• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

I'll stop pretending as soon as I see a bunch of people buying stock of a dying company to save it thought a grassroot movement(lol), or having people putting up signs inside of stores so that people will "know" about the playbook.

Someone having the audacity to claim that notifications weren't a big deal. I'd put that over their silliness. edit: the Nexus 6 shit after the benchmarks smh

My ass is still soar from RIM convincing me to buy their shitty BES server years ago.

I want those hours of my life back supporting that piece of shit. Not to mention dealing with all those crappy trackballs from their phones. I will never even read a full sentence about one of their new products ever again.

Effect

So finally got a smartphone after using a Nokia E63 for years. I ultimately went with a HTC One M8 after trying to decide between it and the iPhone 6. I like the iPhone but wanted something different from what I work with everyday (Macs) and have been using for a while to supplement the nokia, a iPod Touch.

The HTC One is taking some getting used to. I've used the android OS before on some tablets but the size of the phone is just awkward at times. Been messing around with Google Now and so far so good. I wish it had the personality of something like Siri or even Cortana though. Is that possibly coming in the future? That was almost the reason I went with the iPhone 6 but in the grand scheme of things I don't know how much those matter.

Anything I should aware of going forward? Things to avoid? To do?

So finally got a smartphone after using a Nokia E63 for years. I ultimately went with a HTC One M8 after trying to decide between it and the iPhone 6. I like the iPhone but wanted something different from what I work with everyday (Macs) and have been using for a while to supplement the nokia, a iPod Touch.

The HTC One is taking some getting used to. I've used the android OS before on some tablets but the size of the phone is just awkward at times. Been messing around with Google Now and so far so good. I wish it had the personality of something like Siri or even Cortana though. Is that possibly coming in the future? That was almost the reason I went with the iPhone 6 but in the grand scheme of things I don't know how much those matter.

Anything I should aware of going forward? Things to avoid? To do?

Are you using the google now or are you just talking about google voice search? Sometimes people new to android get this confused. Google voice search is similar to siri but google now is the predictive cards you get based on your browsing, emails, location etc. If you are just talking about google voice search than head out to the play store and install the google now launcher. Its awesome.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
If it possible to send SMS messages via voice on android? Something i've always wondered.

Yeah! Just enable voice to sync with contacts. I just did this last night on my new Moto G and tried it out. I just said "Ok Google, Text Amanda." and it pulled up my girlfriend and then it asked me what message I wanted to send and then it initiated another voice prompt. Easy as pie.

I don't know what use case I'd have to really do that. Usually in a situation where I can't really type I'll just go on Facebook chat where I am usually and just tap the voice record button. I don't know if you can tell Ok Google to send a facebook Messenger message via voice. I kept trying to no avail.

It's a cool feature to have and all but I keep picturing myself at the bottom of a ravine, pinned to the steering wheel using it to utter my final words farewell while I bleed out lol. I send so few messages that are so important that they can't wait until I can use my hands. I guess it all depends on your lifestyle!

Pachimari

I'm looking to have something other than music playing while I'm on the go, which podcast app is currently the best one? I used to use Downcast on iOS.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I'm looking to have something other than music playing while I'm on the go, which podcast app is currently the best one? I used to use Downcast on iOS.

Pocketcasts has been my ol' faithful for a few years now. Handles RSS feeds and has a searchable database also. Does everything I've ever wanted it to and looks nice with its Dark theme. Support is very active.

Okay, Android GAF. I got a challenge for you.

I'm looking for a day planer/to-do list kind of app that works and syncs between my Nexus 5 and my two iPads, one of which is the first gen model running iOS 5.

Is there any hope for me?

Sch1sm

If it possible to send SMS messages via voice on android? Something i've always wondered.

"OK Google."
"Text <name>"
"<say what you want to text>"
It'll prompt you, actually, if you want to send it.
"Yes."
<<
Or voice input key, too, I suppose.

I'm looking for a day planer/to-do list kind of app that works and syncs between my Nexus 5 and my two iPads, one of which is the first gen model running iOS 5.

Was gonna say EverNote since you have to log into the app all content would be available cross-platform. ...right up until I saw iOS 5, that is. I don't think there's a note taking apo for that iPad that'll work for what you want.

Helium would be an alternative although its a paid app.

Edit: there's a paid and free version

Paid or free it's a lot more of a hassle to use when not rooted.

Google keep for the nexus and the unofficial google keep for the iPads

ShdwDrake

Banned
I got a GPE HTC one m8 on lollipop... Is it possible to listen to music through a Bluetooth speaker while using the phone speakers for everything else?

vwnut13

Been messing around with Google Now and so far so good. I wish it had the personality of something like Siri or even Cortana though. Is that possibly coming in the future? That was almost the reason I went with the iPhone 6 but in the grand scheme of things I don't know how much those matter.

I'm sure that you can find an app in the app store that will flirt with you.

Effect

Are you using the google now or are you just talking about google voice search? Sometimes people new to android get this confused. Google voice search is similar to siri but google now is the predictive cards you get based on your browsing, emails, location etc. If you are just talking about google voice search than head out to the play store and install the google now launcher. Its awesome.

It would have been google search I was focusing on. Which I felt was cumbersome until I looked around and saw that there were settings I could change to make it work from the main screens. No more needing to press the mic or launch the google search app. That's made it's use a lot better. I though that was apart of google now along side the cards.

I will have to start messing around with the cards though.

Wreav

Banned
I've never used OK Google. I used Siri for like a day after I got the phone and then never used it again.

I still find Siri more helpful for everyday tasks like asking for weather, setting reminders, checking scores.

Google Now is much more helpful for things like shipment tracking, flights, traffic conditions.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I still find Siri more helpful for everyday tasks like asking for weather, setting reminders, checking scores.

Google Now is much more helpful for things like shipment tracking, flights, traffic conditions.

Google Now does all that. Or, rather, Google voice actions, whatever.

this_guy

Agree on the new Google Messenger app. It's pretty great. Love the paper experience.

I use it too, but it just needs a couple of things to make it great. It'd be nice to have pop up notifications that we can respond to and send texts from, and when I get a text it would be nice to have led notifications.

Quixzlizx

I use it too, but it just needs a couple of things to make it great. It'd be nice to have pop up notifications that we can respond to and send texts from, and when I get a text it would be nice to have led notifications.

Why didn't they build Hangout functionality into the new Messenger app? The only reason why i use Hangouts is because I have crappy reception in my apartment and have to send "texts" through wifi instead of SMS.

malyce

7TyVPOdl.png

Dat idle drain.

Wreav

Banned
Why didn't they build Hangout functionality into the new Messenger app? The only reason why i use Hangouts is because I have crappy reception in my apartment and have to send "texts" through wifi instead of SMS.

Chronically separate dev teams at Google that don't feature share with each other. It's so frustrating. In many ways, the new Messenger app is very much like the early Google Talk builds, clean and fast. Hangouts has become a weird FB Messenger rival with its bloated useless features.

HTC, please release Lollipop soon for the M8.

Thanks.

Hahahahaha. I think if you're not on Nexus you should be okay with waiting 4-8 months for any update :p

Just bought an Android tablet. I dunno why...

I am thinking of buying a Galaxy Note Tab 2014 (and keeping my GNex) since the Galaxy Note 4 has went the way of the dinosaur. Surely the stylus makes it superior to any iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom