• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
For my work they won't allow me to receive work e-mails on a rooted phone. There are some Xposed modules that I want to get. Could just root my phone, download Xposed, get the modules that I want to have on my phone, and then unroot it?

terrier

If you're rooted, there is a Xposed Module called GravityBox that does that and much more.

now that you talk about Xposed, will my N5 upgrade via OTA if rooted and with Xposed or will i have to do it manually by downloading the IMG?

If i'd restore my n5 it would keep root, afaik, but would it receive the OTA?

Groof

now that you talk about Xposed, will my N5 upgrade via OTA if rooted and with Xposed or will i have to do it manually by downloading the IMG?

If i'd restore my n5 it would keep root, afaik, but would it receive the OTA?
For xposed you need to manually uninstall it from within the app before an ota is applicable. As for root, as long as you haven't made any changes to the core system files it will update. However, you will lose root. There might be ways to bypass that these days though.

terrier

For xposed you need to manually uninstall it from within the app before an ota is applicable. As for root, as long as you haven't made any changes to the core system files it will update. However, you will lose root. There might be ways to bypass that these days though.

thanks, i have no problem if i cannot root, i tried the android L preview which i liked a lot, but due to glitches i reverted to 4.4.4 and, and as L is coming soon, i just gave xposed a try for a few months. It is convenient but i can live without it (the only thing to keep it would be disabling Google search bar from homescreen so i can put a clock widget there and still see the wallpaper)

reKon

Banned
And I read this:

UPDATE: We are re-testing the Xperia Z3 Compact at the moment, as it lasted way more than anything we've benchmarked so far on the first run, just to be double certain about its amazing battery life score before we repost it.

Dear lord..
I would post a gif as a response but I'm on mobile and I don't know how to do it. So.. My God this phone never ceases to amaze me.

And I read this:

UPDATE: We are re-testing the Xperia Z3 Compact at the moment, as it lasted way more than anything we've benchmarked so far on the first run, just to be double certain about its amazing battery life score before we repost it.

Dear lord..

We all need to revert back to 720p screens.

reKon

Banned
Damn Z3 gets like 4 more hours than the LoL X 2014 edition!

And three more than the iPhone 6 Plus, lol...

I'm laughing because people in the iPhone 6 thread have been shocked at how good the 6 Plus battery performance is. According to Phone Arena, it's comparable to the HTC M8, which is great, but way behind the Xperia phones. It seems that iPhone 6s battery life wasn't a significant improvement. It's probably going to be a little higher than the Galaxy alpha when tested.

mturco

For my work they won't allow me to receive work e-mails on a rooted phone. There are some Xposed modules that I want to get. Could just root my phone, download Xposed, get the modules that I want to have on my phone, and then unroot it?

Nope, it needs root to work, not just install.

The Nexus 7 (2013) was released in late July. This thing is creeping into Nexus Phone launch territory (last year the Nexus 5 was launched Oct. 31st).

I wonder if Google will launch both the Tablet and a new phone at the same launch event?

Very little leaks in regards the Nexus Phone. I'm worried that it doesn't exist.

Honestly, they should do this. Make it one big thing and it could make waves.

reKon

Banned
No wonder phone arena wanted to redo the test. According to the comments in iPhone 6 test, the Xperia Z3C got 14h 44 min..

Yeah, there's no way

I'm really considering getting out of the Nexus line of phones for this just for the battery life.

I've had experience with Nexus phones and non-Nexus phones, and the only way I can enthusiastically get on board with a non-Nexus is if it has terrific developer support from the community. Despite how great the Z3 Compact seems to be, I just can't go back to manufacturer skins and bullshit OS update schedules (if updates are made at all).

manfestival

anyone here have a moto g(2014) and can speak on personal usage/battery life?I plan on ordering one either today or tomorrow as there does not seem to be any real competition at that price point. The next range of phones is at 300 dollars but all of the reviews of the moto g are glowing and speaking of how great the experience is even on underpowered hardware

I currently am running a galasy s2 and really need some change. I have the htc one m7 but the backlight is messed up so I cant see the screen and I think the connectors are also messed up thanks to water damage. I am looking for a suitable replacement for the galaxy s2.

SimleuqiR

We should have some leaks by now... unless...

:(

Honestly, they should do this. Make it one big thing and it could make waves.

If the Next Nexus phone is based off the Moto X (2014) we are screwed. Usually Google would take a flagship phone like the LG 2 and strip/lower the specs (mainly battery size).

This year might not be that exciting for the Nexus Phone line. We will have to wait and see.

Maiar_m

No leaks that late into the year suggests they either changed the release window or skipped the year completely. It's unimaginable that they'd actually succeeded in keeping anything under wraps.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Last I heard, they were targetting end of October for the Nexus X. Maybe that date has slipped, or they're just being very secretive about it.

SimleuqiR

No leaks that late into the year suggests they either changed the release window or skipped the year completely. It's unimaginable that they'd actually succeeded in keeping anything under wraps.

Well seems like Android Silver was a bust. Maybe they were hoping carriers and OEMs would jump on to it and they actually stop working on the Nexus phone project. Then re-started it once they realized Silver was not happening.

It's always a possibility they will ride out the rest of the year with the Nexus 5. It's not like L wouldn't run on it. It is still an ok phone

Last I heard, they were targetting end of October for the Nexus X. Maybe that date has slipped, or they're just being very secretive about it.

Who really knows. I've read that L will support finger print security on the OS level, and that it's possible that Google will be adding this feature on their new phone. Maybe they need more time for the hardware to be ready.

But at this time last year we had so many leaks. So much so that I already had a quote from Gazelle for my Nexus 4.

j-wood

For anyone on T-Mobile:

Did anyone else get a free jump upgrade? I'm on jump 1 meaning I can do it every 6 months and not have to have half of the phone paid off.

But looking at my account today, it says I'm eligible for a jump. The thing is, I jumped when the G3 came out, which is only a month ago.

I'm hoping this stays this was, as I fully intend to jump to the Z3 if I can as soon as it comes out.

rrvv

deep down I want Nexus phone based on Z3C compact. but they probably wont able to keep the amazing battery life.

Google should ask Sony to share their battery magic

reKon

Banned
I've had experience with Nexus phones and non-Nexus phones, and the only way I can enthusiastically get on board with a non-Nexus is if it has terrific developer support from the community. Despite how great the Z3 Compact seems to be, I just can't go back to manufacturer skins and bullshit OS update schedules (if updates are made at all).

Well it seems that it got decent rom support based on XDA. Sony let's you unlock bootloaders too I think

Paznos

The Nexus 7 (2013) was released in late July. This thing is creeping into Nexus Phone launch territory (last year the Nexus 5 was launched Oct. 31st).

I wonder if Google will launch both the Tablet and a new phone at the same launch event?

Very little leaks in regards the Nexus Phone. I'm worried that it doesn't exist.

Weren't the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 announced at the same time? They'll probably do the same this year with the 9 and 6?

BumRush

Android GAF, I just bought an S5 (moved from iPhone 5). What are some things I NEED to know? Cool features / apps I have to have? Best launcher? Etc.

THANK YOU!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Weren't the Nexus 10 and Nexus 4 announced at the same time? They'll probably do the same this year with the 9 and 6?

Yep. But there are no phone leaks this time around. The Nexus 5 was leaked so hard.

Android GAF, I just bought an S5 (moved from iPhone 5). What are some things I NEED to know? Cool features / apps I have to have? Best launcher? Etc.

THANK YOU!!

Just use the phone and worry about tinkering with it later.

Jigolo

Google should just follow its Pixel aspect ratio. 3:2. Give me that consistency all around....oh wait this is google

Change the launcher to Nova, Action or Google experience launcher asap. Download playboard to see recommended apps for each activity you care about.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Haha I will use the phone. Just looking for some helpful tips.

That's my helpful tip. Just use the phone and don't worry about tinkering with it. You'll appreciate it for what it is and learn what annoys you and what doesn't. Then let's talk on how to fix things. We can help much better then.

solarus

I think we'll see nexus 9 in october alongside the official android l launch and the nexus x will release in november or december but might be teased when they launch android l in october.
I'm torn between the z3 compact, galaxy note 4 and waiting to see what the nexus x offers before pulling the trigger on my next phone.
The z3 line has crazy good battery life, I might just give in instead of waiting for the nexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom