• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this is the right topic to ask, but hopefully someone might have some advice on the matter...

The other day, I glanced over at at my Nexus 7 2013, and while it had been in sleep mode, it was sitting on the "Google" screen. Weird. I assumed it crashed, and left it alone for a while, it was still sitting on the same screen. Manual power down, reboot, nothing. I've since tried multiple combinations of reboots, plugged and unplugged, leaving it off for a while, etc. I've tried Recovery Mode, although I didn't know until a bit ago that the error icon wasn't the only thing to it. I've installed ADB and Fastboot, and I've tried "Wipe Cache Partition", which amounted in a bunch of errors along the lines of "Failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)"

As far as I understand it, my primarily option now is to flash the system via Factory Reset or a stock image (my Nexus was already stock, hadn't flashed it with anything). Before I try that, is there a way to back up the data I do have on the tablet? I primarily just want to save images, videos, notes, etc. Can I send a command via ADB to just copy over the files currently on there?

And once that's done, should I go with "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"? If that fails, what should I try to flash it with, is there a recent image I should be using to skip the update steps to the latest Android version?

Bbkqokq.png

Has this been discussed? New thread for new news?
Is this real?

NotBacon

I'm not sure this is the right topic to ask, but hopefully someone might have some advice on the matter...

The other day, I glanced over at at my Nexus 7 2013, and while it had been in sleep mode, it was sitting on the "Google" screen. Weird. I assumed it crashed, and left it alone for a while, it was still sitting on the same screen. Manual power down, reboot, nothing. I've since tried multiple combinations of reboots, plugged and unplugged, leaving it off for a while, etc. I've tried Recovery Mode, although I didn't know until a bit ago that the error icon wasn't the only thing to it. I've installed ADB and Fastboot, and I've tried "Wipe Cache Partition", which amounted in a bunch of errors along the lines of "Failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)"

As far as I understand it, my primarily option now is to flash the system via Factory Reset or a stock image (my Nexus was already stock, hadn't flashed it with anything). Before I try that, is there a way to back up the data I do have on the tablet? I primarily just want to save images, videos, notes, etc. Can I send a command via ADB to just copy over the files currently on there?

And once that's done, should I go with "Wipe Data/Factory Reset"? If that fails, what should I try to flash it with, is there a recent image I should be using to skip the update steps to the latest Android version?

You should be able to do
Code:
adb pull /sdcard/
I think...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just like stamina mode, or other battery saving features that some oem include, stock android lacks that

Will be in vanilla Android once L rolls around though. It makes the phone rather awful to use (no nice animations anymore, laggy scrolling, etc), but good for squeezing a few extra minutes out of the battery when you really need it.

Why do you even need to know that you're using 4G LTE when you're connected to a wifi network?

Just another in the long line of stupid, useless things added or changed by OEMs or carriers for no good reason at all.

Google found room in mobile chrome for a home button, but not refresh...

nexus2cee_Chrome1.jpg

What the fuck? Not seeing that on my N5, and I better not in the future either. Who the hell even uses the Home button in a browser anymore? You open a new tab, and then do whatever. Or you just search from the omnibar. A refresh button is literally 1000x more useful than that shit.

If it comes to that, all the latest Nexus factory images can be found here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

NotBacon

That looks correct (I also found the variant "adb pull /sdcard .\sdcard" to dump it to a specific subdirectory), but unfortunately it's not showing my tablet via "adb devices", so commands aren't working.

Make sure usb debugging is enabled on the tablet

And what OS is your PC?

Make sure usb debugging is enabled on the tablet

And what OS is your PC?

How do I make sure that's enabled if I can't get into the main system menu? All I can get into are the Recovery menus. Still trying to figure out how to get the Google driver INF to install right.

Windows 7 64 Bit.

Edit: Got the driver finally working, this did the trick.

Edit 2: ADB is picking it up, but only if I pick "Apply update from ADB". If I try the "pull /sdcard" command, I get "Error: closed", which is related here. Apparently if I upload a fitting file, then it'll let me run the ADB command?

Edit 3: Sent it a fluff file as a test, it spit up some cache errors then put me back at the menu. The only time the devices shows up on ADB on my PC is when I pick "Apply Update from ADB" on my tablet on the Recovery screen, and it doesn't let me do anything else but sideload a file. Is there another way I can get ADB to communicate? I read something about a Fastboot menu, but I think that's for flashing the device entirely. I had already used that, whoops.

Edit 4: Stuck getting "error: closed" when I activate ADB with the Update choice above, although some commands work, like getting the serial number. Can't figure out how to get around this. Taking a break for a little while.

reKon

Banned
Preordered Z3 Compact. Came to 493 USD total from handtec. I think they're throwing in some accessories for preordering too

That's not really a good deal. It's $200 minus the trade in value of your smartphone. I could sell most recent smart phones on Craigslist for more.

Well it's obviously not a smart idea to trade in a phone that exceeds $200 in value. The point though is that you can trade in a phone that's worth $10 and get $200 for it.

Jigolo

Preordered Z3 Compact. Came to 493 USD total from handtec. I think they're throwing in some accessories for preordering too
Cheaper and better than the moto x. If Sony keep this pricing where the compact is ~500 (99 on contract) and their flagship is ~650 (199 on contract) they could be successful in the us. Granted their phones are on all carriers.

https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

Pre-order a Note 4, trade in any working smartphone and Samsung will mail you a check for $200 minus the amount you got for trading in your phone.

Sounds too good to be true.

I should get $300 for upgrading from my Note II. Loyalty Bonus

Otherwise I think I just found a use for my old Droid X.

I still have my old AT&T 8525 in the closet, that thing runs Windows Mobile 5.0, so it qualifies as a smart phone right??

Cheaper and better than the moto x. If Sony keep this pricing where the compact is ~500 (99 on contract) and their flagship is ~650 (199 on contract) they could be successful in the us. Granted their phones are on all carriers.
Yes please. The display on the Z3c would be an upgrade from the display found in the LG Spirit. If I want to, I'll probably even get the Z3 since that price is okay compared to the $800 figure rumored. I'm getting giddy.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
https://samsunggalaxypromotions.com/Note4/

Pre-order a Note 4, trade in any working smartphone and Samsung will mail you a check for $200 minus the amount you got for trading in your phone.

Sounds too good to be true.
Wonder if this promo works for the Edge and off contract purchase.

Small print: Minimum trade-in value of $10
No. You're reading it wrong. Maximum check value value is $190. Meaning all phones will be worth at least $10.

Wonder if this promo works for the Edge and off contract purchase.

No. You're reading it wrong. Maximum check value value is $190. Meaning all phones will be worth at least $10.

you're reading it wrong. the carrier takes the phone and pays you and Samsung just gets a copy of the receipt for the phone purchase and phone trade-in value from you and splits the difference of $200 as long as the phone was worth $10.

its 10,000 mAh

Woah, that's massive.

How on earth? I can barely beat 3 hours most of the time.

Normal usage is around 4 and a half hours screen time for me. 7 hours was on wifi no location and just browsing/texting.

I loved all those old Cingular phones. I had a 8125, 8525, and my favorite of all; the 3125:

Such a beautiful phone. I wish I still had it. :(

I had the moto ming after the razr, loved it so much.

MotorolaMINGA1200.jpg

So I could trade in my old Nexus S or iPhone for $200? Sounds too good to be true.

Edit:

Oh, well, never mind then.

Even if you don’t have anything worth the min stipulated $10, there’s still a flipping deal here if you’re dead set on getting N4. What I mean is this:

Value of deal = $200 – (x -y)
x= cost of acquisition to you
y = trade-in value from participating store

Trick is to find smallest disparity value between trade-in from list and matching what you can scour .

Edit: Nope disparity doesn't matter as cash value is actually = $200 - y - (x - y)
So just find cheapest shit possible meeting $10 criteria to get max value

you're reading it wrong. the carrier takes the phone and pays you and Samsung just gets a copy of the receipt for the phone purchase and phone trade-in value from you and splits the difference of $200 as long as the phone was worth $10.

Yup that’s how I read it. Would be bonkers indeed if you could trade in any old shit worth a dollar or less and get $10 in return :)

iavi

develop the strongest product off all the current crop of smartphones, show it off, then say nothing about it for months.

/Sony

I'm on an OG Tmobile Jump plan so I'm basically just waiting for them to tell me GO too. smh

I had the moto ming after the razr, loved it so much.

MotorolaMINGA1200.jpg
That looks awesome. I need to get me a nice flip phone as a backup. I would love an awesome Android flip phone.

Even if you don’t have anything worth the min stipulated $10, there’s still a flipping deal here if you’re dead set on getting N4. Theoretically, value could even be worth > $200 if you’re lucky enough to find pockets of inefficiency, where disparity between x-y is a negative one. What I mean is this:

Value of deal = $200 – (x -y)
x= cost of acquisition to you
y = trade-in value from participating store

Trick is to find smallest disparity value between trade-in from list and matching what you can scour ;)
Thanks! But I'm not sure I understand how this all works still. I feel dumb. I'll come back to this post when I have a clear state of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom