• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyouta

Hopefully Canada is getting details on the Note 4's release soon, I'm waiting.

Was waiting for this. Holy shit at him getting an average of only 2.5 hours of on screen time. That's literally unusable unless you're always at a charger. :/

I wish I had that, my battery SOT only lasts half that. Though, I can change it so I can't complain too much.

reKon

Banned
Still heats up with 4k video recording, but sounds great most other places. Bring on the in-depth ones.

I've learned that every flagship phones does this. You should watch some of the comparison videos online. I think the difference is that Sony actually is more clear about warning you?

reKon

Banned
Z3 Compact ordered :D £357 delivered from Clove, should be dispatched Monday. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Brilliant price especially when considering its only real 'compact' competition, the Galaxy Alpha, is £500 unlocked.

I paid £302 (because I'm shipping to the US) from Handtec. Can't wait!

I think I'm going to be good with this phone for the next 3 years easily. I'm hoping there will be adequate rom support down the road too since Sony lets you unlock the bootloader.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I think I'm going to be good with this phone for the next 3 years easily. I'm hoping there will be adequate rom support down the road too since Sony lets you unlock the bootloader.

What is that price in real money? I need to know if I should import.

Toki767

I've learned that every flagship phones does this. You should watch some of the comparison videos online. I think the difference is that Sony actually is more clear about warning you?

Seems like an 801 issue. I think even the 805 heats up though.

Which carrier will you place your phone under? I'm not sure if I should do this since I've never imported anything before. If i were import it, I would be under T-Mobile since Metropcs merged with them.

My choice has boiled down to either the Z3C or Z3. At this point, it's whichever I think feels better in the hand when I try them out somewhere

I just need dat INFO
Pretty much my situation. I'm not sure how 5.2'' would feel in my hands. My hand is not small by any means though. They're kinda big actually.

malyce

Sony needs to either fill up the surface of the Z4 a larger screen or reduce the bezels if they go with another 5.2" display. Their surface to screen ratio is horrible considering they use onscreen buttons.

reKon

Banned
What is that price in real money? I need to know if I should import.

Lol, real money. My total came to $493 USD total. It was $472 before the shipping price I believe. I'm paying with my credit card, which has no foreign transaction fees so watch out for that if you use a credit card. I believe the charge would 3%.

Which carrier will you place your phone under? I'm not sure if I should do this since I've never imported anything before. If i were import it, I would be under T-Mobile since Metropcs merged with them.

I'm using T-Mobile as well. The good thing about Sony flagships is I guess the support a lot of bands?

PaulLFC

My choice has boiled down to either the Z3C or Z3. At this point, it's whichever I think feels better in the hand when I try them out somewhere

I just need dat INFO

Pretty much my situation. I'm not sure how 5.2'' would feel in my hands. My hand is not small by any means though. They're kinda big actually.
This was my main concern - I tried out a work colleague's Z2 which has the same screen size as the Z3, and also a Nexus 4 and another Sony phone whose model number I forget at a phone store, to use as a "Z3C".

I thought the Z2 was usable, but it did require some shuffling of the phone in my hand to be able to pull down the notification bar from the top if my thumb was near the bottom of the screen. I don't have that problem on the N4, the phone doesn't need to move in my hand for me to be able to reach all parts of the screen. Around 4.7" seems the perfect size for my hands.

I'm sure with more time I could have got used to the bigger screen size - upgrading from a Galaxy S2 to a Nexus 4 felt like a big step in screen size at the time, now it's absolutely fine.

I do have quite small hands, though, so that might not be helping me acclimatise to big-screen phones.

The good thing about Clove (and presumably Handtec as it's standard Distance Selling regulations) is you get 14 days after receiving the phone to decide you don't like it and send it back for a refund (providing it's in good condition). Clove confirmed to me via email I could use this to effectively "try out" the Z3C and see whether or not it feels too small, then if need be send it back, get a refund and buy the normal Z3. They actually encouraged it, so that's what I'll do. Bear in mind this would probably cost a lot in shipping fees etc if you're outside the UK so isn't as useful.

Hoping to not have to go through that though if I like the Z3C enough when it arrives.

I'm really on the fence. If The Z3 had boom sound and IR blaster it would be my next phone for sure. i still may pull the trigger but it would be nice to get hands on one.

Come on Sony, shit

Lol, real money. My total came to $493 USD total. It was $472 before the shipping price I believe. I'm paying with my credit card, which has no foreign transaction fees so watch out for that if you use a credit card. I believe the charge would 3%.

I'm using T-Mobile as well. The good thing about Sony flagships is I guess the support a lot of bands?
Wow $493 is a steal. I would use a debit card so am I still able to purchase it if need be? I looked at a thread on the Android subreddit which talked about the bands Z3 support so I should be fine.
This was my main concern - I tried out a work colleague's Z2 which has the same screen size as the Z3, and also a Nexus 4 and another Sony phone whose model number I forget at a phone store, to use as a "Z3C".

I thought the Z2 was usable, but it did require some shuffling of the phone in my hand to be able to pull down the notification bar from the top if my thumb was near the bottom of the screen. I don't have that problem on the N4, the phone doesn't need to move in my hand for me to be able to reach all parts of the screen. Around 4.7" seems the perfect size for my hands.

I'm sure with more time I could have got used to the bigger screen size - upgrading from a Galaxy S2 to a Nexus 4 felt like a big step in screen size at the time, now it's absolutely fine.

I do have quite small hands, though, so that might not be helping me acclimatise to big-screen phones.

The good thing about Clove (and presumably Handtec as it's standard Distance Selling regulations) is you get 14 days after receiving the phone to decide you don't like it and send it back for a refund (providing it's in good condition). Clove confirmed to me via email I could use this to effectively "try out" the Z3C and see whether or not it feels too small, then if need be send it back, get a refund and buy the normal Z3. They actually encouraged it, so that's what I'll do. Bear in mind this would probably cost a lot in shipping fees etc if you're outside the UK so isn't as useful.

Hoping to not have to go through that though if I like the Z3C enough when it arrives.
I live in the U.S so the shipping fees might be too much for me currently. My current phone has a 4.5'' display and I can pretty much engulf it with my hands. So maybe the Z3 would be good for me.

3phemeral

I just installed Pushbullet. Why is this better than MightyText?

I've never used Mighty Text but now that Hangouts integrates SMS, it's not really a differentiating factor. Pushbullet creates a little pop-up notification of your texts and you have the option of clicking a little reply button if you want to respond. I use Pushbullet primarily to mirror my notifications from my phone to my PC, which makes me less likely to miss something I consider important in instances where I might not be immediately near my phone.

It also has an auto-copy clipboard feature (if you enable it), where you can copy text from your phone and have that clipboard info immediately send it to your PC or vice versa. Works great when you're creating flashcards and you need to use a traditional keyboard (pr are just primarily using your PC for content), but are using a flashcard app on your phone/tablet ti create content.

I also use the auto-open feature a lot when I'm reading news on my phone and run into something that I want to review on my PC later. You can send it to one specific device or all devices and it'll auto open the webpage in your default browser.

Oreoleo

Greetings Android users!

I'm due for an upgrade through Verizon and considering jumping off the iPhone boat and I'm sort of out of my depth looking at all these models of phones I don't know anything about.

If anyone would be so kind, could you tell me which of the following phones is generally considered the best:

HTC One Remix
LG G2
LG G Vista
Moto X
Droid Mini

I realize these are probably a bit behind the curve but getting a new upgrade for free is hard to beat. Or maybe there is a new phone right around the corner that will push another older model down into that free-ish territory, I'd love to know about that as well. Please and thank you!

reKon

Banned
Greetings Android users!

I'm due for an upgrade through Verizon and considering jumping off the iPhone boat and I'm sort of out of my depth looking at all these models of phones I don't know anything about.

If anyone would be so kind, could you tell me which of the following phones is generally considered the best:

HTC One Remix
LG G2
LG G Vista
Moto X
Droid Mini

I realize these are probably a bit behind the curve but getting a new upgrade for free is hard to beat. Or maybe there is a new phone right around the corner that will push another older model down into that free-ish territory, I'd love to know about that as well. Please and thank you!

G2 or Moto X

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Greetings Android users!

HTC One Remix
LG G2
LG G Vista
Moto X
Droid Mini

G2

BUT

Amazon is having sale where the HTC One M8 and LG G3 are only $49.99 to upgrade.

Toki767

Greetings Android users!

HTC One Remix
LG G2
LG G Vista
Moto X
Droid Mini

The G3 for Verizon is $50 on contract at Amazon if that makes a difference.

longdi

Banned

Why Sony, what did you do to the Z3 display? I thought they would have fixed the overdone gamma of Z2 and continue to move towards an accurate calibration ala Apple/HTC (premium phones, need premium colors, not dudebros colors)

WTF is thz shitz? Z3 top, Z2 bottom
showimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php

TRILUMIONOUS MOBILE BRAVIA ENGINE BABY!

they should have multiple color profiles like Samsung or a way to tweak it like LG...

SimleuqiR

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...t-transfer-new-authorization-techniques-much/

It looks like Google is finally making a move to solve the backup problem. Several different methods exist for making a copy of your data, but most of them have problems in usability, reliability, or both. Some advanced users are aware of the really buggy adb backup command, or they opt to blow away their warranty by rooting and then install a tool like Titanium Backup. There are also ways for developers to offer backup and syncing features, but they rely on custom implementations for each and every app, which is very time consuming. If the strings below are any indication, Google is preparing its Drive cloud storage service to be the new home for your backups.

Backup your apps and data</b>" to Google Drive so you can easily restore a device. Data includes apps, app data, system settings and Wi&#8209;Fi passwords. Backups won't affect your storage limit."

Will the Fappening 2 ever happen?

reKon

Banned
I asked this last week but fot no reply. Anyone put a matte screen protector on their phone before? If so, how was it for you and was it worth it? I liked the one that was on my friends iPhone and it felt nice.

Oreoleo

G2

BUT

Amazon is having sale where the HTC One M8 and LG G3 are only $49.99 to upgrade.

The G3 for Verizon is $50 on contract at Amazon if that makes a difference.

$50 G3 @ Amazon sounds like the move you should make.

Thanks for the tips guys, that's a hot deal. The G3 is mighty impressive spec-wise and especially for the price. My one concern I'm seeing brought up in reviews is the battery life. Anyone have impressions on that? Is it as big of a deal as reviews are making it out to be? Also, being new to Android, I'd like to go to Best Buy or wherever in the morning to give the G3 OS a test-drive first *just in case*. Does anyone know how long this Amazon deal is gonna be live? I'd hate to wait a day and have the price shoot back up to $200 or whatever.

Thanks for the tips guys, that's a hot deal. The G3 is mighty impressive spec-wise and especially for the price. My one concern I'm seeing brought up in reviews is the battery life. Anyone have impressions on that? Is it as big of a deal as reviews are making it out to be? Also, being new to Android, I'd like to go to Best Buy or wherever in the morning to give the G3 OS a test-drive first *just in case*. Does anyone know how long this Amazon deal is gonna be live? I'd hate to wait a day and have the price shoot back up to $200 or whatever.

Um if 4-5 hours SOT is bad for you then don't get it. If it's good enough, get it. It's not the best battery out there, but it's pretty damn good. Just a notch below the G2.

the battery life is being compared to the LG G2, which was crazy good. it slays most other devices. it's nowhere near bad, in fact it's great, just a little worse than its predecessor.

woeds

Why Sony, what did you do to the Z3 display? I thought they would have fixed the overdone gamma of Z2 and continue to move towards an accurate calibration ala Apple/HTC (premium phones, need premium colors, not dudebros colors)

WTF is thz shitz? Z3 top, Z2 bottom
showimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php

showimage.php
They did what a lot of manufacterers do: pick a cooler colour temperature so whites seem 'whiter' and more bright.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any info yet on Nexus 9?
What kind of similar tablets are available now?

It's a 64 bit 4:3 ratio tablet running stock Android. Nothing is quite like it. It will be a beast. October 16 is latest rumor. PM me to buy my Nexus 10.

markot

Banned
Do any of you guys use firefox + google play music streaming????????

I always, almost always, when streaming music, get like bzzzt bits here and there. You know when your computer crashes and keeps repeating like 3 sounds over and over and overrrrr till you reset? Its like that, but inside the songs, for like less then a second.... its super annoying.

And I dont like chrome on desktop. Meanwhile I hate firefox on mobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom