• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really starting to feel like 5.0 is the iOS7 of Android, in terms of it being the version that introduced a massive performance drop.

Even on 5.0.1, I'm getting draw-in and lag that gets progressively worse the longer the phone stays on and wasn't present on KitKat.

Hasney

I did a switch with the last CM12 upgrade I did to F2FS ahead of ext4 and it is performing a lot better than it was previously. Lag has gone away, but the draw in can still be annoying.

terrier

Correct me if I'm wrong, but having it listen for "OK Google" in all screens is a hit on battery life, isn't it? I don't use it, just what I've heard.

wasn't that an issue only when screen is off ? i did not know that having voice commands for any screen was bad for battery life.

Drifters

All you all just need to go buy Silence premium and setup your day and night times. It is easier than dicking with apps on an individual basis unless you have OCD.

manfestival

I'm really starting to feel like 5.0 is the iOS7 of Android, in terms of it being the version that introduced a massive performance drop.

Even on 5.0.1, I'm getting draw-in and lag that gets progressively worse the longer the phone stays on and wasn't present on KitKat.

This is the same for me. However, I do totally dig the aesthetic

Toki767

I bet it's all the animations.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Yeah, performance wise, it's not so great. Things are snappier if you're not doing more than using one app. But once you go to the home screen, hit the multitask button, anything like that, it all goes to crap.

Where do you turn off vibration for notifications? (Stock 5.0)

Lollipop screwed up how Android handles sounds and notifications. Total PITA.

Huh, would you look at that.

I'm so jealous of his Edge.

Zeppu

I don't find Lollipop per se to be worse performing than Kitkat on my Nexus 5. The problems with it seem to be a slew of bugs which need to be ironed out quickly. It seems to go to shit after a few days of use, probably due to bad memory management. I've also had some issues where I lose the soft buttons and notification bar, forcing me to have to do a restart. Of course there's still the issue where the launcher sometimes being killed causing it to have to relaunch when you press the home button.

The Nexus 9 on the other hand performs terribly, especially Chrome which sometimes completely stops responding. I don't know if it's the encryption, but I somehow doubt it since theoretically some of the slowdowns don't seem to be require data to be read/written from storage.

I think what gcubed said about memory is a source of many of these sorts of issues but most of all it just seems that it was rushed out the door because of the hardware. I am still optimistic (read: delusional) that a 5.1 properly-tested release will make it a much better overall OS.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The Nexus 9 is a bad tablet. I had such high hopes for it, too. 4:3 ratio, a good size. I don't mind paying money for a good tablet. But the N9 is not a good tablet.

Zeppu

The Nexus 9 is a bad tablet. I had such high hopes for it, too. 4:3 ratio, a good size. I don't mind paying money for a good tablet. But the N9 is not a good tablet.

Couldn't agree with you more. The hoops I had to jump through though made it near impossible to return. Sucky.

Milpool

Apart from .0 being dog shite, I feel like I'm only person who likes the N9. Though I don't have problems pressing buttons, floppy back or backlight bleed.

gcubed

Is more apparent on things with 2gb of memory and less so on 3gb devices. I notice it way more on my N5 then I do on my N6. If you leave the phone on for a week you get lots of launcher redraws on the N5, but I don't hit that issue on the 6.

The N5 is still running 5.0 though, not sure if it was cleaned up a bit in 5.0.1. It's something that needs to be addressed quickly as I can only imagine how much of a disaster it's going to be on a Galaxy phone which has way more shit running by default.

Bboy AJ

Apart from .0 being dog shite, I feel like I'm only person who likes the N9. Though I don't have problems pressing buttons, floppy back or backlight bleed.

You are not alone. I love mine and don't see anything android that would be better.

Doesn't your N9 redraw the home screen all the time? Don't browser tabs constantly refresh? Switching apps laggy? Aren't the hardware buttons mushy? Is performance particularly good, considering the 64 bit chip?

I have all these issues. Battery life has certainly gotten better, though.

Zeppu

Doesn't your N9 redraw the home screen all the time? Don't browser tabs constantly refresh? Switching apps laggy? Aren't the hardware buttons mushy? Is performance particularly good, considering the 64 bit chip?

This is exactly mine, down to the recently improved battery life (chrome update I think).

Milpool

Just the home screen refreshes and slow app switching, but I file that under .0 being shite. I've noticed games run really well, Godus flies on ultra settings but is choppy on the nexus 6 unless I lower the settings.

Clicky hardware buttons for me.

thenexus6

Is there anyway to completely remove every language on my Nexus 5 aside from english? I got korean, pinyin, hindi input showing and I don't know why.

Bboy AJ

Is there anyway to completely remove every language on my Nexus 5 aside from english? I got korean, pinyin, hindi input showing and I don't know why.

You can go to apps and disable those specific ones.

Question,is there anyway to delete bloatware from my note 4 without voiding my warranty or I am just stuck with them being disabled and eating cyber dust?

gcubed

i'm not sure what your insistence about 64bit being a game changer comes from. Its a check box at this point and once you get over this idea that 64 bit is going to usher in a performance revolution you can avoid overhyping the product in your mind. You should be more annoyed with the fact that a premium android tablet only came with 2gb of memory, while phones have been coming with 3gb for a while.

Bboy AJ

i'm not sure what your insistence about 64bit being a game changer comes from. Its a check box at this point and once you get over this idea that 64 bit is going to usher in a performance revolution you can avoid overhyping the product in your mind. You should be more annoyed with the fact that a premium android tablet only came with 2gb of memory, while phones have been coming with 3gb for a while.

Reads list of five different issues. Ignores all, focuses on one, and reiterates the main beef.

gcubed

NotBacon

Dat battery life

Is insane on the Nexus 6 and fine on the Moto X, nothing special. Wait, we're not talking about battery life!

Ah gotchya. So if I was to enable this on my Galaxy S4 it would take a hit but not on that. Still, I bet that sub-processor isn't helping the battery in general, but I guess it's needed for that other stuff Moto does too.

Idle drain on Nexus 6 is also insane. Dedicated voice recognition chip doing its job...

My 2013 N7, after a few hours to a day of uptime, feels sluggish and behind on a large amount of touch input. This is with a clean factory image install of 5.0, and the 5.0.1 OTA hasn't done much to alleviate this.

Hope 5.1 brings improvements to this, takes a less silly approach to revamping the notification system, and attempts to bring some order to the recents menu.

Anyone else still without lollipop on one of his devices?

My N7 2013 got the update notification, but I had to finish something so I postponed the update. The next day it says there is no update. That was almost a week ago...

Using the Note Edge is pretty nice so far, although I miss the interface and design of Windows Phone. Main appeal so far is the specs compared to my 920, everything is so fast and the phone doesn't crash when browsing!

Drifters

What the hell? You guys notice in 5.0.1 on some apps they have the top drawer at the top as white while others are black? Odd.

kehs

Banned
nexus2cee_upload1.png

The fucking future.

Using the Note Edge is pretty nice so far, although I miss the interface and design of Windows Phone. Main appeal so far is the specs compared to my 920, everything is so fast and the phone doesn't crash when browsing!

Around 3 years ago when I had the old Samsung Infuse, I downloaded a Windows Phone launcher for it because I also really liked the Android tile design.

I think there are a few out there you can choose from, but the one I had included widgets that worked like how live tiles worked on windows phone, and it was pretty customizable as well. Not sure if this is the one I had, but this one has pretty good reviews: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8&hl=en

Now I just use the Nova Launcher with the Minimal UI icon skins to get a look a really like.

Bboy AJ

How did you decide on the Edge? How do you like it so far? Is the Edge useful?

Around 3 years ago when I had the old Samsung Infuse, I downloaded a Windows Phone launcher for it because I also really liked the Android tile design.

I think there are a few out there you can choose from, but the one I had included widgets that worked like how live tiles worked on windows phone, and it was pretty customizable as well. Not sure if this is the one I had, but this one has pretty good reviews: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lx.launcher8&hl=en

Now I just use the Nova Launcher with the Minimal UI icon skins to get a look a really like.
Interesting, will give it a go when I get off work. Thanks!

How did you decide on the Edge? How do you like it so far? Is the Edge useful?
I almost got a Note back in 12 but ended up getting a Lumia 920 instead. Given I'm switching to Android until the Windows flagships arrive I figured it'd be good to go with the latest model of my second choice. Your comment alerted its existence to me and the edge was unique enough to be attractive. So far I can't say it's been a game changer, although I've had the phone for 3 hours. Nice to see my messages previewed there and the various shortcuts are useful. Main appeal so far is that it just looks really damn cool. I've been using Windows Phone for years now though, so I'm mainly just getting to grips with Android at the moment.

Wreav

Banned
nexus2cee_upload1.png

The fucking future.

As a Nest owner that works a steady 8-5, the Nest's built in learning makes this pretty pointless. It already knows when I come home. I can see this being more convenient than logging into the Nest app for controlling the temp remotely, though.

Bboy AJ

Interesting, will give it a go when I get off work. Thanks!

I almost got a Note back in 12 but ended up getting a Lumia 920 instead. Given I'm switching to Android until the Windows flagships arrive I figured it'd be good to go with the latest model of my second choice. Your comment alerted its existence to me and the edge was unique enough to be attractive. So far I can't say it's been a game changer, although I've had the phone for 3 hours. Nice to see my messages previewed there and the various shortcuts are useful. Main appeal so far is that it just looks really damn cool. I've been using Windows Phone for years now though, so I'm mainly just getting to grips with Android at the moment.
Y-you got the phone partly because of me? :eek: I'm so jealous. Post more impressions as they develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom