• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

I'm thinking about the contextual piece from a solutioning perspective...

How would Google do that from a browser-based perspective? I don't know enough about browsers to know what kind of hardware intents they can force other than webcam, audio, and speakers.

The OTHER end would obviously be to do it through services, but the proximity (phone to laptop/tablet) would be a little trickier.

well, yeah not happening :b

With apple you can expect developers to support new things quickly in most apps. You'll never get a wacom pen though...

It doesn't even have to be a Wacom pen, as the Surface Pro 3 shows! Seriously, just a similar capable pen with a thin tip, good performance, pressure sensitivity and good connectivity would be enough.

kehs

Banned
I'm thinking about the contextual piece from a solutioning perspective...

How would Google do that from a browser-based perspective? I don't know enough about browsers to know what kind of hardware intents they can force other than webcam, audio, and speakers.

The OTHER end would obviously be to do it through services, but the proximity (phone to laptop/tablet) would be a little trickier.

Which contextual piece?

Toki767

LG was actually had that whole send SMS or answer calls from your tablet synced with your phone thing first with the GPad + G2.

LG's totally ahead of the curve.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple still doesn't have Transit in their Maps app (no option to make Google Maps default), no proper answer for Google Now and no iWatch... yet. Those are dealbreakers for me. I'll probably be getting a Moto 360 on Day 1, will pair it with a Nexus 5 running whatever Google announces this summer and might yet stay with Android.

LG was actually had that whole send SMS or answer calls from your tablet synced with your phone thing first with the GPad + G2.

LG's totally ahead of the curve.

webOS did it first

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Based webOS. Still miss my Veer.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Meh. Safari looked fantastic. Might even switch from Chrome to Safari.

xHcG24y.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't know why people are all bent out of shape in both camps, iOS or Android. I view a phone as a tool, whichever one works the best for me I'll use. Right now I'm on Android but I used to be on iOS. I'll have to see specific features of the new phones before I decide what I'll do in the future.

I use Tasker alot on Android, so I want to see if that type of control app is able to be created for iOS with all these new developer APIs. Seems like Apple is trying to be more flexible now because they realize people want more freedom with their devices, and this is a good thing.

kehs

Banned
lol WebOS

The workflow hand-offs between Mac <-> iPhone <-> iPad.

Ah, that's probably handles with icloud/log in. Google already has everything signed in so I'm guessing it'd be similar.

Phone thing could be handled with wifi proximity/usage.

thespot84

i think third party keyboards are a big deal. It's extends beyond basic inputs to stuff like lastpass, which I think now could make a keyboard that autofills everywhere on iOS (before you were stuck with the lastpass browser on iOS). keychain is a joke compared to other password managers like lastpass, so this is a huge step up

Blackhead

Redarse
i think third party keyboards are a big deal. It's extends beyond basic inputs to stuff like lastpass, which I think now could make a keyboard that autofills everywhere on iOS (before you were stuck with the lastpass browser on iOS). keychain is a joke compared to other password managers like lastpass, so this is a huge step up

Actually the new iOS Extendability/Custom Actions feature kinda works like extensions in Safari so Lastpass might be able to offer a password fill-in action without presenting a whole keyboard.

Google really needs to hurry up with extensions for mobile Chrome

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Why use a whole new keyboard when you can use a browser extension now ;)

kehs

Banned
Actually the new iOS Extendability/Custom Actions feature kinda works like extensions in Safari so Lastpass might be able to offer a password fill-in action without presenting a whole keyboard.

Google really needs to hurry up with extensions for mobile Chrome

They need to focus on extending performance first.

Yeah, true. Apple did fail with iCloud syncing. We'll see. I'm feeling good about this one, though. Handoff stinks compared to native. Just like how Android users get excited about Google sherlocking things for native OS use, we all enjoy native functionality. I don't know exactly why but we do. It just works better.

still waiting on Google to do S Beam. LG even has their own version of it...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
...mobile apps?
http://media0.giphy.com/media/CMvLdjfjQnQAg/giphy.gifIMG][/QUOTE]

[url]http://updates.html5rocks.com/2013/12/300ms-tap-delay-gone-away[/url]

[url]https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/installtohomescreen[/url]

mobile apps are going to get a lot better thanks to these two minor features

thespot84

Didn't Netflix even ditch the Roku Webapp two years ago?

i don't know, but i'm not sure what your point is. If you use a password manager (correctly) you don't know your passwords. i'd rather lastpass just fill my app passwords rather than having to load the lastpass app, search my archive, copy and paste the password when i need to log in. It works beautifully on android. Until apple changed the keyboard thing it simply wasn't possible on iOS

Quasar

Yes but even many of the new developer features are just playing catchup. I mean the biggest jizz is over the new Swift language but Google and Microosft, in particular, have supported much more sophisticated languages than Objective-C for years. *shrug* Playgrounds is actually the real megaton imo

I dunno. The things of interest to me ios wise were swift, metal and extensibility. Though the home automation work also sounded interesting...though scary in that it attempts to tie up a whole home automation ecosystem around ios.

I wonder how Google can respond to metal in particular.

The Real Bobble

Neo Member
The fact that the kit kat update has basically rendered my xperia z not fit for purpose due to excessive battery drain (Google Play services is keeping the phone awake) and apple has seemingly addressed all the issues I had with ios has me seriously considering an iPhone at my next upgrade.

Maybe I'm being naive but I just couldn't imagine apple releasing a software update that renders its devices practically useless. Not sure whether Sony or Google is at fault but my phone truly sucks right now and I'm not happy.

it saddens me that it has come to this because all of my smartphones have been Android (starting with a HTC hero back in the day) and I really like the xperia z. :-(

Toki767

Maybe I'm being naive but I just couldn't imagine apple releasing a software update that renders its devices practically useless. Not sure whether Sony or Google is at fault but my phone truly sucks right now and I'm not happy.
You should talk to the people with an iPhone 4 or iPad 3 running iOS 7.

I feel like it was a mistake for Apple to include the 4S in their iOS 8 update. It's going to die pretty badly.

VoxPop

I personally can't wait till

S-potlight with amazing TouchWiz integration

Interactive S-Notifications

ChatON w/ added quick Video/Audio chatting

S-Health app revamp with Johns Hopkins Hospital partnership

Family S-haring

S-peedy programming language for Tizen app development

I'm assuming they already have S-Home automation with Samsung Home Appliances?

Competition is gud

Nicktendo86

I'm really glad apple are improving iOS, it is actually now in a usable state and I could see me using an iPhone as a daily driver for the first time ever. However, what I really hope is it drives Google to hit IO out the park.

Groof

Competition is good. I hope this gives Google a push to improve their shit. Some core apps have been getting real janky as of late, and functionality is still missing.
I/O has to be great, else they'll be in trouble

they already have like half of those. remember that demo they did last year with the family sharing hub that syncs media from all yourr familys Samsung devices? and they revamped S Health this year and partnered with Cigna.

Chaton 2k14 upgrade gonna be hilarious tho...

rc213

Enough iOS talk, Everyone get together and let's find the ota links for 4.4.3 before I go to work. I don't have time for factory images YO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom