• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Fixed enough of the gripes I've had with iOS. Had a good time with the HTC One but I'm heading back to greener pastures. Android just never managed to give me the seamlessness I had with iOS. Hopefully Android 5.0 delivers but I don't see that coming with less than 9% of users even on KitKat

Ultimatum

Banned
I can't wait for I/O, apple are finally stepping up their game and I'm excited to see how Google respond

I really hope we get to see Android 5

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If I/O doesn't blow me away, I'm going back to iOS. I'm fucking done.

Hopefully Android 5.0 delivers but I don't see that coming with less than 9% of users even on KitKat

Explain the relevance.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have the TD Bank app (one of the biggest banks in Canada) and every time I reboot my Nexus 7, I get greeted with a "TD Bank has stopped" message.

Yeah I get that too on my Nexus 5. Was a recent update to the app that did it, was fine previously.

Would you prefer if it crashed silently in the background and never alerted you? (Serious question)

lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

e5YuU.gif

You'll be as dearly missed as coldfoot.

yyzjohn

Banned
Would you prefer if it crashed silently in the background and never alerted you? (Serious question)

lol

No it's just annoying that the app crashes every time you reboot your device. It's the only one that does so on my phone so they should be able to fix it.

Oh man, how is Android going to match Widgets, Actionable Notifications, 3rd party keyboards, iCloud Drive and Intents?

I enjoy WWDC every year. You can't find that kind of comedy anywhere.

People are excited that Apple has finally caught up to Google and are basically on par, or so it seems. They took what made Android special for the normal user and implemented it in iOS. Now when people have to decide between the new iPhone and the latest Android flagship", stuff like "Widgets, Actionable Notifications, 3rd party keyboards" is not something that's unique to Android anymore.

I really wonder what Google is going to show at I/O. They've been resting on their laurels for a long time (at least it feels like that to me) and haven't shown anything interesting for a while.

Talon

Whenever I see those numbers, it makes me think that there must be a couple million horrendous Polaroid/Archos Android "tablets" collecting dust somewhere.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
e5YuU.gif

You'll be as dearly missed as coldfoot.

I don't stick with companies. I use the best products and Apple just fixed near everything with iOS 8. I/O has to be more than yet another half assed messaging app or yet another try at TV. Look at the stuff they announced last year. What's actually used today? What did they properly execute on?

belvedere

Junior Butler
Was there an alternate WWDC stream that some of you viewed? This by far, was the weakest WWDC in recent memory.

It's just got me more hopeful for I/O. Please don't fuck us with Silver, Google.

Blackhead

Redarse
No it's just annoying that the app crashes every time you reboot your device. It's the only one that does so on my phone so they should be able to fix it.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why it's running at startup in the first place.

I agree, it shouldn't be crashing at startup. However the alert is so you can complain to the the td app developers (or review their app poorly) so that they fix. Other platforms have crashy apps too but they happen silently in the background with no alerts that notify you that the app is that buggy.

Talon

Oh man, how is Android going to match Widgets, Actionable Notifications, 3rd party keyboards, iCloud Drive and Intents?

I enjoy WWDC every year. You can't find that kind of comedy anywhere.
This is without a doubt the most developer-centric press conference in years. Even more so than 2008, I would argue. The right people are excited for a reason.

That community has been pining for a successor to Objective C for years and assumed it would never come: Check.
Third-party integration: Check.
Touch ID hooks: Check.
iCloud integration: Check
Effectively free dev storage: Check
Testflight for beta testing: Check
Simpler graphics toolkit: Check

And so on.

The handoff thing is really exciting from a consumer standpoint. That's the kind of stuff we've been dreaming about with mobile tech for a while.

Cipherr

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't see it.

They add "Hey Siri" which does the say thing as "Ok Google"

They add Intents

They Add 3rd party keyboards

They add a small degree of notification interaction

They add Widgets 'kinda'

I'm not interested in going back for stuff I already have. And you still cant change default programs, you still get no device/hardware choices, .... Its a step forward for iOS, a big one, but its still a step back from Android. You get my attention by leapfrogging, not by getting within arms reach. Every year they add a little more of the things Android has been doing forever.

It was exactly what I expected.

ILoveBish

As much of an android fan that I am, that wwdc conference was on point and let you know apple takes their os seriously. Can hardly say the same about Google when things like Bluetooth are still a broken mess in android.

There is no way I'd go to a iOS device, but I wish Google got their act together.

I thought WWDC was pretty good, at least in regards to OSX and the iOS8 Dev sections of it. Some of the posts in that WWDC thread were ridiculous though. I know kehs was probably trolling, but I couldn't tell if those saying Android is done/dead/whatever are serious.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It was impressive, and Apple finally showed some life after 1.5+ yrs of...boring?

Definitely a step up

Talon

They add Intents

They add Widgets 'kinda'

I'm not interested in going back for stuff I already have. And you still cant change default programs, you still get no device/hardware choices, .... Its a step forward for iOS, a big one, but its still a step back from Android. You get my attention by leapfrogging, not by getting within arms reach. Every year they add a little more of the things Android has been doing forever.

You're focusing on the consumer aspects from first party, when 90% of the excitement for these announcements are from the developer community's end.

There was a sentiment in the Apple Developer community that Apple was resting on its laurels and only focusing on consumer-specific announcements and assuming the devs would just stick around regardless of the stagnant toolsets with incremental improvements year-by-year.

To that community, Apple quite literally blew the doors off.

Cipherr

You're focusing on the consumer aspects from first party, when 90% of the excitement for these announcements are from the developer community's end.

There was a sentiment in the Apple Developer community that Apple was resting on its laurels and only focusing on consumer-specific announcements and assuming the devs would just stick around regardless of the stagnant toolsets with incremental improvements year-by-year.

No offense, but thats not the community Im responding too, I can completely understand that excitement, especially if they deliver with Swift. But clearly Im speaking in relation to the posts in this thread, and the OT for the conference, where these comments aren't being made about Swift, but about the consumer side. People are very literally pointing to stuff Android has done for years as asking how Android is going to 'match' that.

Blackhead

Redarse

They add Intents

They add Widgets 'kinda'

Bboy AJ is a Mac fan so he's more lustful of the benefits of using Apple's ecosystem. Even though Android has most of the features already, they didn't sync with OSX** so it never seemed as sleek or well designed to him.

**To be fair many of Google's Android features sync very nicely with Desktop Chrome

Cipherr

Bboy AJ is a Mac fan so he's more lustful of the benefits of using Apple's ecosystem. Even though Android has most of the features already, they didn't sync with OSX** so it never seemed as sleek or well designed to him.

**To be fair many of Google's Android features sync very nicely with Desktop Chrome

That may be the missing link then. I don't use OSX on desktop for work, nor for personal use. We have a Macbook but I rarely use it since we started buying tablets.

That has to be it, otherwise I just cannot see the hoopla outside of the development focused stuff.

Talon

No offense, but thats not the community Im responding too, I can completely understand that excitement, especially if they deliver with Swift. But clearly Im speaking in relation to the posts in this thread, and the OT for the conference, where these comments aren't being made about Swift, but about the consumer side. People are very literally pointing to stuff Android has done for years as asking how Android is going to 'match' that.
I think the people in that thread are responding two steps down the road, if you will. The end-consumer WILL reap the benefits with developers that have better tools.

That said, that contextual relation stuff was pretty neato. ;)

Anyways, competition is good. I don't get people poo pooing either way. I don't want Apple to win or Google to win. I want a healthy ecosystem.

I'm relieved that you're not just doing that in the Windows Phone thread. :lol

i've always said that. it's why i went to Android from WM6. can't go ass backwards where IRC is concerned. coldfoot even went as far as to pull out charts and claim that IRC usage was trending down in a thread a few years ago in an effort to ... i dunno lol

Bboy AJ

This is without a doubt the most developer-centric press conference in years. Even more so than 2008, I would argue. The right people are excited for a reason.

That community has been pining for a successor to Objective C for years and assumed it would never come: Check.
Third-party integration: Check.
Touch ID hooks: Check.
iCloud integration: Check
Effectively free dev storage: Check
Testflight for beta testing: Check
Simpler graphics toolkit: Check

And so on.

The handoff thing is really exciting from a consumer standpoint. That's the kind of stuff we've been dreaming about with mobile tech for a while.
This is a great post. Apple hasn't done this much work in a long while. This WWDC is the best in a long, long time. It's the first keynote to get me excited since Android 4.0.

Apple executes well. Feature wise, sure, things match up. But when Apple implements something, I expect it's done properly. We can only guess but my experience leads me to believe. Plus, what's good for devs is good for consumers. Consumers will reap the benefits in the Fall when the new iDevices are released.

How awesome did Handoff look? My only daily used Apple device is my Macbook. I use my Nexus 5, 10, and Chromecast on a daily basis. I've got an Apple TV sitting unplugged, collecting dust along with my POS PS4. I prefer Apple stuff but Google's stuff is just better for me right now. But after WWDC, I'm happy to jump back in with Apple. Then again, if I/O blows the doors away like WWDC, I'm even happier. I'm happy 4.4.3 released today because it means it won't release at I/O. There might be something bigger to expect.

I only want a great experience. That's it. I don't care who gives it to me.

I think the people in that thread are responding two steps down the road, if you will. The end-consumer WILL reap the benefits with developers that have better tools.

That said, that contextual relation stuff was pretty neato. ;)

Anyways, competition is good. I don't get people poo pooing either way. I don't want Apple to win or Google to win. I want a healthy ecosystem.

i want Microsoft to do better. a 3 way dance brings more pressure to compete, innovate and refine.

Groof

Mmmm I'm not even going to try to understand the hyperbole.

Nice for the iOS peeps, but I already got that shit and then some.

Bboy AJ

Seriously, how long has it been since Google has yet to figure out messaging? This company led the way with Voice, something I've used since forever and still use today. But we got, what, thirty messaging apps? And none integrate as well as iMessages showed today. Google has always had the ability to display and respond to SMS. They just never made it happen. The phone call thing is awesome. And so is the WhatsApp style voice walkie talking thing. Plus executing by holding it up to your head. Man, that's great stuff. And video clips.

Google to respond to iMessage by making Chitchat.

VoxPop

Seriously, how long has it been since Google has yet to figure out messaging? This company led the way with Voice, something I've used since forever and still use today. But we got, what, thirty messaging apps? And none integrate as well as iMessages showed today. Google has always had the ability to display and respond to SMS. They just never made it happen. The phone call thing is awesome. And so is the WhatsApp style voice walkie talking thing. Plus executing by holding it up to your head. Man, that's great stuff. And video clips.

Google to respond to iMessage by making Chitchat.

Yeah I absolutely love iOS messaging and nothing I've used on Android has even come close. Lockscreen notifications too. I've had to use garbage like Dashclock and NiLs for god knows how long. Two things I've sorely missed. Now getting my texts/iMessages/phone calls all on my laptop/desktop without even having to open an app just makes it perfect.

i've always said that. it's why i went to Android from WM6. can't go ass backwards where IRC is concerned. coldfoot even went as far as to pull out charts and claim that IRC usage was trending down in a thread a few years ago in an effort to ... i dunno lol

Yooooo, I friggin loved Windows Mobile. I moved from it to Android as well. I still have my HTC Fuze that I'll go back and play with on the rare occasion. WM is how I discovered xda and got me into custom ROMs and cab files(?). Good times, man, good times.

Bboy AJ

Yeah I absolutely love iOS messaging and nothing I've used on Android has even come close. Lockscreen notifications too. I've had to use garbage like Dashclock and NiLs for god knows how long. Two things I've sorely missed. Now getting my texts/iMessages/phone calls all on my laptop/desktop without even having to open an app just makes it perfect.

Vox, are you joining me at the Apple camp if I/O is a disappointment? I am glad I don't have to downgrade screen size by too much, too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't stick with companies. I use the best products and Apple just fixed near everything with iOS 8. I/O has to be more than yet another half assed messaging app or yet another try at TV. Look at the stuff they announced last year. What's actually used today? What did they properly execute on?

"Fixed nearly everything"

Can you set a default browser yet?

Blackhead

Redarse

Yes but even many of the new developer features are just playing catchup. I mean the biggest jizz is over the new Swift language but Google and Microosft, in particular, have supported much more sophisticated languages than Objective-C for years. *shrug* Playgrounds is actually the real megaton imo

This is a great post. Apple hasn't done this much work in a long while. This WWDC is the best in a long, long time. It's the first keynote to get me excited since Android 4.0.

Apple executes well. Feature wise, sure, things match up. But when Apple implements something, I expect it's done properly. We can only guess but my experience leads me to believe. Plus, what's good for devs is good for consumers. Consumers will reap the benefits in the Fall when the new iDevices are released.

How awesome did Handoff look? My only daily used Apple device is my Macbook. I use my Nexus 5, 10, and Chromecast on a daily basis. I've got an Apple TV sitting unplugged, collecting dust along with my POS PS4. I prefer Apple stuff but Google's stuff is just better for me right now. But after WWDC, I'm happy to jump back in with Apple. Then again, if I/O blows the doors away like WWDC, I'm even happier. I'm happy 4.4.3 released today because it means it won't release at I/O. There might be something bigger to expect.

I only want a great experience. That's it. I don't care who gives it to me.

But is that trust really deserved? The Apple press events are always hype inducing but, let's be honest, Apple's cloud services suck and the reality has rarely matched what they demoed on stage. Why rage on Google for not 'matching' what Apple hasn't even shipped yet?

p.s. There is already an iOS app, literally also named HandOff, that already pushes stuff from Mac to iOS. Of course it's been limited by Apple's restrictions and now sherlock'd to boot lol

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I have the TD Bank app (one of the biggest banks in Canada) and every time I reboot my Nexus 7, I get greeted with a "TD Bank has stopped" message.

I get that too on my Nexus 5.

I could've done without the commentary from The Verge during their live blog. "This is amazing... so innovative". Half of what we saw is already on Android. Sure, it's not implemented by Google and streamlined, but a lot of third party apps already do what Apple is now doing.

I like Apple and I'm glad iOS users are getting some great features ... but that kind of stuff does bother me, because I feel like I'm the crazy one.

hitsugi

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've been an Android user for a couple of years now, and I was feeling just about done prior to WWDC. This is all without seeing the next generation of iPhones, as well.

VoxPop

Vox, are you joining me at the Apple camp if I/O is a disappointment? I am glad I don't have to downgrade screen size by too much, too.

Yeah, I've already been eyeing going back to iOS for a while now but this has definitely helped me pull the trigger much quicker.

Unless Google really delivers something out of this world, I'm right back on iOS come September. 4.7" is more than enough for me as I hate phablets. Hell I'd even go back to 4" if that was necessary.

I always throws in some Android love between iPhones and this one was by far the best compared to all the garbage phones I've had to endure before but I can't wait to be back.

Talon

Yes but even many of the new developer features are just playing catchup. I mean the biggest jizz is over the new Swift language but Google and Microosft, in particular, have supported much more sophisticated languages than Objective-C for years. *shrug* Playgrounds is actually the real megaton imo
The Apple community has bitched about Objective C for years, assuming Apple would never give enough of a shit about the dev community to move on.

Bboy AJ

But is that trust really deserved? The Apple press events are always hype inducing but, let's be honest, Apple's cloud services suck and the reality has rarely matched what they demoed on stage. Why rage on Google for not 'matching' what Apple hasn't even shipped yet?

p.s. There is already an iOS app, literally also named HandOff, that already pushes stuff from Mac to iOS. Of course it's been limited by Apple's restrictions and now sherlock'd to boot lol

Yeah, true. Apple did fail with iCloud syncing. We'll see. I'm feeling good about this one, though. Handoff stinks compared to native. Just like how Android users get excited about Google sherlocking things for native OS use, we all enjoy native functionality. I don't know exactly why but we do. It just works better.

"Fixed nearly everything"

Can you set a default browser yet?

Meh. Safari looked fantastic. Might even switch from Chrome to Safari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom