• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
My Moto X is just draining battery on standby. So pissed. Fuck this phone.

Yeah, it's really an awful phone from a battery perspective. It would drain 10% on my 40min commute in the morning, where the iPhone drains about 1-2%.

I found that turning off the Moto notifications and using stock android ones saved quite a bit of battery, but that basically turns off the motion detectors and renders that whole functionality useless.

Thinking I might do the worst thing ever and exchange it for a Note 4.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There was a big update for Fleksy today, so I finally gave it a shot and so far I really like it. Navigating through punctuation selection is a pain, but I like everything else. I even coughed up $3 for a "chameleon" theme that changes the color of the keyboard to match the material color of whatever app you're in. It's nice. I also like that it allows me to shrink the keyboard. After several months of having a shrunken version of SwiftKey, I can't go back to using something that takes up half of my screen.
Invisible mode is great. It's my favorite.

NotBacon

Guys, I bought a white 32 Nexus 6. I am still disappointed with how the phone turned out but I am weak.

One of us.
Can't wait for the "wait.............. this phone is great".

Ehhhhhhhh

Okay okay a lot of junk files are actually junk.

I'm surprised, since it's almost a 1:1 little brother of the N6, and I drain almost zilch on standby...

Furyous

7 inch smartphone? why not

gallery-Studio-7.0-B1.png

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PKM1QBA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

.... Or you could buy an old Nexus tablet and install Skype + Textplus. That provides you with a better experience than a 7 inch phone with a LOLRESOLUTIONLOL.

Reckoner

Yeah, it's really an awful phone from a battery perspective. It would drain 10% on my 40min commute in the morning, where the iPhone drains about 1-2%.

I found that turning off the Moto notifications and using stock android ones saved quite a bit of battery, but that basically turns off the motion detectors and renders that whole functionality useless.

How much SOT and stand by time are you getting?

I got like 20 hours and 4 hours SOT yesterday, first day of use. Some gaming, Google Play, browsing, just one phone call, though, and some hangouts messaging. Also, installed a bunch of apps.

I did nothing watching an episode of The Good Wife and it went down like 6-7%. I'm like fucking christ I didn't do anything and it wasn't even near me so I couldn't have accidentally triggered the infrared sensors.
Android + Small battery = no go for me. That's why I didn't get the phone. After the nexus 5 I officially said no to small batteries respective of screen size and whatnot. Even if I really want a phone. Hence why I'm androidless phone wise at the moment.

the worst thing about the Tab S is the feels from other people when they see it. you can sense their sweaty tongues baring moisture down your neck as they affix their eyes to that screen and gaze into the birthing of new universe. looking like like they would rob you at gunpoint if only they had the balls. shit is amazing!

the worst thing about the Tab S is the feels from other people when they see it. you can sense their sweaty tongues baring moisture down your neck as they affix their eyes to that screen and gaze into the birthing of new universe. looking like like they would rob you at gunpoint if only they had the balls. shit is amazing!
ughh don't do this to me when I'm looking for a tablet. Not that I want that one specifically but still :(

This is great. Poetry.

Your logic man...

So instead of disabling the feature that you think is causing the drain your fix is to buy a phone that doesn't have the feature?

Just disable active display...

malyce

Lies. Moto X with the lollipop update have been getting great battery life. You guys are probably still on Kitkat. Project Volta is a beast.

Lies. Moto X with the lollipop update have been getting great battery life. You guys are probably still on Kitkat. Project Volta is a beast.

I'm pretty sure Jazzy is on lollipop. Project Volta seems to be a fluke so far. But nevertheless, I have gotten 5 hours of SoT all last week except thursday where I got 3 hours. Way better than my last phone. But alas, I could have had even better battery life if I had a Z3 :/

Well, to be fair, Project
I can't believe it's not
Butter, actually did bring noticeable improvements to Android performance. And did Google ever claim Volta would improve battery life? I thought they were only claiming battery saver mode would help extend battery life.

Well, to be fair, Project
I can't believe it's not
Butter, actually did bring noticeable improvements to Android performance. And did Google ever claim Volta would improve battery life? I thought they were only claiming battery saver mode would help extend battery life.
naw they explained it as more than that, like android central says:

Project Volta is an umbrella name for several improvements in Android L, including optimizations of subsystems, better display of battery usage, a new job scheduler and of course a new Power Saver mode.

trifelife

The update for 5.0.1 popped up on my phone. It restarted and gave me an error. When it came back to a normal state, the update was never installed and it can't find it if I try and force it.

Well... now what?

This happened to me as well. System Update will pop with it eventually, though I once again encountered the error then got stuck in a bootloop.

Going to try locking the bootloader when I'm near a computer and try again.

edit: http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...-help-desk-t2523217/post57537387#post57537387

Wreav

Banned
Your logic man...

So instead of disabling the feature that you think is causing the drain your fix is to buy a phone that doesn't have the feature?

Just disable active display...

I did disable Active Display, and said it helped. Reading is hard.

Either way, the battery drain while using the phone sucks ass. Never made it past 2.5hr SOT. Garbage.

Returned it for a Note 4 tonight. God, TouchWiz still blows. Pleasantly surprised by the S Pen, though, it's really nice.

I'm gonna make my Moto Voice "Hey you piece of shit wake up".

It's funny because you have to scream to get it to recognize your voice, which is perfect for your phrase.

mturco

Fun group aren't they? Next topic name... Android |OT5| (The glass is half empty)

To be fair, I think a lot of us have stopped posting in here either because it's become super negative or because we're all in the Hangout. Things were a lot more lively (and positive) in this thread a year ago for sure.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
To be fair, I think a lot of us have stopped posting in here either because it's become super negative or because we're all in the Hangout. Things were a lot more lively (and positive) in this thread a year ago for sure.

I haven't been following this thread for long and these last three or so pages have turned me off at the idea of posting here regularly.

mturco

I haven't been following this thread for long and these last three or so pages have turned me off at the idea of posting here regularly.

Yeah I don't blame you. I can invite you to our Hangout if you want but be warned that it's super fast moving and very often off topic since, well, there's no Android news most days haha.

MarkusRJR

So I'm 99% sure I'm moving to Google services (coming from MS services), since Xbox Music sucks on Android and my subscription ends soon. Is there anything I need to know (differences, ways to transfer libraries)?

Not sure if I should keep buying movies on my Xbox though (own a decent collection on Xbox Video) or start buying on the Play store (and maybe get a Nexus Player or Chromecast). Any advice from people who have been 100% invested in an ecosystem and changed?

kehs

Banned
So I'm 99% sure I'm moving to Google services (coming from MS services), since Xbox Music sucks on Android and my subscription ends soon. Is there anything I need to know (differences, ways to transfer libraries)?

Not sure if I should keep buying movies on my Xbox though (own a decent collection on Xbox Video) or start buying on the Play store (and maybe get a Nexus Player or Chromecast). Any advice from people who have been 100% invested in an ecosystem and changed?

How come? I'm thinking of doing the opposite.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Why not get a Netflix subscription and a DNS/VPN blocker to go with it? The Netflix regions around the world have a lots of great movies/shows to fill in the gaps of the America library.

Edit - As for music, Spotify?

MarkusRJR

How come? I'm thinking of doing the opposite.
Xbox Music sucks on android. There's no way to find new music beyond manually searching for specific songs/artists, meaning the only way I can discover music is through the desktop. While I prefer Outlook and Xbox Video (much more selection on XV than Google Play, they have deals on bundles of movies, more anime, etc), I'd much prefer to have it all on one account if I can.

The main reason for the move is that I moved from Windows Phone/Blackberry to Android (Moto G Second Gen had a good Black Friday deal), and now my Surface RT is crapping out on me. The only Windows Tablet that really appeals to me is the Lenovo Miix 2 (due to some insane deals on the 64gb model) has touch screen issues. The only other options I'd probably consider (Lenovo Yoga 2 Tablet w/ Windows or Surface Pro 3) are way overpriced of unavailable in my country. I'm thinking of just going all in on Google's ecosystem due to better hardware availability and going with the new Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet (I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Laptop and love it). MS's ecosystem is nice on their products (and from what I've heard, iOS) but are bad or outright missing on Android.

TLDR: MS's services suck (Xbox Music) or aren't available (Xbox Video) on android. Since my new phone is an Android phone and I need to move from my dying Windows tablet, now seems like the best time.

Why not get a Netflix subscription and a DNS/VPN blocker to go with it? The Netflix regions around the world have a lots of great movies/shows to fill in the gaps of the America library.
I live in Canada (which has a TON of TV but basically no modern movies beyond 5-6 they shuffle out every few months) which I personally love, but I have a pretty decently sized collection on Xbox Video. My main concern is having two libraries of movies (start buying them on Google Play), or if I should just stick with MS on Xbox Video?

meow

Hi everyone, just a question -- I have a Nexus 4 running 5.0.1 and I've been having this problem where I can't access the play store at my apartment, it always just says no connection and shows the retry button (which doesn't do anything). I know it isn't that the wifi isn't working because I can still get online/watch netflix or whatever. But if I go one street over and get on my school's wifi, it starts working again. Any idea what this issue is??

MarkusRJR

Hi everyone, just a question -- I have a Nexus 4 running 5.0.1 and I've been having this problem where I can't access the play store at my apartment, it always just says no connection and shows the retry button (which doesn't do anything). I know it isn't that the wifi isn't working because I can still get online/watch netflix or whatever. But if I go one street over and get on my school's wifi, it starts working again. Any idea what this issue is??
Most likely it's a router problem (my older router refused to do specific things on specific devices for no reason) but it might be a phone problem. If it works with cell data that'd sound like a router or ISP issue tbh, especially with how you said it works on other wi-fi networks.

I wonder if people actually switch to the google now launcher when they get a samsung phone. All I see is people moaning about how horrible touchwiz is,i do want to know what is so bad about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom