• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't care what phone other people use but when people say they like the iPhone because it's "simple" I can't help but hear "I'm stupid".

longdi

Banned
Pretty much my situation. I'm not sure how 5.2'' would feel in my hands. My hand is not small by any means though. They're kinda big actually.

Having played with Z3 and Z3C, Sony needs to fire the engineers who thought that Google homepage looking blue is a cool idea! It really hurts first impressions because the colors look toyish. Sure i can adjust the white balance, but it is much harder than Z2 to get white looking white. And the new slim fonts makes the Z3 look even more toyish. bleh!

Other than that, i found Z3 noticeably lighter than Z2 and now that it comes with curve sides, 5.2" is not 'big', unless you have petite female hands. The build is still premium though the lighter profile and flatter buttons make it less so than the Z2 imo.

For Z3C, the additional 0.3" to the screen makes a whole lot of difference! I wont recommend Z1C as an everyday phone because the screen is too cramp, but Z3C is highly recommended for a smaller phone.

Here is a look at Z3C vs IP6, notice how much taller the 6 is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dThP9xatPdE

If the thousands would line up for the IP6+, the smaller Z3 will works fine for most, you just need to get used to a larger phone!

longdi

Banned
Another thing i noticed with Z3, if you remember the digitalizer touch sensors dots of Z2, the 'dots' on the Z3 looks entirely different and totally packed across the screen. They looks more like visible IPS arrays. Either Sony increased the touch sensors by a whole lot, or they are bonding the IPS panel really really close to the glass screen that it becomes clearly visible with the screen off. It could explain how they managed to achieve the high max brightness.

A word of advise for Sony, please display the red/green Z3C instead of the white, because the average joes are commenting the white Z3C looks like an iphone ripoff...:rolleyes

obin_gam

Just pre-ordered a Z3C! A green one.

I have had a Galaxy S2 for the past three years and I like that particular size, hence not getting an "ordinary" Z3... although the Z3 has way prettier colors.

Hasney

Just pre-ordered a Z3C! A green one.

I have had a Galaxy S2 for the past three years and I like that particular size, hence not getting an "ordinary" Z3... although the Z3 has way prettier colors.

Are you in the UK by any chance? I can't find a green one of either here.

-PXG-

Sony needs to get their shit together in the US. :/ I've never seen any of their phones in the wild.

Next year, I want a Sony made Nexus device. Make it happen.

Biochet

help me androidgaf

how long till a new htc one is released? the current m8 looks amazing and my iphone is getting a bit clunky, should i buy an m8 now or wait?

Volotaire

help me androidgaf

how long till a new htc one is released? the current m8 looks amazing and my iphone is getting a bit clunky, should i buy an m8 now or wait?

There are a few models of HTC One:

- The HTC One Eye, rumoured for reveal at the Nexus 9 HTC made tablet on October 9th, will have a 13 MP camera instead of a ultrapixel. camera. If it is better, it remains to be seen.

- The next big release of the HTC One will be the M9 , revealed in March nest year and released late March/early April next year. This will be flagship.

- There were rumours of the HTC One Max being delayed until march next year along with the HTC One M9, but it could be that the HTC One Eye is the HtC One Max. the HTC One Max is a phablet version with a 5.9 inch screen of the HTC One. Look to evleaks for more info, his last tweets revealed the info.

Biochet

Are you looking for the plastic M8 or waiting for a potential m8 maxx?

nah brah, im all about that sexy metal

There are a few models of HTC One:

- The HTC One Eye, rumoured for reveal at the Nexus 9 HTC made tablet on October 9th, will have a 13 MP camera instead of a ultrapixel. camera. If it is better, it remains to be seen.

- The next big release of the HTC One will be the M9 , revealed in March nest year and released late March/early April next year. This will be flagship.

- There were rumours of the HTC One Max being delayed until march next year along with the HTC One M9, but it could be that the HTC One Eye is the HtC One Max. the HTC One Max is a phablet version with a 5.9 inch screen of the HTC One. Look to evleaks for more info, his last tweets revealed the info.

i dont think i can hold out until april, but i really dont wanna get one now and end up regretting it later. #fwp

thanks for the info volo.

Having played with Z3 and Z3C, Sony needs to fire the engineers who thought that Google homepage looking blue is a cool idea! It really hurts first impressions because the colors look toyish. Sure i can adjust the white balance, but it is much harder than Z2 to get white looking white. And the new slim fonts makes the Z3 look even more toyish. bleh!

Other than that, i found Z3 noticeably lighter than Z2 and now that it comes with curve sides, 5.2" is not 'big', unless you have petite female hands. The build is still premium though the lighter profile and flatter buttons make it less so than the Z2 imo.

For Z3C, the additional 0.3" to the screen makes a whole lot of difference! I wont recommend Z1C as an everyday phone because the screen is too cramp, but Z3C is highly recommended for a smaller phone.

Here is a look at Z3C vs IP6, notice how much taller the 6 is?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dThP9xatPdE

If the thousands would line up for the IP6+, the smaller Z3 will works fine for most, you just need to get used to a larger phone!
Sounds good to me. I just have to get used to a 5.2'' display coming from a 4.5'' LG Spirit. Ans as I said, my hands are pretty big so I should be just fine. This will be my first flagship phone so I am excited. Looking at how snappy the Z3's ui is pleases me. I wonder if the Z4 will be heavily upgraded.

Does anyone know when T-Mobile should be getting the Z3 and Z3c? I would like to hold both in my hands.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
help me androidgaf

Wait for the October event, and then make a choice. I'd agree waiting till April would be hard.

EmiPrime

We're looking to upgrade my mum's phone from a 3GS to something a bit more current. Tempted to get her a Nexus 5 so the whole family has one. The Z3C is nice but £260 for the Nexus 5 probably can't be beat.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
We're looking to upgrade my mum's phone from a 3GS to something a bit more current. Tempted to get her a Nexus 5 so the whole family has one. The Z3C is nice but £260 for the Nexus 5 probably can't be beat.

Save some money and get her a Moto G unless she is really into tech. There aren't any services that require her to have e exact same phone.

Volotaire

I hope HTC don't copy the design lines of the iPhone 6 to curve it on the top and bottom on the top and bottom. For some reason, Apple designed an ugly phone on the back side. It still doesn't excuse the ugly second camera on HTC's handset either, and some other minor points.

Do you guys have any recommendations for SMS Apps? I'm getting sick of using the GS5's default messenger, and I'm not too keen on google hangouts either. Same thing for the email (gmail) app.

Do you guys have any recommendations for SMS Apps? I'm getting sick of using the GS5's default messenger, and I'm not too keen on google hangouts either. Same thing for the email (gmail) app.

What is your issue with hangouts if you don't mind me asking? I think its slowly developing into the best messenger on android. IMO

GrapeApes

What is your issue with hangouts if you don't mind me asking? I think its slowly developing into the best messenger on android. IMO

One thing I don't like is the fact I can't search for a keyword in Android. I hate having to scroll all the way up to find a conversation I had weeks back.

Anyone know if Android has text shortcuts ala iOS?

On my iPhone I have @@ and @@@ as short codes for two of my email addresses, but I can't seem to find a setting to do this with the native Android keyboard on my Nexus 7.

I like the aesthetics of it but the notification and other settings seem pretty lacking compared to some other apps

I like textra a lot so far but I wish I could move where the notification shows up on my lock screen. I also don't like how clicking the notification on the lock screen kind of bypasses the security.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hope HTC don't copy the design lines of the iPhone 6 to curve it on the top and bottom on the top and bottom. For some reason, Apple designed an ugly phone on the back side. It still doesn't excuse the ugly second camera on HTC's handset either, and some other minor points.

I'm still pretty surprised that HTC built a better looking metal phone than Apple this year.

Groof

Anyone know if Android has text shortcuts ala iOS?

On my iPhone I have @@ and @@@ as short codes for two of my email addresses, but I can't seem to find a setting to do this with the native Android keyboard on my Nexus 7.

Yes there is.

Go to Language & input -> Personal dictionary -> (choose language if necessary) -> Press the + button -> Type in a word and shortcut below it.

Yes there is.

Go to Language & input -> Personal dictionary -> (choose language if necessary) -> Press the + button -> Type in a word and shortcut below it.

I had actually been in that section looking for it but thought it was only for words that I didn't want Android keep trying to change into something else.

Thanks for the help! :)

reKon

Banned
I'm still pretty surprised that HTC built a better looking metal phone than Apple this year.

The M7 was still the best looking phone I've ever seen. It felt so nice. God I miss that phone. If HTC expanded the screen by removing the HTC logo at the bottom and expanded the sides, improved the camera, included an SD card slot, and had at least a 2600 mah battery while maintaining the exact size, the phone would be perfect

It's a $30 difference to get a much nicer screen? On top of getting access to the much faster internet. It's like a dollar a month more on the bill. What's the problem?

Ooh ooh ooh lemme get this one.

Ahem something something something can't notice the difference something something battery life.

jokkir

IhbnjSD.jpg

FK57mcv.jpg

You guys think the Moto X (2014) battery is bad? This is Nexus 4 on Android L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom