ok this is getting old.
Is it that hard to believe it's just a killer device? Really? Ask almost anyone who has used it as their daily driver and they'll tell you the same damn thing.
Yes it has it's faults, but no one currently touches what the Moto X pulls off in terms of enjoyment and usability.

That said, I'm probably getting the Z3 because of that mouthwatering battery life.
Can't wait for this

I don't think anyone's necessarily arguing that the Moto X isn't a "killer" device. But to say that it tops all the other Android flagships this year is pretty insane.

this_guy

Ok this is getting old.

Enjoyment and usability is subjective.

Everyone has their favorite phone here, but no one promotes their favorite brand as much as you and spreads as much fud as you. Objectively speaking, versus the other flagship phones, the battery, screen, and camera are noticeably worse on the Moto X. You can say it's good enough for you, which is fine, but it's still worse than the competition. If you like Moto's active display that much that's great, but to others
most
they would prefer battery life, screen, and camera. All the flagship phones perform close enough in the real world, so why not have better hardware while you're at it?

Prior to reviews you kept hyping up the phone, despite everyone else being weary of battery life and camera. After reviews are out you keep preaching about Android L, basically just another way for you to hide the fact that battery life is currently subpar vs the competition. If battery life truly is good enough for you, why did you keep listing that as a negative for the LG G3? Reviews were out on the G3, battery life was certainly good enough, but to you it was a negative. After reviews we see that battery life is worse on the Moto X, but you consider it good enough and not a negative. That's a little disingenuous.

So in conclusion, yes the Moto X seems like a nice phone. But would you rather have Active display, or better battery life, screen, and camera? It seems you choose Active display, but the majority of others here...

Salsa

might be without a celphone till monday, feels bad man

dude also said the repair is risky if the phone has any kind of moisture. he'll check for it but if it does it will crap out since he has to apply a lot of heat

dammit

NotBacon

Enjoyment and usability is subjective.

Everyone has their favorite phone here, but no one promotes their favorite brand as much as you and spreads as much fud as you.

Prior to reviews you kept hyping up the phone, despite everyone else being weary of battery life and camera. After reviews are out you keep preaching about Android L, basically just another way for you to hide the fact that battery life is currently subpar vs the competition. If battery life truly is good enough for you, why did you keep listing that as a negative for the LG G3? Reviews were out on the G3, battery life was certainly good enough, but to you it was a negative. After reviews we see that battery life is worse on the Moto X, but you consider it good enough and not a negative. That's a little disingenuous.

So in conclusion, yes the Moto X seems like a nice phone. But would you rather have Active display, or better battery life, screen, and camera? It seems you choose Active display, but the majority of others here...

1. You haven't even seen my Moto underwear yet
2. Okay? I hyped up the phone, and it turned out to be a pretty awesome phone. It's not for everyone, but that doesn't change the fact that the hype was deserved and delivered.
3. Lol who's hiding this?
4. If you actually read the thread, you'll see I'm getting the Z3, because of the disappointing X battery....
5. I didn't list the battery as a negative on the G3. If you want to know why the G3 sucks, here's the Anand summary:
Basically, the screen is stupid, costs more, wastes battery, slows down performance, heats it up so it throttles more, and isn't actually noticeably different compared to 1920×1080 at viewing distance.
6. What? Again, if you read the thread...
7. And now you're repeating what I posted

VanWinkle

5. I didn't list the battery as a negative on the G3. If you want to know why the G3 sucks, here's the Anand summary:
Basically, the screen is stupid, costs more, wastes battery, slows down performance, heats it up so it throttles more, and isn't actually noticeably different compared to 1920×1080 at viewing distance.

Actually, that's a comment from a random reader on Anandtech. Here is the Anand summary:

Overall, the G3 is frustratingly close to perfect. A much-improved 1080p display, smaller size, and staying with the stacked battery design would’ve made this phone much easier to recommend as the best phone of the Snapdragon 801 generation. Unfortunately, as-is I can only say that it’s equal to everything else on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom