• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it possible to change the lock screen like how nova launcher changes the home screen?

edit: also has anyone figured out a way to root the verizon galaxy s5 yet?

So my nexus 7 2nd gen is acting weird.
The keyboard is sometimes unresponsive.
Sometimes if i press juat one key, it would press multiple keys.
I use stock keyboard btw, I also tried other keyboard. Problem is still there.

thuway

Did anyone notice this from the PhoneArena Xperia Z3 review:

The phone lasted for nearly nine and a half hours of screen-on time when we ran our grueling battery benchmark, putting it comfortably ahead of any other flagship big-screen phone or phablet we've tested at the moment, even beating handsets with huge batteries like the Ascend Mate7. The Z3 battery endurance is also better than the one of the Z2, which already has a great battery life, so kudos to Sony here - it managed to squeeze much more life out of a tad smaller battery, compared to the Z2, and make a truly "two-day battery".

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ooh ooh ooh lemme get this one.

Ahem something something something can't notice the difference something something battery life.
Hah, I love that ridiculous response. Let's just go back to the retina display screens.

Benedict

I'm not allowed to sell internationally on ebay since I haven't sold anything before on ebay. :(
I have three invites for OnePlus One I would like to part with and in need for money... :(
Suggestions?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I want to sell my old phones. The best way to do this is to encrypt the phone and then do a factory reset right?

I really hope Google is going to update the phone icon in the final Android L build. That shit is so hideous. Worse than the current icon.

sdijoseph

So I am looking to get a new phone on Verizon sometime before the end of the year. I would prefer a Nexus phone, but I highly doubt that Verizon will carry a Nexus again. I think the best option for me is hoping the xperia z3 gets on Verizon. I am upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus and my main frustration with it is the poor battery life if you use that screen for an extended amount of time. Does anyone have a better suggestion for verizon phones though (this can include rumored devices for Q4 2014)?

Fox318

So I am looking to get a new phone on Verizon sometime before the end of the year. I would prefer a Nexus phone, but I highly doubt that Verizon will carry a Nexus again. I think the best option for me is hoping the xperia z3 gets on Verizon. I am upgrading from a Galaxy Nexus and my main frustration with it is the poor battery life if you use that screen for an extended amount of time. Does anyone have a better suggestion for verizon phones though (this can include rumored devices for Q4 2014)?
G3 is pretty good.

get the note 4

tzare

I wonder if that slower screen response time compared to other flagships is one of the reasons of this improved battery life. If it is a software only thing sony should try to give its other phones the same treatment, at least the latest ones and all Z series

Crisco

Banned
I'm not entirely sure I can use another smartphone without Knock ON. Do LG's tablets have it? I inadvertently try it on every touchscreen device I pickup now.

I'm not entirely sure I can use another smartphone without Knock ON. Do LG's tablets have it? I inadvertently try it on every touchscreen device I pickup now.

I'm sure they do. As far as I know on the Android side: LG phones and tablets, HTC M8, OnePlus One, Tablet Z. Z2 and Z3. Not sure if any other devices have it.

VanWinkle

I officially bought the G3. For wanting to spend $50 or less on contract, I think I made the right decision after a load of research.

Keyouta

I'm going to go from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 4. I really want good battery life, and I like that Samsung's phones have a user replaceable battery.

NotBacon

Yes..? It's still bad no matter what rom I'm using

I'm just saying an unofficial port of a half finished product probably isn't the best representation of the final product.

Hah, I love that ridiculous response. Let's just go back to the retina display screens.

But Jobs said...

But seriously, have you tried a QHD screen and can you actually tell the difference?

So I am looking to get a new phone on Verizon sometime before the end of the year. I would prefer a Nexus phone, but I highly doubt that Verizon will carry a Nexus again. I think the best option for me is hoping the xperia z3 gets on Verizon.

Get the Moto X if you want a Nexus experience (and Moto app).
Get the Z3 (yes it's coming to big V) if you want extreme battery life.

if you prefer a nexus because you're one of those VERSION NUMBER UPDATES NOW NOW NOW people, get a Moto X. you'll get a near stock Nexus experience, including less than stellar battery and camera, true to the Nexus brand. if you want a good deal, get a G3 on Amazon for $50 w/2yr. also, there's the Note 4 out soon.

Toki767

Two things I never noticed about the G3 till today. They use L style lockscreen notifications for missed calls and texts with the default messaging app and LG made their own nice visual voicemail app.

Blackhead

Redarse
Two things I never noticed about the G3 till today. They use L style lockscreen notifications for missed calls and texts with the default messaging app and LG made their own nice visual voicemail app.

More on this please? I've been pissed off for a while that Google hasn't added this to Android

Blackhead

Redarse
Don't carriers want people to be forced into their paid voice mail shit?

The Big 3 carriers in Canada actually charge a separate fee for visual voicemail in addition to an initial charge for voicemail! Ridiculous.

Anyway, Apple has the visual voicemail built into the iPhone dialer app and it is stored on the device (this means for example that if I switch carriers, I can still save my old visual voicemails). Google also added visual voicemail to the stock Android phone app back in ICS(?) but I've been unable to use it because it only works in the US and/or requires Google Voice. Some carriers provide their own visual voice app, and there are some paid third party apps, but it offers a shitty experience :/

PaulLFC

Is there a way to tell Google search what order to display results in?

By that I mean it seems to think displaying web history when you do a partial search is more important than showing apps that are actually installed on the phone, which is just silly. I can click "Search phone" to get it to list apps that match the search instead of web pages, but it feels like that should be the default behaviour, or at the very least an option.

More on this please? I've been pissed off for a while that Google hasn't added this to Android
It's been in Android for a while actually. Since like ICS(?), I believe. Though it's not as seamless as on iOS. I use Google Voice, and I guess now Hangouts, for visual voicemail with my carrier number. No Google Voice number needed.

u2jOhUF.jpg

So looks like my OPO battery is getting better.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
So, chaps, I was wondering if there's any way to reduce the amount of time that the volume slider is on screen.

If I changed the volume using the buttons, the slider stays on the screen for too long. This is a gripe I've had with Android for a long time. Any tips?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Glad to see your battery woes are better Jazzy. The OPO battery is a beast and should see more improvements in the next OTA.

jesalr

Since we're talking about batteries, I've been noticing Pocket Casts has a really long Keep Awake time, keeping awake the entire time I'm listening, causing my battery to kinda just plummet. Do all apps that access media on the device do that? I remember having battery issues with other podcast players, but they usually had Android Media Server playing a huge part.

MattDoza

So, chaps, I was wondering if there's any way to reduce the amount of time that the volume slider is on screen.

If I changed the volume using the buttons, the slider stays on the screen for too long. This is a gripe I've had with Android for a long time. Any tips?

If you're watching a video, tapping an open area on the screen usually toggles it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom