• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotBacon

So much awesome battery tech.......... still in the lab.

Once this shit hits the market(charging in 5 minutes, batteries that last 2-3 times as long), it's gonna be great.

#LithiumAnode
#CarbonNanotubes

So I got my nexus 9 guyz, finally. I went with the white one due to the claims of better build quality and after seeing how nasty the back of the black gets with finger prints from reviews who probably havent used it much it really turned me off.

First impressions, I never would have paid full price for it, and didn't. Build quality of mine is great, no give on the back where the nexus logo is, buttons stick out enough. All looks well on this unit. At 299 it could have been a killer product but I'm just excited to have a lollipop device lol. I still think for the vast majority of people ipads are better but I need my goddamn XBMC and whatnot.

I'm not saying it's not a regression. I'm just saying this is some real first-world-problem shit here :p

i'm just saying it would be a problem if Samsung did it, but people would not only eat shit, but also proclaim that it's not really even that bad if Google put it in a box and called it a Nexus Mudpie.

Is there a reason why it's taking almost 2 months for Calendar 5.0 to show up on my 2013 Moto X? It's the last Google app to be upgraded to Material and the rollout started on the 4th...of November. I'm just going to manually get the APK, but rollouts shouldn't take this long for apps, right?

thespot84

Is there a reason why it's taking almost 2 months for Calendar 5.0 to show up on my 2013 Moto X? It's the last Google app to be upgraded to Material and the rollout started on the 4th...of November. I'm just going to manually get the APK, but rollouts shouldn't take this long for apps, right?

showed up on mine a while ago, sounds like something's not quite right. Just download the APK (or use today calendar because it's better)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I got my nexus 9 guyz, finally. I went with the white one due to the claims of better build quality and after seeing how nasty the back of the black gets with finger prints from reviews who probably havent used it much it really turned me off.

First impressions, I never would have paid full price for it, and didn't. Build quality of mine is great, no give on the back where the nexus logo is, buttons stick out enough. All looks well on this unit. At 299 it could have been a killer product but I'm just excited to have a lollipop device lol. I still think for the vast majority of people ipads are better but I need my goddamn XBMC and whatnot.
How much did you pay for it and how? Also, what do you think about the performance?

reKon

Banned
Nexus 9 could have been God Tier, but then Google had to make our all boring maintaining that Nexus like design. The Nvidia Shield tablet is still looking like the much better deal, lol

I like my Nexus 9 a lot, but I'm over dealing with the build quality. If my next unit isn't good I'm just gonna get something else, probably a SHIELD.

My screen scratched. What the fuck? I haven't even taken the thing anywhere out of my house or within 2 feet of my sofa. I have never scratched a screen in my life. That plus light bleed and screen flickering.

I really, really, really, really like the design a lot. It's basically a giant Nexus 5 and I love that device's design as well. It's minimalistic and doesn't look like a toy.

But then there a little nuances that really just weird me out. How does it not have HDMI support or a SD card slot? This is Android, both should be standard. Why is the battery life below average? I get about 3-4 hours gaming, barely over 7 hours just doing whatever. It's not bad, it's just not good either.

It either needs a substantial price drop or a new revision. I love the thing and my nitpicks are minor, but Google really needs to take shit up a notch with the Nexus brand.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I like my Nexus 9 a lot, but I'm over dealing with the build quality. If my next unit isn't good I'm just gonna get something else, probably a SHIELD.

My screen scratched. What the fuck? I haven't even taken the thing anywhere out of my house or within 2 feet of my sofa. I have never scratched a screen in my life. That plus light bleed and screen flickering.

I really, really, really, really like the design a lot. It's basically a giant Nexus 5 and I love that device's design as well. It's minimalistic and doesn't look like a toy.

But then there a little nuances that really just weird me out. How does it not have HDMI support or a SD card slot? This is Android, both should be standard. Why is the battery life below average? I get about 3-4 hours gaming, barely over 7 hours just doing whatever. It's not bad, it's just not good either.

It either needs a substantial price drop or a new revision. I love the thing and my nitpicks are minor, but Google really needs to take shit up a notch with the Nexus brand.

Surely you can get HDMI output from the USB port via some adapter or other...? I think all other recent Nexuses can do this (although they've changed which standard they use for it, which is why I don't know which one the N9 uses).

Surely you can get HDMI output from the USB port via some adapter or other...? I think all other recent Nexuses can do this (although they've changed which standard they use for it, which is why I don't know which one the N9 uses).
As far as I can tell you can't. There are posts on XDA saying both MHL and Slimport don't work. I would love to be told wrong though.

It's not a huge deal as I can just use my phone instead.

NotBacon

i'm just saying it would be a problem if Samsung did it, but people would not only eat shit, but also proclaim that it's not really even that bad if Google put it in a box and called it a Nexus Mudpie.

Probably, but I still stick to my statement. It's like Android OT has turned into Whining About Every Damn Change OT.

Enco

Hey guys, I've been thinking about trying out Android recently and am wondering what my best bet would be.

I've been using iOS since the iPod Touch 2G and I just want to experience something new. Right now I have a 5S.

I don't want to buy a flagship right now because there are likely going to be new phones in a few months and I'd like to wait and see what happens.

However, I really want to test Android to see if I would like it and so I'm thinking of getting a cheap/old phone. I've narrowed it down to a few options and am wondering if you guys think it's a good idea.

1. Moto G - the cheapest but most gimped
2. Moto X 2013 - expensive but possibly the best? Could get it used
3. Nexus 5 - middle of the last two

Should I get one of those phones just to get a feel for Android and possibly sell it after a few months or keep it as a backup? Thanks!

As far as I can tell you can't. There are posts on XDA saying both MHL and Slimport don't work. I would love to be told wrong though.

MHL definitely works on the Tab S :D

what about Miracast? or you could always get a Chromecast and use screen mirroring.

Volotaire

The HTC One M9 leaked specs sound good. 810 Snapdragon chip, no more Ultrapixel camera setup on the back (at least), a 1080p screen instead of Quad HD, retaining the same form factor as the old phone (although it's still too big for me). I hope they manage to fit 4GB instead of the rumoured 3GB, the battery size is larger than what is specified (2840 mAH), the power button is moved from the top, and an improved design from the M8. Z4 might be more appealing if they can improve the UI with Lollipop and and the rumoured quad HD screen does not dampen the excellent battery life in the Z3 too much with more efficient components.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Huh, OK. Weird to leave that out, given that every Nexus since the GNex (or even earlier...?) has had it.

How much did you pay for it and how? Also, what do you think about the performance?
So I spent the night using it a ton. A sensual night it was. But yeah for your first question I paid 329.99 for it. That's $100 difference in canada. It was on sale from 429 to 399 plus I had a gift card. This is for the 16gb since I don't really store much on the device.

So far the only SOMEWHAT disappointing thing is battery life but I'm coming from an ipad which had insane battery. It's not bad it's just not insane like I'm used to. I think the claims are about right though on the reviews. Other than that performance seems good when navigating around the OS, no hiccups or anything like that. No jitters. Some apps on the other hand can be really hit or miss but I'm guessing that's an optimization thing. For instance I downloaded XBMC/Kodi right away since that's something I use a lot. When I tried to watch something it crashed and wouldn't work at all no matter how many times I re-open the app. Had to clear cache and all was well. Honestly most apps are fine and that might not even be a nexus 9 thing maybe that's just Kodi.

Overall performance it's good. It's what I expected. I still think the price point is too high but no real complaints on mine....YET. Build quality is good on mine, performance is solid and fast, lollipop running well. Had an update right outa the box too (bless nexus).

The HTC One M9 leaked specs sound good. 810 Snapdragon chip, no more Ultrapixel camera setup on the back (at least), a 1080p screen instead of Quad HD, retaining the same form factor as the old phone (although it's still too big for me). I hope they manage to fit 4GB instead of the rumoured 3GB, the battery size is larger than what is specified (2840 mAH), the power button is moved from the top, and an improved design from the M8. Z4 might be more appealing if they can improve the UI with Lollipop and and the rumoured quad HD screen does not dampen the excellent battery life in the Z3 too much with more efficient components.

so it's mid-range? maybe they'll release a 2H flagship...

daoster

So nexus 6 owners.... Huge size aside, is it a good phone? You guys liking it so far? Thinking about buying one, but dunno if I should or hold off for 2015 flagship

So nexus 6 owners.... Huge size aside, is it a good phone? You guys liking it so far? Thinking about buying one, but dunno if I should or hold off for 2015 flagship
If you don't mind the huge size then why not just get it? There won't be a better phone running stock for at least close to a year. To me the huge size and the huge price are the mega downsides. If you don't mind em then gittttt it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I spent the night using it a ton. A sensual night it was. But yeah for your first question I paid 329.99 for it. That's $100 difference in canada. It was on sale from 429 to 399 plus I had a gift card. This is for the 16gb since I don't really store much on the device.

So far the only SOMEWHAT disappointing thing is battery life but I'm coming from an ipad which had insane battery. It's not bad it's just not insane like I'm used to. I think the claims are about right though on the reviews. Other than that performance seems good when navigating around the OS, no hiccups or anything like that. No jitters. Some apps on the other hand can be really hit or miss but I'm guessing that's an optimization thing. For instance I downloaded XBMC/Kodi right away since that's something I use a lot. When I tried to watch something it crashed and wouldn't work at all no matter how many times I re-open the app. Had to clear cache and all was well. Honestly most apps are fine and that might not even be a nexus 9 thing maybe that's just Kodi.

Overall performance it's good. It's what I expected. I still think the price point is too high but no real complaints on mine....YET. Build quality is good on mine, performance is solid and fast, lollipop running well. Had an update right outa the box too (bless nexus).
Leave it on for longer than a day. You'll have memory issues. Everything will constantly reload. But anyway, good to hear it's been good to you so far. I'm returning mine soon.

I'm not sure what are people's gripe with 2k displays. It's the natural progression for technology. "I can't see the difference" isn't a viable excuse. The goal of tech is to produce images that look as close to reality as possible. I see arguments based on battery life but that will improve. Some people fantasize about how long battery life would be with just a 1080p display. Well, imagine how long would it be with a qHD display.

Hasney

I'm not sure what are people's gripe with 2k displays. It's the natural progression for technology. "I can't see the difference" isn't a viable excuse. The goal of tech is to produce images that look as close to reality as possible. I see arguments based on battery life but that will improve. Some people fantasize about how long battery life would be with just a 1080p display. Well, imagine how long would it be with a qHD display.

I know, right? Give me some qHD if I can get even more battery. I just wish there were more options rather than everyone being the same.

Leave it on for longer than a day. You'll have memory issues. Everything will constantly reload. But anyway, good to hear it's been good to you so far. I'm returning mine soon.
when you say memory issues what do you mean? I'm going to keep mine all day and use it plenty and I'll see if anything weird happens but so far so normal.

Wreav

Banned
Haven't gotten more than 2.5 SoT on the Note 4 in the week I've used it. Dropped 5% in an hour this morning. Sammy bringing that hot garbage as usual.

I think it's just that the battery tech and processors haven't caught up with QHD screens yet. Although I was fine with my G3. Battery was fine on it, but that just may be cause LG knows how to do batteries.

NotBacon

Hey guys, I've been thinking about trying out Android recently and am wondering what my best bet would be.

I've been using iOS since the iPod Touch 2G and I just want to experience something new. Right now I have a 5S.

I don't want to buy a flagship right now because there are likely going to be new phones in a few months and I'd like to wait and see what happens.

However, I really want to test Android to see if I would like it and so I'm thinking of getting a cheap/old phone. I've narrowed it down to a few options and am wondering if you guys think it's a good idea.

1. Moto G - the cheapest but most gimped
2. Moto X 2013 - expensive but possibly the best? Could get it used
3. Nexus 5 - middle of the last two

Should I get one of those phones just to get a feel for Android and possibly sell it after a few months or keep it as a backup? Thanks!

Maybe Nexus 5 since Moto X doesn't have Lollipop yet, but the others would be fine too for something introductory. Then once you get the itch, you can sell to upgrade to the Nexus 6 master race :p

Best phone I've ever used, but what do I know?

bring back VGA displays!

jesalr

I don't believe most have an issue with 2K screens, but rather the prioritisation of 2K over other facets of the phone. Most I know would rather take 1080p with a superior battery life than 2K and the hit it has. In the future, that hit will be mitigated, or batteries will be able to absorb it with ease, but right now, the bump in res simply isn't worth it.

Enco

Maybe Nexus 5 since Moto X doesn't have Lollipop yet, but the others would be fine too for something introductory. Then once you get the itch, you can sell to upgrade to the Nexus 6 master race :p

Best phone I've ever used, but what do I know?
Thanks!

I'll see if I can get a good deal on a Nexus. If not, I might just go Moto G for a test run of a few weeks. The big decision will probably come next September. If Apple tries to pull an Apple and there's no RAM upgrade, I'll move over to Android. Hopefully I'll try it out before then though.

Gotta keep things fresh.

N6 is too crazy for me though. No way I could use a 6" phone. 4.5-5.2" is the best range imo.

Hasney

I don't believe most have an issue with 2K screens, but rather the prioritisation of 2K over other facets of the phone. Most I know would rather take 1080p with a superior battery life than 2K and the hit it has. In the future, that hit will be mitigated, or batteries will be able to absorb it with ease, but right now, the bump in res simply isn't worth it.

Pretty much. I appreciate it on 6"+ screens, but below that it doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for other things.

Zomba13

Ok, quick question but is there a way to get all these fucking emails out of my contacts? I remember, before 5.0, I sorted it out to only have real, actual phone numbers in my contacts and to not add emails but I've checked for the first time since 5.0 and now it's full of email contacts including EVERY SINGLE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT HAS EVER SENT ME AN EMAIL EVEN FROM FUCKING YEARS AND YEARS AGO. I've gone back into the account stuff and stopped it syncing contacts but I've still got hundreds of email addresses from shit like customer service accounts, automated invoice things, donotreply and I can't see a quick way to delete all email contacts. I have to go into each one, go into edit, then the options in edit, then delete and do this HUNDREDS of times.

There has to be a better way right? Or do I say fuck it, scrap the whole contact list and just re-add the ones from memory that I want and put a post on facebook asking for peoples numbers for the ones I've forgotten?

Zomba13

I deleted all the contacts I didn't want out of Google Contacts on the web and it seemed to sort it.

I ended up downloading a contact manager app, mobilego or something, plugged my phone in, enabled debug mode, deleted all contacts that didn't have a phone number attached, merged all duplicates and I'm mostly done now. I have a few dupes (like 3 entries for my sister, two to check my balance and a few others) but mostly clean and tidy now. Made sure that the sync was off for contacts too. Hope this doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom