• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

"I wanted to test Googles Android to see how Googles software guys built their vision of Android, so I knowingly and intentionally went and ignored both the GPE version of the phone I bought unlocked (and therefore at the same price) and the Nexus 5 and bought a skinned M8 instead.

Then I wrote this article that literally complains about nothing but HTC's software. And in the end I proclaim that I am blaming Googles software developers for HTC's software, because reasons."

Yeah... troll article. I enjoyed the mental gymnastics on display there. "I didn't buy a nexus or a GPE because they don't sell enough!" What the fuck? I enjoy the part where he complains about being given the choice of software to use. "I was given the choice to make an application association for a file type like Windows And MacOS.... that sucks, because what if I want to change it later? Then I would have to go into settings to change it! NOOOOOOOOOooooo!"

MarkusRJR

Can't decide between getting a Moto E with a Moto 360 (upon release) or getting an Oppo Find 7a. Only other real options in my mind are a Nexus 5 or OnePlus One, but the former has poor battery life and the latter is going to be near impossible to get. The pull towards the Moto E over the Moto G is that it has expandable storage and not needing to unlock it from Rogers since it comes unlocked with no Rogers bloat.

I don't really do much power user stuff on my phone. It's basically just light web browsing on NeoGAF, YouTube, podcasts, calling/texting, listening/streaming music, and occasionally a simple game (want to play Chrono Trigger and maybe Wordament). I don't really do snapchat or anything, but I do the occasional instagram posting so if I get the Moto E I might miss that.

I'm not really sure which way to go. I'm a huge watch man and the Moto 360 is definitely something I'm going to want unless it has super ass battery life. The Oppo Find 7a definitely looks nice though... but if I know I'm going to want the Moto 360 I shouldn't get the Find 7a (for money reasons). I'm moving over from Windows Phone land (though I have used android before), so anyone want to chime in?

Cipherr

Can't decide between getting a Moto E with a Moto 360 (upon release) or getting an Oppo Find 7a. Only other real options in my mind are a Nexus 5 or OnePlus One, but the former has poor battery life and the latter is going to be near impossible to get. The pull towards the Moto E over the Moto G is that it has expandable storage and not needing to unlock it from Rogers since it comes unlocked with no Rogers bloat.

I don't really do much power user stuff on my phone. It's basically just light web browsing on NeoGAF, YouTube, podcasts, calling/texting, listening/streaming music, and occasionally a simple game (want to play Chrono Trigger and maybe Wordament). I don't really do snapchat or anything, but I do the occasional instagram posting so if I get the Moto E I might miss that.

I'm not really sure which way to go. I'm a huge watch man and the Moto 360 is definitely something I'm going to want unless it has super ass battery life. The Oppo Find 7a definitely looks nice though... but if I know I'm going to want the Moto 360 I shouldn't get the Find 7a (for money reasons). I'm moving over from Windows Phone land (though I have used android before), so anyone want to chime in?

It really sounds like what you need is a mid tier, but it doesn't sound like you are open to that price range? I would not recommend a Moto E for what you want to use your phone for. Looks like a decent phone, but it is absolutely still low end and would still be dated the day you got it. Games may struggle on it. I would say go for the Oppo if you can get your hands on one.

MarkusRJR

It really sounds like what you need is a mid tier, but it doesn't sound like you are open to that price range? I would not recommend a Moto E for what you want to use your phone for. Looks like a decent phone, but it is absolutely still low end and would still be dated the day you got it. Games may struggle on it. I would say go for the Oppo if you can get your hands on one.
What're some good mid tier phones that are easily available in Canada? I'm with Telus currently. Most midtier phones from what I can tell are garbage Samsung phones, Moto G/E, Nexus 5 (available through Google Play, otherwise it's flagship pricing) or BB. I'm definitely open for phones in the price range, it's just that in Canada it's limited selection.

Personally I'd be all over the 32gb Moto X if it were available here, but going on Ebay leads to insane prices with insane import fees.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
9 to 5 Google

9to5Google has now learned that HTC actually has two new variants on the way, “Plus” and “Advance,” and it does have plans to release a version of its flagship M8 smartphone branded with one of those labels.

Our source claims the “Plus” will lack the Duo Camera setup and instead feature a single 13-megapixel rear camera with optical image stabilization. There’s no word on its display size yet, but because our source mentioned that it would have a “2K display with highest pixel count to date” (2560 x 1440 resolution), it could suggest that the One M8 Plus will have a display that’s smaller than the recently announced 5.5-inch LG G3 with the same resolution. Along with that, the “Plus” is said to feature Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 805 processor and 3GB of RAM.

The second high-end device coming from HTC will be called the One M8 “Advance” and feature the same specifications as the Plus, but in a plastic housing, and will be aimed at Asian markets.

Groof

LG-G3-battery-life-test-at-full-screen-brightness.jpg

6 hours and 30 minutes screen on time. Haters beware.

First improvised LG G3 battery life tests show promising results

Jigolo

Finally rumors of S805 phones are popping up. My GN on CM11 nightlies is dying slowly. The one plus sounds like what the M8 should've been.

Futureman

I seriously don't get HTC. They were saying that they wanted to keep their product line simple a year or two ago and now they're going all Samsung in regards to their line up. Gross.

pretty sure when HTC simplified their line up like every tech blog was calling for years ago they ended up selling worse overall. What is so gross about having various models? The only people I can see it pissing off is people who NEED to have the latest. UGHGHGHGGH.

MarkusRJR

pretty sure when HTC simplified their line up like every tech blog was calling for years ago they ended up selling worse overall. What is so gross about having various models? The only people I can see it pissing off is people who NEED to have the latest. UGHGHGHGGH.
I just find the strategy gross because they will inevitably carry over the marketing for the flagship phone and pass off lower speced phones as being equivalent to the main flagship (or in the same tier basically). I have a ton of friend that have shitty Samsung phones that they bought because they wanted a "Galaxy". Now they all own iPhones and constantly rant about android without knowing they bought a shitty low/mid range phone (not that it's their fault due to them all being in the same product line up).

It's not really an issue yet with HTC since they use the Desire brand for the lower end ones.

ColiBreh1

Banned
The first company to release a compact 4.6" 720p IPS, 2GB RAM, 8GB storage+SD, S410, 8MP camera device for $199-229 with a very wide global release and dual sim can absolutely kill it. The demand for such a device is massive and will disrupt everyone else in the market.

Neither Sony nor HTC have the balls which leaves Samsung to dominate yet another couple if years in the Android market...

There's already a device like that on the market. The LG Optimus G and the Nexus 4.

Groof

Oh same people who said "lol 720 dead battery...lol 1080 dead battery....."

Anyways.. The G3 is coming out when? In June? Hopefully no carrier exclusive. I want a 32gig version to use with ATT.

And they're gonna get the crow shoved down their throats one more time.

Seems to be mid-June at this point. I see a bunch of sites here putting the date as June 27 as a preliminary date.

"I wanted to test Googles Android to see how Googles software guys built their vision of Android, so I knowingly and intentionally went and ignored both the GPE version of the phone I bought unlocked (and therefore at the same price) and the Nexus 5 and bought a skinned M8 instead.

Then I wrote this article that literally complains about nothing but HTC's software. And in the end I proclaim that I am blaming Googles software developers for HTC's software, because reasons."

Yeah... troll article. I enjoyed the mental gymnastics on display there. "I didn't buy a nexus or a GPE because they don't sell enough!" What the fuck? I enjoy the part where he complains about being given the choice of software to use. "I was given the choice to make an application association for a file type like Windows And MacOS.... that sucks, because what if I want to change it later? Then I would have to go into settings to change it! NOOOOOOOOOooooo!"
i really like the part where he complains about 3rd party additions and then champions a small victory over not having carrier additions stacked with manufacturer additions due to it being a OEM unlocked model... then complains shortly thereafter about not having a carrier addition (wifi calling) available on said device.

And they're gonna get the crow shoved down their throats one more time.

Seems to be mid-June at this point. I see a bunch of sites here putting the date as June 27 as a preliminary date.

Cool, just hope no carrier exclusive.

White and dark metal color looks good. I like my phone white to match my car lol...but went with black with The Z2 cause the white color scheme looks weird on the Z2. at least the G3 has some white on the lower bezel.

Groof

Cool, just hope no carrier exclusive.

White and dark metal color looks good. I like my phone white to match my car lol...but went with black with The Z2 cause the white color scheme looks weird on the Z2. at least the G3 has some white on the lower bezel.

I'd be all over that white one. So tired of black devices it's not even funny.
Tempted to pre-order (some have the wireless charger as an incentive), but it wouldn't be very economically wise at this point for me. Urrggghhhh fucking contracts

Toki767

I'd be all over that white one. So tired of black devices it's not even funny.
Tempted to pre-order (some have the wireless charger as an incentive), but it wouldn't be very economically wise at this point for me. Urrggghhhh fucking contracts

This is where I'm kind of glad I no longer get the option to buy a subsidized phone on contract. In exchange for like $130 off my monthly bill, I'll gladly do a one time payment of $600-700.

Vanillalite

oneplus-one-invites-for-a-cause-640x365.png

One Plus is selling invites via eBay with the money going to a select group of charities. The invite obviously gets you the opportunity to buy a One Plus One.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
To be fair AJ and I were more worried about performance issues than the battery per say.

LG appears to have delivered on all fronts though.

Exactly. The G3 is the iPad 3 of phones. The battery wouldn't suffer but performance will. Wait for new games to see how hard the phone gets pushed.

G3 is a great phone.

VoxPop

Exactly. The G3 is the iPad 3 of phones. The battery wouldn't suffer but performance will. Wait for new games to see how hard the phone gets pushed.

G3 is a great phone.

I think all the apps run at 1080p despite the 1440p screen so you wouldnt really run into that problem

Toki767

I don't think it'll be an iPad 3 scenario. The iPad 3 is like what, 2 years old? That's a 2 year old chip pushing 3.1 million pixels.

VoxPop

Any of you planning to enter the Moto 360 Design Face-Off? There are several submissions that I really like, but this one is by far my favorite so far.

That's pretty nice. Maybe I'll throw my hand in there.

The 360 actually looks pretty nice though. Slap a nice leather band on it or the metallic one they got in the profile pic is nice too. Makes a certain Galaxy product look like a Fisher Price toy (again).

For those of you using Chrome Beta, has performance taken a nosedive for you since yesterday's update?

I'm getting extremely choppy and laggy performance now, especially when 3 or more tabs are open. The delay when scrolling a page is just awful. Never had these problems before.

Doopliss

For those of you using Chrome Beta, has performance taken a nosedive for you since yesterday's update?

I'm getting extremely choppy and laggy performance now, especially when 3 or more tabs are open. The delay when scrolling a page is just awful. Never had these problems before.

I haven't noticed any difference on my Nexus 5. On my HP Touchpad it has started crashing every couple of minutes. Both are on CM11.

Vanillalite

Enough that I'm posting from stable not beta.

Groof

This is where I'm kind of glad I no longer get the option to buy a subsidized phone on contract. In exchange for like $130 off my monthly bill, I'll gladly do a one time payment of $600-700.

Yep, I'm done with this shit. That's how I'll be doing it from now on. I'm even thinking of just paying what I have left downright so I can get out of this hell hole early.

NotBacon

Ok so the mother is on Verizon and she is probably going to upgrade in June. She's on an iPhone 4 right now and she wasn't really impressed with it as time went on. She likes a good deal and smaller phones. I'm thinking Moto X, because even though the specs are mid range it still got great reviews which is cool, but I'm worried about how it will fare after 2 years... thoughts?

Toki767

Ok so the mother is on Verizon and she is probably going to upgrade in June. She's on an iPhone 4 right now and she wasn't really impressed with it as time went on. She likes a good deal and smaller phones. I'm thinking Moto X, because even though the specs are mid range it still got great reviews which is cool, but I'm worried about how it will fare after 2 years... thoughts?

With rumors of a Moto X+1 already surfacing, I would probably just hold off until then.

Avixph

Can you guys help me choose between the the Motorola G and the Motorola E as a cheap smartphone to bring with me on my July trip to the Dominican Republic in order to use the internet.

An Exhaustive Statistical Analysis Of Smartphone Screen Size Over Time: Yup, They're Getting Bigger

"You can probably guess who's driving the trend. Samsung seems to have opened the floodgates for oversized phones with the Note series, and they continue to push screen sizes ever higher. But their competitors are catching up - the latest flagship phones from HTC and LG are as big or bigger than the Galaxy S5, and phones designed to compete with the Note series (the HTC One Max and LG's G Pro and G Pro 2) have even bigger screens."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom