• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can Miracast only do pure screen mirroring or can it play videos the way Apple TV does?

Because the screen mirroring lags and I can't put my phone on sleep while the video is playing.

The way Apple TV does it of course is that the phone/tablet sends the video URL to the Apple TV, all the processing is done by the TV, whereas things are a little different with Miracast, unless there is an option I'm missing?

The only exception to this is when I went into VLC the video didn't play on my phone (black screen with video controls came up) but I couldn't put my phone on sleep, so there was still some kind of mirroring going on.

I was hoping having an Android phone and using Miracast will get rid of needing a box, but am I correct in saying I'll need Chromecast to do what I want? Ahh well at least it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Mindwipe

Can Miracast only do pure screen mirroring or can it play videos the way Apple TV does?

Because the screen mirroring lags and I can't put my phone on sleep while the video is playing.

The way Apple TV does it of course is that the phone/tablet sends the video URL to the Apple TV, all the processing is done by the TV, whereas things are a little different with Miracast, unless there is an option I'm missing?

The only exception to this is when I went into VLC the video didn't play on my phone (black screen with video controls came up) but I couldn't put my phone on sleep, so there was still some kind of mirroring going on.

I was hoping having an Android phone and using Miracast will get rid of needing a box, but am I correct in saying I'll need Chromecast to do what I want? Ahh well at least it doesn't take up a lot of space.

Miracast is supposed to be a wireless HDMI protocol, it is screen mirroring by definition really.

A Chromecast will do what you want.

AppleTV actually only does what you want in a tiny minority of circumstances. Apple's fault for describing six different operations under one brand name at this point, despite them working in completely different ways. A video operator has to go to quite some extent to make Apple TV take the stream destination only as described.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hi all,

Builds for Android 5.0 have been released.

The following are the builds, tags, and devices supported:
- LRX21M, android-5.0.0_r2, Nexus Player fugu
- LRX21L, android-5.0.0_r1, Nexus 9 volantis

Additional devices support are coming soon.

Thanks!

bill

Thanks Bill. Factory img and OTA soon pls.

Link.

kehs

Banned
ooh baby i like it raw
ntOqK0I.png

yea baby I like raw

i subscribed to the nexus 5 image file and i got really excited when I saw a push notification. For some reason it sent me 5 notifications the last 5 releases lol. #trolled

you'll need a Chromecast.

Miracast is supposed to be a wireless HDMI protocol, it is screen mirroring by definition really.

A Chromecast will do what you want.

AppleTV actually only does what you want in a tiny minority of circumstances. Apple's fault for describing six different operations under one brand name at this point, despite them working in completely different ways. A video operator has to go to quite some extent to make Apple TV take the stream destination only as described.

Thanks guys. Shame it isn't built into the TV, hopefully by the time I make my next TV purchase in several years Sony will have Android/Chromecast built in :p.

manfestival

I think the moto g simply could use a RAM upgrade and it would have been the perfect budget phone. great phone regardless but I do feel the limitations with the ram quite often. everything else is nothing short of amazing

thespot84

Thanks guys. Shame it isn't built into the TV, hopefully by the time I make my next TV purchase in several years Sony will have Android/Chromecast built in :p.

I think android TV's are supposed to be available in 2015, and they'll include chromecast's DIAL casting functionality. The future is now

NotBacon

I knew someone would say this Ahahahahahah
I usually tend to stick with Sony when it comes to Android (I've been a Sony Ericsson user for years now)

Yeah, thought so. Hmmm, still deciding if I should continue with Android or go WP.

Thanks for the help guys ;)
MOTO G!!!!

If you go Moto G, you'll get to shower in Lollipop goodness in about a month.

Toki767

Hmm...rumors are that Samsung are starting from scratch with the S6.

I hope that means they finally get rid of their stupid home button. They may as well just save that space for a better fingerprint scanner.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

That's a damn sexy phone.

I'm still in contract.. and need to go unlocked.. but I wan't one of these larger phones for work.. OnePlus's horrible communication about the invite policy is annoying as hell.. but damn.. that Nexus is twice the price.

If I knew I could just score a OnePlus week or so I'd do it.. but then again.. it's not like I can buy a unlocked 6 either.

Damn supply and demand.

Jigolo

I think that back of the Nexus 6 is really ugly. The Nexus logo has no business being that big on a phone and that shit clashes so hard with the Moto dimple.

I thought that they were decent with their flagships in terms of updated. It's their low to mid range that they treat like shit I thought
and those are what he was considering lol. Even for their flagships though I wouldn't trust it. You know they'll say something and then delay it.

Holy shit... wth Sony.

I might look at the MotoG then.
It's not like you're settling for less. IMO the newest moto G >>> those.

NervousXtian

Wait, what's this shit.. just looking on the AT&T site.. they are going to charge me $25 more a month if I buy a phone on a 2yr contract now? ..but I can save that $25 a month by doing the AT&T Next BS.

Damn... AT&T.. that's some shady shit.

Drifters

Wait, what's this shit.. just looking on the AT&T site.. they are going to charge me $25 more a month if I buy a phone on a 2yr contract now? ..but I can save that $25 a month by doing the AT&T Next BS.

Huh? I don't think that's right if you do the standard 2 yr agreement.

Husker86

You can save $25/month by being off contract. That's it. It's not shady at all.

Now, if you're saving $25/month and then want to sign a contract then, yes, you will have to pay that $25 extra each month while you're under contract. Or you can do the Next plan and pay off your phone ($0 down) over 20 payments and save money when compared to going the contract route.

Either way, they aren't increasing the on-contract prices (if that's what you're currently paying).

NervousXtian

Huh? I don't think that's right if you do the standard 2 yr agreement.

They didn't raise the prices if you already are in a contract.. it's what happens when you are done with that contract.

You can save $25/month by being off contract. That's it. It's not shady at all.

Now, if you're saving $25/month and then want to sign a contract then, yes, you will have to pay that $25 extra each month while you're under contract. Or you can do the Next plan and pay off your phone ($0 down) over 20 payments and save money when compared to going the contract route.

Either way, they aren't increasing the on-contract prices (if that's what you're currently paying).

they raised the prices?

The shared plan works like this now.. you pay for the data amount and then you pay a set amount per phone.

2yr Contract price is $40 per line.

No contract phone or AT&T Next is $25 per line for 300mb, 1gb and 3gb plan.. and $15 per line for 10gb and up plans.

So if my wife upgraded her phone that's able to be upgraded on a new 2yr (to get the discount priced phone) we'd pay $40 for that line.. where as we pay $15 for that line now.. so it's $25 more. If she keeps her same phone or we go outright by a phone.. we can stay at $15.. or go AT&T next and same $25 (which BTW works out better in a stupid ass way).

So yes, they raised the On-Contract prices if you sign a new contract.. they never did that shit before. They want people on Next.

So anyhow.. I can upgrade my shitty iPhone 5s with Next right now.. but not sure what to get... I want a phablet.. so Note 4.. wait for Nexus 6.. or continue my fruitless search for a OPO invite and not have to fuck with Next. I'm not forking out $700 for a phone I know that.

BTW, forgot to mention they charge you $40 to upgrade on the 2-yr commit on top of the price for the phone.. no charge for Next.

Husker86

They didn't raise the prices if you already are in a contract.. it's what happens when you are done with that contract.

The shared plan works like this now.. you pay for the data amount and then you pay a set amount per phone.

2yr Contract price is $40 per line.

No contract phone or AT&T Next is $25 per line for 300mb, 1gb and 3gb plan.. and $15 per line for 10gb and up plans.

So if my wife upgraded her phone that's able to be upgraded on a new 2yr (to get the discount priced phone) we'd pay $40 for that line.. where as we pay $15 for that line now.. so it's $25 more. If she keeps her same phone or we go outright by a phone.. we can stay at $15.. or go AT&T next and same $25 (which BTW works out better in a stupid ass way).

So yes, they raised the On-Contract prices if you sign a new contract.. they never did that shit before. They want people on Next.

So anyhow.. I can upgrade my shitty iPhone 5s with Next right now.. but not sure what to get... I want a phablet.. so Note 4.. wait for Nexus 6.. or continue my fruitless search for a OPO invite and not have to fuck with Next. I'm not forking out $700 for a phone I know that.

BTW, forgot to mention they charge you $40 to upgrade on the 2-yr commit on top of the price for the phone.. no charge for Next.

If you were on contract and switched to their new plans at the reduced rate (which they allowed some people to do in order to raise awareness of the new structure), then you were technically saving money you shouldn't have been eligible for.

I don't want to derail too much, but I bet if you looked back at the numbers, you'll see that what you were paying a couple of years ago is likely higher than what you'd pay now on Next (for family plans), over time. One way or another, you are paying full price for the phone whether it be up front or over time with higher plan prices. At least with Next, when you pay it off, your price drops back down (and it's only 20 months of installments, not 24 months locked under contract).

The upgrade fee is bullshit all around but makes Next an even better value, though I won't defend any carrier on that front.

As for phones, if you want something that size then I think waiting for the Nexus 6 would be the best bet. I'm sure someone who posted a couple posts up could give some good arguments for the Note 4 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom