• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

Thanks!

I'll see if I can get a good deal on a Nexus. If not, I might just go Moto G for a test run of a few weeks. The big decision will probably come next September. If Apple tries to pull an Apple and there's no RAM upgrade, I'll move over to Android. Hopefully I'll try it out before then though.

Gotta keep things fresh.

N6 is too crazy for me though. No way I could use a 6" phone. 4.5-5.2" is the best range imo.

I really wish I could tell you there is a phone as perfect as the Nexus 6 in your size range, but I can't :/ they each have flaws like smallish battery, sub-par camera, etc.

But if you're upgrading next fall, you might be in luck with the next Moto X or Nexus.

Anyways, have fun playing around with a new OS!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N6 is too crazy for me though. No way I could use a 6" phone. 4.5-5.2" is the best range imo.
Since you've never used anything but 3.5" or 4", how would you know?

GtwoK

Alright, I've been dying to get a new phone for months now. I'm stuck between 2 models, hoping to purchase withing the next few days.

32GB Nexus 5
32GB OnePlus One

• I'm buying off contract, so needs to be cheapish
• Need not shit battery life. Enough to get through at least a day of moderate - heavy use.
• Need at LEAST a somewhat decent camera. Obviously can't really expect iPhone-quality, just something nice.
• Want as close to vanilla android as possible. After Samsung and HTC, I'm tired of these bullshit-looking skins and forced garbage like Sense.

Considered the Moto X 2014, but it's very difficult to get in Canada for whatever reason.

Anyone have any final advice for me? I think the OPO is supposed to have a better camera than the N5, and looks nicer, but I've heard bad things about the company / shipping / invite stuff.

kharma45

Alright, I've been dying to get a new phone for months now. I'm stuck between 2 models, hoping to purchase withing the next few days.

32GB Nexus 5
32GB OnePlus One

• Need not shit battery life. Enough to get through at least a day of moderate - heavy use.
• Need at LEAST a somewhat decent camera. Obviously can't really expect iPhone-quality, just something nice.
• Want as close to vanilla android as possible. After Samsung and HTC, I'm tired of these bullshit-looking skins and forced garbage like Sense.

Considered the Moto X 2014, but it's very difficult to get in Canada for whatever reason.

Anyone have any final advice for me? I think the OPO is supposed to have a better camera than the N5, and looks nicer, but I've heard bad things about the company / shipping / invite stuff.

If battery is a concern then OnePlus One.

Rizific

Any way to roll back my lollipop update? This update fucked my moto x and I'm getting tired of it. The voice activation/recognition is fucked and the messaging app is fucked. It worked great pre lollipop and worked how it was supposed to. i like the lollipop update and don't want to resort to a 3rd party launcher. Can I retain the voice activation stuff with a 3rd party launcher and SMS app?

ito007

I'm sorry if this has been discussed but I can't seem to find an answer.

And news on when we can expect android 5 on the first gen moto x?

NotBacon

Any way to roll back my lollipop update? This update fucked my moto x and I'm getting tired of it. The voice activation/recognition is fucked and the messaging app is fucked. It worked great pre lollipop and worked how it was supposed to. i like the lollipop update and don't want to resort to a 3rd party launcher. Can I retain the voice activation stuff with a 3rd party launcher and SMS app?

Have you tried Google Messenger or Google Now Launcher? Both tried and true for texting and voice actions.

Gwanatu T

I'd say it might be slightly below the G3. It's a good camera. It lacks OIS though.

I think it depends on the situation. Both LG and Samsung tend to bias a little too high on the denoise filters, although LG is much less offensive on that front. The camera on the OPO was better before Cyanogen added the denoise filter, as it tended to bias toward higher iso in lower light instead of a slower shutter. After one of the updates in September or October they changed the bias of the software and now it's more muddy than I would like. I usually try to use RAW on it to avoid the shiesty denoise filter in general and for this reason I'd prefer the OPOs camera.

I don't believe most have an issue with 2K screens, but rather the prioritisation of 2K over other facets of the phone. Most I know would rather take 1080p with a superior battery life than 2K and the hit it has. In the future, that hit will be mitigated, or batteries will be able to absorb it with ease, but right now, the bump in res simply isn't worth it.

but battery life went up. just like the last time resolution got bumped. and the time before. and the time before that. and people complained about 720p and 1080p too.

jesalr

but battery life went up. just like the last time resolution got bumped. and the time before. and the time before that. and people complained about 720p and 1080p too.

Right, but again, it's about compromise. At this point in time, I'd still rather the battery go up even more before the res goes up. Battery is still a major issue with most smartphones. I don't think very many people would say the same about resolution.

Right, but again, it's about compromise. At this point in time, I'd still rather the battery go up even more before the res goes up. Battery is still a major issue with most smartphones. I don't think very many people would say the same about resolution.

and people said that about qHD, 720p and 1080p too.

people will say it about 4K soon too, even as battery life continues to rise.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Haven't gotten more than 2.5 SoT on the Note 4 in the week I've used it. Dropped 5% in an hour this morning. Sammy bringing that hot garbage as usual.
It's funny reading this to me, when I got like almost 8 hours of on screen time the other day. I consistently get six to seven hours per charge.

MHL definitely works on the Tab S :D

what about Miracast? or you could always get a Chromecast and use screen mirroring.
Too much delay. I was mostly thinking of using it as a way to play emus on a TV while traveling.

How is the Tab S? I don't hear much about it. I was considering going that route, but I really don't like Samsung's designs.

Gwanatu T

And yet people in this thread and most others will lambast the N5 for its appalling battery life and camera well before the resolution.

Except that most people are/were horribly misinformed about the n5 camera. The screen and battery life can't be defended much though.

haha I guess I just have low standards, because I think the pictures my N5 take are pretty good. I mean low light photos are blah, but im ok with that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
haha I guess I just have low standards, because I think the pictures my N5 take are pretty good. I mean low light photos are blah, but im ok with that.
No, you are right. The N5 camera is great.

Enco

Since you've never used anything but 3.5" or 4", how would you know?
I've played around with a lot of friends models.

5.5" felt pretty damn huge but I might be able to get used to it.

4.7" was really nice.

I enjoy using my phone one handed and if I went 5.2"+, I would have to sacrifice that.

I really wish I could tell you there is a phone as perfect as the Nexus 6 in your size range, but I can't :/ they each have flaws like smallish battery, sub-par camera, etc.

But if you're upgrading next fall, you might be in luck with the next Moto X or Nexus.

Anyways, have fun playing around with a new OS!
Yea I'm hoping next year we see some great well rounded phones. I agree that no phone right now is perfect. One can dream.

Majine

Banned
I think Android could need a standardised sharing sheet. Some apps show it as a grid of apps, some show a list. Some are alphabetical and some are not. It's all confusing.

Bboy AJ

I've played around with a lot of friends models.
That doesn't count, though. But I think you have the right attitude with the 5.5" comment. I say just give it a shot. Don't let what you think is your maximum screen size deter you. Lots of us former "small" screen users were once there.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I have kinda small hands and just jumped from the S3 to the Droid Turbo (4.7" to 5.2"?). The difference felt more substantial at first than I thought it would. For the first day or so I was seriously considering returning it because it just felt so cumbersome to use, but I think I'm already getting used to it and it's starting to feel more natural. Just 4 days after getting it I picked up my old S3 and it felt so small (and light) in comparison. I really cannot imagine going any larger than this, though. It would simply be impractical for a one-handed device.

32GB Nexus 5
32GB OnePlus One

Needs not shitty battery life? Don't get a nexus 5. I loved mine but frealz lol it's bad

NotBacon

I have kinda small hands and just jumped from the S3 to the Droid Turbo (4.7" to 5.2"?). The difference felt more substantial at first than I thought it would. For the first day or so I was seriously considering returning it because it just felt so cumbersome to use, but I think I'm already getting used to it and it's starting to feel more natural. Just 4 days after getting it I picked up my old S3 and it felt so small (and light) in comparison. I really cannot imagine going any larger than this, though. It would simply be impractical for a one-handed device.

Currently browsing(and typing responses) GAF and reddit one handed on a 5.9" screen with ease, and my hands aren't even big.

I feel like a lot of people just look at a giant phone and an alarm goes off in their head telling them 'NO'. Same thing happened to me. Then I bought it anyways (because Nexus duh). I thought about returning it for a few days because my hands just weren't accustomed. Now I can't imagine going to a smaller phone again. It would suck so much.

Wreav

Banned
Nothing about using the Note one handed has been "easy" for this 6'3" man with big hands. Possible, yes, but not easy or convenient at all. For many, 4.7-5.2 is the one hand sweet spot.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Currently browsing(and typing responses) GAF and reddit one handed on a 5.9" screen with ease, and my hands aren't even big.

I feel like a lot of people just look at a giant phone and an alarm goes off in their head telling them 'NO'. Same thing happened to me. Then I bought it anyways (because Nexus duh). I thought about returning it for a few days because my hands just weren't accustomed. Now I can't imagine going to a smaller phone again. It would suck so much.

How long are you fingers? I have short fingers. I like being able to wrap my fingers all the way around the phone and still being able to reach every point of the screen with my thumb so that I'm actually holding it and it's not just resting in my hand, which I could do on the S3 but cannot on the Turbo. I can manage on it but anything bigger would just be too unwieldy and I'd be worried about dropping it. Plus I only have limited space in my pockets...

I'm 5" 8' and I can use the Note 4 one-handed. I don't wrap my entire hand around it though, I'll let gravity do the work lol I keep my fingers around the centre, closer to the right and from there I can reach anywhere on screen with my thumb.

Unicorn

So, for christmas I got a secondhand Moto X (2013) from a site. It's a dev or press edition of the Moto X and when I plugged it into to charge it popped up that it has an unlocked bootloader.

I'm on Verizon and unlocked my Galaxy S3 a year or so ago, but I'm so rusty on the whole shebang, I'm curious where to go from here.

I haven't fully booted the phone yet to transfer/activate yet, but is there anything I need to do beforehand? What's the custom booting "scene" look like now. Should I bother, or is (what I hope is) stock Moto X experience good enough?

NotBacon

How long are you fingers? I have short fingers. I like being able to wrap my fingers all the way around the phone and still being able to reach every point of the screen with my thumb so that I'm actually holding it and it's not just resting in my hand, which I could do on the S3 but cannot on the Turbo. I can manage on it but anything bigger would just be too unwieldy and I'd be worried about dropping it. Plus I only have limited space in my pockets...

Yeah I don't grip, I kinda rest it and use my pinky underneath.
I have a Bear Motion case (think OPO sandstone feel), and the N6 has the trademark Moto dimple that kinda locks it into your hand, so resting is fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom