• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should talk to the people with an iPhone 4 or iPad 3 running iOS 7.

I feel like it was a mistake for Apple to include the 4S in their iOS 8 update. It's going to die pretty badly.
You're leaving out the worst offender of all, iOS 4 on the 3G was far far FAR worse than iOS 7 (initially was) on the 4. It would take me over 2 minutes to open Navigon, whereas on iOS 3 it took 15-20 seconds max.

Anyone know of a legit site where I can get past apks for free apps? I've updated some apps, but don't like the changes and want to go back to the last version.

solarus

Wow Android is truly dead.

uZyBU1n.png

https://www.google.com/events/io/sandbox
Why google 0_o?!

nick nacc

Banned
Dropped 3 year old Iphone 4 today, treated me well and introduced me into dat smartphone life. Fuck it, I want android now. Been obsessing over the one plus one lately. Any gaffers have one yet? This invite system is preeettty lame.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Dropped 3 year old Iphone 4 today, treated me well and introduced me into dat smartphone life. Fuck it, I want android now. Been obsessing over the one plus one lately. Any gaffers have one yet? This invite system is preeettty lame.
Have you seen wwdc?

teiresias

You on this plan?

Really anxious to get on it. I'm afraid of the amount of minutes but that rate is so good I'm about to just say fuck it.

Any way to bypass the amount of minutes though?

When you go above the minutes on that plan additional minutes are charged at $0.10/minute, so adding an extra $10 to your account balance every month gives you the ability to use double the amount of minutes, and if you happen to not use all of the extra balance it just carries over. I just make sure I have a running $40 balance in my account every month when it renews. If I didn't go over my minutes the previous month I just need to add $30, if I used it all I add $40.

HTC Shows Off The One E8, A Colorful Alternative To The One M8 With A Single Rear Camera And Dual SIM Slots
First of all, the E8's screen is 5" and 1080p, the same as the One M8. The processor (Snapdragon 801) and RAM (2GB) are also holdovers from the flagship model. The E8 has a slightly curvier take on the One body, complete with front-facing speakers and relatively large bezels. There's just one rear camera, but it's 13 megapixels, which may actually be preferable to the One M8's dual-camera setup for some. The front-facing camera is a "selfie-friendly" (ugh) 5MP shooter with a wide-angle lens. The non-removable battery is 2600mAh, about average for this size, and 16GB of internal storage can be augmented with a MicroSD card. Available colors at launch are white, black, red, and blue.

LCm7IGO.jpg

malfcn

Wow, ATT updated the OGP to 442.
But I was somehow not on wifi. When I switched the notification went away.
Now it just says downloading, check the notification panel. But the panel has no new information. It's a 700MB+ update so it may take awhile.

terrier

wow, what is all this iOS talk? iOS catching up is good news,will put some presure on Google(not much but still) but just that, they still have many things android provides both from software and hardware sides, flexibility and choice. Maybe it is not as consistent as iOS, but that is to be expected when you are launching one phone or two a year and a tablet. PLus there is a huge price issue when trying to consider an apple product.

On topic, when is this I/O google thing? My opinion is that 4.4.3 is just a 'distraction': google updating its own apps lately may mean that they have major android update sooner than later.
But i do not really know what could really improve smartphones right now on the software side. We are almost at that point that only minor or visual changes are to be expected.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I have my Nexus 7 (2013) rooted but I'm on the stock rom, is there going to be any issues if I get this 4.4.3 update? I only bought it the other day and it's my first Android device so I have no experience with updating them, rooted or otherwise.

terrier

Bah. Thought Sony were announcing a Z2 ultra. Sadly it is a T3. :/

seems a nice device though, thin , classy, big display, decent processor. Only if price was decent....
and well, those bezels.....

i would like to see an snapdragon 400 device with 2GB ram at some point though...

aznpxdd

God damnit, Chinese government's crackdown on Google for the past week has been really pissing me off, its essentially making my Nexus 5 useless...can't even access the play store.

Bah. Thought Sony were announcing a Z2 ultra. Sadly it is a T3. :/

They have a T2 Ultra and now a T3. I don't understand why they didn't announce the T2 Ultra and this as the T2 at the same time and put them on sale at the same time. Such an idiotic company. They should have had T2 Ultra (6"), T2 (5.3") and T2 Compact (4.5") all with the same specs and hardware released at the same time and made the "T" denomination their mid-range one. Now we have the M2, T3 and T2 Ultra. There is no fucking consistency.

Also, dat mega bezel. Omnibalance has had its day I think.

Edit: FWIW, this is the direct replacement of the Xperia SP and the screen is really nice. Same as the T2U which is pretty fucking amazing. They could have a real hit on their hands if they sell it for £299/€349/$349. Knowing Sony we can add a hundred to each of those prices though and then they will wonder why they missed a bunch of shipment targets and aren't making very much money.

Why are Sony's bezels so damn big nowadays?

What happened to this?
xperia-zl-white-1240x840-f3d819dc1f1b4625f90fe2c7108717a8.jpg

It was the best designed modern phone they ever made. Super small bezels and a curved, soft touch back. They need to go back to this.

How likely is it for me to find some android phone for like $20? used is fine and I won't be activating a plan on it. I want to dabble with it and try out some emulators, nothing past gba

Azzurri

Anew new flagship phones on the horizon?

I broke my Note 2 like 3 months ago and I'm using my Nexus from 3 years ago, and it's super slow now.

hitsugi

did nexus 5 update fix any thing notable?

"camera focus in regular and HDR modes fixes"

Whatever this means, I hope it doesn't mean they're improving speeds by boosting the ISO again. I'm already taking shots in pure daylight at 1500 ISO that look like complete garbage. I know, shutter speed and focus speed aren't the same. Maybe this time when my camera focuses it actually... focuses. I'm eager to see if there's been any improvement at all.

If we don't get a G3-based Nexus 6 I'm going to kick a puppy.

We probably will, with the significant features of the G3 drastically toned down (camera, screen, battery) much like we did with the G2 -> N5.

Nicktendo86

Yeah bit fed up with the sacrifices made to nexus phones now, think the n4 will be my last even if silver wasn't on the horizon. I really hope silver is real though and google just influence the design of the hardware. The g3, with a blank face like a nexus, with the software look of stock with no added bloat but still retaining the battery saving tricks and other goodies would make me jizz so hard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Get excited about the G3. Get even more hyped when next Nexus is based off of G3. Face reality when you see what Nexus ends up being. I don't blame Google. I wouldn't pay twice the price for the G3, anyway, despite it being much better. OS aside.

Yeah bit fed up with the sacrifices made to nexus phones now, think the n4 will be my last even if silver wasn't on the horizon. I really hope silver is real though and google just influence the design of the hardware. The g3, with a blank face like a nexus, with the software look of stock with no added bloat but still retaining the battery saving tricks and other goodies would make me jizz so hard.

But that is not going to happen for $349, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom