• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! But I'm not sure I understand how this all works still. I feel dumb. I'll come back to this post when I have a clear state of mind.

No I'm the dumb one actually. I forgot to account for the fact that Samsung’s paying the difference, not gross. So max theoretical value is still $200 because

Cash value = 200 - y - (x - y)

Edit: LOL let me try again since I’ve articulated the whole thing rather poorly.

Cash value of deal = net rebate from Samsung (A) + net cash from trade-in (B)
If x = cost of acquisition to you, and y = trade-in value from participating store
A = $200 – y
B = y - x
Therefore cash value of deal = $200 - x

So to get the most out of deal you have to acquire the cheapest shit you can find that meets the $10 criteria if you do not have one readily available. Disparity between cost of acquisition and trade in value doesn’t matter in this case because Samsung not paying $200 gross but the difference. Hope that makes a bit more sense

Update on my Android headache. Apparently ADB doesn't work in the bootloader (and I can't seem to get it working most of the time via Recovery Mode, as described above, and when I do it's closed), but Fastboot apparently can talk to the bootloader. I'm just trying to figure out if Fastboot has any way to back up files, because all I've seen are wiping options.

Edit 1: And I can't find one. Everything seems to be for wiping or using pre-existing backups.

On the plus side of all of this, at least I can try out Android L. Unless there's something physically wrong with the tablet.

Edit 2: *glances at the post below* Or you know, that could be no big deal too.

Er, just to be clear, the article I linked above was an old one from early August about the preview version, yours looks like current news. So I don't think you needed to edit it out, if that was the reason.

As a final update, I found these two pages:
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/41531/backup-using-adb-without-root-or-usb-debugging
http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/28296/full-backup-of-non-rooted-devices

These pretty much hit my problems to a T. Going through them carefully before giving up. Will stop bugging the topic.

develop the strongest product off all the current crop of smartphones, show it off, then say nothing about it for months.

/Sony

I'm on an OG Tmobile Jump plan so I'm basically just waiting for them to tell me GO too. smh
Sony gonna Sony. Hopefully we get information next week.

I hate hangouts right now shit is garbage. Some conversations are unmerged even if they share the same name and contact card. It double texts with smart reply even though my google voice and SMS are the same number. Arrrrrgghhh
Just let me merge on my own google shit

keezy

I hate hangouts right now shit is garbage. Some conversations are unmerged even if they share the same name and contact card. It double texts with smart reply even though my google voice and SMS are the same number. Arrrrrgghhh
Just let me merge on my own google shit

I tried giving it a shot after voice integration but I'm back using Textra.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am having some issues with the camera on my LG G2 saying it can't record because the audio is being used by another app. Could it be an issue with Google Now being always on and taking up the microphone?

PaulLFC

Z3 Compact ordered :D £357 delivered from Clove, should be dispatched Monday. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Brilliant price especially when considering its only real 'compact' competition, the Galaxy Alpha, is £500 unlocked.

Z3 Compact ordered :D £357 delivered from Clove, should be dispatched Monday. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Brilliant price especially when considering its only real 'compact' competition, the Galaxy Alpha, is £500 unlocked.
Awesome :).Can you give your impressions once you've received it? That would be great.

rossonero

I have an LG G2 and got a great offer on the G3 16gb so I thought I should order it. Well today the G3 arrived and holy shit what a laggy phone. Sure, switching to Nova helped a little bit and I've even switched to ART but still it's a real laggy mess.

Will try to revert to dalvik and see if that's better, but it's such a shame really since it's a great phone otherwise.

Groof

I can't believe I was about to buy a Nexus 4 when they first were available. "The battery will be fine", they all told me. I usually do 4h-5h on screen time; 2 1/2 hours of screen on time would get me to 4pm or 5pm if I'm lucky.

The battery is fine, but it's the definition of work day battery. You can make it through a full 24h day with minimal use and still have 20% left, but if you actually go over 1h SoT it'll be dead by dinner.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I have an LG G2 and got a great offer on the G3 16gb so I thought I should order it. Well today the G3 arrived and holy shit what a laggy phone. Sure, switching to Nova helped a little bit and I've even switched to ART but still it's a real laggy mess.

Will try to revert to dalvik and see if that's better, but it's such a shame really since it's a great phone otherwise.

Huh, really? Haven't noticed that much lag other than the widgets and apps on the main screen takes a second to appear when I press the home button.

PaulLFC

Awesome :).Can you give your impressions once you've received it? That would be great.
Will do :) Should have it by the middle of next week, hopefully.

Dayum £357 is quite a bargain :)
Indeed! It's the main thing that swung me between it and its big brother, it seems to have had a price cut so there's a £165 difference at Clove right now. I didn't think the extra 0.6 inches was worth that much, 720p I can live with on a screen of this size. Still a big upgrade on the Nexus 4!

this_guy

Reading reports it seems the 16gb version is gimped with only 2gb or ram (where as the 32gb version has 3gb of ram).

Groof

Reading reports it seems the 16gb version is gimped with only 2gb or ram (where as the 32gb version has 3gb of ram).

LG said they had optimised the software for both 2GB and 3GB of use, but reading what people have been saying in this thread it seems like the 3GB crowd is having less issues than the others...

rossonero

Huh, really? Haven't noticed that much lag other than the widgets and apps on the main screen takes a second to appear when I press the home button.

Yeah it was really weird, it was like when you're playing a game and the ping is 250 or something. However, I just restored the phone and it's much better. Basically no lag at all. Maybe the ART conversion messed something up or something.

Will start to install apps now so we'll see how it goes.

this_guy said:

2gb should still be enough, but there are some rumors about LG using lower quality ram sticks in the 16gb version of the phone so maybe it's that. But the phone is as fast as the G2 now after restoring so I got no complains right now.

this_guy

Yeah it was really weird, it was like when you're playing a game and the ping is 250 or something. However, I just restored the phone and it's much better. Basically no lag at all. Maybe the ART conversion messed something up or something.

Will start to install apps now so we'll see how it goes.

2gb should still be enough, but there are some rumors about LG using lower quality ram sticks in the 16gb version of the phone so maybe it's that. But the phone is as fast as the G2 now after restoring so I got no complains right now.

That's good to hear. The people that have complained about battery life also seemed to have the 16gb version as well. I also had a G2 prior to the G3 (and prior to that, the iPhone 5s), the G3's battery life isn't as good as the G2, but it still has the second best battery life of any phone I've used.

Crisco

Banned
Only real problem I've had with my G3 are intermittent reboots. I read about others who have that problem, but it seems much more severe than what I've experienced. It happens, but not enough to make me want to return the phone or anything, and not when doing any particular action.

Antiwhippy

That's good to hear. The people that have complained about battery life also seemed to have the 16gb version as well. I also had a G2 prior to the G3 (and prior to that, the iPhone 5s), the G3's battery life isn't as good as the G2, but it still has the second best battery life of any phone I've used.

To be fair I was fairly confused with what metric people were judging by. :p

SoT is the only battery metric I care about and I get about 5-6 hours on my 16gb.

PriitV

I can't believe I was about to buy a Nexus 4 when they first were available. "The battery will be fine", they all told me. I usually do 4h-5h on screen time; 1 1/2 hours of screen on time would get me to 2pm if I'm lucky.

I was actually content with the battery life before I started this new job where I have lots of downtime. I'd be perfectly happy with 3h Sot with 25% juice left for the rest of day now.

Some things the review highlighted:

Excellent display for outdoor usage marred by cold colors that are not at normal settings. This can be adjusted in the menu. (Funnily enough, the review mentions a super sensitive mode for the screen. This is intended for gloves use and when do you wear gloves? During the cold. I thought it was funny.

Interface is quick and easy to use. It's also smooth and have very little lag. Still not as smooth as the Iphone. Chrome loads page quickly and effortlessly.

Camera interface is generally easy to use and takes great photos. The camera's color representation is very natural and capable of taking in extreme detail. Good selfie camera that is a little weak indoors; pictures are slightly softer and noiser. Difficult to take 'usies'.

The stereo speakers are good, though not HTC speakers good. The G3 and S5 have slightly better audio output. The call quality is average with voices sounding a little muffled on lower call volumes and voices sounding distorted on higher volumes.

The review listed battery life as a postive but they haven't put up any benchmark as of yet. They claim that the battery "can last a day or two" with heavy usage.

All in all, the Z3 is looking fantastic. All of the complaints of it being a modest upgrade in comparison to the Z2 doesn't concern me. Compared to my current phone, the Z3 is a MASSIVE upgrade. I think I will buying this phone when it's available in the states.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I want a Note Edge that would run a Nexus rom. But with the edge being used as a Twitter timeline or Google now notifications. Would be amazing.

No I'm the dumb one actually. I forgot to account for the fact that Samsung’s paying the difference, not gross. So max theoretical value is still $200 because

Cash value = 200 - y - (x - y)

Edit: LOL let me try again since I’ve articulated the whole thing rather poorly.

Cash value of deal = net rebate from Samsung (A) + net cash from trade-in (B)
If x = cost of acquisition to you, and y = trade-in value from participating store
A = $200 – y
B = y - x
Therefore cash value of deal = $200 - x

So to get the most out of deal you have to acquire the cheapest shit you can find that meets the $10 criteria if you do not have one readily available. Disparity between cost of acquisition and trade in value doesn’t matter in this case because Samsung not paying $200 gross but the difference. Hope that makes a bit more sense
Thanks homie! :)

*sigh*

I just can't go back to using a phone that nets you only 2.5 hours of screen on time. Hell, I don't think 4 hours screen on time is good enough sometimes. The last phone I had with such meh battery life was my Nexus S (and my S4 with the stock battery). The only phones I'd be willing to sacrifice battery on are modern Nexuses, and that's only because of how crazy inexpensive they are.

I'm fine with the camera and display on the new X, though.

Crisco

Banned
The Z3 and the Z3 Compact especially look awesome. I'd definitely get one to upgrade my wife's phone. Unfortunately they aren't on AT&T. Sony really needs to get broader carrier support if they hope to make a dent in the US smartphone market. The opportunity is there, Samsung's Galaxy line has stagnated and HTC is still struggling despite making solid phones.

malyce

So the hangouts update allows you to text from the chrome extension if you're texting using your gvoice number. Or am I late?

Whenever I think that the battery life on my Nexus 5 is great, I go to the settings and check the SoT. I'm rarely over 2 hours. How do you guys have so much time to look at your phones?

Antiwhippy

If you take public transport a lot it's not that hard to rack up time.

Especially if your total commute time is over 2 hours.

I need a cheap entertainment tablet for a long plane trip (20+ hrs) on Oct. 16. Woot had a refurb Nexus 7 for $130 today. Should I get that or the Amazon Fire HD 6 for $120? I do have Prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom