• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

Well they arguabaly have the best smartphone in 2014(well phablet..)

As bad as touchwiz is..at least its not a beta OS like 5.0

It was pretty hilarious how this thread was like

Lollipop will make ______way better...

Imagine if the Note 4 would have home screen redraw issues like what people are describing with lollipop.

Gwanatu T

What's the best, free or otherwise, 3rd party camera app? I'm looking for something a bit more...extensive to compliment the....minimalist camera app on my Droid Turbo.

Google Camera is good and has a lot of awesome features. Outside of that A Better Camera has always been good for me if you're looking for a ton of extras.

kehs

Banned
Google Camera is good and has a lot of awesome features. Outside of that A Better Camera has always been good for me if you're looking for a ton of extras.

Google camera has been kinda lame lately for me on my Xperia® Z3 Compact™.

The built in camera app has been taken much better pictures.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

A Better Camera Unlocked is on sale for 99cents so just bought that. Will try that out...thanks!

Google camera has been kinda lame lately for me on my Xperia® Z3 Compact™.

The built in camera app has been taken much better pictures.

I only use the gcam for panorama and sphere shots.

The Z3 panorama feature is terrible, but yeah apart from that, the rest of the software gets the job more than done.

NotBacon

Lol at the people grasping for straws to keep the hate train chugging along.

- Insinuating the Nexus 6 doesn't have BEAST battery life
- Apparently there is a problem with volumes now?
- "Some people don't like the new lockscreen music control button move"

THIS IS ALL STUPID NIT-PICKING ANYWAYS.

Let's just stick to the facts: Note 4 and Nexus 6 are nearly indiscernible in terms of hardware performance.
"but Note 4 gets some extra minutes of battery life"
"but Note 4 camer-"
Doesn't matter, the layman won't notice. Both phones are beast flagships, with beast batteries, beast cameras, etc.

The only noticeable difference will be the software you use day in and day out. Pure Lollipop or TouchWiz, take your pick. Whatever makes you happy and has what you need.

Not everything needs to be an argument or hate-filled.

How can people still be getting the nits measure wrong? It's WAY brighter than 270.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Wow Google's ecosystem is so much better than Microsoft's. So happy I moved over. :eek:

How? Google video and music is sorely missed on ios and windows. They aren't making the multi platform effort Microsoft is. But obviously on Android, their software seems very cohesive.

Lol at the people grasping for straws to keep the hate train chugging along.

- Insinuating the Nexus 6 doesn't have BEAST battery life
- Apparently there is a problem with volumes now?
- "Some people don't like the new lockscreen music control button move"

THIS IS ALL STUPID NIT-PICKING ANYWAYS.

Let's just stick to the facts: Note 4 and Nexus 6 are nearly indiscernible in terms of hardware performance.
"but Note 4 gets some extra minutes of battery life"
"but Note 4 camer-"
Doesn't matter, the layman won't notice. Both phones are beast flagships, with beast batteries, beast cameras, etc.

The only noticeable difference will be the software you use day in and day out. Pure Lollipop or TouchWiz, take your pick. Whatever makes you happy and has what you need.

Not everything needs to be an argument or hate-filled.

How can people still be getting the nits measure wrong? It's WAY brighter than 270.
I agree with you for the most part, but the way stock Android handles volume controls and the way Google has made lock screen music controls worse compared to KitKat are actually true.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm having some trouble typing on my Nexus 5 since 5.x. I'm using the swype keyboard, and I'd accidentally shift words around when making a post on gaf, or copy them somewhere else. I figured it's due to my other fingers brushing the textbox and dragging words around but sometimes it happens even if I keep them well away.

Is this just me or are other people having this problem?

MarkusRJR

Which Android did you get?
Got a Moto G Second Gen as a gift and just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 8" Tablet during a Christmas sale. Moved over from Windows Phone/Blackberry. I was originally planning to use MS's android apps but after trying to deal with it for a day or so it became abundantly clear it just wasn't going to happen. On WP the MS ecosystem apps are competent, but on android they're pretty bad.

Google Play Music is infinitely better than Xbox Music on android. The mobile version is fully featured and fast, unlike Xbox Music where you can't look at music beyond your collection (or if you search for a specific song). Plus, there's way better prices for Movies and Music. The apps on all ends are just so much better. Only real negative is Google Docs being worse than Office, but I don't really mind.

Don't even get me started on the app situation in comparison to WP. I actually can play the latest games and try apps that my friends are using.

Definitely going to miss the connectivity to my Xbox (OneDrive, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, etc), but I might end up with a Nexus Player or Chromecast eventually so that'll probably fill that void.

Sch1sm

You swipe down to expand the controls. .5 seconds of work. It's a nitpick.

They could have left it as is and saved us that whole .5s. We've gone backwards in terms of functionality with the addition of steps that were unnecessary on KK, be real here. :lol

Fbh

Damn, still can't figure out where my damn storage space is going.

I downloaded some random storage App a friend told me about and here it shows me the right amount of storage:

KoG3MPh.jpg

But then I press on the "partition" button and it shows the "wrong" amount of free space

nfECOnD.jpg

Is there some issues with the partition?

Oh no, I can't back skip without swiping down. How the fuck I am gonna live now?
My main problem is the fact that skipping back and forth between songs is all you can do now, in addition to pause/play, of course. On KitKat, I'm able to long press on one of the music control buttons and seek to any part of a song. In lollipop, all I can do is skip back to the beginning of the currently playing song. And no, I shouldn't have to swipe down to access another button.

RedFyn

Got a Moto G Second Gen as a gift and just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 8" Tablet during a Christmas sale. Moved over from Windows Phone/Blackberry. I was originally planning to use MS's android apps but after trying to deal with it for a day or so it became abundantly clear it just wasn't going to happen. On WP the MS ecosystem apps are competent, but on android they're pretty bad.

Google Play Music is infinitely better than Xbox Music on android. The mobile version is fully featured and fast, unlike Xbox Music where you can't look at music beyond your collection (or if you search for a specific song). Plus, there's way better prices for Movies and Music. The apps on all ends are just so much better. Only real negative is Google Docs being worse than Office, but I don't really mind.

Don't even get me started on the app situation in comparison to WP. I actually can play the latest games and try apps that my friends are using.

Definitely going to miss the connectivity to my Xbox (OneDrive, Xbox Music, Xbox Video, etc), but I might end up with a Nexus Player or Chromecast eventually so that'll probably fill that void.

I've never used them so I can't recommend them but there's a onedrive, Xbox music, and office app. There's also a bunch of good alternatives to the office app.

Donos

Need a better sms app. Should be rather slim. Deleted GoSMS because of all the ads. Using Evolve SMS but its getting laggy and unreliable (One M8).

Don't care if free or not.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Need a better sms app. Should be rather slim. Deleted GoSMS because of all the ads. Using Evolve SMS but its getting laggy and unreliable (One M8).

Don't care if free or not.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but have you tried the new Google app; "Messenger"? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en It's served me very well since it was released recently. It is SO much better than Hangouts. If you lost cell connection with Hangouts you'd need to manually tap "Retry"! This app will just keep trying to retry until it succeeds.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Thanks, going to try it out. Still have to use sms to communicate with the non-smartphone/whatsapp crowd at work :)

I've been through a lot of apps through the years. Stock apps that came with phones, Hangouts, various messaging apps, and I keep coming back to Facebook Messenger and now Google's Messenger.

When my Girlfriend and I first got together we started texting using hangouts, since if you couldn't get a cell connection you could message in-app using Wifi but it wasn't really the exact same thing. I introduced her to FB Messenger since that's what I use with everyone else, even my work. Now Google's Messenger comes along and it works really great but my GF is stuck on FB Messenger. The only people I really use text for are my brother, his lady, and my ex-wife.

If you've got a chance in your life to use actual "SMS" Google's new Messenger is a damned solid choice in my book, and I hope it works out for you.

Hasney

I'm not saying it's not a regression. I'm just saying this is some real first-world-problem shit here :p

Yeah, they're phones. Everything about them is a first world problem. If any company had something working and decided to make things worse, I don't give a damn if it's worse by a pixel, they should fix the damn thing and not stick to the regression. I could skip tracks in my pocket on a rainy day and I just can't now, thank fuck CM12 has a workaround with volume button skipping.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
SD card support hasn't been changed in Lollipop, and neither has lockscreen music. Are you talking about music scrubbing?

Both of those things have been changed. One for the better, one for the worse. SD cards are more open to access for 3rd party apps again, which is good. Lock screen media controls are just a notification like any other now instead of having their own dedicated space and being more usable, which is bad.

thenexus6

Got both Hitman and Chinatown Wars on the amazon app store. They are both part of the big sale on the play store but I have over £30 still from the GTA SA amazon coin glitch so have a tonne of money to spend on there. Not installed either yet though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm not saying it's not a regression. I'm just saying this is some real first-world-problem shit here :p

I am very much opposed to this attitude. Let's just dismiss everything and go back to grunting, smoke signals, sundials, and caves.

I miss tino #freetino

My Moto X's battery is getting a bit better. Turned Moto display back on and getting around 15 hours of battery time a day with around 3 hours SoT with medium use. Can't say I'm happy, but I am content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom