• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menaged

My brother has an HTC One m7 at&t branded, but unlocked so he's using it outside the US.

Every few hours or so, a message pops on the screen indicating that no new update was found. I'd like to stop the device from looking for any updates, or at least not display the message.

After googling for a while, I didn't find a solution for this problem.
Any ideas?

Thanks

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can you be more descriptive? I'm a developer but have done very little android.
I think it depends, but an app can define several layouts per resolution.

So a small resolution layout would be simple, while a larger one could have more things on it.

PaulLFC

Has anyone upgraded from a Nexus 4 (or phone with similar screen size, around 4.7") to a phone with a 5"+ screen? If so how did you find the upgrade? Easy to get used to the bigger screen?

I keep going backwards and forwards between keeping my Z3 Compact preorder, and going for the 'big' Z3 instead. I tried testing out the Z2 in a store and it felt 'alright', although it's tough to judge when the phone is practically locked to the display stand and has a giant clip on the back of it.

Can't decide if slightly downgrading screen size from my N4 is a good idea. At least I have a few days to make the decision since it doesn't look like it's getting dispatched until Thursday at the earliest.

So a small resolution layout would be simple, while a larger one could have more things on it.

If I remember right with the eclpise ide you pick your resolution/device and it defines the form based on that size. Which is why I see a non widescreen tablet being an issue.

No one has been building 4:3 interfaces

I just want an announcement of an HTC M9 with a 8 ultrapixel duo camera, OIS, IP68 rating, Android L and Z3C like battery life. is that so much to ask?

;__;
That would be a great phone. I plan on going back to Nexus phones though, so I'm hoping they finally release a phone with good battery life. If Motorola really is making it, I really hope it's based on the upcoming VERIZON DROID MAXX 4GLTE, minus the QHD display. I need 3000mAh at least for the battery.

mturco

Can you be more descriptive? I'm a developer but have done very little android.

If I remember right with the eclpise ide you pick your resolution/device and it defines the form based on that size. Which is why I see a non widescreen tablet being an issue.

No one has been building 4:3 interfaces

Some elements of truth here but it's a little different. Each "screen" in Android (called an activity) can have multiple different layouts (defined in XML code) that are applied depending on the device and/or circumstance. For example, you can (and any good app will) have a separate layout for landscape than for portrait. You do not, however, need a separate layout for each resolution/PPI/screen ratio which is what I was getting at originally. (Although as hateradio pointed out, you can and in some cases should to alter the information density on smaller screens.) Android uses scaling and weighting to determine the size of onscreen UI elements. Sizes/positions defined in pixels are defined using scale-independent pixels (SP) or density-independent pixels (DP). This allows for a button on a 200 PPI screen to be the same relative size as a button on a 400 PPI screen.

Generally speaking, Android layouts are by definition scalable and are not reliant on any particular resolution, screen ratio, or PPI.

Edit: More information here.

Some elements of truth here but it's a little different. Each "screen" in Android (called an activity) can have multiple different layouts (defined in XML code) that are applied depending on the device and/or circumstance. For example, you can (and any good app will) have a separate layout for landscape than for portrait. You do not, however, need a separate layout for each resolution/PPI/screen ratio which is what I was getting at originally. (Although as hateradio pointed out, you can and in some cases should to alter the information density on smaller screens.) Android uses scaling and weighting to determine the size of onscreen UI elements. Sizes/positions defined in pixels are defined using scale-independent pixels (SP) or density-independent pixels (DP). This allows for a button on a 200 PPI screen to be the same relative size as a button on a 400 PPI screen.

Generally speaking, Android layouts are by definition scalable and are not reliant on any particular resolution, screen ratio, or PPI.

Edit: More information here.

Fantastic response. Thank you

Easy_G

Is there anyway of recreating the "reachability" feature on the new iPhone? Apparently newer Samsung phones have something similar, but I'm on a Moto X.

Doopliss

Is there anyway of recreating the "reachability" feature on the new iPhone? Apparently newer Samsung phones have something similar, but I'm on a Moto X.

fngext64-003-740x740.jpg

Fatalah

Hmm, the Starbucks app updated today with Android L support. Would be cool to see a list of how many of the top apps are ready for Android L.

I feel like we're almost there!

yyzjohn

Banned
Hmm, the Starbucks app updated today with Android L support. Would be cool to see a list of how many of the top apps are ready for Android L.

I feel like we're almost there!

Hopefully it's around the corner. I think quite a few apps are L ready as people have been using that preview build since July.

Rooting a Nexus device should be mandatory with how easy it is.

but but...I wouldnt know what new things to add to gain any advantage from rooting anyway!

Plus I heard you lose all your stuff on your phone!
Not sure I have anything on my phone that wouldnt get brought in from the cloud anyway though, haha

Jigolo

I only root my phone when its not supported by Google anymore like my Galaxy Nexus. Then make it look as bone stock as possible using cm11 nightlies.

I want z3 news

I want Android L news

I kinda want the new Nexus tablet news

I just want news. fuck

I'm buying a Galaxy Note 4, so I got all the phone news I needed already

I still want a new Nexus 10 but it seems that Google has given up on competing with the common iPad size

I want z3 news

I want Android L news

I kinda want the new Nexus tablet news

I just want news. fuck

So much this. I just want to be able to make decisions on phones and tablets. I will never understand why Sony announces products and then never mentions them again.

Say what you will about Apple, but at least they announce a product and then release the damn thing.

PaulLFC

I've decided pre-ordering a phone more than a couple of days before release isn't a good idea for me.

Decided to change my Z3 Compact order for a Z3 after visiting the Z3 "Tour bus" before and getting to try both phones out. Z3 feels a lot better, and much more manageable, than I expected.

Apologies to those who I said I'd get impressions of the Z3 Compact to, it seems we have a least a couple of others on the thread who are ordering so hopefully there will still be impressions about.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Problem is the Moto X 2014 sucked so we haven't had any meaningful new hardware release in forever nor have we had any super big OS changes either.

Plus the tablet realm is just coasting.

It's not bad per say in Android land, but it sure as fuck is boring.

Problem is the Moto X 2014 sucked so we haven't had any meaningful new hardware release in forever nor have we had any super big OS changes either.

Plus the tablet realm is just coasting.

It's not bad per say in Android land, but it sure as fuck is boring.

Agreed. I also just want the final announcements to be out of the way so i can make a purchasing decision.

solarus

I've decided pre-ordering a phone more than a couple of days before release isn't a good idea for me.

Decided to change my Z3 Compact order for a Z3 after visiting the Z3 "Tour bus" before and getting to try both phones out. Z3 feels a lot better, and much more manageable, than I expected.

Apologies to those who I said I'd get impressions of the Z3 Compact to, it seems we have a least a couple of others on the thread who are ordering so hopefully there will still be impressions about.
After trying them in person, what made you choose the z3 over the compact in the end?
I was going to get the z3 compact but the z3 was going for £430 on amazon for a short period yesterday so I've preordered that. May or may not cancel it before it dispatches next week and wait for the nexus or note 4.

PaulLFC

After trying them in person, what made you choose the z3 over the compact in the end?
I was going to get the z3 compact but the z3 was going for £430 on amazon for a short period yesterday so I've preordered that. May or may not cancel it before it dispatches next week and wait for the nexus or note 4.
Purely the additional screen space. The Compact was still a very, very nice phone and if you're happy with that screen size you won't regret getting it. I'd been going backwards and forwards between the Compact and the Z3 though ever since I preordered the Z3C, and hearing that the 'tour bus' was in town gave me the opportunity to try them both out. The Z3 ended up feeling more manageable than I expected, I'd feared it'd be too big since I don't have huge hands. It seemed fine though, so I decided to go for that.

The Z3 looks so good though, and the specs seem great. Personally I'm happy it's gone with a 1080p screen over a higher res one, helps with the ridiculously good battery life.

Tornhelm

Neo Member
Android GAF, I just bought an S5 (moved from iPhone 5). What are some things I NEED to know? Cool features / apps I have to have? Best launcher? Etc.

THANK YOU!!

The main thing you need to know is to make sure you've completely detached your number from iMessage and iCloud. Otherwise when other iPhone users try and send you messages, you won't see them because Apple is a piece of shit that hijacks the SMS and turns it into a message through the cloud.

If you haven't disconnected your phone number from Apples services it can literally take a month and a half before you start recieving messages from people you know who are using iPhones. You can use this guide from BusinessInsider as a decent reference of what needs to be done so you'll get messages properly.

solarus

Purely the additional screen space. The Compact was still a very, very nice phone and if you're happy with that screen size you won't regret getting it. I'd been going backwards and forwards between the Compact and the Z3 though ever since I preordered the Z3C, and hearing that the 'tour bus' was in town gave me the opportunity to try them both out. The Z3 ended up feeling more manageable than I expected, I'd feared it'd be too big since I don't have huge hands. It seemed fine though, so I decided to go for that.

The Z3 looks so good though, and the specs seem great. Personally I'm happy it's gone with a 1080p screen over a higher res one, helps with the ridiculously good battery life.
Thanks, I'll think it over but I may just keep the z3 preorder. They are both solid phones with monstrous battery either way.

That would be a great phone. I plan on going back to Nexus phones though, so I'm hoping they finally release a phone with good battery life. If Motorola really is making it, I really hope it's based on the upcoming VERIZON DROID MAXX 4GLTE, minus the QHD display. I need 3000mAh at least for the battery.

I never got the appeal of nexus phones. It's vanilla android, but you can run vanilla android on any phone after rooting. Everything else about them seems mediocre?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You could fully drain the Moto X 2014 fully recharge it and the Z3 and Z3C would both still be going on their initial charge according to those charts. LoLzers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom